Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

anime was right posted:

also lol at the fact that they want to bypass sony on dlc chars. if that was part of their business model they're idiots.

whats this part mean?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Real hurthling! posted:

whats this part mean?

idk people were saying they wanted to not have to pay sony on a cut of dlc

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

gggggggggguilty gear owns

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Let's be real: who the gently caress is going to trust Capcom with payment information after seeing their technical "competence" on display for the past few months? I certainly won't.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

Corbeau posted:

Let's be real: who the gently caress is going to trust Capcom with payment information after seeing their technical "competence" on display for the past few months? I certainly won't.

it's not worst it's just different

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

NecroMonster posted:

it's not worst it's just different

true, sony's servers were already hacked

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Let's put it this way: they're not using Steam, so they're not getting jack squat from me.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Capcom couldn't ask Sony for more or something?

I imagine sony payed for console exclusivity. Im surprised they didn't ensure this launched without a hitch.

On top of it I know they also threw in money since late USF4 to make the tournaments more enticing (for reference pr_balrog, tweet from last page was going to quit playing sf for good IIRC and started again due to the pot bonus in USF4's last capcom cup)

Even the marketing for this game was lovely.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qlTK1PYvWi4

A video ad, aimed at esports players? a niche within a niche?

I mean, your money guys.

Crown Face
Sep 24, 2008
Capcom has no leverage with Sony at this point. Why would they want to throw more money into that pit?

Their marketing was fine, though. There is plenty of stuff outside the game that you can tear Capcom apart for, like their community management, but they were appropriately aggressive with their targeted ads leading up to the release and built a lot of hype with a mainstream audience. I thought the Lupe Fiasco thing was weird but they got a shitload of viewers on Twitch for it. Things kind of fell apart right after that and they didn't really have any sort of follow-up, but overall their marketing was just fine.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

Crown Face posted:

Capcom has no leverage with Sony at this point. Why would they want to throw more money into that pit?

Their marketing was fine, though. There is plenty of stuff outside the game that you can tear Capcom apart for, like their community management, but they were appropriately aggressive with their targeted ads leading up to the release and built a lot of hype with a mainstream audience. I thought the Lupe Fiasco thing was weird but they got a shitload of viewers on Twitch for it. Things kind of fell apart right after that and they didn't really have any sort of follow-up, but overall their marketing was just fine.

I dunno man, being one of the longest running fighting games and not meeting your own sales expectations, being given money and still loving it up might just be making GBS threads the bed.(well maybe not having ingame transactions not meeting launch date or 4 months later might be worse.)

Hype? I dunno man. people wouldn't shut up at my job about MK coming out, while i recently had a discussion with someone with a xbone talking about alan wake, a 6 year old obscure game, who didn't know sf5 came out or that it was ps4 + pc only.

It's anecdotal of course but it doesn't bode well to me.

The people they did grab mainstream also were left with absolutely nothing to do in game when it launched.
Fighters all as is have an incredibly hard time breaking into the mainstream gaming market due to what they are. SF and MK can do it on name alone and it just doesn't feel like sf5 came out this year. It feels like the beta had a paygate after a few months.

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 7, 2016

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Make everyone happy - Release Super Street Fighter 5 "for free" with purchase of a PS4 compatible version of Ultra Street Fighter IV.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Medullah posted:

Make everyone happy - Release Super Street Fighter 5 "for free" with purchase of a PS4 compatible version of Ultra Street Fighter IV.

dang I only have super sf4

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No one was talking about SFV when it was coming out that wasn't already aware of it. There was very little in the way of actual promotion for the game and even the tv spot they got for it wasn't being put up on every avenue. Compare this game's marketing to SFXT's where they were talking about that game literally every minute hey could, held contests, a dumb show, assloads of trailers hyping the game up, THAT was marketing a game.

