Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ragequit
Jun 1, 2006

Lipstick Apathy

mcvey posted:

What is recoil

There isn't recoil - 76's shots spread around the crosshair a bit after the first 3 or 4, which are perfectly straight. I use the dot crosshair so it's a bit easier to notice.

Edit: Wait we are talking about McCree now. I thought there was someone saying never let up with 76's shots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I can grab Junkrat's Ultimate with the hook as Pigman and toss it away. This changes everything.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

PantsBandit posted:

Which heroes get different appearances in the post-game screen if they had ults active at the end of the game? The ones I know for sure are Bastion and Winston.

None, those are victory poses.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

PantsBandit posted:

Which heroes get different appearances in the post-game screen if they had ults active at the end of the game? The ones I know for sure are Bastion and Winston.

None, those are just unlockable victory poses

mcvey
Aug 31, 2006

go caps haha

*Washington Capitals #1 Fan On DeviantArt*

Minrad posted:

it was confirmed and he was banned?

He wasnt game banned but I guess he played a LAN recently and played well so I don't know. Some really fishy plays though but with such a low tick rate it's hard to be definite without an actual ban from Blizzard.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

I now what recoil is, and I'm telling you that moving the mouse down changes nothing, the gun still goes up, down, left, right as it pleases when fanning the hammer, for me and most of the people I get to see using it in PotGs, just a small handful who seem to get no recoil at all and fan poo poo to death at 50m range.

there is recoil when you fan the hammer with mccree and you can control it for better accuracy

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Kerrrrrrr posted:

did he maybe hit Q

you can also see in the killcam when he's got his ult up

and also hear it be activated

and hear a distinct hum when he's nearby and has it up

so basically nobody can actually hide behind their ult when hackusations are going around because it's very obvious when it's being used and when it isn't

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

guts and bolts posted:

what's the biggest disconnect so far between "is cool/fun to play" and "is a good general pick" in Overwatch? it could just be because i suck with her but i want to say it's Pharah

someone teach me how to Pharah

A good 90% of playing Pharah is just being able to land direct rockets, something that only comes with time and practice, unfortunately.

In general, I try to stay relatively near to my team, rather than going off on a weird flanking mission. I'll still flank to the side, but I don't operate like a Genji darting around in the backlines. Pharah works best when the people with hitscan are busy trying to kill the rest of your team, rather than trying to duel people midair. There are exceptions to this (if I need to get straight into a Widowmaker's face before she cooks my bacon), but I prefer to use my height advantage to aim longer range rockets and then retreat safely back behind the rest of my team to heal back up.

Whenever you go into the air with Jump Jets, you should already have in mind the path of descent you're going to follow. The absolute surest sign of a new Pharah player is watching them sadly drift down like a falling leaf into the middle of the enemy team. You should always be landing either behind your team or on high ground, which means thinking about where you're going to travel to in advance. Try to make sure you land on relatively covered ground, too, as you're pretty predictable and easy to kill when grounded.

Barrage is tricky. You need to use it like you're Reaper: wait a bit off to the sides until the enemy team is relatively grouped up, is engaged with your team, and isn't watching for you. If I see a Pharah floating around behind us and it's been a while since she put out a Barrage, I'm expecting her to come in not too long after and pop it, and I'm ready and waiting to headshot her out of the sky. You need to stealthily deploy it if you have any hope of getting it off for most of its duration, and you need to prioritize the targets who are most able to kill you (S76, McCree) or ruin your ultimate (Genji) first. Don't use it too far up, as it makes the rockets relatively easy to dodge. The second floor of the saloon on Route 66 is about the recommended height I'd give for Barrage.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

being good with pharah has a lot to do with movement tbh. hitting dudes is good but pharah's such an easy target while in the air that being able to move around while flying is really important

keep in mind that the concussive blast can be used as a mini rocket jump and to get momentum while you're hovering

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

mcvey posted:

He wasnt game banned but I guess he played a LAN recently and played well so I don't know.

It's pretty rare for someone to go pro in an fps only off cheating, usually they're really strong players who turn on bots for brief moments in a match and otherwise do well anyway. This of course does not excuse that, but someone being good at a LAN doesn't really absolve them off suspicion (though sucking would probably be a pretty dead give away)

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I don't really like Pharah because she has a rocket launcher and a giant suit of armour but she's yet another loving flanker like 90% of Assaults.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Manatee Cannon posted:

there is recoil when you fan the hammer with mccree and you can control it for better accuracy

How can you control it then? Don't say move the mouse down, because I've tried that and it doesn't work.

Ragequit posted:

There isn't recoil - 76's shots spread around the crosshair a bit after the first 3 or 4, which are perfectly straight. I use the dot crosshair so it's a bit easier to notice.

