Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*
Goddamn trollass Carnage Heart.

Doesn't even have good rolls.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Here's another one from halfway through a dry lake

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

holky gently caress

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

I'll Sequence your Storm.
I have been getting a lot of lag spikes for a while. It doesn't seem to matter which gateway I use. Other games are fine. I realize the problem might be "on my end" but there isn't anything I can actually do about it.

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009

Phobophilia posted:

holky gently caress

Daebak

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord

baby puzzle posted:

I have been getting a lot of lag spikes for a while. It doesn't seem to matter which gateway I use. Other games are fine. I realize the problem might be "on my end" but there isn't anything I can actually do about it.

It's not on your end.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

baby puzzle posted:

my machine never* stuttered last league, now I get frame drops in town

*exception: sundering mjölner with 3 ball lightnings and several knock back jewels, but that was dumb on my part

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Real Foogla posted:

my machine never* stuttered last league, now I get frame drops in town

*exception: sundering mjölner with 3 ball lightnings and several knock back jewels, but that was dumb on my part

Switching networking to predictive seems to be working for me. Something is seriously hosed at their network provider.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

Ok I just watched my dude die when I had no control whatsoever. These lag spikes are weird because the game continues to play out but I have no control. It is like the only packets dropping are the ones going from my machine to the server.

It isn't like the spikes where the game freezes entirely and then fast-forwards through the last few seconds of gameplay. I am using lockstep mode.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...PrS-wn-Cv5J_rM=

Here's my planned skill build for this league. One point unspent because I helped oak. Any skilled witches feedback welcome.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

i'm playing a firestorm templar and its really poo poo

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
I had a couple spikes of several seconds of the game locking up for me last night, but for the most part it's been fine on my end.

Also, Shield Charge is now amazing and good and running it with Facebreaker is glorious. You clear poo poo so fast starting immediately at 16, I've never gotten through Normal this quickly.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
Playing this game again, looking for a guild invite; ingame name Delerion.

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Here's my planned skill build for this league. One point unspent because I helped oak. Any skilled witches feedback welcome.
You spend an absurd amount of points to grab every aura node and skill duration node on the tree, bypassing a lot of really good survivability nodes on the way. I'm guessing you're planning some sort of aurabot support summoner and that you're playing softcore. On hardcore I would definitely dump one of the paths and spend 13 points to pick up 65% (!) max life you have bypassed. 5x5% in Scion life wheel, 0%+5%+5%+10% in witch area, 0%+5%+5%+10% in templar area.

Also, you should probably consider Necromantic Aegis and wield a Victario's Charity to give your minions and party a bunch of free charges.

Finally, I hope you know that you are extremely unlikely to complete a 122 point build in a temporary league. Especially a build that scales as poorly into the endgame as this. Most people quit playing their summoners well before they hit 90, not to mention 100. Summoners are cheap and great for building a nest egg, but once you get to a certain level of wealth, you can just be so much more powerful with other builds.

:captainpop:

Hauki
May 11, 2010

dis astranagant posted:

Switching networking to predictive seems to be working for me. Something is seriously hosed at their network provider.

Yeah I actually did this too last night and it was noticeably better. As much as the idea of playing shield charge without lockstep disturbs me, predictive seems to actually function unlike lockstep. Note that I'm still sitting between 25-40ms ping while my lockstep goes to poo poo.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Elerion posted:

You spend an absurd amount of points to grab every aura node and skill duration node on the tree, bypassing a lot of really good survivability nodes on the way. I'm guessing you're planning some sort of aurabot support summoner and that you're playing softcore. On hardcore I would definitely dump one of the paths and spend 13 points to pick up 65% (!) max life you have bypassed. 5x5% in Scion life wheel, 0%+5%+5%+10% in witch area, 0%+5%+5%+10% in templar area.

Also, you should probably consider Necromantic Aegis and wield a Victario's Charity to give your minions and party a bunch of free charges.

Finally, I hope you know that you are extremely unlikely to complete a 122 point build in a temporary league. Especially a build that scales as poorly into the endgame as this. Most people quit playing their summoners well before they hit 90, not to mention 100. Summoners are cheap and great for building a nest egg, but once you get to a certain level of wealth, you can just be so much more powerful with other builds.

:captainpop:

Does elementalist or occultist scale better into endgame?

panda clue
May 23, 2014

killstealing posted:

Up to t5 maps and still nuking bosses in a few casts

can confirm. just did uber izaro yesterday on my first try. The regen from two kaom's rings really pushes the build through the roof in terms of survivability, and my damage with 9 charges still feels obscene in t9 maps on a 4 link.

