Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Chilichimp posted:

that's actually true. Anything left of the right wing is left wing... even moderate right wingers.

The way things are going, pretty soon breathing the wrong way will be considered leftist here. The right wingers are getting increasingly determined to prove their purity by dubbing anything heretical that Fox New isn't conservative enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kristov
Jul 5, 2005

HellCopter posted:

The cop lightly slaps a balloon away, accidentally popping it. The girl takes a knee like she's been gravely injured.

It's actually kinda funny.

I'm guessing the balloon had pepper spray on it which splashed in her eyes.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Kristov posted:

I'm guessing the balloon had pepper spray on it which splashed in her eyes.

e: misread that as "pepper spray in it", that makes more sense.

Or it may have just popped too close to her eyes.

HellCopter fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Jun 7, 2016

Schizotek
Nov 8, 2011

I say, hey, listen to me!
Stay sane inside insanity!!!
Nah, its just a gigantic piece of rubber flinging itself into their eye.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Yeah, I assume she got poked in the eye, it hurt like hell, and she's got a really grating cry/reaction. I assume the people who post it want us to believe she was just throwing a tantrum because her balloon popped because all liberals are pathetic children.

Rhjamiz posted:

Left Wing Media mocks the insane fringe, apparently.

That's the difference between the fringe left and fringe right. The left has plenty of 9/11 Truthers and anti-vaccine people and apparently anti-mind control leaders. But by and large the left calls them crazy and isolates them. The right embraces its crazy and defends them because they just see "allies."

That Red State writer a couple of months put it perfectly when he admitted that for years he had ignored the crazies because he agreed with them on 80% of what they believed and that seemed like enough, but the other 20% was insane and racist and really shouldn't have been ignored. Because now we have Trump.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
I had a new guitar string pop out of a pack over the weekend and hit me in the eye.

Smash the cistem

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rhjamiz posted:

The thread says to post left-wing crazy here too, right? Here have some:

Edit: To tie it back around to Right(Left) Wing Media, Mother Jones has a short "article" about her and several other California candidates for Senate.

Left Wing Media mocks the insane fringe, apparently.

As long as those hearings are televised live she's got my vote

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I assume she got poked in the eye, it hurt like hell, and she's got a really grating cry/reaction. I assume the people who post it want us to believe she was just throwing a tantrum because her balloon popped because all liberals are pathetic children.

That's the difference between the fringe left and fringe right. The left has plenty of 9/11 Truthers and anti-vaccine people and apparently anti-mind control leaders. But by and large the left calls them crazy and isolates them. The right embraces its crazy and defends them because they just see "allies."

I think we should also look to the history of politics in the modern era and note that the left tends to devour its own faster than saturn after a long, heavy workout.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Because the Right is incapable of believing not everyone acts like they do, they assume the Left embraces its fringe like they do. So they find the nuttiest Tumblr post and act like it was said by Obama, because they're coming from the same place right?

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

That Red State writer a couple of months put it perfectly when he admitted that for years he had ignored the crazies because he agreed with them on 80% of what they believed and that seemed like enough, but the other 20% was insane and racist and really shouldn't have been ignored. Because now we have Trump.

It's easy to see why they let this happen to themselves.

Right wingers have courted extremists for decades in the US. They saw a convenient voting block and threw together a disparate collection of various recessive factions for power. In doing so, they slowly drove off everyone else so they had to double down on their most repulsive platforms to keep the base that was united by hated of the other more than anything substantial. It worked out well enough (more accurately, the effects were easy enough to blame on others), but their dedication to opposing Obama at every turn after pushing for constant paranoia in the Bush years lead to them creating a monster they could no longer control the old way. One that was easily absorbed by the most belligerent bully in the playground. Formerly Cruz and friends, but now Trump.

twistedmentat posted:

Because the Right is incapable of believing not everyone acts like they do, they assume the Left embraces its fringe like they do. So they find the nuttiest Tumblr post and act like it was said by Obama, because they're coming from the same place right?

Most media outlets sticking to "the truth is in the middle" helped this. Moreso than Rupert Murdoch's evil empire ever could. They legitimized the inane screeching of right wing paranoia and denounced anything else as equally bad for the left. So now people think that asking cops to stop shooting minorities is just as crazy as saying we must flay all cops alive or that blatant white supremacists are posting valid arguments. Hell, so much as mentioning global warming is real threat or that we could spend less on the military gets you treated as a "crazy leftist."

