Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

I misread that at first as slouch hat, and was thinking it's something to do with Crawl's Aussie influences...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

SirSamVimes posted:

Today I learned that Locyprowhatevers have a 40 damage melee because I thought my MuCj who already had 4 runes could use the Vestibule to get experience. :(

I've never even seen one of those in the Vestibule.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Internet Kraken posted:

I've never even seen one of those in the Vestibule.

code:
671268 SirSamVimes the Cryomancer (level 27, -5/197 HPs)
             Began as a Mummy Conjurer on June 6, 2016.
             Was an Initiate of Gozag.
             Slain by a lorocyproca (36 damage)
             ... on level 1 of the Depths.
             The game lasted 08:07:29 (322595 turns).
the more you know

World Famous W
May 25, 2007

BAAAAAAAAAAAA

jon joe posted:

drat it, died in Zig 25 with a character who was clearly going to 15 rune if I hadn't Zig'd. :negative:

Hell, I could have lived through Zig too if I didn't stupidly quaff a berserk potion, shutting off all my escape options.
Ouch, know the deadly siren song of Zigs as well.

On berserk, if I ain't worshiping Trog I don't even consider it a option after the lair branches. Just way to much can go wrong.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

World Famous W posted:

On berserk, if I ain't worshiping Trog I don't even consider it a option after the lair branches. Just way to much can go wrong.

The other great time for berserk is with the amulet of BLOODLUST. Quite usable through 15 runes, leads to the occasional adventure.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Just lost a really promising FoFi because I bumrushed a couple bogarts instead of shooting them with my arbalest.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Unimpressed posted:

I misread that at first as slouch hat, and was thinking it's something to do with Crawl's Aussie influences...

fr: literal slouch hat

Unimpressed
Feb 13, 2013

Tollymain posted:

fr: literal slouch hat

Worn by every quoka.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

Yes, it does:

Unrelated to anything else, I feel pretty strongly that mottled dragons/mottled dragon armor should become acid dragons/acid dragon armor. I suppose you could leave the "mottled" name if someone out there likes it but they're total pushover enemies ever since the removal of item destruction, I think there should be a bit more acidic damage at that relatively early point in the game, and rSticky is a totally worthless armor ego, especially compared to something like rCorr.

I proposed it a while ago, but give it rMut.

Edit: Even if that means giving it Malmutate breath/mutagenic cloud breath, because then rMut would be back for me to ignore the mutation punishment system after that point.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 7, 2016

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

jon joe posted:

drat it, died in Zig 25 with a character who was clearly going to 15 rune if I hadn't Zig'd. :negative:

Hell, I could have lived through Zig too if I didn't stupidly quaff a berserk potion, shutting off all my escape options.

Always Zig. Always eat the purple.

Fitzy Fitz
May 14, 2005

FR: Rainbow draconian with polymorph breath.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Arivia posted:

Any tips for playing Pakellas / a deep dwarf? If he's going away I want to get that sweet DDAr action before the end of 0.18.

Well that didn't take long. Less than 36 hours from that post, actually.

code:
1694672 Arivia the Brilliant (level 27, 137/203 HPs)
             Began as a Deep Dwarf Fighter on June 6, 2016.
             Was a High Priest of Pakellas.
             Escaped with the Orb
             ... and 3 runes!

The game lasted 08:29:22 (80938 turns).

Arivia the Brilliant (Deep Dwarf Fighter)          Turns: 80938, Time: 08:29:23

Health: 137/203    AC: 42    Str: 35    XL:     27
Magic:  6/12       EV: 17    Int:  6    God:    Pakellas [*****.]
Gold:   1269       SH: 29    Dex: 13    Spells: 0 memorised, 26 levels left

rFire  + + +      SeeInvis .    a - +9 eveningstar (antimagic)
rCold  + . .      Gourm    .    I - +6 gold dragon armour
rNeg   + + .      Faith    .    h - +1 large shield {reflect}
rPois  +          Spirit   .    F - +2 hat
rElec  +          Dismiss  .    u - +2 cloak {MR+}
rCorr  .          Reflect  +    s - +2 pair of gloves of Reason {rC+ Str+3}
SustAt .          Harm     .    c - +0 pair of boots {Fly}
MR     +++++      Rnd*Rage +    i - amulet of the Lonely Planets {Regen+ Str+4}
Stlth  ..........               m - ring of Nifie {rElec rC- MR+ Stlth+}
                                N - ring of Jyrext {rF++ rN+ Str+5 Dex-4}

@: flying, non-regenerating, almost entirely resistant to hostile enchantments,
extremely unstealthy
A: damage resistance, recharge devices, berserk 1, clumsy 2, dopey 2, frail 3,
negative energy resistance 1, sense surroundings 3, slow regeneration 3, subdued
magic 2
a: Device Recharging, Quick Charge, Device Surge, Renounce Religion, Stop Flying
0: Orb of Zot
}: 3/15 runes: serpentine, barnacled, silver

bitcoin bastard posted:

Counterpoint: Play a DDFi of Pakellas, understand that it's entirely different from usual Crawl. Once you hit the Pak altar the game becomes all about damage taken versus piety gained. Not much can outright kill you, but woe to the DD who runs out of piety and HW charges.

I basically took this to heart, and it worked pretty well. It was weird running around at less than full health for 99% of the game but it worked. My problem wasn't piety so much as MP, actually. I just built super tanky and was very aggressive about Quick Charging my wands, to the point of doing it in the middle of a melee to not waste MP.

And yeah not much could kill me, the only rough times were elephant graveyard Lair end, Snake, V:5 and Zot.

