Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Zorodius posted:

The patch made it so you can't blow yourself up in spawn while waiting for the match to start anymore.

what the gently caress blizzard? what else am I gonna do for the first minute of every game?

There's still a way to make stuff explode in spawns, but this delicate method only works on offense.

Step 1. Be Bastion for 50 seconds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

The splash damage of Pharah's rockets is also pretty poo poo, tiny radius and like what, a third or a quarter the damage of a direct hit? It's definitely not the Quake rocket launcher there.

Also she seems to live forever on the enemy side since I and my teammates can't play for poo poo, but gets murdered the instant I hit the air if I try her. :shepicide:

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide
My best Pharah tip is this: hope the enemy team hasn't got any McCrees, Soldiers or Widowmakers.

If they do, which tbh they most probably will, then just play Junkrat instead.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

I usually just play junkrat anyway.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

i could see them buffing phara's splash damage at some point. it really is poo poo

Tiggs
Aug 11, 2002

Theta Zero posted:

I have been instantly killed as Tracer from a direct rocket hit, so there's definitely some damage fall off. But generally yeah, you want to get those direct hits and get them hard and close. Even if you play like a mouthbreather, you'll get an end-game mention just for landing direct hits.

Are you sure you didn't get hit by a Boosted Pharah + Mercy? The rocket always does 120 on a direct hit, but should do 156 when she's boosted.

Video Nasty
Jun 17, 2003

I think I'd rather it just had bigger knockback, like Junkrat's mine. Splash damage is for when you luck out and group a few enemies in the same couple shots. Then your team can rush them down before they heal. Direct hits are terrific and sometimes hard to predict with the variety of movement types and speeds.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Tiggs posted:

Are you sure you didn't get hit by a Boosted Pharah + Mercy? The rocket always does 120 on a direct hit, but should do 156 when she's boosted.

I distinctly remember I was picking her off, so she was isolated, and I've just always been extra careful to use blinks to dodge around Pharahs ever since because of it. I must've just been shot by somebody I didn't notice before getting hit, in that case.

vug
Jan 23, 2015

by Cowcaster
You've got to lead them, skate to where the puck's gonna be. Catch them unawares from above/flanking so they don't try to dodge your rockets. Also, another way she's not like quake 3 rocket launcher is you can't just run right up and shoot someone with a rocket from point blank range because you damage yourself a lot and you're not really tanky enough to rush someone unless you know you're going to out DPS them. Use the conc grenade to push them back out to medium range then blast em

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
$120 on loot boxes so far. I hate you Blizzard.

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

i think it would be better not to spend any money on loot crates (so that blizzard ups the drop rate on the stuff you get from them)

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Samara posted:

Don't hate blizzard, they love you for your money.

Hate yourself for spending $120 on loot boxes. I mean yeah I drop more than that on coffee every two weeks, but at least I'm getting coffee from my local roaster.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Samara posted:

Samara's avatar text posted:

:munch:

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
It's quite funny when people 1 by 1 run into a tiny enclosed space that has 3 Symmetra turrets in it then you just put your lil' beam on them and they chain feed themselves to death.

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

FAUXTON posted:

Don't hate blizzard, they love you for your money.

Hate yourself for spending $120 on loot boxes. I mean yeah I drop more than that on coffee every two weeks, but at least I'm getting coffee from my local roaster.

I'm also the guy that must be $500 into Hearthstone.

Yea, at this point I wish Blizzard had frequent flier miles.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Samara posted:

Have you considered getting an IRA or just giving money to the IRA?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Cake Smashing Boob posted:

My best Pharah tip is this: hope the enemy team hasn't got any McCrees, Soldiers or Widowmakers.

If they do, which tbh they most probably will, then just play Junkrat instead.

Soldiers and Widows are bad news for Pharah but you should be winning your fights with McCree. Most people only know how to hit flashbang + fan every 5 seconds and can't aim so they have to get in close to threaten Pharah in any way. Get directly above McCree and rain rockets straight down on his stupid cowboy head, then concussive blast him if he tries to roll in close.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Samara posted:

I hadn't expanded your title text before (phone posting, that's why) but now I see why you threw $120 at this game in the 2 weeks it's been out.

