Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

CJacobs posted:

Has anyone ever heard of a single one of these besides maybe Business Insider and the Weather Channel

Look at all these websites that uncritically regurgitated our press release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

CJacobs posted:

Has anyone ever heard of a single one of these besides maybe Business Insider and the Weather Channel

Looks like a bunch are foreign language/target ones so they're probably popular elsewhere.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Well sure, but people other than english-speaking countrymen browse this forum y'know. There are whole nations of people that browse SA that have never heard of any of those lovely sites and are proud to have crappy knockoff tech blogs represented in their own languages instead of just english. Or at least, I assume.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I've heard of David Wolfe. He's a nutjob that pushes alternative medicine and espouses the benefits of raw chocolate as a superfood that will cure what ails you. One of his more notable claims is that the reason the oceans are salty is because if they weren't the water would float away from Earth.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

CJacobs posted:

Just Thrillist.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I think there are a lot of bots out there that grab new kickstarter posts and autopost them to a blog

I think thats what most of those are

PathAsc
Nov 15, 2011

Hail SS-18 Satan may he cleanse us with nuclear fire

PISS TAPE IS REAL

Mortimer posted:

make it vibrate

Change "vibrate" to "oscillate" and you're on the right track to get more money from dumbs

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Mortimer posted:

I think there are a lot of bots out there that grab new kickstarter posts and autopost them to a blog

I think thats what most of those are

It's not just blogs. Even reputable tech sites report on obvious Indiegogo scams because wild tech claims make for extra page views. The scams then use that media coverage to give themselves extra credibility like some kind of terrible tortilla pod filled echo chamber.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

i always hated those graphics with all the logos on them. who the hell is impressed by something like that?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

i always hated those graphics with all the logos on them. who the hell is impressed by something like that?

Successful startups have done it, so now everyone does it because it's social proof/bullshit.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

CJacobs posted:

I've seen so many kickstarter projects where the team consisted solely of:

- 1 idea guy
- 1 marketing guy from another company whose job is basically to post the KS link all over those stupid websites

It's basically the textbook KS business model today

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I googled some of those, ekokultur doesnt seem to exist, ecodiarios.se doesn't load, abomus doesnt exist, 92kus doesn't have an index.html.
You probably could google the most lovely looking logos and came back with nothing.

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

I've seen so many kickstarter projects where the team consisted solely of:

- 1 idea guy
- 1 marketing guy from another company whose job is basically to post the KS link all over those stupid websites

It's basically the textbook KS business model today

speaking of that model, here's one like that which is teetering on the edge:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1284726646/the-lampster-a-lamp-with-attitude/description

They sold $1.3 million worth of these hideous lamps off a target of $30,000. I didn't think there was any chance they'd be able to fulfill their orders and more than 6 months after the KS ended they're struggling to get the backer surveys out. I reckon they'll ship a few hundred lamps a year late then fold.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I searched it on "Notey" and it turns out that Notey is not actually a news website, it is a content aggregation website that collects other peoples' blogs and links to them. Which is great.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

fishmech posted:

Looks like a bunch are foreign language/target ones so they're probably popular elsewhere.
Yeah no those Chinese ones, I'm not even sure they exist, although they do all have really cliched Chinese tech site names.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost
This is one of the guys responsible for posting about indiegogo scam campaigns on fake blogs :

http://www.herscugoldsilver.com/crowdfunding/

SpaceGoatFarts has a new favorite as of 10:11 on Jun 8, 2016

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i bet drinking some ice water would be a far more effective way to cool down. Then you are cooling you the one feeling hot instead of barely cooling a tiny area around that dumb icebox

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
At that point why not just open the freezer door, really.

CJacobs posted:

Dude!

The solar roadway thing listed a few more famous ones like slashdot and ars technica, I think, but I checked the /. post and it was basically "there's this thing and they got some DOT funding" while a lot of the comments were making GBS threads on the idea. So these things are, of course, completely worthless as even when the publication actually exists and is somewhat reputable, it just means that the project made enough waves to be worth a shot post, and isn't indicative of any kind of endorsement.

Morglon
Jan 13, 2010

Safe and sound, detached from reality.
Just like your posting.

mobby_6kl posted:

^^^
At that point why not just open the freezer door, really.