Zot:5 was a loving mess. Tons of orbs of fire, and every one gave me MP-linked wands. I'd had an amazing mutation suite for most of the game, but had to kill it to get rid of literally the worst possible mutation for my character. I didn't even know Zot effects were a thing but they tried to kick my rear end a couple times. Also something kept dismissing my device surged beasts from a box of beasts which sucked because I'd been saving those for some fun at the end.

Grabbed the orb and had my worst orb run ever, starting with a pan lord that I couldn't outrun and that just wouldn't die in Zot that I managed to juke. Then another pan lord loving banished me. To Abyss:5. With the Orb. Goddamn terrifying poo poo. I survived a mess in Abyss only to escape back into the pan lord and his crew. Turned out I got banished by the pan lord having distortion melee or something, because I had a lucky stroke of luck and it hit me to teleport me halfway across the map and next to a set of stairs instead. Got the gently caress out from there.

I'm glad I'm done with DD. I probably could have done more with Pakellas (since I basically just used it as an endless source of healing and didn't use evokables THAT much), but it got what turned out to be a frustrating, lovely race done with. It was fun in mid-game Abyss trips realizing I could go forever as long as I had food, which was nice, and I was endlessly tanky. But it was just such a micromanaging mess and I had the most fun with my supercharged rod of iron blowing apart entire rooms.

edit: Also floor god was cranky. I never saw brand weapon or a remotely good amulet ever, but it was nice to do Elf:2 and finally get my staple weapon there. I was hoping for something good and I smiled when I saw that animated antimagic eveningstar. Yes. Be mine, lovely.

edit2: Popping a phantom mirror on Xtahua was hilarious, though.

Also that took me like 3 games after I started, my fourth game ever as a DD. My first win that wasn't an MiBe. Pakellas might make deep dwarf a little too easy.

Arivia fucked around with this message at 15:18 on Jun 7, 2016

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Arivia posted:

Also that took me like 3 games after I started, my fourth game ever as a DD. My first win that wasn't an MiBe. Pakellas might make deep dwarf a little too easy.

You have found out the worst kept secret of Dungeon Crawl: Deep Dwarves are the strongest species to exist. :ssh:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Sage Grimm posted:

You have found out the worst kept secret of Dungeon Crawl: Deep Dwarves are the strongest species to exist. :ssh:

I don't ever want to play one again :(

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib

Arivia posted:

I don't ever want to play one again :(

I know what you mean, they make the game way too easy. My first win was DDAK and it took less than 50k turns because I just bulldozed everything with high invo Lugopower

tote up a bags
Jun 8, 2006

die stoats die

For a hexer with Hepliaklqana, do I want Englaction or Paralyse? I can't work out which one of them is a better choice,.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'd probably go with Paralyse, but honestly without being able to easier check the success rate vs. enemies I'm not sure.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

FR: Literal floorgod.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Stoat posted:

For a hexer with Hepliaklqana, do I want Englaction or Paralyse? I can't work out which one of them is a better choice,.

Toss in another vote for Paralyse. There's a reason why that spell is completely out of a player's hands and it isn't due to shittiness.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Playing a Deep Elf conjurer of Uskayaw right now, stunning everything onscreen and linking damage is incredible.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Also the stun lasts as long as I'm at 3 piety so 3 piety is a sign I can just waltz to any re-positioning I want.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Poison Mushroom posted:

FR: Literal floorgod.

Gozag comes really close to replicating Floor Luck, at least

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Can someone give me a rundown on the two new gods in Trunk?

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Can someone give me a rundown on the two new gods in Trunk?

Dancing god looks like melee god, but play him with a caster, kill everything on screen faster and easier than you would with literally any other god (but only really is at his best in mid and late game)
Ancestor god's only good ancestor is the Hexer, and even that's not super great. Recommend playing with a big armored melee guy.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.
https://github.com/crawl/crawl/commit/7be440f59e77

quote:

Make Nemelex use invocations instead of evocations

Discuss.

In more terrifying news, how would you like to deal with killer bees that wield axes and can smite? Say no more!

http://git.develz.org/?p=crawl.git;a=commit;h=b916c57f77ab5ddc11a950155e0c8afe98649073

Now populating later beehives and late-Dungeons near you!

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Oh my god, why did no one tell me Slouch is a crowd annihilator?

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Woah my idea is actually getting used.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Card orcs and Card demonguys ahoy.

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Who decided we needed more and deadlier bees :gonk:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Killer bees that can smite sounds like something you would joke about not actually put in the game.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Killer bees that can smite sounds like something you would joke about not actually put in the game.

They don't come in entire packs thankfully.

Just in threes.

They also have axes and two melee attacks, and if a queen bee is around can be berserked by it.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

also they're placed in late dungeon hives along with the rest of the swarm.

Have fun.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

Well, as smite bees move in, iron giants move out (of Depths).

Edit: If anyone wants to watch, I'm trying out the punchmummy challenge here to get a full appreciation for how insane you would have to be to actually win this stupid thing.
Going back2egypt like the scrub I am.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 8, 2016

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Iron Giants are fuckin' killer.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

jon joe posted:

Iron Giants are fuckin' killer.

Now they'll merely have the third highest kill ratio of anything in the Hells! (beaten out by hell effects overall and Antaeus in terms of killable enemies)

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Someone Awful! posted:

Got my fingers crossed that this is the first step in bringing back hive

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Someone Awful! posted:

It's just ramping up to the hot new evocable, Bag of Bees.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
FR: Meliai as a playable race

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
New god of bees introduced, max piety ability fills every empty tile on the screen with a friendly bee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Summoning bees should act as a powerful Fear effect against Human targets (like the various uniques).

OH GOD, NOT THE BEES!

• Locked thread