Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

When will these boob windows end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I like both boobs, and windows from which to view them. What's the problem?

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i can't really see anything questionable about her design at all

i guess you could make that argument about her boob window thing but it's a pretty tame outfit overall

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Golden Goat posted:

Maybe not a boob window exactly, just the way it's laid out really draws attention to that area.

But then she does cool stuff such as

So it's fine.
That just strikes me an actual real-world fashion thing I've seen occasionally.

Also drat it this game looks amazing. How am I ever going to be able to afford a PS4.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

The Colonel posted:

i can't really see anything questionable about her design at all

i guess you could make that argument about her boob window thing but it's a pretty tame outfit overall

It's an excellent outfit, the trousers are fantastic and the mask and hat combo is excellent but it really, really does draw attention to her breasts with the corset circling around them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Golden Goat posted:

Maybe not a boob window exactly, just the way it's laid out really draws attention to that area.

But then she does cool stuff such as

So it's fine.

That's honestly just a really basic bit of clothing design. It emphasizes the chest somewhat but *all* clothing will emphasize attributes of someone's body. There's a difference between something like that and boob windows/cleavage.

Edit:

Like, a character's design (and clothing design in general) is going to draw the eye to body parts because a lot of clothing design is intended to accentuate attractive features on both men and women and people like to feel attractive. It's a problem when the character design puts 'sexy hotness' above actual elements of communicating the character but in this case the character design is dead on (at least from what we know) for the character.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Jun 7, 2016

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Remind me never to look up underbust corset again.

The P5 protag's outfit accentuate's his sexy eyes.

Golden Goat fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Jun 7, 2016

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
All women in video games should be wearing the Catarina/onion knight armor from Dark Souls. But even that's too curvy, ugh. Put all women in this to prevent lewd thoughts, tia

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Golden Goat posted:

It's an excellent outfit, the trousers are fantastic and the mask and hat combo is excellent but it really, really does draw attention to her breasts with the corset circling around them.

You're reaching.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I wasn't trying to convince anyone from buying the game, jeez. Besides, latex catsuit with zippers is like the most stereotypical BDSM fetish dominatrix gear in popular culture, so I don't know what you guys are on about.

Endorph posted:

uhm

have you seen the other two girl's thief outfits?

Nope, haven't been following the game since the first trailer.

That's a sweet gif, though.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Verranicus posted:

You're reaching.

Agreed.
Let it be known that it is not a boob window of any sort and that Anne is the only character to have one.

Renoistic posted:

Nope, haven't been following the game since the first trailer. The gif Golden Goat posted looks pretty sweet, though.

Like even if you have an issue with costumes the game is really not going to focus on that and instead focus on a lot of crazy flair.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

RareAcumen posted:

Ooh, I finally have a question I can ask here again.

What's the verdict on the Mario and Luigi games beyond Bowser's Inside Story? That's as far as I got and all I know is Sticker Star being a hot mess.

Dream Team suffered from a lot of bloat and excessive tutorials. It's not exactly terrible, but it just goes on for way too long.

Paper Jam is good outside of the Papercraft battles. Not as good as BIS or SS though.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Paper Jam's battles were excellent but it's plot, jokes and locations kinda felt flat.

The minigames were a weird and kinda dumb roadblock for the game though.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Actually (not to pile on, I just like discussing clothing and character design in games):

While sexualization of underage characters is uncomfortable, you're not going to be able to create a character design completely free of any element of emphasizing of physical attributes because short of all-covering robes clothing just doesn't do that. Skirts tend to emphasize the legs, jeans the hips, and so-on. The key is making sure these elements properly communicate the character rather than putting sexualization first, and to avoid adding 'sexy' (especially to underage characters) just because you want to make it more marketable.

Persona 4 largely has good designs in that each character openly communicates their intended archetype but has lesser design elements that emphasize things about them otherwise. Yukiko, for example, is an intentional Yamato Nadeshiko archetype with design elements that match that. However her key color is red and yellow and intentionally calls to mind fire and heat elements that are a bit out of contrast with the 'quiet, softspoken and sweet' image she is intended to project.She wears stockings which are totally someone's fetish material but in this case tend to communicate more of a closed design (no open leggings like Rise.)

Kanji is drawn as a standard biker punk but his key visual is that his jacket is always hanging off him and looks about to fall off (and in-game he frequently loses it) which draws attention to the fact that the biker personality is something he plays up to disguise what is beneath. (And it comes full circle for Golden's ending where he stops dyeing his hair and changes his design entirely, even if they keep going back to his other design.)

Inevitable someone is gonna find this stuff hot because it features attractively-drawn anime characters in stylish clothing. However by and large it isn't inappropriate or weird because the outfits are design to communicate the character and rather than featuring overt sexualization just to have overt sexualization they flow as a coherent part of the entire design. It's also best if you try to avoid making "this character is overtly sexual" for a pandering 14 year old but if wishes were fishes we wouldn't be depending on otaku dollars for the continuation of franchises.