Have you considered granting power of attorney to a mentally competent person for your finances?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

Anyone know how to turn down the ridiculous bloom in this game? i tried turning down all my settings and it still looks like this

whose idea was it to use a white HUD with no outlines anyway? gosh

I guess I haven't tried the new nvidia drivers but I don't want to gimp my GPU or burn my house down

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Section Z posted:

I finally got rocket man with 76. Learning to be patient about firing my rocket is HARD (especially against Tracer "okay, blink, blink, rewind, blink. NOW rocket?... gently caress, fight was long enough for get to get more blink"). Shame my aim against rapidly moving targets is still fairly garbage under pressure :downs: But I only need to shoot Lucio or Mercy JUST enough to let me pop them with a "close emough" rocket anyways.

Yea, this one took me a bit longer than his ult. I am trying to do the same with Hanzo's scatter shot. I love achievements, but I hate some of the heroes I have to play to get them. I need to just find a team of 11 people to knock the remaining ones out so I can go back to playing Support/Tank 100% of the time.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

Yes, I agree that if you make a frontline tank that exists in the same design space as Reinhardt he won't get played. Luckily, that's not what I was saying.
Well you're doing a pretty lovely job of explaining your position then.

Like every other hero and role in the game, if there was real competition for her slot, then Widowmaker usage would go down and people would pick the sniper that fits their composition or strategy more. I don't think a lot of the people in this thread could emotionally handle playing a game with more than 1.5 good snipers in it though.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

fadam posted:

Well you're doing a pretty lovely job of explaining your position then.

Like every other hero and role in the game, if there was real competition for her slot, then Widowmaker usage would go down and people would pick the sniper that fits their composition or strategy more. I don't think a lot of the people in this thread could emotionally handle playing a game with more than 1.5 good snipers in it though.

There can be no sniper that competes for Widowmaker's slot unless they're even more broken because at this moment Widowmaker already does literally everything a sniper should do.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
my first 4x duplicate box felt worse than I thought it would

DirtyTalk
Apr 7, 2013

DrSeRRoD posted:

Yea, this one took me a bit longer than his ult. I am trying to do the same with Hanzo's scatter shot. I love achievements, but I hate some of the heroes I have to play to get them. I need to just find a team of 11 people to knock the remaining ones out so I can go back to playing Support/Tank 100% of the time.

The achievements are so drat diverse in their difficulty too. Some heroes have laughably easy ones while others have ridiculously stupid hard ones. Hope they start to add more and make it more like WoW's achievement system.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

There can be no sniper that competes for Widowmaker's slot unless they're even more broken because at this moment Widowmaker already does literally everything a sniper should do.

If Hanzo was a 1:1 clone of Widow except for his abilities and ult, teams would run him over Widow on certain maps.

So if they want to increase diversity they can either bring WM down to Hanzo's level, which sucks because Hanzo is trash, or they could elevate Hanzo, which is a good idea because Widowmaker is a fun and powerful hero.

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

exquisite tea posted:

Soldiers and Widows are bad news for Pharah but you should be winning your fights with McCree. Most people only know how to hit flashbang + fan every 5 seconds and can't aim so they have to get in close to threaten Pharah in any way. Get directly above McCree and rain rockets straight down on his stupid cowboy head, then concussive blast him if he tries to roll in close.

If you're playing against retards you can dunk on anyone with anything. I'm assuming competent opposition.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

fadam posted:

If Hanzo was a 1:1 clone of Widow except for his abilities and ult, teams would run him over Widow on certain maps.

So if they want to increase diversity they can either bring WM down to Hanzo's level, which sucks because Hanzo is trash, or they could elevate Hanzo, which is a good idea because Widowmaker is a fun and powerful hero.

Or they could have a character that doesn't have a fast-firing sniper that does a ton of damage that also turns into a powerful mid-range assault rifle while also having an escape tool, DOT mines, enough health to be a frontliner and literally the third or fourth best utility ult in the game (after actual supports). Maybe spread those abilities around other characters???

Widowmaker is like three different heroes in one and every single part of her kit shores up a weakness in a different part.

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.

Minorkos posted:

Anyone know how to turn down the ridiculous bloom in this game? i tried turning down all my settings and it still looks like this

I guess I haven't tried the new nvidia drivers but I don't want to gimp my GPU or burn my house down

I've been staring at the sun for ten minutes a day to build up a tolerance

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Minorkos posted:

I bitched about it in the beta and the thread got like three posts and no other responses, I never saw anyone else complain about it. Specifically I bitched right after they turned Numbani from a nice dark brown into this

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

Or they could have a character that doesn't have a fast-firing sniper that does a ton of damage that also turns into a powerful mid-range assault rifle while also having an escape tool, DOT mines, enough health to be a frontliner and literally the third or fourth best utility ult in the game (after actual supports). Maybe spread those abilities around other characters???

