Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

it never had a release date so it's not really delayed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

No it is the people complaining about people complaining about people complaining about angry nerds which is the worst thing ever.

I'm surprised this takes more attention then the fact it's delayed again.

It isn't delayed. The Japanese release date is the same as it always has been and ~6 months for localization is the norm.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It isn't delayed. The Japanese release date is the same as it always has been and ~6 months for localization is the norm.

Oh yeah, I for some unknown reason I had worldwide simultaneous release on my mind.

Stoked i'll get to play it in 2020 in Europe.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Oh yeah, I for some unknown reason I had worldwide simultaneous release on my mind.

Stoked i'll get to play it in 2020 in Europe.

At least you can just import an English copy.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Persona 5 is gonna be great and I will enjoy it.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

At least you can just import an English copy.

I honestly just want smtiv apocalypse

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Junpei Hyde posted:

Persona 5 is gonna be great and I will enjoy it.

Same and I hope it inspires other turn-based RPGs to use button based battle UI.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Endorph posted:

on the one hand: sometimes changes are heavyhanded or done poorly

Yeah, and thanks to The Internet, it's now completely impossible to talk about any actual problems with localization that you might have, without also igniting this conversation yet again.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

It might be the norm for Persona (I have no idea) but people can still be disappointed, especially since the most high profile JRPG (FF15) is getting a world-wide release.

So what are vagina bones

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

bloodychill posted:

It might be the norm for Persona (I have no idea) but people can still be disappointed, especially since the most high profile JRPG (FF15) is getting a world-wide release.

Well yeah, the more high profile game is gonna come out quicker, that's just how things work.

quote:

So what are vagina bones

There were some changes done to a character's art in TMS #FE for the localisation, which someone referred to as "removing her vagina bones".

HGH
Dec 20, 2011
It's a 4chan meme for pelvis/abdominal definition.

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

bloodychill posted:

The difference is in the budgets between the two games you are comparing here.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

bloodychill posted:

So what are vagina bones

The localisers of TMS #FE, a game heavily catering to the lowest kind of nerds, tried to make it more palatable to a wider audience, and failed comically. Basically they're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, and the very nerds the game is catering to reacted in a predictable fashion. To be fair to the game, the original content is actually pretty mild considering its intended audience, and "vagina bones" says more about the guy who used the term than the game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Renoistic posted:

The localisers of TMS #FE, a game heavily catering to the lowest kind of nerds, tried to make it more palatable to a wider audience, and failed comically. Basically they're trying to fit a square peg in a round hole, and the very nerds the game is catering to reacted in a predictable fashion.

Nah. it's only a specific terrible section of nerds who are extremely loud and would be upset about literally anything because they convinced themselves they're fighting against an imaginary foe.

bloodychill posted:

FF15 is not common for RPG localizations. Even the last FF game had a large window between release in Japan and release outside of Japan.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

Ventana posted:

The difference is in the budgets between the two games you are comparing here.

Oh no doubt, but a lot of people still perceive Persona as a big deal so I don't think it's unusual that people are down about it.

Re: vagina bones, glad that some nerds are still truckin' on getting exceptionally weird about their fanservice games.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Many of the people whining about "censorship" were doing the same last year over Atlus "betraying" them by making the game what it is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

#FE is gonna sell poorly probably because it's a niche JRPG for a dead system being released a week before a larger profile JRPG for a more successful system. It has nothing to do with Vagina Bones.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
No it's going to sell poorly because nintendo betrayed people from that white cutout of still images

A literal think still brought up in any commentsn or gaf discusssion with tms today

HGH
Dec 20, 2011

Motto posted:

Many of the people whining about "censorship" were doing the same last year over Atlus "betraying" them by making the game what it is.
I'm pretty sure most of the people that whined over the game being what it is are the people that are happy seeing it changed and pissing off others.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Tae posted:

No it's going to sell poorly because nintendo betrayed people from that white cutout of still images

A literal think still brought up in any commentsn or gaf discusssion with tms today

They did not make the game I imagined when they said they were doing a crossover, and for that they must BURN!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

There's a sizable group of SMT fans that are incredibly bitter over Persona's popularity (same for FE and the 3DS games), so it's not surprising that their brains were further broken by an even brighter game being linked to the two IPs.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i am only physically capable of enjoying one jrpg series at a time. to enjoy another, i must learn to hate the previous one.