The Atelier series is basically "all kinds of pretty clothing: the JRPG" and you can write a lot about how those designs tend to emphasize characters or just be stylish and nice-looking. It's why the occasional Platcha looks bad because they're not only overtly sexualized in a dumb way but they're drastically in contrast to the rest of the series which is all about creating cute clothing and character designs. Platcha's designs are bad not just because they are creepy but because they are hugely out of place for the rest of the clothing design in the game. She looks like she wandered in from the Ar Tonelico studio next door or something.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
a skintight catsuit is also a classic look for a lady thief, you goober.

on an unrelated topic, i just started shallie and i vaguely recall that one of the shallies was supposed to be much better for a first playthrough. which one was that?

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Renoistic posted:

I wasn't trying to convince anyone from buying the game, jeez. Besides, latex catsuit with zippers is like the most stereotypical BDSM fetish dominatrix gear in popular culture, so I don't know what you guys are on about.

i think people are more likely to associate catsuits, in a game, about thieving, with, Catwoman instead of BDSM

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Green shallie is the cool one

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Cake Attack posted:

Green shallie is the cool one

thanks

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Catsuit is appropriate for the game and if your standard for good character design is absolutely no one would get a boner from it, there's literally no such thing as a good character design.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Conversely I'm playing other Shallie because it seems like she's the one with the plot. From the few chapters I played of Green Shallie, I just felt like everything was happening around her. Might change later in the game, mind you.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

dmboogie posted:

i think people are more likely to associate catsuits, in a game, about thieving, with, Catwoman instead of BDSM

To be fair, the two are kind of intertwined.

Catwoman-style 'sexy catsuit thieves' have always had an element of BDSM to them. it is why Frank Miller, bless his heart, went literal with the subtext and made Catwoman into a dominatrix before she became a thief. A lot of her regular design elements (the whip for example) are tied to that.

It's also become such a common visual that it's moved away from what it used to be though and 'skintight catsuit = thief' is just sort of shorthand even when you're not following it to its conclusion.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Serious Frolicking posted:

a skintight catsuit is also a classic look for a lady thief, you goober.

on an unrelated topic, i just started shallie and i vaguely recall that one of the shallies was supposed to be much better for a first playthrough. which one was that?

Green Shallie Green Shallie Green Shallie Green Shallie

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Can catsuits be both sexy and still fit perfectly with the phantom thief theme?

Yes. The answer is yes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I remember when Sabrina had a whip in the original Pokemon for some reason

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Sakurazuka posted:

Green Shallie Green Shallie Green Shallie Green Shallie

Is this it?

Cause that hat is adorable.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

i think sexy designs can also be good designs depending on the context. peace

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

i think sexy designs can also be good designs depending on the context. peace

What's your favourite sexy design Endorph?

Mine's Bayonetta.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Golden Goat posted:

Is this it?

Yes!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Junpei Hyde posted:

Mine's Bayonetta.

i don't find bayonetta sexy tbh

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

ImpAtom posted:

Actually (not to pile on, I just like discussing clothing and character design in games):

While sexualization of underage characters is uncomfortable, you're not going to be able to create a character design completely free of any element of emphasizing of physical attributes because short of all-covering robes clothing just doesn't do that. Skirts tend to emphasize the legs, jeans the hips, and so-on. The key is making sure these elements properly communicate the character rather than putting sexualization first, and to avoid adding 'sexy' (especially to underage characters) just because you want to make it more marketable.

Persona 4 largely has good designs in that each character openly communicates their intended archetype but has lesser design elements that emphasize things about them otherwise. Yukiko, for example, is an intentional Yamato Nadeshiko archetype with design elements that match that. However her key color is red and yellow and intentionally calls to mind fire and heat elements that are a bit out of contrast with the 'quiet, softspoken and sweet' image she is intended to project.She wears stockings which are totally someone's fetish material but in this case tend to communicate more of a closed design (no open leggings like Rise.)

Kanji is drawn as a standard biker punk but his key visual is that his jacket is always hanging off him and looks about to fall off (and in-game he frequently loses it) which draws attention to the fact that the biker personality is something he plays up to disguise what is beneath. (And it comes full circle for Golden's ending where he stops dyeing his hair and changes his design entirely, even if they keep going back to his other design.)

Inevitable someone is gonna find this stuff hot because it features attractively-drawn anime characters in stylish clothing. However by and large it isn't inappropriate or weird because the outfits are design to communicate the character and rather than featuring overt sexualization just to have overt sexualization they flow as a coherent part of the entire design. It's also best if you try to avoid making "this character is overtly sexual" for a pandering 14 year old but if wishes were fishes we wouldn't be depending on otaku dollars for the continuation of franchises.

The Atelier series is basically "all kinds of pretty clothing: the JRPG" and you can write a lot about how those designs tend to emphasize characters or just be stylish and nice-looking. It's why the occasional Platcha looks bad because they're not only overtly sexualized in a dumb way but they're drastically in contrast to the rest of the series which is all about creating cute clothing and character designs. Platcha's designs are bad not just because they are creepy but because they are hugely out of place for the rest of the clothing design in the game. She looks like she wandered in from the Ar Tonelico studio next door or something.