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jun 7, 2016

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Seriously the gutless media is totally to blame for the rise of Trump and his "Make America Racist Again" movement but they really want to pretend that they had nothing to do with it. That's WHILE they have a guy on CNN that talks about how Paul Ryan is the real racist for criticism Trump and also saying that the KKK is a leftist organization and being treated as totally legitimate.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!

Radish posted:

Seriously the gutless media is totally to blame for the rise of Trump and his "Make America Racist Again" movement but they really want to pretend that they had nothing to do with it. That's WHILE they have a guy on CNN that talks about how Paul Ryan is the real racist for criticism Trump and also saying that the KKK is a leftist organization and being treated as totally legitimate.

I'm not saying they covered him correctly or admirably, but it was a Republican primary. They had to cater to the people with Florida in their hearts, and had to lower their standards enough to be able to cover people like Ben Carson and Ted Cruz without laughing. Those dolts took Donald Trump seriously and so the papers have to as well, he's their candidate. Now it's almost time for the general, we have two presumptive nominees and a much wider electorate and LO AND BEHOLD what kind of week Trump has when "He's a mexican, it's an inherent conflict of interest, I'm building a wall" isn't received by the bulk of the readership as "Well I'm not a lawyer but that sounds correct to me".

Big Hubris
Mar 8, 2011

Discendo Vox posted:

The "safe space" concept has actually, in some places, transformed from "I am someone you can speak to about sexual assault/gender issues/I don't promote or tolerate hate speech"(great) to "we have set aside this room for calming down/relaxation."(why?).

Cishet whining.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Discendo Vox posted:

Generally the problem has been that the concepts involved aren't well-defined, and students find ways to abuse the breadth of their potential application. On the campus I work at, policy-wise, things are petty much where they should be, but there is ongoing pressure from some student groups and some folks in different support services entities who would prefer to take it to the extremes depicted by conservatives. There are some campuses where these extremes are enacted, and it's apparently pretty hard to teach in those settings. This isn't because the prof can't say their preferred ethnic slurs, it's that the idea of it is easy to apply post hoc to things you don't want to hear/talk about/have your beliefs challenged on.

Trigger warnings are one of a set of problems instructors have to deal with because they give students direct leverage over the instructors-a small but frightening set of students do feel entitled to a classroom experience where they don't have to encounter stress or negative criticism. The trigger warning concept in particular is scary for instructors because it takes one vocal student/student's parents who disliked something in the class to get you fired and ruin your career.

The "safe space" concept has actually, in some places, transformed from "I am someone you can speak to about sexual assault/gender issues/I don't promote or tolerate hate speech"(great) to "we have set aside this room for calming down/relaxation."(why?). This is frustrating mostly because space is usually the most limited thing on a college campus from an admin perspective, and because a lot of the associated beliefs about stress and social support aren't based on anything- it's a vector for student entitlement with no real benefits, unlike more meaningful social support systems.

Again, though, the incidence of these things actually existing in campus policy is rare-far rarer than the right wing suggests. They are expanding due to ongoing demand, though, and they are genuine problems for education.

Why are you so upset about a little used storage room or two being used so people can calm down?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Geostomp posted:

It's easy to see why they let this happen to themselves.

Right wingers have courted extremists for decades in the US. They saw a convenient voting block and threw together a disparate collection of various recessive factions for power. In doing so, they slowly drove off everyone else so they had to double down on their most repulsive platforms to keep the base that was united by hated of the other more than anything substantial. It worked out well enough (more accurately, the effects were easy enough to blame on others), but their dedication to opposing Obama at every turn after pushing for constant paranoia in the Bush years lead to them creating a monster they could no longer control the old way. One that was easily absorbed by the most belligerent bully in the playground. Formerly Cruz and friends, but now Trump.

Yeah, early on I was picking Cruz as a dark horse because he seemed to be openly courting all the crazies and fringe groups from the "gays should die" people to the sovereign citizens. Trump just managed to one up on multiple levels. The crazy conspiracy theories, the blatant bully persona, the genuine outsider status, and of course the nationalism/racism. Cruz and others had all been playing with those reigns for years if not decades but Trump just ran with it because he's the real deal.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band
Some reporters are getting up to speed. But there are still so many political reporters who are talking about downticket republicans trying to reconcile candidate Trump and rejecting outright racism, and the reporters appear to be confused rather than appearing to be cumming in their pants.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I've had glow sticks pop in my eyes twice. Random poo poo in your eyes loving hurts, I'd rank them both above the time I had utility ATV flip down a hill and pin me to a tree in terms of pain.