Because that'll burn out the motor probably and also make it hotter instead of cooler because of how Peltier elements work which I'm assuming is what freezers use. But seriously you could jsut use a regular fan and if you really have to get ice involved get a tray of ice cubes, put them on a stack of books or whatever in front of the fan and have the same thing for whatever a regular cheap rear end fan costs.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CJacobs posted:

A couple of weeks ago I spent a few day's worth of free time binge-reading through years worth of the YOSPOS crowd funding mock thread. Out of all the crowd-funded products that were ridiculed in that thread and ended up being successfully funded, almost all (> 80%) both had a wall of logos like this and a couple of years later ended up not delivering a product at all, or delivered one that was incredibly late and massively pared down from the original claims. So it doesn't mean poo poo; apparently it's incredibly easy to get people to feature your product. But back then there were even more "reputable" names, so I guess sites that have some basic level of journalistic ethics caught on after years of crowdfunded tears.

The claims this product makes are laughable as well. An itty-bitty ice pack isn't going to absorb much heat from the room to begin with, and the fan blowing over it will do essentially gently caress all. If they actually posted specs on the ice pack one could calculate just how bullshit it is, but of course they obfuscate it as much as possible and hide it behind Italian craftsmen and some woo about the grid being designed with parametric functions.

Morglon posted:

Because that'll burn out the motor probably and also make it hotter instead of cooler because of how Peltier elements work which I'm assuming is what freezers use. But seriously you could jsut use a regular fan and if you really have to get ice involved get a tray of ice cubes, put them on a stack of books or whatever in front of the fan and have the same thing for whatever a regular cheap rear end fan costs.

Freezers use compression-expansion based heat pumps (no idea where you got the idea they use thermoelectric ones), but the key word is that it "pumps" the heat elsewhere and in the case of a freezer it's to the coils on the back. So running an open freezer would have a net effect of adding heat to the room because it doesn't just move heat from the inside of the freezer to the back of the unit, but also adds the energy spent running the compressor to the total heat. Same deal with why you shouldn't run a window-mounted air conditioner in the middle of the room.

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 11:50 on Jun 8, 2016

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

so in a bizarre twist of fate, running your freezer to cool down one of those ice packs would add more heat to your home than the geezer would take out of it

yes, they say it's not designed to cool a home. they say it cools by as much as (lol) 3 degrees from a 12 cubic meter sealed room with good insulation. i'm going to assume that their tests didn't have any people or electrical devices (for instance, lights are a big one) in the same room because those would add heat to it at a good rate so any gains from their dinky ice pack would be quickly reversed in a real situation

BattleMaster has a new favorite as of 12:00 on Jun 8, 2016

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Unless I hosed up the math, that's ~42 kJ of cooling, which in a sealed room would be completely countered by a human sitting in the room for 10 minutes.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Germstore posted:

Unless I hosed up the math, that's ~42 kJ of cooling, which in a sealed room would be completely countered by a human sitting in the room for 10 minutes.

That's based on their numbers of 3 degrees cooling/12 cubic meters of air, right?

lol how dire

sometimes I wish I was more creative and had less shame so I could make big dollars on bullshit

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Yes. Being generous and assuming one liter of ice (based on the measurements they give for the unit) you can also calculate from the other direction. .93 kg of ice, which is .0009 tons, which is roughly 11 BTU which is roughly 11 kJ. So I think they may actually be exaggerating. So either I hosed up my math or it's less than 1 C in a 12 cubic meter room because it's literally impossible for that device to fit 4 liters of ice unless it's bigger on the inside.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I don't think it's actually ice, but is one of those gel packs which would improve the estimates somewhat. But without knowing the mass and type of gel I wouldn't be able to guess.

The whole thing is a load of crap but I wouldn't doubt their 3 degrees figure because I'm assuming it was arrived at experimentally, albeit with unrealistic best-case conditions. In practice in a real situation with a person and without a sealed and insulated volume of air it would be essentially worthless.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

I'm not so sure. Most of the cooling is going to come from the phase change, and it's hard to beat water.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I was thinking that the gel could have higher density and a higher heat capacity, but you're probably right about that. I guess the gel packs would be better at keeping stuff cold that's already cold and would be assy at cooling a warm environment down.