I get what you're saying and largely agree. I still think Anne's thief design was a misstep on the developer's part and would have preferred if they went with something more in tune with the other characters' stylish outfits.

Ninja edit: I just looked up the other characters' designs and Anne's thief design is still my only complaint. Well, it wouldn't have been much of a complaint if the character weren't underage. That's the tipping point to me.

Golden Goat posted:

Quoting this because that hat is the best part about Atelier Shallie (and I enjoyed the game).

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 7, 2016

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Endorph posted:

i don't find bayonetta sexy tbh

That's fair, everyone's tastes are different.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Dream Team just dragged near the endgame. I tried to finish it before Paper Jam and just burned out after doing all that super bed stuff. Long filler areas for fetch quests mixed with how obnoxious some enemy attacks got with cohort airships just to go to the final area was just so boring. I want to try Super Star again because I don't remember it being as bad (except Joke's End, but the trash music there made it way worse too) just to confirm if SS is the best or I just forgot the padding poo poo.

Speaking of poo poo, I randomly ran into Dantarg in Romancing SaGa 2! That was fun! :haw: :rip:

I'm a few generations in (Gerard, Canal Fortress, Pirates, Pirates, Volcano) at about 450 HP and Open Fist(?) and Grand Slam were borderline party-wide OHKOs. After realizing I had no chance I noticed you could run from him so I ended up trying to farm techs from him by throwing a slew of regular attacks at him and hoping for sparks and if things started to look bad to bail / reload. It worked pretty well and I even got some evade techs for some of Dantarg's moves but not the party killers. Finding strong enemies, try to spark, then bail seems a decent way to farm new moves in this game.

Also if you're going to go messing around in the jungle, be an Empress and make a woman-centric party. There's a village that you can't enter as Emperor (not sure about the party) and Rocbouquet is nearby too. If you do the tower dungeon you can fight some jerk enemies, an rear end in a top hat miniboss, Rocbouquet who'll just charm your party and win immediately, who then locks you into fighting a real boss who introduced my face to the curb. :rip: x2

e: Really I think the key thing I need is the magic research to finally become available and try to get some good gear out of my R&D. I got the Orchard and University built but I don't do/fight enough to trigger another scene where I can build another public works. The interface and lack of information is still frustrating.

Scrublord Prime fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Jun 7, 2016

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

All women in video games should be wearing the Catarina/onion knight armor from Dark Souls. But even that's too curvy, ugh. Put all women in this to prevent lewd thoughts, tia

Good. Maybe then we can bury that stupid censorship wail that goes up any time a woman of any age in a video game is given more clothes to wear.

Plus they'll be able to milk more money out of people by releasing DLC to release body features a single hair at a time.

Dr. Fetus posted:

Dream Team suffered from a lot of bloat and excessive tutorials. It's not exactly terrible, but it just goes on for way too long.

Paper Jam is good outside of the Papercraft battles. Not as good as BIS or SS though.

I did end up watching a bit of Dream Team and it seems like they somehow managed to make the giant battles slower than they were in BIS. Which is just mind boggling.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Scrublord Prime posted:

Dream Team just dragged near the endgame. I tried to finish it before Paper Jam and just burned out after doing all that super bed stuff. Long filler areas for fetch quests mixed with how obnoxious some enemy attacks got with cohort airships just to go to the final area was just so boring. I want to try Super Star again because I don't remember it being as bad (except Joke's End, but the trash music there made it way worse too) just to confirm if SS is the best or I just forgot the padding poo poo.

As someone who recently re-played Superstar Saga I can confirm it's still very good. And yeah Joke's End is a trash area; much too lifeless compared to all of the others.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Man, it would've been nice if Xenoblade had that kinda thought for its armors. But I know that's not really a fair comparison since it's a huge RPG and there's lots of different things to wear instead of like, three outfits in story mode.

Genocyber posted:

As someone who recently re-played Superstar Saga I can confirm it's still very good. And yeah Joke's End is a trash area; much too lifeless compared to all of the others.

Joke's End never bothered me because I couldn't figure out how to get there to begin with. So by the time I figured out how I was just happy to be able to get on with the rest of the game.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

Genocyber posted:

That's good to hear; Superstar's my favorite Mario RPG of the lot and it never felt like any of its sequels managed to capture the same spark as it did. :unsmith:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Junpei Hyde posted:

Mine's Bayonetta.

bayonetta has a cool design in both games. i should probably play my copy of bayo 2 one of these days, the thing that always keeps me from playing my wii u is that it's in a way more inconvenient area and i have to wear my glasses to see the tv screen clearly, and i don't want to play it on the tiny wii u gamepad

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jun 7, 2016

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon

ImpAtom posted:

Agreed

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Scrublord Prime posted:

That's good to hear; Superstar's my favorite Mario RPG of the lot and it never felt like any of its sequels managed to capture the same spark as it did. :unsmith:

Really? As much as I love Superstar Saga I much prefer Bowser's Inside Story. Having two "modes" (Bowser and the Bros.) really helps keep things fresh and I love the interplay between them. Also one of the best soundtrack's in a Mario RPG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vkgo8m58jlk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Wii u controller tiny? Am I missing something?