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica
This is completely on par with Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 . In fact it may even be worse because at least you could play the lovely game that was FFXIV 1.0 without game breaking lag

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Enkmar posted:

This is completely on par with Final Fantasy XIV 1.0 . In fact it may even be worse because at least you could play the lovely game that was FFXIV 1.0 without game breaking lag

do you not remember trying to deal with the server side menus

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
btw the UI in ff14 1.0 was originally server side so you have to navigate them with a minimum of like 200ms ping

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

edit:found what i was looking for

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Pomp posted:

btw the UI in ff14 1.0 was originally server side so you have to navigate them with a minimum of like 200ms ping

oh yes now I do recall that particular issue, okay maybe they are on par with eachother

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The difference between SFV and FFXIV 1.0 is that Squeenix managed to make a great game out of that while Capcom will probably just continue wallow in it's mud.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
if capcom ends up making the story mode dlc so that involves gill or something literally destroying the world like what FF14 1.0 did before they shut it down then they'd do a lot to win my respect

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

darealkooky posted:

if capcom ends up making the story mode dlc so that involves gill or something literally destroying the world like what FF14 1.0 did before they shut it down then they'd do a lot to win my respect

that would be rad

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Jack Trades posted:

The difference between SFV and FFXIV 1.0 is that Squeenix managed to make a great game out of that while Capcom will probably just continue wallow in it's mud.

Yeah, this is Capcom we're talking about. They typically prefer to let ships sink than spend money fixing them.

I'm just saying what they should do. Not what they'll actually do.

Also, FFXIV is like a one in a million thing and I know I mentioned it before, but the fact that it eventually turned out good and wound up being successful after the worst launch in history is nothing short of a goddamn miracle.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, as someone who cancelled my pre-order to wait it out for the goty version, I'm actually kind of skeptical there will be a goty version. People say SFV needs to do what KI did, but that's not possible. KI was never in this state. Additionally, I think the major reason that Double Helix developed season 1 for KI, but Iron Galaxy did seasons 2 and 3 is because Iron Galaxy started working on season 2 before Double Helix finished working on season 1. I don't think Capcom has the resources to make the necessary changes by season 2 of SFV at this point. That being said, Cacpcom should have went the full KI route from the start, as in release a 20 dollar game with 4 characters and 4 more as DLC for another 20

I think a definitive version of the game will be released, but at this point it would be best to hold out until after CPT 2017. Once again, I would like to point out that FROM did something DS2 SotFS that Capcom should completely copy. When that version of the game was released you could either buy the whole game again, or just get it as an upgrade at reduced cost if you had the original. Obviously the big problem here is that there is no guarantee there will be a season 3 for SFV at this point. By that time it might just be too little to late.

I was the most vocal about the game being unfinished during the betas, but if you would have told me the cash shop would still not be in by this point back in December I wouldn't have believed you. Seriously, let's pretend it's a fact that the ranking of unfinished AAA games is 1. Sonic 2006 2. FF XIV. Where would SFV be then?

Otakufag
Aug 23, 2004
Read this poo poo https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1n7dfv/then_now_analysis_of_the_most_upvoted_complaint/ and say with a straight face that SFV is worse than FFXIV at launch. Not defending the steaming pile of platypus turd that SFV currently is, but FFXIV was somehow even worse.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm fairly certain Capcom knows how to charge people for balance patches

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

I really can't summerize everything wrong with the UI in a brief post, but the general idea is that it takes you about 40 times longer to do anything than it should.

Sounds like SFV to me.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
From all I've heard about FFXIV 1.0, it made SFV look like The Witcher 3.

SFV is functional at least, like, you can turn it on and play matches and it works. It's more on a Ubisoft level of bad.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

someone post the 1.0 black shroud video

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
Street Fighter V is a more typical case where a developer like Ubisoft pushes out an unpolished, half-finished game like Assassin's Creed Unity. Now that is a pretty fair comparison.

I actually played FFXIV 1.0. It really was one of the worst, most baffling games I've ever seen. Never have I ever seen anything like it before or since. Look, I know people say it was bad, but it's hard to truly understand just how bad it was unless you were there. It's hard to wrap your mind around and comprehend just how insanely bad it was.

It was so bad that SE cancelled the game, fired almost everyone who worked on it, and made an entirely new game to replace it. It almost bankrupted the company. FFXIV 1.0 and 2.0 etc are kind of a misnomer as A Real Reborn was literally a whole new game.