Jerry Seinfeld
Mar 30, 2009

CJacobs posted:

lol if you don't keep up on the latest tech news from 92k.us:

http://92k.us/

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
^^^
"The requested website is blocked by XYZ Proxy due to potential malicious activity or other security reasons.
Phishing, malicious, spyware sites are compromised or unsafe websites that may trick you into revealing personal or financial information (e.g. username, passwords, credit card information, PIN numbers, etc.)
..."

Dunno what it was supposed to be, but it looks legit!

BattleMaster posted:

so in a bizarre twist of fate, running your freezer to cool down one of those ice packs would add more heat to your home than the geezer would take out of it
Hence also the "open freezer" joke. Unless you freeze it outside your house I guess.

Although as stupid as the device is, it will probably be able to provide a somewhat refreshing feeling if you sit right next to it. Having just been in Thailand where it was 30C at night, even this piece of poo poo would be better than nothing. Still, I just have no idea why would somebody give them any money.

mobby_6kl has a new favorite as of 13:35 on Jun 8, 2016

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

it just means that the project made enough waves to be worth a shot post, and isn't indicative of any kind of endorsement.
Typically with those walls of ads, it doesn't even mean that much. Lots of times you'll see scams listed with things like "as featured in the Wall Street Journal, New York Times, etc.", but it always just means they bought a tiny ad somewhere in the paper/magazine. That's probably not the case for kickstarters, but the rule still applies that any wall of logos like that will always be bullshit.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
For reference, AC units are frequently described by the Tons of Refrigeration they provide, which is the cooling that a 1 ton block of ice would provide in 24 hours. Just use that to put in perspective their couple pound ice block

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

Just noticed the kickstarter says 12 square meter room, so that's more like 36 cubic meters, so lol at that.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

speaking of that model, here's one like that which is teetering on the edge:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1284726646/the-lampster-a-lamp-with-attitude/description

They sold $1.3 million worth of these hideous lamps off a target of $30,000. I didn't think there was any chance they'd be able to fulfill their orders and more than 6 months after the KS ended they're struggling to get the backer surveys out. I reckon they'll ship a few hundred lamps a year late then fold.

aha, 6,148 hand painted lamps.

quote:

Depending on the number of Lampsters, painting each one by hand, might delay shipping for some!

klafbang
Nov 18, 2009
Clapping Larry

Germstore posted:

Just noticed the kickstarter says 12 square meter room, so that's more like 36 cubic meters, so lol at that.

Or perhaps it's literally a 12 m2 room. I believe a block of ice could cool a two dimensional room real good.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

CJacobs posted:

I searched it on "Notey" and it turns out that Notey is not actually a news website, it is a content aggregation website that collects other peoples' blogs and links to them. Which is great.

So is Bored Panda, since I see that all the time on Facebook. I didn't know that there was actual fake blogs. Nor did I know there was an actual industry devoted to fake blogs aggregating content for fake crowdfunding campaigns.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Glumslinger posted:

For reference, AC units are frequently described by the Tons of Refrigeration they provide, which is the cooling that a 1 ton block of ice would provide in 24 hours. Just use that to put in perspective their couple pound ice block

The first "air conditioning" was literally just a huge block of ice plonked in the middle of the room, which may be the basis of that measure.

canis minor
May 4, 2011

bvoid posted:

lol if you don't keep up on the latest tech news from 92k.us:

http://92k.us/

Certainly LSD Magazine wasn't what I expected :lsd:

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/782844499/the-super-73

Of course it has a cup holder for your no gmo gluten free ecological soy latte.

KiddieGrinder
Nov 15, 2005

HELP ME

Collateral Damage posted:

Californian design

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Collateral Damage posted:

30mph! 20 mile range! Sweeeet, you get 40 minutes of ALL TERRAIN electric bike action then you have to wait 4 hours while it recharges so you can ride for another 40 minutes. I guess you could pack a spare battery but if you forgot to take it or you forgot to charge it then you'll be pushing this 65lb bike 20 miles back to your house. :v:

(Extra batteries are $400 each)