Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

Tokyo Sex Whale posted:

You could probably kill him in Firelink yourself so his ashes are easier to find and he's at least killed by a friend.

Might not upgrade his inventory though. You should get special items for killing him yourself, kinda dumb.

Yeah I don't think I'd get his upgraded inventory items if I kill him at this point.

AttackBacon posted:

I believe you are alright, what you need to do is tell Patches that Greirat is gone scavenging. Then go fight a boss. Patches (dressed up as the Onion Knight) will save Greirat. Then you can buy Siegward's armor (DON'T DO THIS UNTIL GREIRAT IS SAFE) and go rescue him from the well.

I will give this a shot. Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Humans Among Us posted:

Irithyll is really loving fun for all sorts of pvp shenanigans @ lvl 40 - 60 something

It's not fun for much else t:mad:

Soho Joe
Aug 11, 2006

the torment of existence
weighed against
the horror of nonbeing
Nap Ghost
https://omgftw.github.io/DarkSouls3CensorCheck/

"hotdog handbag" parses into "****** *******"

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Why are any of those words censored :psyduck:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
Yeah if Patches still has his armor I'd definitely go that route.

So I managed to actually get invaded by a red in the area after the Pontiff on my SL25 character with a +3 weapon. We fought for a bit, I had the upper hand, and then he proceeded to run away. So I just cleared out the rest of the area. 20-25 minutes later I finally make my way up to the stairs at Another Londo where the guy was waiting to gank me with the two silver knights. I had no estus as I couldn't rest at bonfires, so he won of course. But he wasted half an hour of his life just for that payoff? Cmon man.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Humans Among Us posted:

Irithyll is really loving fun for all sorts of pvp shenanigans @ lvl 40 - 60 something

At level 50 with a +6 weapon I was getting Aldritch Faithful summonses constantly, which is how I found out that I wasn't completely screwed on auto-summon covenants, just that BlueCops didn't work (that's at least gotten a little better, and I get a summon once every few hours).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

If you just wanna see the actual censor list...

https://github.com/omgftw/DarkSouls3CensorCheck/blob/master/censorlist.js

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Yeah if Patches still has his armor I'd definitely go that route.

So I managed to actually get invaded by a red in the area after the Pontiff on my SL25 character with a +3 weapon. We fought for a bit, I had the upper hand, and then he proceeded to run away. So I just cleared out the rest of the area. 20-25 minutes later I finally make my way up to the stairs at Another Londo where the guy was waiting to gank me with the two silver knights. I had no estus as I couldn't rest at bonfires, so he won of course. But he wasted half an hour of his life just for that payoff? Cmon man.

Probably because he was thrilled to have invaded a single person instead of a 3v1 gank squad.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Internet Kraken posted:

Why are any of those words censored :psyduck:

I saw on the other day named Knight Whatever and the n, i, and g were censored

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Panty Saluter posted:

I saw on the other day named Knight Whatever and the n, i, and g were censored

Yeah its ridiculous but you can at least see the broken logic behind censoring nig.

Who is gonna be offended by the word dog though???

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Panty Saluter posted:

It's not fun for much else t:mad:

The system works

HaB posted:

Probably because he was thrilled to have invaded a single person instead of a 3v1 gank squad.

This. Still some dedication tho, if a player doesn't show up after 5 minutes of me checking out the place i just run into whatever squad of molestors there is and let them have their fun :)

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I probably would have just jumped off the cliff immediately after the bonfire if some bitchmade invader wouldn't just fight to the death in a 1v1 situation like that. I fully understand there's no honor in invasions, but c'mon. At least pretend to earn your ember.

I say that as someone who invades a lot. But if I'm playing solo and I get invaded, and the invader's just being a piece of poo poo, I'm just gonna kill myself and get on with my day. You invaded my game to fight me, so fight me.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
With the smart host friendly mechanics, gank squads and general filtering to force you against multiple phantoms whenever possible it is probably common for a lot of invaders to have sub 50% kill rates.

When you need 10-30 of an item every guy who dies is a solid win. Also I consider anyone suiciding or disconnecting to be a victory and chuckle heartily. Seeing seeds pop and speed running through enemies is also a thrill especially if they die without payoff.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea it's lame when you get invaded while solo and they just run away. like seriously, why are you even here

Doomykins posted:

With the smart host friendly mechanics, gank squads and general filtering to force you against multiple phantoms whenever possible it is probably common for a lot of invaders to have sub 50% kill rates.

When you need 10-30 of an item every guy who dies is a solid win. Also I consider anyone suiciding or disconnecting to be a victory and chuckle heartily. Seeing seeds pop and speed running through enemies is also a thrill especially if they die without payoff.

there are no covenants for the bog standard red invasions so people who do this are just incredibly lame

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
my Guts cosplay is objectively better than everyone else's

but for real the Greatsword uninfused has an attack value of 601 if you go 40/40 STR/DEX, so my joke Guts build is fully capable of murdering dudes on a whim

it's pretty good

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Standard red gives you tongues. I wish it was clearly stated since you have to walk on eggshells around Sirris and all.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Doomykins posted:

poo poo. I probably had a seed in my inventory. Didnt even think to use it.