Does elementalist or occultist scale better into endgame?

necromancer is fine endgame, dont listen to that guy. it just scales mostly with gem level rather than gear.

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

panda clue posted:

necromancer is fine endgame, dont listen to that guy. it just scales mostly with gem level rather than gear.

To expand on this a little, necromancers are defo strong enough to reach level 100, they just have a slow clear speed relative to flavor of the month builds, which will pretty much always be based around having insane clear speed (e.g. vaal spark casters having to do literally nothing but walk through a map while hitting one button every 10 seconds to clear it.) If you enjoy the play style of summoners, it shouldn't be a problem. You can still reach 90 alright, and reaching level 100 is a pointless endeavor that doesn't even give you a cheevo.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Count Uvula posted:

To expand on this a little, necromancers are defo strong enough to reach level 100, they just have a slow clear speed relative to flavor of the month builds

counterpoint: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otckbYaXTao

although the dude isn't actually playing a necro, he'd probably be better off if he was.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Making the impossible possumable

My thoughts as a summoner:

- You need more life. Non-typical monsters (magic/rare/unique) are smart enough to focus on you from time to time, and will do so more often the rarer they get (uniques will almost exclusively focus on you). Skimping on life the way your build does will guarantee that you will splat at Cruel, if not sooner, and your auras don't work if you're dead.

- I ended up killing all the bandits across all the difficulties for the skill points. Arguably I probably could have saved a skill point to help Normal!Oak for the HP bonus, but it depends. Trying to get all those aura nodes, life nodes, and minion nodes might make an extra skill point quite valuable.

- As Elerion commented, you're likely not going to reach level 100 in the prophecy league unless you want to poopsock hardcore and have buddies to help your speed-leveling. I'd suggest aiming for level 60-70 depending on your leveling pace.

- If you plan on using Lightning Warp as a mode of transportation (which I do), I would suggest avoiding the duration nodes. If you're not, then disregard this!

For reference, this is my tree at level 75. I plan to get the remaining Templar life nodes (and perhaps Whispers of Doom) over the rest of my levels, and the stat nodes can be redirected to get another jewel socket, but for the most part, my build is done.

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Jun 7, 2016

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Pooncha posted:

My thoughts as a summoner:

- You need more life. Non-typical monsters (magic/rare/unique) are smart enough to focus on you from time to time, and will do so more often the rarer they get (uniques will almost exclusively focus on you). Skimping on life the way your build does will guarantee that you will splat at Cruel, if not sooner, and your auras don't work if you're dead.

- I ended up killing all the bandits across all the difficulties for the skill points. Arguably I probably could have saved a skill point to help Normal!Oak for the HP bonus, but it depends. Trying to get all those aura nodes, life nodes, and minion nodes might make an extra skill point quite valuable.

- As Elerion commented, you're likely not going to reach level 100 in the prophecy league unless you want to poopsock hardcore and have buddies to help your speed-leveling. I'd suggest aiming for level 60-70 depending on your leveling pace.

- If you plan on using Lightning Warp as a mode of transportation (which I do), I would suggest avoiding the duration nodes. If you're not, then disregard this!

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...vsJ_gr-Sf6B_o8=

This better?

I only use lightning warp for precision trap avoiding in the labyrinth, otherwise I use flame dash.

baby puzzle
Jun 3, 2011

In what case is lightning warp better than flame dash?

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

baby puzzle posted:

Lightning Warp can be spammed as long as you have the mana and its speed scales with gem level/supports.

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=
Is there a limit to how many Raging Spirits you can have out at once? I saw how cheap Null's Inclinations are and am thinking about stuffing 6 SRS gems in one (or maybe 4 and some supports) in an otherwise fairly normal bow build (with southbound if it works with Null's?). From what I've seen on the wiki it's only CoC that has the limitations of not triggering gems with the same name.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

whypick1 posted:

Lightning Warp can be spammed as long as you have the mana and its speed scales with gem level/supports.

And it has a much longer range and doesn't require shift+clicking and can jump large gaps.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

baby puzzle posted:

when you have 20/20 lightning warp/faster casting/less duration. then its the best movement ability in the game... or at least it would be, if it could proc fortify T_T

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

gonadic io posted:

Is there a limit to how many Raging Spirits you can have out at once? I saw how cheap Null's Inclinations are and am thinking about stuffing 6 SRS gems in one (or maybe 4 and some supports) in an otherwise fairly normal bow build (with southbound if it works with Null's?). From what I've seen on the wiki it's only CoC that has the limitations of not triggering gems with the same name.

