Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE
i don't get it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tokyo Sexwhale posted:

Where is this and where can I find it, I'm without a PC due to prepping to move back to the US and I'm stuck in Japan waiting for the sweet release of death waiting until my flight on Friday and I need something to binge watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAIKFontLtU

Just use https://www.twitch.tv/bobross

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Bilirubin posted:

That was a good post

Moving away from a disney princess poontang posting hub seems to be working out. :unsmith:

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings
Thanks for all those pages about a shitposter posting guys* 170 new posts since I last left the HOI4 thread had me momentarily excited that someone had done a thing in eve .

*just doing my bit

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Endie posted:

Thanks for all those pages about a shitposter posting guys* 170 new posts since I last left the HOI4 thread had me momentarily excited that someone had done a thing in eve .

*just doing my bit

HOI4? Teach me sempai!

I bought HOI2 and 3 (i think) and i just can't figure out the 3rd. Is the 4th out and if so, how is it compared to the 2 I mentioned?

I never really figured out industry and it bugs me.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

HoI4 released on the 6th, which may be yesterday depending on your timezone. As to how it is, I have no idea! I'm assuming it's less completely opaque than its predecessors. I guarantee it's prettier-looking, since it's built on the same engine as CK2 and EUIV and Stellaris.

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Dalael posted:

HOI4? Teach me sempai!

I bought HOI2 and 3 (i think) and i just can't figure out the 3rd. Is the 4th out and if so, how is it compared to the 2 I mentioned?

4 launched yesterday (June 6th, geddit?) and while it has some rough edges (the AI is variable, some of the undoubtedly massively-improved interface design changes are not perfectly implemented yet) it has more of the feel of HOI2 cross-bred with EU4. It's not a simple game, but it isn't the terrifying wall of broken complexity that HOI3 was at launch.

At the moment, you get a bonus Poland DLC that has yet to be rebalanced so if you turn off the historical AI focus you can do some very weird alt-history with a decent chance to recreate the Polish-Lithuanian empire of the medieval period.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
Must resist the urge to buy it... muuust... resist!

Endie
Feb 7, 2007

Jings

Dalael posted:

Must resist the urge to buy it... muuust... resist!

yeah what if it eats into your valuable eve time

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Endie posted:

yeah what if it eats into your valuable eve posting time

Fixed.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Dalael posted:

HOI4? Teach me sempai!

Learning Hearts of Iron 3 for me was about as much work as the average liberal arts class. I put together a binder of notes, planned out divisions in Excel and researching plans year by year, then realized it was a "game" that was even more work than eve.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

pseudanonymous posted:

Learning Hearts of Iron 3 for me was about as much work as the average liberal arts class. I put together a binder of notes, planned out divisions in Excel and researching plans year by year, then realized it was a "game" that was even more work than eve.

That's pretty much it. I felt that HOI2 was much simpler and took less time to understand. I had a lot of fun with that one.
When the 3rd one came out, I bought it right away. I tried a few times and realized that some things were different and I just couldn't enjoy it as much.
I'm hoping it will be different with the 4th.

Endie posted:

yeah what if it eats into your valuable eve time

I don't play EVE often lately. Just haven't really felt the urge to play anything really.

:justpost:

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Dalael posted:

I don't play EVE often lately. Just haven't really felt the urge to play anything really.

Spirit. Waning.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Glory of Arioch posted:

yeah, but i heard "october" from more than one person, maybe it was a meme

We're dealing with Manny here, of course we expect him to overstay his welcome by a large margin. A month after the Alliance tourney is a totally reasonable expectation.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

YouTuber posted:

We're dealing with Manny here, of course we expect him to overstay his welcome by a large margin. A month after the Alliance tourney is a totally reasonable expectation.

it's like someone made a liar out of 'im and now he's being thrown under the bus

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Xolve posted:

Spirit. Waning.

We're not the ones headed for the door :colbert:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
there is so much attempted chill itt holy poo poo lol

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Orange Red Bull posted:

We're not the ones headed for the door :colbert:

We know- you guys ran through it months ago.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
no shame in not holding what you can't hold so dont be so sensitive about y'all leaving the north :)

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Endie posted:

PL's API is not in zkill, Bat's is not and if I find out that any Bat member has their API on zkill I'll tell them to delete it. I explicitly ask every member, when they join, to delete every API key they have for all their characters outside of PL service ones and you can see that in the recruitment threads for each of them.