Widowmaker is like three different heroes in one and every single part of her kit shores up a weakness in a different part.

I guess the question is would you rather have a game where heroes are allowed to be as good as WM, or a game where everyone is Mei tier?
Normally I'd say that there's probably a happy middle ground that can be found, but Blizzard doesn't really do that.

Arguing this is pretty pointless because regardless of what the right thing to do is, Blizzard is going to slash and burn and McCree and WM are going to go the way of Zenyatta, and pubs are going to find another hero to blame their negative W:L record on.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

fadam posted:

I guess the question is would you rather have a game where heroes are allowed to be as good as WM, or a game where everyone is Mei tier?
Normally I'd say that there's probably a happy middle ground that can be found, but Blizzard doesn't really do that.

Arguing this is pretty pointless because regardless of what the right thing to do is, Blizzard is going to slash and burn and McCree and WM are going to go the way of Zenyatta, and pubs are going to find another hero to blame their negative W:L record on.

That's not the question at all, I'm not sure how seemingly everyone but you grasps this.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Minorkos posted:

Minrad posted:

I bitched about it in the beta and the thread got like three posts and no other responses, I never saw anyone else complain about it. Specifically I bitched right after they turned Numbani from a nice dark brown into this

Have you guys tried moving away from those spots

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Nah I'm definitely right, nice dodge though.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

fadam posted:

Nah I'm definitely right, nice dodge though.

What is even the point of this?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-06-07-overwatch-blizzard-answers-the-big-questions

Juicy tidbits:

quote:

The way our system worked before, we had different tiers with challenger, advanced, expert, master and heroic. Within the whole system, you could never drop from a tier. So even if you got to master, you would never drop out of that tier, no matter how much you lost. In the player's opinion, that meant that everybody was going to end up, eventually, in the same place.

In our new system, there's no safety net. If you lose, you're going to go down, if you win, you're going to go up.

quote:

Yeah, we're going to go out the gate with what we call a 'dynamic queue'. This is what we use for quick play right now, meaning you can queue in any size that you want. So if you want to queue by yourself, or if you want to queue with two people, or three, four, five, six, the system will allow you to do that.

The way that our matchmaking works in quick play and will also work in competitive play, is that it always tries to find... let's say you're a group of five, it will try to find a group of five equally skilled players. Only at extremes of waiting time will it expand its search and be willing to match you with a different group size for whatever reason.

quote:

The other thing that we did, after that video, is we actually added what is called a 'high bandwidth option' to our custom games, that allows players to play at a 60Hz update rate. We wanted to explore what the game would be like at 60Hz, so that way, we could explore if it's possible for us to try other versions of the game with this update rate. What we've been trying to do is encourage players to play with it. It's kind of ironic that they're demanding it, it's in the game and playable, and right now we're seeing about 0.08 per cent of all matches that take place in Overwatch are actually using the feature.

I've heard a lot of players say "god dammit, Blizzard, just add it to quick play". It would be wildly irresponsible for us to add that to something like quick play or competitive without getting more testing on the feature. This is something that you care about and you want to see more of: well, please use more of the feature that's in the game. Give us feedback, so we can iron out all of the kinks with it and if things are looking good, we can absolutely add it to other parts of the game.
Right now, for example, what we've seen is that it wouldn't work for about 20 per cent of our users. That's a problem we can solve if we get more testing on it, but we couldn't just put it live. As you know, we announced that number of seven million players last week. The last thing we want to do is take 20 per cent of those people and tell them you can't play Overwatch anymore because people were angry on the forums and we flipped the switch and added this thing.

quote:

McCree is pretty straightforward. What we're looking at right now is his fan the hammer damage. We're going to reduce it. The goal there is to make it so that McCree can still use his combo that we love, which is the flashbang and fan the hammer on somebody like Tracer. McCree should absolutely kill that Tracer. We want McCree to be a counter to people like Tracer, Genji and Reaper. What we're not crazy about, right now, is the way in which McCree can absolutely shred tanks. It's a little too easy, so we want to bring the fan the hammer damage down, so he's still killing the squishies and the medium strength heroes, but he's less effective against the tanks. If he times everything perfectly and gets every single shot off, he's got a shot against a tank, but it's not the instant 'I win' button that it is right now.

