Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

frozenpussy posted:

ullerm do you have a blog? would you consider doing one, it would be worth reading a stream of consciousness about game mechanics topics by you.

namamai.wordpress.com

I haven't updated it in quite a while, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Nunes posted:

Are there any good resources online that I can do some reading to learn basic principles and ideas for learning to get better at pvp? I primarily want to understand how to start thinking about fitting and how to recognize if I have the right ship/fit for a particular engagement in pvp. I hope this question makes sense. I don't have a lot of successful experience with pvp.

The Eve is Easy stuff by suitonia is very accessible and he does a good job at explaining what he's doing and why he's doing it. It's very T1 frigate-focused but that's the best way to learn anyways (especially now that there is no waffe double SRP on Comets :sigh:)

I just put a stack of Tristans, Incursi(?), and Atrons into Ichoriya and now that I have time to play again am going to try welping a couple every day until I don't suck :black101:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
The company and the players like to say EVE is complex like a selling point but the game has this... appalling lack of information about itself. It helps to read about the concepts behind the game, but that's only perhaps a third of figuring out what's going on. It helps a lot if you're the type of person who learns how things work by seeing what changes when you break something.

I also want to say I started playing EVE because it's what my friends were doing. I kept my subscription going because that's how you level up. A few years of that and the only thing keeping me playing now is a sunk cost fallacy and all that SP I can't walk away from. It's been seven years and I still don't know what the gently caress.

You'll never have a perfect understanding so don't let the book stuff stop you. If things don't make sense it's not your fault. There are still times when all I see is number vomit in the overview, a warp disruption icon and my HP dropping.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Nunes posted:

Are there any good resources online that I can do some reading to learn basic principles and ideas for learning to get better at pvp? I primarily want to understand how to start thinking about fitting and how to recognize if I have the right ship/fit for a particular engagement in pvp. I hope this question makes sense. I don't have a lot of successful experience with pvp.

Just read Ullerm's post history from eve threads. It will go over your head for a while, but he does a good job of distilling the fundamental principles and basic tradeoffs you have to make in fitting. I am at best mediocre at honest pvp, but reading his posts has crystallized a lot of the basic knowledge for me. Eve altruist is also a decent read, at least the "know your enemy" series.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
Im loving really good at eve online in general~~~

4th Horseman
Jun 3, 2011

Sekenr posted:

Does it make sense to join goon waffe as a newbie with no money? In terms of having fun and learning the game and have stuff to do. Alternatively how does one join Videogames' chill mining guild?

Goons give money ships, (bad) advice and support for whatever you want to do in game. People give money for your first post, first tackle first loss first kill. Basically anything you do as a newbie.
Community is key to enjoying this game, so the most important thing to do is find a bunch of people that are friendly and active.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

frozenpussy posted:

The company and the players like to say EVE is complex like a selling point but the game has this... appalling lack of information about itself. It helps to read about the concepts behind the game, but that's only perhaps a third of figuring out what's going on. It helps a lot if you're the type of person who learns how things work by seeing what changes when you break something.

I also want to say I started playing EVE because it's what my friends were doing. I kept my subscription going because that's how you level up. A few years of that and the only thing keeping me playing now is a sunk cost fallacy and all that SP I can't walk away from. It's been seven years and I still don't know what the gently caress.

You'll never have a perfect understanding so don't let the book stuff stop you. If things don't make sense it's not your fault. There are still times when all I see is number vomit in the overview, a warp disruption icon and my HP dropping.

Unironic :same:

Everytime I log on, I still feel like I have no real idea of what I'm doing and the only reason I'm still playing its because "Muh Character Sheets!"

Nunes
Apr 24, 2016

ullerrm posted:

namamai.wordpress.com

I have been reading through this blog and I feel like I am staring into the abyss.... and the abyss is staring right back. In all seriousness, this is a great read. Thanks again for the link. It is giving me some good things to tangentially research into.

Jon Von Anchovi
Sep 5, 2014

:australia:

Syndic Thrass posted:

Im loving really good at eve online in general~~~

Noted supercapital FC Syndic Thrass :wangpatriot:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Sekenr posted:

Does it make sense to join goon waffe as a newbie with no money? In terms of having fun and learning the game and have stuff to do. Alternatively how does one join Videogames' chill mining guild?

You can join, but don't join and just sit in Saranen and hope you get involved in something you'll enjoy. You very likely won't. If I was in your position, knowing what I know, I would join but also keep an alt out of the alliance and join RvB or something similar and experience funtimes without the sperghole that is Saranen at the moment.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Nunes posted:

It's like trying to learn boxing from a book, experience is the best teacher here. Just join a pvp group and if you are in gsf leverage your double peacetime srp to lose pirate cruisers in lowsec.

Ships generally follow one of two basic strategies: Brawling, where you get close to the enemy, use your scram and web to prevent them from getting away and then overwhelming them with your superior dps and tank. The vigilant is a great example of this. The other option is kiting, where you use your long point to stay at a range where you can apply dps to your opponent but he can only scratch you. The orthrus does this extremely well. In both cases speed and agility are very important.

If you literally have no clue what the gently caress then look at this guy's losses, pick a ship you like and then put it in EFT. You can play around a bit with the fits, as long as you don't create something that is worse in every single metric. Then buy it, roam, shoot dudes, die and repeat. Eventually you learn what works.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

AAPsel posted:

It's like trying to learn boxing from a book, experience is the best teacher here. Just join a pvp group and if you are in gsf leverage your double peacetime srp to lose pirate cruisers in lowsec.