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
im upset because #FE doesnt have a pseudo dating sim system. every atlus game should have one

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
every video game should have one actually. i want to be brought up on corruption charges in my city builder game b/c i was dating the environmental inspector to get more tax credits

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon
Oh hey I just realized Persona is anime's Valentine's Day gift to english-speaking nerds.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I noticed there are women females in the new Persona. Can I gently caress them? Because if I can't then Atlus has betrayed us.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ugh

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Morpheus posted:

I noticed there are women females in the new Persona. Can I gently caress them? Because if I can't then Atlus has betrayed us.

No idea but at least one of them is underage and dresses in BDSM gear, that good enough?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Ooh, I finally have a question I can ask here again.

What's the verdict on the Mario and Luigi games beyond Bowser's Inside Story? That's as far as I got and all I know is Sticker Star being a hot mess.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I liked Dream Team but a lot of people thought it was way too long and the tutorials never, ever stop. Paper Jam was good too but has a lot of recycled stuff and feels kind of cheap somehow?

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

RareAcumen posted:

What's the verdict on the Mario and Luigi games beyond Bowser's Inside Story? That's as far as I got and all I know is Sticker Star being a hot mess.

I thought the first one, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, was really fun and good. The writing is hilarious.

EDIT: Sorry, missed the "beyond" in the question. Still, I enjoy that one more than any of the games after Inside Story.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

Most of the M&L games are good. Outside of Partners in Time (which got made 'harder' for the US release in the worst ways and is the worst of the game so top of that) the worst thing you can say is that they're overly-wordy for such simple games or have a bit too much hand-holding. Their combat systems are almost universally excellent.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Hmm kind of wanted to pick up the new Atelier today but the early press seems to be painting in a very average light.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Hmm kind of wanted to pick up the new Atelier today but the early press seems to be painting in a very average light.

"Average" is a good word for it. It's the start of a new trilogy and so rather than feeling like it's building off the Dusk games it feels like it's kind of starting fresh. The alchemy is fun, the combat is thoroughly average. The plot is nonexistent so enjoying the story depends on how much you like kinda-cliche Atelier characters bouncing off one another.

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
Exciting Lemon

RareAcumen posted:

I heard Sticker Star was really bad but Dream Team was definitely solid. There were a couple dungeons that overstayed their welcome but I still recommend it overall. Solid game mechanics, some new gameplay stuff with the Dream Luigi Army, lots of silly stuff. Honestly though, nothing is going to live up to Paper Mario or the original SNES Mario RPG.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Is that normally how the trilogies start? I really liked E&L and was so so on Shallie

Oh I missed the edit. Yeah that makes sense.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Rascyc posted:

Oh poo poo, Sophie is out today? Average or not, alchemy games are extremely my poo poo.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Renoistic posted:

I thought the first one, Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga, was really fun and good. The writing is hilarious.

EDIT: Sorry, missed the "beyond" in the question. Still, I enjoy that one more than any of the games after Inside Story.

Superstar Saga was the best for team attacks and I'm sad that they didn't continue making new Bros. Attacks.

Only real problem I have with the games is the lack of features for repeatability. Really could've used the ability to skip cutscenes or something.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rascyc posted:

Is that normally how the trilogies start? I really liked E&L and was so so on Shallie

Oh I missed the edit. Yeah that makes sense.

Yeah, usually the 'start' of a new Atelier trilogy is kind of its own thing. Ayesha was the closest to learning from Meruru I think but even then E&L and Shallie went more heavily in their own direction. Sophie feels more like the Arland games than the Dusk games to me.

Edit: My own feeling is that it's basically E&L > Ayesha > Shallie > Sophie > Totori > Rorona Plus > Meruru > Rorona for the PS3/4/Vita ones. Shallie would rank lower if not for the combat system and Ayesha is help back by its relatively simple alchemy and combat.

I really *really* prefer the Dusk-era alchemy to the Rorona-era Alchemy though. Sophie is a middle ground in that it has more manipulable mechanics but also alchemy closer to Rorona-era in basic design.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Morpheus posted:

these kinds of posts are just as creepy and annoying as the real thing tbh

also dream team was bad, paper jam is good