Grinding out covenant items takes all the fun out of the game though. No thank you. Just invade and have fun. Don't make it into a chore for everyone involved.

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

ip freely is filtered? Does FROM hate fun or something :colbert:

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

lol goatse is on there.

And other classics, such as:
Fannyflaps
fuckingshitmotherfucker
Junglebunny
Minge

And um Dance? :dance:

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Hi thread, I need some help. I'm 25 hours into the game, I got gud and all that, but I'm just kind of completely stalled out and not having fun and I'm sure that I need to tweak something to get things back on track. This is only my second Souls game after Bloodborne, and I've generally been playing it "BB-style," doing a lot of jumping around and not a lot of tanking or shield play.

I'm completely stalled out in the Catacombs of Carthus. I was generally doing fine up until this point and the game is just suddenly handing me my rear end, constantly, consistently. Even the normal skeletons are just beating the poo poo out of me, and when I get to those red-eyed guys with the big scimitar-style blades, I'm just hosed in like two hits. They seem to have endless stamina.

I thus far have played as a Knight with a Sharped Uchigatana, currently +5'ish. The rest of my armor and shield are pretty normal knight things, I have 10 estus flasks (they're +3 from using bone shards), and I'm just getting loving STOMPED. I have a lot of dex, to scale the Uchi, and it's taking me what feels like 6-10 hits to kill any enemy in this area, ESPECIALLY those bigger skeletons who are just flipping around with seemingly endless stamina and stomping me. I'm not having fun at all in spite of loving the game thus far.

I have a zillion other weapons I never use, and I don't do anything with magic. Is this just a horrendously unbalanced area compared to everything that came before it, or is there something I'm missing?

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

if you're dying in 2 hits, your vigor might be too low. what're your stats like

also sharp infusion is wonky and not always the best even for dex weapons iirc

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Doomykins posted:

PvP in Dark Souls 3 is a case of "don't hate the player, hate the game." I can't hold it against invaders using every cheese in the book if they're trying to farm up 30 pale tongues because invading in this game is ridiculously loving hard, to the point that it seems like From doesn't actually like invasion as a mechanic and only included it in there grudgingly. I can't hold it against people in a duel fishing for parries because parries are the only reliable way to rapidly kill another player in a game where healing is so cheap and easy that chip damage is simply not viable unless both players agree to not heal. And, as an invader, I don't hold it against hosts for healing since I invaded them, and there's no honor in invasions. It's just such a broken game for PvP, and for every fight that's fun in its broken-ness, there's ten that are frustrating and lousy.

So, if you invade me and then run and hide, and I kill myself by a bonfire because I need to heal and I can't, you can take your pale tongue with pride if you want, just get the gently caress out of my game so I can get on with my day.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Hi thread, I need some help. I'm 25 hours into the game, I got gud and all that, but I'm just kind of completely stalled out and not having fun and I'm sure that I need to tweak something to get things back on track. This is only my second Souls game after Bloodborne, and I've generally been playing it "BB-style," doing a lot of jumping around and not a lot of tanking or shield play.

I'm completely stalled out in the Catacombs of Carthus. I was generally doing fine up until this point and the game is just suddenly handing me my rear end, constantly, consistently. Even the normal skeletons are just beating the poo poo out of me, and when I get to those red-eyed guys with the big scimitar-style blades, I'm just hosed in like two hits. They seem to have endless stamina.

I thus far have played as a Knight with a Sharped Uchigatana, currently +5'ish. The rest of my armor and shield are pretty normal knight things, I have 10 estus flasks (they're +3 from using bone shards), and I'm just getting loving STOMPED. I have a lot of dex, to scale the Uchi, and it's taking me what feels like 6-10 hits to kill any enemy in this area, ESPECIALLY those bigger skeletons who are just flipping around with seemingly endless stamina and stomping me. I'm not having fun at all in spite of loving the game thus far.

I have a zillion other weapons I never use, and I don't do anything with magic. Is this just a horrendously unbalanced area compared to everything that came before it, or is there something I'm missing?

Dex builds and specifically Uchi builds rely heavily on Bleed, and the Skeletons don't bleed. Charcoal Resin is super cheap and the Fire damage will help a lot. Otherwise, switch to another weapon temporarily for this area. The Deep BattleAxe you can grab in High Wall is a decent enough choice, since it will cause the regular Skeletons to fall apart on a single hit, giving you ample time to finish them off before they get back up. Just remember the White Eyed ones will respawn after you "kill" them the first time.

heard u like girls
Mar 25, 2013

Equip Sunbros and get prio'd for games that are already invaded, or if u see other invaders around (that might have sunbros on) just invade and get help in a minute. At least that's what i got from it, could be complete bs

2 vs 2 / 3 is super cool

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Soho Joe posted:

https://omgftw.github.io/DarkSouls3CensorCheck/

"hotdog handbag" parses into "****** *******"

dead -> d***

Welp. Dreaming Und*** has like 100 hours on him, too.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
That filter checker is not perfect because I totally saw a guy named "Undead_Warrior" yesterday and it wasn't censored.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

That filter checker is not perfect because I totally saw a guy named "Undead_Warrior" yesterday and it wasn't censored.

caps aren't checked by the filter so if it had a capital letter in the "ead" bit that'd be why.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea it's lame when you get invaded while solo and they just run away. like seriously, why are you even here

there are no covenants for the bog standard red invasions so people who do this are just incredibly lame

You get covenant items for whichever one you've got equipped when you red-invade (or at least some of them).