:spergin:

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
So Goonfleet has a physical workout room thread. Correction, category, right next to internet spaceship wars, workout.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Xolve posted:

lol

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Xolve posted:

After being the last man standing, yes. Yall ran through it before the patch even dropped :laugh:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Ok

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

bluegoon posted:

So Goonfleet has a physical workout room thread. Correction, category, right next to internet spaceship wars, workout.

So, you guys work out, right?

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

shut up idiot

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER
Other than limiting an enemy's ability to see your live kills/losses, or track your fleet movements by KBs, I don't understand the purpose of removing your API from ZKB. And that seems like such a small, senseless reason. Particularly when everyone is a goddamned spy nowadays.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Baculus posted:

Other than limiting an enemy's ability to see your live kills/losses, or track your fleet movements by KBs, I don't understand the purpose of removing your API from ZKB. And that seems like such a small, senseless reason. Particularly when everyone is a goddamned spy nowadays.

I don't understand why CCP doesn't run their own killboards when activity is the holy measure of the game's health and they're always so drat hungry for publicity outside the client.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

Baculus posted:

there's actually a bigger problem with pl's arguement here

sure, assume only half their stuff makes it to zkillboard. there's no real reason that half would be different than the half that doesn't - and so their statistics collapsing on zkill indicates their stats collapsed globally

it's not like they just removed the apis last month or anything

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

frozenpussy posted:

I don't understand why CCP doesn't run their own killboards when activity is the holy measure of the game's health and they're always so drat hungry for publicity outside the client.

same reason they don't straight up own things like evemon and pyfa -- they are incapable of making basic business decisions

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
They could run facebook ads like, 'a ship is killed every 2 seconds, get in on the action.'

It's misleading as poo poo and only sets people up for disappointment but that doesn't stop them now.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

like it ain't rocket surgery -- developers making non-/low profit sites for their hobby will sell their poo poo for pennies on the dollar, and work for about the same, you acquire the product and hire the developer to maintain it

probably would have better ROI than, say, WoD

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

Glory of Arioch posted:

same reason they don't straight up own things like evemon and pyfa -- they are incapable of making basic business decisions

It frustrates me to no end that so many of the tools I have to use to play this game have virtually no guaranteed official support, or are built by me (and therefor loving terrible).

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

frozenpussy posted:

(1) ccp is bad at coding things and will produce a worse killboard
(2) that would create a real-time intel source everyone would scrape that you couldn't avoid giving your info to

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
What I'd love to see are ISK kill totals distributed according to damage percentage. Include characters who land things like points and ewar on the kill parade, but don't add ISK to their stats unless they do damage, and only the portion of the loss according to their damage percent.

Retroactively adjust those stats too. The great killboard paradigm revolution

Hexel
Nov 18, 2011

Baculus posted:

I don't understand the purpose of removing your API from ZKB

It gives the illusion of security and being ~better~ in a guild founded upon being better than everyone else.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

frozenpussy posted:

What I'd love to see are ISK kill totals distributed according to damage percentage. Include characters who land things like points and ewar on the kill parade, but don't add ISK to their stats unless they do damage, and only the portion of the loss according to their damage percent.

Retroactively adjust those stats too. The great killboard paradigm revolution

I think it's CCP Quant who does all their statistics work? And does it in the most hamfisted, "I learned what a BI server is and plugged a bunch of database bullshit into it" way. When they talk about quantitative analysis of this game I get more frustrated than bored - and that should never be the case.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

evilweasel posted:

(1) ccp is bad at coding things and will produce a worse killboard

Well-settled fact.

evilweasel posted:

(2) that would create a real-time intel source everyone would scrape that you couldn't avoid giving your info to

They could easily make it do a 24-hour refresh. Or 48-hour. Currently I just have to get a clean API into an enemy corp, and I know where they're going before they even undock.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Baculus posted:

How about because... we don't want to put our APIs in?

Why are Goons so interested in PL's killboard stats? Or anyone's really? It's not like we're trying to hide losses- everything gets posted eventually.

Glory of Arioch posted:

like it ain't rocket surgery -- developers making non-/low profit sites for their hobby will sell their poo poo for pennies on the dollar, and work for about the same, you acquire the product and hire the developer to maintain it

probably would have better ROI than, say, WoD

But this would be a sensible thing for them to do- :ccp: and all.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Jun 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Baculus posted:

I think it's CCP Quant who does all their statistics work? And does it in the most hamfisted, "I learned what a BI server is and plugged a bunch of database bullshit into it" way. When they talk about quantitative analysis of this game I get more frustrated than bored - and that should never be the case.

quote:

If you torture the data long enough, it will confess to anything

I'm about to have an existential EVE crisis can we talk about something else. lol

• Locked thread