Kavros
May 18, 2011

sleep sleep sleep
fly fly post post
sleep sleep sleep

comes along bort posted:

You guys really don't understand the anti abortion movement at all.

They don't give two shits what happens to babies once they're born. If anything forcing women to give birth to horribly deformed children who'll inevitably die within a year just gets them harder. More guaranteed souls for heaven and more punishment for sluts who choose to fornicate; it's a win-win in their book.

I've watched this happen with a mother who gave birth to a child with trisomy 13, simply because she was part of a religious family in which 100% there was never any grounds for abortion ever

the baby was born alive, if only just, and lived in what only appeared to be constant misery, from one invasive surgical procedure to the next, for three years, and finally died of organ failure(s).

/e - i suppose the important measure of the pro life community i took from the whole event is that once the baby was born, there was no real structure in place in her faith community to provide for the almost a million dollars of medical procedures this child needed just to limp on from one year to the next, in constant pain, significantly mentally impaired, probably deaf and mostly blind, and permanently incontinent and requiring a trach

Kavros fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Jun 8, 2016

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

fishmech posted:

Why are you so upset about a little used storage room or two being used so people can calm down?

Fishmech, I don't agree with DV on this either, but that post is from sixty pages ago.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Kavros posted:

I've watched this happen with a mother who gave birth to a child with trisomy 13, simply because she was part of a religious family in which 100% there was never any grounds for abortion ever

the baby was born alive, if only just, and lived in what only appeared to be constant misery, from one invasive surgical procedure to the next, for three years, and finally died of organ failure(s).

/e - i suppose the important measure of the pro life community i took from the whole event is that once the baby was born, there was no real structure in place in her faith community to provide for the almost a million dollars of medical procedures this child needed just to limp on from one year to the next, in constant pain, significantly mentally impaired, probably deaf and mostly blind, and permanently incontinent and requiring a trach

The prolife movement is more accurately Pro-Birth. They don't give a gently caress about the child after it is born, nor do they care about the circumstances of its birth.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I'm not saying they covered him correctly or admirably, but it was a Republican primary. They had to cater to the people with Florida in their hearts, and had to lower their standards enough to be able to cover people like Ben Carson and Ted Cruz without laughing. Those dolts took Donald Trump seriously and so the papers have to as well, he's their candidate. Now it's almost time for the general, we have two presumptive nominees and a much wider electorate and LO AND BEHOLD what kind of week Trump has when "He's a mexican, it's an inherent conflict of interest, I'm building a wall" isn't received by the bulk of the readership as "Well I'm not a lawyer but that sounds correct to me".

The skeptic in me thinks that this just means the "very serious" outlets will have to double down on things like emailgate.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

LeeMajors posted:

The prolife movement is more accurately Pro-Birth. They don't give a gently caress about the child after it is born, nor do they care about the circumstances of its birth.

Well they're also pro-18 and join the military.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Hoo-boy, this was one hell of a "discussion":

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/it-wasnt-racist-he-was-calling-attention-to-racism-cnn-trump-panel-goes-off-the-rails/

This Jeffrey Lord guy....wow. :psyboom:

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

LeeMajors posted:

The old joke is that the pro-life movement believes that the sanctity of life begins at conception and ends at birth.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

STAC Goat posted:

It's clearly a case of

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

https://www.facebook.com/DisdainForPlebs/videos/1076711845742595/

This video keeps popping up on my FB feed, mostly by people going 'wtf is going on?' but a few people I know who tend to buy into the PC CULTURE RUN AMOK! type thinking have been going "these are the kinds of people who government is trying to appeal to?".

Which goverment is trying to appeal to the protester? Considering how there are States making cops a protected class, I don't think that's true.

The audio is faked. This is the original: https://youtu.be/jIUSoj4G-1k?t=25m43s

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Chin posted:

It's clearly a case of

Hey, the Dragonborn has to start somewhere.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

STAC Goat posted:

This is always an interesting one, that it's ascribed to the left-wing when it's a bipartisan piece of quackery. Not claiming you did this, by the way, but your post just reminded me about it.