Mulozon Empuri
Jan 23, 2006

Gonna try out the softcore league this time around since I suck at this game. Lets see if I make it past level 65 for once.

Please invite KlakFresh if there's any room in the guild.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Hauki posted:

No, the 1ex listings are way overpriced. They were like 15c early in the league, jumped to 20-25c pretty quickly and now people are just buying and relisting poo poo dumbly. There was one listed for a bit at like 15 ex.

They were like 3c at the end of last league at most.

This league is not like last league. They made Jewels a lot more rare overall. So the price will never be 5c again. Expect 20c+ to be the new norm. Also I am doing the build just fine without the jewel. So it can be done until you can save up for the jewel.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

gonadic io posted:

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

https://www.pathofexile.com/passive...vsJ_gr-Sf6B_o8=

This better?

I only use lightning warp for precision trap avoiding in the labyrinth, otherwise I use flame dash.

More life, seriously. Even with the tree I linked you, I'm sitting at 4k right now (that's with Energy Shield) at level 75 and I can still be 2-shotted if I get careless. Also, short of poopsocking you're never going to get that many skill points in Prophecy unless you plan on playing this build into standard afterwards.

What are the skill duration nodes for? Totems? Curses? If it's either of those, you haven't specced enough in them to make the points invested in skill duration worthwhile.

What are the +30 stat nodes for? I only took mine to be able to wear certain pieces of gear, and that requires you to plan on wearing that piece of gear to begin with.

Finally, Elerion's post:

Elerion posted:

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Jun 7, 2016

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Pooncha posted:

More life, seriously. Even with the tree I linked you, I'm sitting at 4k right now (that's with Energy Shield) at level 75 and I can still be 2-shotted if I get careless. Also, short of poopsocking you're never going to get that many skill points in Prophecy unless you plan on playing this build into standard afterwards.

What are the skill duration nodes for? Totems? Curses? If it's either of those, you haven't specced enough in them to make the points invested in skill duration worthwhile.

What are the +30 stat nodes for? I only took mine to be able to wear certain pieces of gear.

Finally, Elerion's post:

Okay, how MUCH more life? And not Energy Shield? It's EHP either way, isn't it? I'm getting a lot of mileage out of Discipline.

SRS, mostly. It's also great for offerings. With this much I can hit the cap of 50 SRS with a pledge of hands.

Requirements on red and green skill gems.
Red:Added fire damage, stone golem, more duration, double strike.
Green: hatred, haste, desecrate.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Jun 7, 2016

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

What kind of summoner are you going for? If you are going SRS you don't need the minion life nodes as thier life doesn't matter only damage. If you are going zombies/specters you don't need the duration nodes. And with 30% duration from the Mistress of Sacrifice ascendancy points I don't think you would even need both duration clusters even if you are going SRS. Skeletons are not worth investing into aside from a spell totem for boss fights, but you will be starved for available links as it is and may need to use unset rings. Auras are good, you can easily run haste + hatred and then clarity/a purity/discipline for more Commander of Darkness bonuses.

Too many points and not enough life. 109% is not enough and you do not have enough ES to go hybrid. Like Pooncha and Elerion said 100 is not a realistic goal unless you are seriously going to poopsock you way through the league.

This a level ~90 build with more life that's a bit more reasonable. http://poeurl.com/FVC

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Bugsy posted:

What kind of summoner are you going for? If you are going SRS you don't need the minion life nodes as thier life doesn't matter only damage. If you are going zombies/specters you don't need the duration nodes. And with 30% duration from the Mistress of Sacrifice ascendancy points I don't think you would even need both duration clusters even if you are going SRS. Skeletons are not worth investing into aside from a spell totem for boss fights, but you will be starved for available links as it is and may need to use unset rings. Auras are good, you can easily run haste + hatred and then clarity/a purity/discipline for more Commander of Darkness bonuses.

Too many points and not enough life. 109% is not enough and you do not have enough ES to go hybrid. Like Pooncha and Elerion said 100 is not a realistic goal unless you are seriously going to poopsock you way through the league.

This a level ~90 build with more life that's a bit more reasonable. http://poeurl.com/FVC

I don't plan on poopsocking to 100. I just want to get to the point I'm doing maps and maybe uber atziri just because I want to see the content.