SFV is a broken mess but saying that it comes anywhere close to the disasterpiece that was FFXIV 1.0 is laughably ignorant. If you compare it to Assassin's Creed Unity, that's pretty fair. Maybe you could even say Aliens: Colonial Marines. But FFXIV 1.0 was some next level poo poo that was so inept that it's hard to believe it was a real thing that even happened.

Safety Scissors
Feb 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
So like #10-#20 or #20-#30?

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
https://twitter.com/CEOJebailey/status/740013851605925889

https://twitter.com/nycfurby/status/740000535240118272

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

(sfv died on its own, overwatch was just at the funeral to grab widows on the rebound)

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
sf5 is vince vaughn and overwatch is owen wilson

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Otakufag posted:

Read this poo poo https://www.reddit.com/r/ffxiv/comments/1n7dfv/then_now_analysis_of_the_most_upvoted_complaint/ and say with a straight face that SFV is worse than FFXIV at launch. Not defending the steaming pile of platypus turd that SFV currently is, but FFXIV was somehow even worse.

this list leaves out my favorite 1.0 fact - you couldn't kick people from guilds. Ignoring having to kick someone for being an rear end in a top hat, if you somehow managed to get a full linkshell in that shitpile and needed to get rid of inactives you had to disband and reform by making sure every single person is given the equivalent of an invite in person.

It did tell you who was online though so at least it has that over SFV

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Real hurthling! posted:

(sfv died on its own, overwatch was just at the funeral to grab widows on the rebound)

basically

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Real hurthling! posted:

dangerdoom volvo posted:

sf5 is vince vaughn and overwatch is owen wilson

These are two very surprisingly apt metaphors

Lothire
Jan 27, 2007

Rx Suicide emailed me and all I got was this amazingly awesome forum account.

Tortured By Flan
SFV is a broken mess outside of the core functionality of "be a fighting game." There's still plenty to pick apart even then, but one could play and maybe end up enjoying it for what it currently is.

FFXIV 1.0 was thoroughly broken. Ranging all the way from how one leveled up to how there was nothing but leveling up to do, nothing worked as it should. Even the mechanic for limiting how much experience points one could earn was broken. There was no real joy to derive from that game for a very long time, and it was not until the last year or so that there was actually something to do outside leveling up and farming for materials (so your crafter buddies could level up). I know, because I was the first of the goon guild to level cap a Gladiator during initial release, due to how equipping a shield counted as leveling up another class which caused the exp penalty system to stop at -10% reduction and never go deeper. Leves (repeat generated quests) were pretty much a joke for a long time.

I can go on but we'd be getting into dissertation territory and the earlier link ought to do it. The point is, putting SFV on the same plane suggests that 1.0 had some kind of core functionality that the general player base could get into. It didn't, and the only people who played the majority of 1.0 were masochists that either loved grinding because that's how MMOs use to be (me at one point in time), or would sit out somewhere in Ul'dah and macro the needed buttons to craft 99 items while jerking off or watching Netflix with their character on auto-pilot. It got better, dropping the exp penalty thing entirely and so forth, but preparations for 2.0 was around the corner by the time the game hit something resembling a decent product.

As far as a definitive edition or whatever, I don't know what to think. I'm willing to put my bet on a big patch update thing like what they did for SFxT 2013 after the DLC characters were out and call it something. Maybe market that.

Lothire fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Jun 7, 2016

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Otakufag posted:

who cares about this argument

rednecked_crake
Mar 17, 2012

srsly who wants to play this lamer?
I've started using Alex v-skill more against characters that try to keep me out by throwing normals to discourage the dash - command grab or elbow with reasonable success. HP buffered into hp slash into backdrop is something like 300+ damage and really discourages people from taking that route and trying something else, and the HP will sometimes function as an anti-air if I read them wrong and they just want to jump in.

HP buffered into HK elbow with v-skill on, or mk elbow otherwise is really helping against sims who just want to keep me out with mk and mp. I eat a bit of damage if my spacing is off, they get 300+ if I do hk elbow into ex-slash.

https://my.mixtape.moe/ssrnft.webm

If only the online was better.

rednecked_crake fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jun 7, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

So based on the recent posts in this thread, is M. Bison going to initiate Project Psycho Crush, drop a meteor on the planet, and prompt the release of Super Street Fighter V: A Fight Refought in 2018?