quote:

With D. Va, we're still in exploration mode. There's a couple of directions we could take her and it's still unclear which direction we'll go. Obviously her damage has come into question from a lot of people. You have to be really close to do effective damage with D. Va and we might look at that. We might also look at her survivability. A lot of time, D. Va can get herself into situations where she's a tank and it feels like she should be there, but then she gets knocked out of that mech so quickly. We probably won't do a bunch of buffs to her damage and her survivability; we'll probably pick one direction or the other, but right now, we've been exploring both.

We've tried high-damage D. Va with lower survivability. She's almost more of a skirmisher. We've tried other directions, like not buffing her damage, but buffing her survivability. I think the D. Va buffs will take a little bit longer for us to get to, but the McCree balance changes should come sooner.

quote:

I can tell you about what changes we would like to make. The next step for us with Play of the Game - and this one's not on the immediate horizon, I'd say it's something we'd like to get to this summer - we would like to show play of the games in a more cinematic way. We feel like for your standard play of the game, like a Reaper getting a death blossom kill on four people, they look great and they're really fun to watch. But some of the other ones like the Torbjörn who's dead and his turret's killing people, or a Widowmaker getting a really impressive shot from across the map: those aren't showing great right now. They're actually really cool moments but we feel like there's a way to show them more cinematically.

We feel like if we can refine how we're showing play of the games, we'll actually open the door for us to do more things like our saviour play of the games, where you're about to be killed and somebody intervenes. It's actually really cool, but it doesn't show very well because the camera might not be tracking from the best angle.

quote:

We have plans for some hero and map updates, which you'll be hearing more about as we get a little bit further into the summer.

quote:

Whilst we're talking new heroes, how did you find it when people started speculating that a new hero, called Sombra, was about to be revealed around the time of your last animated short? Was that strange, from your perspective?

Jeff Kaplan: No, it was not strange. We have put a lot of hints, all over the game and out of the game, so I would say it's about time that people are concerned with who Sombra is. I hope they keep researching more and find more hints that are out there.

So they haven't found everything yet?

Jeff Kaplan: No. No sir.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Lady Naga posted:

What is even the point of this?

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Macaluso posted:

Have you guys tried moving away from those spots

There are some spots on payload maps where you literally cannot see in front of the payload because of the bloom.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

Theta Zero posted:

There are some spots on payload maps where you literally cannot see in front of the payload because of the bloom.

I have not had this issue at all on a GTX 660 with the optimized GeForce Experience settings. What are you running?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

klockwerk
Jun 30, 2007

dsch
I play a lot of Pharah.

I find a lot of new Pharahs make the mistake of constantly hovering in the sky for no good reason, making them a great and easy target for Hanzos, Widows and McCrees who actually use their left click. Much like Reaper, however, Pharah's strength comes from not being noticed until it's too late for the bad guys.

Use the rocket boost to reach higher ledges, and actually land on them, not just hover in the sky between buildings/ledges. Think of your rocket boost as your escape ability - if you're on your feet and it's on cooldown, you should think twice about engaging an enemy. Also, it's ok to be on the ground with your team - especially for payload maps. Just keep an eye out for counters and simply mash shift to get out of dodge if necessary.

If you come across suppressing fire from snipers or turrets, launch rockets in their direction. Snipers bounced off their perch with your concussion blast will panic at this point because they've lost their positioning. Just work on aiming and timing your rockets properly so that you can basically bounce anyone around the map with rockets.

Lots of people say Pharah is quite fragile and an easy target for snipers. Although this is mostly true, I find and use Pharah as a counter-sniper. With rocket boost and map knowledge, you can come in at nearly any angle (depending on the map), knock them off their perch, and hope your team pushes the point. Sometimes this requires using your feet instead of your jetpacks though (watch out for flankers). Same goes for Tolberone turrets.

A common Pharah counter you'll see is some combination of S76, Torb turrets + a Widowmaker or Hanzo. Sometimes there'll be a Mei on the ground waiting for you to land so she can put an icicle between your eyes.

Finally, always try to ambush the enemy team for maximum effect. Take side paths, clever rocket jumps and boosts, and hold off on firing any rockets until you're positioned well for multiple kills.