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Rosaria's Fingers is essentially the "bog-standard red invasion" covenant anyway, and I think you get pale tongues whether you have that one equipped or no covenant at all.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Fereydun posted:

wait what

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.

I don't know if the implication is such that they've seen these names at some point? Because Donkeyribber is pretty out there. It's like they opened Urban Dictionary and outed like half of its more lewd library.

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Fortunately you are on track with bone shards so estus healing is not a problem, presumably you are being overwhelmed by the bigger skeletons infinite attacking animations where they loop about. You may not have the stats for it but any Ultra greatsword will knock them on their asses with a fully charged R2, from there once they are down all you need to do is attack again and you can infinitely stun lock them. But again if you cannot use an UGS an earlier suggestion of switching to a fire buff is a good one, it will do a bit more extra damage. In carthus it is a great idea to roll some kind of ranged weapon to pull the packs apart, since the big fellows roll together and all. The smaller skeletons can be blocked provided you arent trying to block with the stamina shield since it is sub 100% phys absorption.

It can be counter intuitive but for the ones who vanish as they roll attack forward trying rolling into and past their attack as they loop about lazily, the ones who have the shotel and throw throwing knives in groups need to be aggressively attacked, they will duck out of range extremely fast so it is in your best interest to put a pillar or wall between you and them before you chug if need be. Otherwise keep the shield up to stop the daggers then go in with the katana held in both hands for the extra stagger on them.

And if it is on PC you can add me on steam and I can help out if you want a coop buddy.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Carthus is just tough for dex builds because dex weapons will not knock down the skeletons, and in the case of the Uchigatana they also don't take bleed damage.

Do not be lazy about shielding the shotel skeletons when they throw daggers at you, because the daggers cause bleed buildup on you as do their shotels and every other attack in their arsenal.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Sorry if it's a repost but I found a really good workaround for 21:9 monitors

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=30CoVM-HSQQ

Simple hex and ini editing, no bugs to speak of and hasn't gotten me banned yet. :P

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
I'm farming covenant items now and I'm really growing tired of these gank squads just chilling at Farron/Irithyll and waiting for watchdogs/faithfuls. 3 dudes all wearing matching armor, having killed all enemies and opened and cleared the way to the boss, just hanging around. Fight clubs are one thing, but this is just cheap. It should also be easily fixable:

1. Sending phantoms away should ban the host from summoning the same dude for, say, 30 minutes. Want to catch a breath at the bonfire or let your buddy recharge? Tough.

2. Killing a certain number of watchdogs/faithfuls in a row should gradually remove the level restricions and/or give straight up damage/armor buffs to invaders. Make it challenging. Getting killed resets the buffs and level restrictions.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
Also my guy is dex too and my answer to Carthus was to put away my sword, get a hammer and bless and buff it and then just smash everything. Worked pretty well.

NT Plus
Nov 30, 2011

Kid just rages for a while.
I've been using a chaos flame lucerne +7 running a pyromancy build. I gotta say, infusing with chaos fire is a bit underwhelming. I'm rolling with a friend running around utterly DESTROYING everything with his dark sword. Meanwhile I struggle with literally every enemy I come across. I just can't do enough damage with my weapon. I guess you go caster, you best be always casting?

I'm at Lothric Castle right now.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Laputanmachine posted:

Also my guy is dex too and my answer to Carthus was to put away my sword, get a hammer and bless and buff it and then just smash everything. Worked pretty well.

So, your answer for "this zone is tough for a dex build" is to betray everything about your dex build, seems good.

NT Plus posted:

I've been using a chaos flame lucerne +7 running a pyromancy build. I gotta say, infusing with chaos fire is a bit underwhelming. I'm rolling with a friend running around utterly DESTROYING everything with his dark sword. Meanwhile I struggle with literally every enemy I come across. I just can't do enough damage with my weapon. I guess you go caster, you best be always casting?

I'm at Lothric Castle right now.

Lothric Castle is pretty hard in general, but also the Chaos infusion is pretty bad. Your best bet IMO is infusing the Lucerne with Raw (or Heavy, if you have enough strength) and then using Carthus Flame Arc for the bonus fire damage.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO
I haven't played in like a month so I'll just bullet point my concerns real quick:
  • changes to poise?
  • autosummons covenants addressed? (bluebros, watchdogs low connection rates for some users)
  • phantom hitboxes on some straight swords addressed?
tia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
^ nope.