Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

Crazy Ted posted:

FIFA is perfectly fine in it's original version, when it was strictly limited to football administration and governance. It became an indefensible behemoth when Joao Havelange took it over, made it into a commercial organization, started competing with club football, and introduced Brazilian-style politics and corruption into the organization.

This just makes United Passions, the film that said that all the problems with FIFA were the fault of the British, even funnier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Blue Star Error posted:

For about a week before this happens to him too. Infantino was somehow the cleanest person running for President and surprise surprise turns out he's a mucky little fucker.

Infantino only emerged from nowhere once it was clear plantini couldn't run. He was always dodgy as gently caress

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

Troy Queef posted:

This just makes United Passions, the film that said that all the problems with FIFA were the fault of the British, even funnier.

Sunday is the one-year anniversary of its North American theatrical release! It made $918 that weekend!

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Don't allow the Swiss to be involved in football imho

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Shinjobi posted:

It all goes back to Brazil.
Given what's going on it's kind of amazing to think that at this point Brazil would probably be better off if the old military junta actually came back to power.

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

Troy Queef posted:

Football was a mistake, so the movie is right.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
The new changes to the laws of the game last month have two new entries that I think are particularity crafted to enable the games proceeding in Dubai.

The change to turf fields being allowed for all levels of international matches.

Additions of "water breaks" periods during the half to allow players to hydrate and cool off.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
Water breaks were added for Brazil, I thought.

chaoslord
Jan 28, 2009

Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Bea Nanner posted:

Water breaks were added for Brazil, I thought.

The competition committee for the World Cup added those but they hadn't been added to the Laws yet. Technically, approval for water breaks in any competition before June 1 required approval of IFAB. Now any stoppage approved by the competition committee are approved in the Laws.

In practice, there isn't really much of a difference since of course any big event like the World Cup would get IFAB approval without problem. It just means your local youth leagues aren't violating the Laws anymore.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer
We had water breaks in Russia (it's not all cold, there are places where it's so hot that playing without them during summer is simply dangerous) for a few years now.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Yeah most youth leagues in America have a rule about the heat index getting to 95 or higher requiring water breaks to prevent serious injury. Heat index of 104 cancels the game.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Lladre posted:

The change to turf fields being allowed for all levels of international matches.

Turf is awful and leads to awful football matches and significantly increased rates of injury. lol just lol if Qatar 2022 ends up using all turf because it's too hot for grass to grow or whatever.

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

vyelkin posted:

Turf is awful and leads to awful football matches and significantly increased rates of injury. lol just lol if Qatar 2022 ends up using all turf because it's too hot for grass to grow or whatever.

I confirm that turf is awful. Source: there's a lot of turf in Russia and a lot of turf in Sweden.
While turf is the only economically feasible solution for cold climates (barring clubs that can afford a stadium with both retractable roof and a pitch that can be moved out of the stadium), Qatar is not a cold climate and not a place where "economical feasibility" is relevant.
Also there should not be a world cup in Qatar.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

vyelkin posted:

"If". I'd be loving surprised if they didn't!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Qatar will be all turf and we will literally see human beings baked on it

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm sure all the poor people can go without water for a month to keep the grass alive

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Jose posted:

i'm sure all the poor people can go without water for a month to keep the grass alive

maybe watering the grass is what they'll use the water breaks for

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
"first carbon-neutral world cup"

"grow patches of real grass in the middle of the 50 degree desert in climate-controlled open air stadiums"

:thumbsup: fifa!

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

vyelkin posted:

True story there have been FieldTurf games in MLS where the "grass" reflected so much heat back on a hot day that parts of players' shoes started to melt.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Crazy Ted posted:

True story there have been FieldTurf games in MLS where the "grass" reflected so much heat back on a hot day that parts of players' shoes started to melt.