Edit: Wait we are talking about McCree now. I thought there was someone saying never let up with 76's shots.

I was saying I've seen some S76s who do never let up and always hit, clearly cheating, and simultaneously saying I've seen McCrees fan the hammer with no recoil

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I like pairing zarya + pharah in group queues. If my pharah pal has to make a jump through an open area I give her a shield to let her win against the opposing widowmaker.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Slime posted:

you can also see in the killcam when he's got his ult up

and also hear it be activated

and hear a distinct hum when he's nearby and has it up

so basically nobody can actually hide behind their ult when hackusations are going around because it's very obvious when it's being used and when it isn't

:thejoke:

NTRabbit posted:

How can you control it then? Don't say move the mouse down, because I've tried that and it doesn't work.

i think this is from counterstrike guns that have specific recoil patterns

guts and bolts
May 16, 2015

Have you heard the Good News?
I generally don't play Pharah as a flanker because I feel like she's way too easy to kill with other people she's likely to run into, especially as 76 has come back into the pub games I've been playing (at low levels 76 is everywhere, then everyone becomes convinced he sucks or is for kids and is easy or whatever, then they come back to him when they realize he trucks on flankers with even a mild amount of awareness)

I've been trying mostly to use Pharah to break up nests or separate people from the back when attacking a control point, and generally trying to play her like a moving mortar launcher meant to supplement other DPS classes and not just ~style on fools 24/7~

The girlfriend will play Mercy sometimes and backpack me and then it's obscene, but I haven't even gotten a quad with Pharah's ult yet. :<

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

it does actually

fanning the hammer has a random spread but just keeping your crosshair centered on the other guy will obviously make hitting with it easier. sometimes you'll get a better spread and kill someone further away than normal, but you aren't ever gonna do that if you just let the gun climb by not controlling the recoil

e: think of it like a shotgun in battlefield; the pellets will come out randomly within the circle of your crosshair, but they will always be within the circle so you still need to aim at the guy to hit him

Manatee Cannon fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Jun 7, 2016

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

PantsBandit posted:

Are you super sure because I got a Winston win-screen pose that's always him in rage mode no matter what happened in the game.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Manatee Cannon posted:

it does actually

fanning the hammer has a random spread but just keeping your crosshair centered on the other guy will obviously make hitting with it easier. sometimes you'll get a better spread and kill someone further away than normal, but you aren't ever gonna do that if you just let the gun climb by not controlling the recoil

No it doesn't. Tried it, makes no difference, gun still jumps all over the place, and you just said it yourself - gun has a random spread. You can only guarantee where the first bullet is going, but that doesn't matter so much whe you're point blanking a massive target like a tank. I've seen McCrees were the gun just doesn't move, fanning off small targets like Tracer and Widow at range.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
yeah I think pharah is supposed to be a versatile hero in that she can frontline or flank

but being weaker than mccree and easy prey for widow while also having a pretty high skill cap are definitely not helping her case

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

NTRabbit posted:

I was saying I've seen some S76s who do never let up and always hit, clearly cheating, and simultaneously saying I've seen McCrees fan the hammer with no recoil

The spread and the recoil don't seem that harsh, I've full-auto tracked people and killed them at midrange with S76.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Intel&Sebastian posted:

Are you super sure because I got a Winston win-screen pose that's always him in rage mode no matter what happened in the game.

No I was wrong I just figured it was due to ulting right before you finish because I never look at the win poses.

pakman
Jun 27, 2011

Slime posted:

Widow can because you can barely hear the drat callout unless you're basically right next to her. <:mad:>

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

NTRabbit posted:

No it doesn't. Tried it, makes no difference, gun still jumps all over the place, and you just said it yourself - gun has a random spread. You can only guarantee where the first bullet is going, but that doesn't matter so much whe you're point blanking a massive target like a tank. I've seen McCrees were the gun just doesn't move, fanning off small targets like Tracer and Widow at range.

look at the reticle, not the gun. that's where the bullets come out no matter what the gun is doing

it's like a shotgun in battlefield where the pellets can come out anywhere in the circle but they will always be in that circle so you know where to aim the gun. also like battlefield, it doesn't necessarily have purely upwards recoil (I'm honestly not sure if it does off the top of my head). like how you'd have to pull down and to the left with the aek because it pulled up and to the right

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

the console experience right down to the post kill gorilla teabagging

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I never play Symmetra. I think I have like 3 games total with her. Played one over lunch and got into a group of good players against another team of good players, and since there was already a Reinhardt and Mercy and no builder I grabbed her. Holy poo poo guys. 27 kills, 47% teleporter uptime. Between Mercy and me there was never really a point that there weren't some of our players on the point. It was crazy.