Pooncha
Feb 15, 2014

Chaos damage bypasses ES entirely unless you took the Chaos Inoculation node, or have certain unique items that explicitly say "Chaos Damage does not bypass Energy Shield". Chaos damage can and will be a problem, especially at later difficulties and once you start doing maps (which you will, if you plan to be getting that many skill points).

Certain control effects, such as stunning and freeze duration if you are frozen, is dependent on how much life you have. The more life you have, the less likely you are to be stunned/interrupted when hit, and if you are frozen, the duration is shorter. I'm not a mechanics nerd so I'm pretty sure I didn't list all of the other things that's dependent on your life total, but those are a few.

There are two easy-to-get clusters of life nodes: The three early in the Witch tree en route to Death Attunement, and the three on the Templar side towards Sanctity. On the way to get Charisma, you passed the Hired Killer cluster of life nodes.

Bugsy covered most of the issues with your build so I won't repeat them, but I'd also like to add that as a summoner, is your main source of damage going to be SRS, or the zombies/spectres/golem/guardian quatrafecta? I am the latter, thus my lack of focus in the skill duration nodes, if that explains things. Once you have that figured out, then you can build around that. :)

Pooncha fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Jun 7, 2016

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Pooncha posted:

Chaos damage bypasses ES entirely unless you took the Chaos Inoculation node, or have certain unique items that explicitly say "Chaos Damage does not bypass Energy Shield". Chaos damage can and will be a problem, especially at later difficulties and once you start doing maps (which you will, if you plan to be getting that many skill points).

Certain control effects, such as stunning and freeze duration if you are frozen, is dependent on how much life you have. The more life you have, the less likely you are to be stunned/interrupted when hit, and if you are frozen, the duration is shorter. I'm not a mechanics nerd so I'm pretty sure I didn't list all of the other things that's dependent on your life total, but those are a few.

There are two easy-to-get clusters of life nodes: The three early in the Witch tree en route to Death Attunement, and the three on the Templar side towards Sanctity. 11 skill points for Charisma and a jewel socket is completely not worth it (and on the way to that, you passed the Hired Killer cluster of life nodes).

Bugsy covered most of the issues with your build so I won't repeat them, but I'd also like to add that as a summoner, is your main source of damage going to be SRS, or the zombies/spectres/golem/guardian quatrafecta? I am the latter, thus my lack of focus in the skill duration nodes, if that explains things. Once you have that figured out, then you can build around that. :)

My thinking has been 'my main defense is my zombies'. I've learned that is not the case. I don't want them dying if I can help it, even though my own safety comes first. On the other hand, they're easy to replace. I don't know what I want any more. :negative:

Discipline gives shielding to my minions too, right?

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

I don't plan on poopsocking to 100. I just want to get to the point I'm doing maps and maybe uber atziri just because I want to see the content.

I've played thousands of hours and never done uber. Granted, I play hardcore but generally speaking if you want to do uber you should strictly follow a guide specifically designed for uber. Rolling your own build is fine for regular content but for endgame you should let people who have nothing better to do than theorycraft every little detail dictate your build. And have lots of wealth to invest in it.

If your goal is really to do uber and council, something like bladefall miner will probably be the most budget option. I'd check the forums for a build along those lines.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

regulargonzalez posted:

I've played thousands of hours and never done uber. Granted, I play hardcore but generally speaking if you want to do uber you should strictly follow a guide specifically designed for uber. Rolling your own build is fine for regular content but for endgame you should let people who have nothing better to do than theorycraft every little detail dictate your build. And have lots of wealth to invest in it.

If your goal is really to do uber and council, something like bladefall miner will probably be the most budget option. I'd check the forums for a build along those lines.

Is 'regular' Atziri doable casually? :shrug: If 'Uber' Atziri is that hard I'll give up on it until I am running a 'serious build'. I just consider her the 'end point' where I can say 'yeah okay I've gotten a lot of 'stuff' done and feel fine putting the game down or rolling a new character'.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Is regular Atziri doable casually? :shrug:

If you can dodge and look up how to do the fight, absolutely yes. If you want to just facesmash against her and ignore everything, you probably need a lot of gear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
You'll probably brick 2-3 sets before killing Atziri the first time. Then you'll quickly be able to figure out if a build is Atziri viable. It's okay to make builds that can't do her! I do all the time.

• Locked thread