Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Yeah, I made a nice bundle tonight, but still not quite even to Oregon levels. Though if Johnson funding pans out the way I hope that should put me back in black.

Sad part now is outside of VP lottery tickets, it's just poll bets until the conventions, and then the same until november.

Edit: the CA MOV gets you twice as many pennies at the moment. https://www.predictit.org/Contract/2802/Will-the-margin-of-victory-in-California-Democratic-primary-exceed-3-percentage-points#data

Edit2: VV You actually thought he was dropping out tonight? ha! Bernie may drop out after getting pasted in DC next week with no more primaries to contest, but otherwise he's in it to the convention.

OAquinas has issued a correction as of 07:05 on Jun 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Bernie's speechwriter was in the DROPOUT market I loving swear

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Aliquid posted:

No doubt. That has to have been the craziest swing of the night.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

It was a legit swing because he was actually for-real giving a concession speech until 80% of the way through.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Aliquid posted:

I now have a really embarrassing position in that stupid market. I still expect him to drop out, whether it's after DC or earlier.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Joe Man wins again :dukedog:

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Aliquid posted:

It was a legit swing because he was actually for-real giving a concession speech until 80% of the way through.

I honestly wonder if he did pull a Wolf of Wall Street there, about to concede and then say "gently caress it"!

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

OAquinas posted:

Yeah, I made a nice bundle tonight, but still not quite even to Oregon levels. Though if Johnson funding pans out the way I hope that should put me back in black.

Sad part now is outside of VP lottery tickets, it's just poll bets until the conventions, and then the same until november.

Edit: the CA MOV gets you twice as many pennies at the moment. https://www.predictit.org/Contract/2802/Will-the-margin-of-victory-in-California-Democratic-primary-exceed-3-percentage-points#data

Edit2: VV You actually thought he was dropping out tonight? ha! Bernie may drop out after getting pasted in DC next week with no more primaries to contest, but otherwise he's in it to the convention.

Bernie is dropping out after D.C. If he actually stays in all the way to the convention he loses pretty much any real say in the future of the party and platform. Staying in through D.C. saves face, gives his supporters closure, and follows the same path as '08. He'll be out by the end of next week.

Though I do hope that his call to win D.C. causes the Predictit Bernouts to really drive down the prices for Hillary YES bets.

EngineerSean
Feb 9, 2004

by zen death robot

The Joe Man posted:

Joe Man wins again :dukedog:

Lol

OlSpazzy
Feb 10, 2004

Tried to play the crazy flips in MT and shot myself in the foot. Fun times.

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
Hey guys do you want to know what Obama's phonecall to Bernie was about?

HINT: It rhymes with "excitement"

OlSpazzy
Feb 10, 2004

lol I wish

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

They redeemed my Bernie NOs for the CA primary half an hour ago, but my Clinton YESes are still sitting there. Is this normal?

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
For what it's worth NJ is a gubernatorial appointment state so that pretty firmly writes off Booker from the VP shortlist imo

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
Welp. Now I need a new market to sink my ill-gotten gains into...

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

OAquinas posted:

Florida Republican Senate Candidate is starting to look tempting. Of course your money will be locked up until August, but last time I glanced at the market it looked like you could probably get NOs on everyone and have negative risk. Also Rubio running for Senate only has a couple weeks left, if you think you understand the mind of Lil' Marco.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

OAquinas posted:

I made a big No bet on the Clinton Favorability market, which has since gained a lot of value.

Usual caveats about polls apply.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Necc0 posted:

For what it's worth NJ is a gubernatorial appointment state so that pretty firmly writes off Booker from the VP shortlist imo

Governmental appointment, but a special election has to occur within a certain number of months. So none of that "governor's appointment serves out the entire rest of the term" poo poo.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I've been convinced to be a little bullish on Perez or, god forbid, Kaine. Really hoping for Perez though.

Keeping it 1600 and a few think pieces made a real good case for Perez. Kaine is the boring pick that seems most likely if she just goes dumb white guy.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
I know it's a gamble but at 9-1 odds I figured Castro was a good buy.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
Bernie Dropout by end of June YES is at 60 cents. Pretty much a guarantee he'll drop out after consulting with Obama at the White House tomorrow. Like, he won't drop out tomorrow. He may wait until DC votes and concede that night. But no way is he hanging around for 3 more weeks of getting the poo poo shredded out of him.

Baddog
May 12, 2001
I think he will if Hillary doesn't give him what he wants.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

EngineerSean posted:

I won big on SD, MT, and CA. $1000 loss on ND. Got out of NM at a $40 loss. No bet on NJ. All in all, I won $3600. Best night yet.

Nice!

I made about 30%. Sold half of my CA to get risk free gains in NJ and NM, but ended up making a little less than if I'd just held CA. Less risky than all the eggs in the CA basket though.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

pathetic little tramp posted:

Bernie Dropout by end of June YES is at 60 cents. Pretty much a guarantee he'll drop out after consulting with Obama at the White House tomorrow. Like, he won't drop out tomorrow. He may wait until DC votes and concede that night. But no way is he hanging around for 3 more weeks of getting the poo poo shredded out of him.