It's not turf's fault that our players are too hot to be contained by mere shoes.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Crazy Ted posted:

I've played a couple outdoor games in August, in Virginia. I do not recommend it. Your feet will burn like motherfuckers.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat

vyelkin posted:

I referee on turf fields and it is brutal in late spring early fall in the Northeast of US with the amount of heat radiating off of it.
Summer in Qatar it will be beyond comedy. I am talking about people getting burned from just having their exposed skin touch the stuff. (Which I guess is comedy so long it's a player you dislike)

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
If they go through with the WC in Qatar then there's no way they can even think about playing during the day. Hell, if summer in Phoenix taught me anything it's that they'll still need water breaks if they play in the middle of the night. Expect heat stroke to occur at least once per match day.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Aren't they playing it in the "winter", where the average high is only mid 70s F?

Nill
Aug 24, 2003

The question remains if players will still take dives to fake an injury after the first sad sod has his uniform melt on contact with the turf.

A few third-degree burns are a small price to pay if it curbs simulation I say.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Bovril Delight posted:

Aren't they playing it in the "winter", where the average high is only mid 70s F?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Nill posted:

The question remains if players will still take dives to fake an injury after the first sad sod has his uniform melt on contact with the turf.

A few third-degree burns are a small price to pay if it curbs simulation I say.

Agreed.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

And it's scheduled for late November. Max temp in late last November was 30c/86f.

It's hot but it's not going to be anything beyond what's currently played.

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

Can someone explain 'Turf', to me it's grass.... old PNE supporter so I know what plastic grass is, what's Turf refering to?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

djssniper posted:

Can someone explain 'Turf', to me it's grass.... old PNE supporter so I know what plastic grass is, what's Turf refering to?

It's artificial turf with the rubber pellets underneath to simulate dirt. The rubber pellets soak up sunlight (because they're black) and the heat has no where to go because it sits on a bed of concrete rather than porous Earth that can soak up and dissipate heat.

I love how Qatar is spending money out the rear end to build a brand new city (not just a stadium) to hold the final in but can't be assed to build domes or enclosed stadiums with air conditioning because it's cost prohibitive.

Io_
Oct 15, 2012

woo woo

Pillbug

Shoren posted:

If they go through with the WC in Qatar then there's no way they can even think about playing during the day. Hell, if summer in Phoenix taught me anything it's that they'll still need water breaks if they play in the middle of the night. Expect heat stroke to occur at least once per match day.

It's way worse than Phoenix because of the humidity because your sweat doesn't evaporate.

dogboy
Jul 21, 2009

hurr
Grimey Drawer

Io_ posted:

It's way worse than Phoenix because of the humidity because your sweat doesn't evaporate.

I think most Qatar is mostly desert climate and there is no such thing as humidity. Dehydration is a bitch there though because all your sweat evaporates happily.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
When Infantino gets kicked out and we welcome our Arab overlords, I am going to meltdown hardcore over Australia getting kicked back out of the AFC

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
I got caught up in all the talk of searing heat and forgot that they're loving up domestic football schedules to hold the Qatar WC in the winter so my comments about Phoenix aren't really relevant anymore. Still, hot and humid is better than extremely hot and not humid because, while sweating isn't as easy, you can still breathe fine since the air isn't so hot and dry that it sucks all the moisture from your throat almost immediately.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Just sad it has to be in Qatar and there are no nations with the infrastructure to step in and host a profitable well attended world cup, or are there?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

African AIDS cum posted:

Just sad it has to be in Qatar and there are no nations with the infrastructure to step in and host a profitable well attended world cup, or are there?

You unimaginable bastard.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747

African AIDS cum posted:

I am sure the home of football, the People's Republic of China, could easily step in and handle it. It would also ensure it was still hosted by an AFC country!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

African AIDS cum posted:

Make the World Cup Great Again. :911:

Koesj
Aug 3, 2003

dogboy posted:

I think most Qatar is mostly desert climate and there is no such thing as humidity. Dehydration is a bitch there though because all your sweat evaporates happily.

hahaha no, the Gulf often makes it humid as hell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes

African AIDS cum posted:

Why not do it like Euro 2020 where 13 cities from different nations host it? :)