StoicFnord
Jul 27, 2012

"If you want to make enemies....try to change something."

College Slice

STAC Goat posted:

Yeah, I assume she got poked in the eye, it hurt like hell, and she's got a really grating cry/reaction.

Audio is faked. It was from a French protest to do with Labor Laws. I can get you an original source link. No screaming, just her taking a knee after latex in the eye.

Edit: Beaten to it by Perestroika

Aesop Poprock
Oct 21, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Tesseraction posted:

This is always an interesting one, that it's ascribed to the left-wing when it's a bipartisan piece of quackery. Not claiming you did this, by the way, but your post just reminded me about it.

9/11 truthers are pretty bipartisan too. Most of the ones I've vaguely known have been libertarian or anarchist. A lot of the crazier conspiracy theories seem to join together at the ends of the spectrum. Both sides hate and fear Monsanto for example but the left views it as the evils of corporations while the right views it as evils of government control

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Aesop Poprock posted:

9/11 truthers are pretty bipartisan too. Most of the ones I've vaguely known have been libertarian or anarchist. A lot of the crazier conspiracy theories seem to join together at the ends of the spectrum. Both sides hate and fear Monsanto for example but the left views it as the evils of corporations while the right views it as evils of government control

Oh yeah conspiracy theories are all over the spectrum. That said... I don't think there are many left-wing "JEWS CONTROL THE MEDIA/WORLD" types, although there's guaranteed to be at least one.

Soviet Commubot
Oct 22, 2008

Tesseraction posted:

Oh yeah conspiracy theories are all over the spectrum. That said... I don't think there are many left-wing "JEWS CONTROL THE MEDIA/WORLD" types, although there's guaranteed to be at least one.

Judging from comments on French news articles there seems to be a whole bunch of left-wing "FREEMASONS CONTROL THE MEDIA/WORLD" types.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Tesseraction posted:

Those types are sometimes attracted to groups and events that advocate for Palestinians, though, which tend to be left-leaning.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jack Gladney posted:

Those types are sometimes attracted to groups and events that advocate for Palestinians, though, which tend to be left-leaning.

Maybe, although the British Nazi National Nazi Party support Palestinian Arabs because gently caress THE JEWS. That said, they also say those same Palestinians should Stay There. Nice solidarity guys.

Soviet Commubot posted:

Judging from comments on French news articles there seems to be a whole bunch of left-wing "FREEMASONS CONTROL THE MEDIA/WORLD" types.

Gawd they could at least choose a competent shadowy group to blame things on.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

LeeMajors posted:

They love the idea of a baby because they can project whatever they want on it thanks to its "innocence." After its born, they can't do that anymore, so they lose interest. Same thing as their love for dead soldiers; they love that they have a symbol who can't prove them wrong about anything. Conservatives never really care about actual people, just ciphers they can use to justify their preexisting beliefs and biases. That and give them the opportunity to feel moral and have authority over other people without having to really do anything on their own.

CortezFantastic
Aug 10, 2003

I SEE DEMONS

This is a complete beatdown. This guy made "no u" into a twenty minute argument, which is more astonishing than the BS he spews.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Geostomp posted:

Most media outlets sticking to "the truth is in the middle" helped this. Moreso than Rupert Murdoch's evil empire ever could. They legitimized the inane screeching of right wing paranoia and denounced anything else as equally bad for the left. So now people think that asking cops to stop shooting minorities is just as crazy as saying we must flay all cops alive or that blatant white supremacists are posting valid arguments. Hell, so much as mentioning global warming is real threat or that we could spend less on the military gets you treated as a "crazy leftist."

written in 1972

Hermetic
Sep 7, 2007

by exmarx

Perestroika posted:

The audio is faked. This is the original: https://youtu.be/jIUSoj4G-1k?t=25m43s

So the headline facebookers are putting on it about it being typical liberals is true!

It's people with reasonable ideas being unfairly maligned by far-right assholes who deliberately alter and broadcast media in order to lie about and discredit those people and their ideas.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Soviet Commubot posted:

I've noticed, though, that every conspiracy about a shadowy elite running the world eventually descends into anti-Semitism. At least in the Western world, there's something baked-in about fearing the Jews are up to something. I don't know if there's an equivalent group in the Eastern world- Tibetans?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Jurgan posted:

I don't know if there's an equivalent group in the Eastern world- Tibetans?

Americans.