:laffo:

You've clearly been gone for too long, brother.

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Hi friends. I just did some HS Incursions, they weren't cancerous. Had a good time.

My Mac Eve client kept on crashing, which wasn't chill.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Oodles posted:

Hi friends. I just did some HS Incursions, they weren't cancerous. Had a good time.

My Mac Eve client kept on crashing, which wasn't chill.

The thing about cancer is that often you don't know you've got it until its too late.

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Carth Dookie posted:

The thing about cancer is that often you don't know you've got it until its too late.

It's also often harder on the woman.

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

PathAsc posted:

It's also often harder on the woman.

I thought that was miscarriages.

fake edit for content: someone post non-shitfit nightmare fits and their purpose. microgang pvp, roaming, sniping, whatever. They're the cheapest pirate BS, probably because they're poo poo, but I'd like to be proven wrong.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Nunes posted:

Yeah any reading you can throw my way would be awesome as I usually learn well that way. I did see some stuff from Azual Skoll but it was from around 2011-2012. Would it still be accurate? Yeah I really need to hurry up and join some sort of group and not try to do it alone, but I feel like I want to understand the fundamentals and theory rather than show up somewhere and just do what people tell me without understanding why it is being done that way.

Most people don't know the why, they just use fits other people give them

Also some old stuff is still spot on and some has wildly changed

join hole squad because this is literally all I do is eft retarded gimmick poo poo and bounce it off people

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Khablam posted:

You can join, but don't join and just sit in Saranen and hope you get involved in something you'll enjoy. You very likely won't. If I was in your position, knowing what I know, I would join but also keep an alt out of the alliance and join RvB or something similar and experience funtimes without the sperghole that is Saranen at the moment.

literally never been to Saranen krew

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
What is RvB

Ad by Khad
Jul 25, 2007

Human Garbage
Watch me try to laugh this title off like the dickbag I am.

I also hang out with racists.
RvB is pretty dead, I tried joining that before I joined groon.

While I was there RvB had this big alliance meeting where they answered a bunch of questions and hinted that they would be building a Fortizar when they had the money. After that they organized a big fleet battle where both sides could duke it out to decide which alliance got to hold the citadel when it was built.

The battle was 7 versus 7.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

fake edit for content: someone post non-shitfit nightmare fits and their purpose. microgang pvp, roaming, sniping, whatever. They're the cheapest pirate BS, probably because they're poo poo, but I'd like to be proven wrong.
While I'm not going to post an exact fit, it seems like it would make a good PvE ship? You'll need to worry about capacitor, so either fit a cap booster and/or rig it for cap recharge.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Ad by Khad posted:

The battle was 7 versus 7.

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.
- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

ullerrm posted:

namamai.wordpress.com

Kazak_Hstan posted:

Just read Ullerm's post history from eve threads. [...]

If whenever Ullerrm was to simply copy/paste each SA fitting post he makes into something like his Wordpress blog for here on out, that would become a pretty sweet resource... :snoop:

blakangel
Mar 28, 2004
broken reflection on the surface of never
Reminder to all members of Imperium wormhole corporations - get out and ROCK THE VOTE today. We are not officially endorsing any candidates or issues this year, though.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
drat it blaaky

Narciss
Nov 29, 2004

by Cowcaster
I don't know how a self-respecting Goon could vote for Hillary after what she's done. MAGA

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

KaoliniteMilkshake
Jul 9, 2010

blakangel posted:

Reminder to all members of Imperium wormhole corporations - get out and ROCK THE VOTE today. We are not officially endorsing any candidates or issues this year, though.

lacks phil's bizarre snakewoman fetish, 3/10

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

KaoliniteMilkshake posted:

lacks phil's bizarre snakewoman fetish, 3/10

Make Hole Squad great again. #sneks4Trump

Edit

The link when clicked keeps returning some unsafe error so I pulled it. :saddowns:

Carth Dookie fucked around with this message at 01:27 on Jun 8, 2016

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

blakangel posted:

Your hat is all I need to know you're an idiot.
Thought you should know.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
Blaaky owns, go poo poo up the dumb thread Atlantis boy

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I'm about to buy a Naglfar just to put a battleship in it.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

Blaaky owns, go poo poo up the dumb thread Atlantis boy

Shut the gently caress up Paco.

E: Jazzzz made a good point. I'm sorry deadtear.

Dalael fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jun 8, 2016

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
Please don't be unchill in the chill thread :(

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Jazzzzz posted:

Please don't be unchill in the chill thread :(

dude stop being unchill

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

frozenpussy posted:

dude stop being unchill

Nice meltdown.

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

Dalael posted:

Shut the gently caress up Paco.

E: Jazzzz made a good point. I'm sorry deadtear.

i also made that point you doofus

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014

FruitNYogurtParfait posted:

i also made that point you doofus

No. You made the point that the "Make America Great Again" hat wearing guy is a good guy, and that I should go poo poo some bad threads.
Jazz made the point that it was unchill to call you Paco and he was right.

I do try and be chill in this thread, but even the glimpse of a Trump supporter somewhat upsets me.

Oh and you called me Atlantis boy which, I am unironically taking a liking to it. Makes me sound like a failed superzero in a DC comic.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You're all making GBS threads up the chill thread with your dumb and bad posting.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
How does one make the best use of three different active accounts, isk wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Khablam posted:

Ok, kinda curious on what exactly is it that you now know though. And what should I know?

• Locked thread