Yeah I grabbed a bunch of shares. He's not going to keep going with no money, that's all there is to this. He won't get any more donations after today, and his fund will dry up in probably less than a week.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I have a feeling that if you wait until after his meeting with Obama, the price will drop a little when he doesn't immediately concede. Hopefully, for me at least, he goes out and talked about going to the convention right afterwards. Then he'll drop out after DC.

StevePerry
Sep 5, 2003

don't stop believin
Bored out of my skull, I bet on polls.

Don't bet on polls.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Peachstapler posted:

Bored out of my skull, I bet on polls.

Don't bet on polls.

Reuters, man. They gently caress you.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Oh my god the Hillary vs. Trump polling market ending today. Gotta read those comments.

I managed to squeeze out about $30 after showing up literally seconds late but some people just made a cool $5000 in an instant.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Vox Nihili posted:

Oh my god the Hillary vs. Trump polling market ending today. Gotta read those comments.

I managed to squeeze out about $30 after showing up literally seconds late but some people just made a cool $5000 in an instant.

drat, that was a huge flip. Saw it this morning and decided it was better not to bet on polls. Don't regret that decision, but drat.

EDIT: It looks like Bernie Dropout YES is finally starting to climb back up after his White House meeting. I'm back to even now after that election night fuckup. (Though I also bought more to max out when the prices were low, at least partially to lower my average price paid per share to be a less embarrassing number.)

e_angst has issued a correction as of 18:30 on Jun 9, 2016

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
I haven't been paying attention to that market at all but having separate markets for 1.0-1.9, 2.0-2.9, and 3+ is loving insane. Razor thin margins like that can flip on a dime and it makes me want to put lottery tickets into anything <10c for next time.

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake

nachos posted:

I haven't been paying attention to that market at all but having separate markets for 1.0-1.9, 2.0-2.9, and 3+ is loving insane. Razor thin margins like that can flip on a dime and it makes me want to put lottery tickets into anything <10c for next time.

Yup!

Don't Bet on Polls™

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

What's worse is that you have your regular updater polls, and then you get the random Yokel University Legit Poll that drops in that screws with your math. Not to mention the arbitrary poll drops from the average (seriously, a two month old poll was included in a recent averaging).

It doesn't help that the RCP interns probably play the PI markets.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

OAquinas posted:

I'd like to pick up some pennies now - but feels like this is unstable enough that someone might switch the polls around again at the last minute.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

nachos posted:

Honestly, this isn't a terrible strategy in polling markets especially early on for anything that dips too low - (and isn't super obviously dead) - with how much the markets can jump around, and as long as you're smart about it, it can pay off.

don't bet on polls

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Baddog posted:

I'd like to pick up some pennies now - but feels like this is unstable enough that someone might switch the polls around again at the last minute.

If you're worried about poll drops, the only candidates for being ditched would just serve to raise the average with their omission, so that scenario just helps the current winner.

Now, if a Rando McRanderson poll drops at Trump +1 in the next 6 hours, holy flipballs.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

OAquinas posted:

What's worse is that you have your regular updater polls, and then you get the random Yokel University Legit Poll that drops in that screws with your math. Not to mention the arbitrary poll drops from the average (seriously, a two month old poll was included in a recent averaging).

RCP's poll aggregator was amazing...when it launched in 2002. I don't know why anyone would use their poll "averages" for anything serious, though. Maybe I just can't find it, but I don't see any methodology on their site about really critical things like: how they choose which polls to include, how long each poll stays in the average, if they ever make exceptions to include or exclude polls, etc. So it's pretty disingenuous for PI to claim these are polling markets, when really they're "guess which numbers some nameless guy is going to plug in to a spreadsheet" markets.

I'm not sure what they could replace it with. I don't think any of the big poll analysts like FiveThirtyEight have put up their November forecasts yet, and even though sites like those are more rigorous than RCP in many ways, you'd still just be trading one philosophy for another. If there was a site with an RCP-style "average of recent polls" but that was actually honest about their methodology, I feel like that would at least be an improvement over how PI is doing it now.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Huffington Post actually puts out more info regarding their tracker model. Which should tell you how terrible RCP is...

Necc0
Jun 30, 2005

by exmarx
Broken Cake
Today's endorsement from Obama seems to have finally pushed CLINTON.FEDCHARGES into the low 80s. Now may be a good time to jump on that as I think it won't be long until the FBI clears her of wrongdoing.

Social Studies 3rd Period
Oct 31, 2012

THUNDERDOME LOSER

DC MoV up... and it's... bracketed? Huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

C7ty1 posted:

DC MoV up... and it's... bracketed? Huh.

Bracketed but the highest bracket is 10+ points. :abuela: can do that in her sleep. If it had gone all the way up to 20-30, that would make for an interesting market.

• Locked thread