She was crazy.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Countblanc posted:

None, those are just unlockable victory poses

Incidentally, Winston's Thinker is the best of his poses.

He's not a monkey, he's a scientist.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

I never play Symmetra. I think I have like 3 games total with her. Played one over lunch and got into a group of good players against another team of good players, and since there was already a Reinhardt and Mercy and no builder I grabbed her. Holy poo poo guys. 27 kills, 47% teleporter uptime. Between Mercy and me there was never really a point that there weren't some of our players on the point. It was crazy.

She was crazy.

If your shitter team can stay alive long enough for you to drop a forward teleporter, Symmetra absolutely dominates Anubis defence; if you take that right hand side, with the room and courtyard leading to the stairs up the bridge, you can entirely shut that side of the map down on your own, preventing flanking. 3 turrets in the room, 3 turrets in the courtyard, plus your gun, extremely tough to beat, even for Junkrat. Get your teleporter down around the corner, and most teams should hold.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
also gorillas aren't monkeys

that said I really like calling his dome the super monkey ball

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

NTRabbit posted:

If your shitter team can stay alive long enough for you to drop a forward teleporter, Symmetra absolutely dominates Anubis defence; if you take that right hand side, with the room and courtyard leading to the stairs up the bridge, you can entirely shut that side of the map down on your own, preventing flanking. 3 turrets in the room, 3 turrets in the courtyard, plus your gun, extremely tough to beat, even for Junkrat. Get your teleporter down around the corner, and most teams should hold.

Now I'm just hoping I can play her more. Most the time when I pick her the healer changes because "hey we got a support!" Because my extra 25 shield is gonna save a lot of lives.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
When the gorillas went ape on the moon and murdered everyone Winston was like "Yeah, gently caress this guys, I'm out" then he invaded Earth to eat all of their peanut butter.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
aimbot, luck, or skill?

http://i.imgur.com/D39jBXx.webm

tonight, on Thread Decides

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

mcvey posted:

A c9 player did get caught/banned for cheating yes.

What about Taimou? This clip looks suspicious AF

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRo0Csl8P2Y

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Minrad posted:

aimbot, luck, or skill?

http://i.imgur.com/D39jBXx.webm

tonight, on Thread Decides

i see that you are aiming at a bot, so obviously aimbot

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

She was crazy.

Yeah, I think she's balanced around the assumption that she's not going to be getting many kills, so her ult charges fast if you're at all aggressive. If you can keep your teleporter up most of the match your team can be pretty dominant even if they're kind of poo poo, especially on some maps. (Anubis)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

NTRabbit posted:

Junkrat isn't really the answer to Symmetra, the tanks are. Most of the tanks have weapons that hit large areas, mitigate/heal damage, and have large health pools - They aren't really threatened by her turrets.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

Now I'm just hoping I can play her more. Most the time when I pick her the healer changes because "hey we got a support!" Because my extra 25 shield is gonna save a lot of lives.

Symmetra doesn't need to save lives, she blunts assaults and closes chokepoints while dead people shortcut back into action with her teleporter. I like to use her on Gibraltar defence too, but once they get to the final checkpoint there's not a lot of good turret spots left to abuse.

Countblanc posted:

Junkrat isn't really the answer to Symmetra, the tanks are. Most of the tanks have weapons that hit large areas, mitigate/heal damage, and have large health pools - They aren't really threatened by her turrets.

The good part about that map is that very few tanks can actually make it across the sniper/torbturret/bastion controlled opening, and no you're wrong, Reinhardt is the only tank the turrets aren't a huge threat to - three turrets plus your gun shred D.Va or Roadhog rapidly, the best of them get two turrets down before dying, and they take care of Zarya pretty easily once her shield goes too. Even better in that room and courtyard, because you can space the turrets out so far that it takes one shot each to kill them, and still make them hidden from being shot out of their field of fire.

Junkrat is the answer to Symmetra in that, in my favourite turret places, his bouncing grenades are the only thing that can destroy them without jumping in front of them.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 7, 2016

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

totalnewbie posted:

thats just twitch shooting and while it looks really awkward it works for some reason, from someone who decided to try using the technique yesterday and while not very good at it has noticed a positive effect

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

totalnewbie posted:

he's still at it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

NTRabbit posted:

That Pharah death was just annoying enough to make me quit, for cheats I'm talking about the reams of snap-to headshotting Widwomakers, Soldier 76s who shoot like they have their ult on all the time, and Hanzos who never miss even the most extreme shots, like one who scored two headshots, in two different directions, mid air before hitting the ground. Don't care how much you practise for comp, that poo poo doesn't happen without technical help.

It sounds like you might just be a huge loving baby.