Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is that the one where the poor bastard gets clipped by a beam as the Gundam swoops by with no fucks given?

Nah. It's Chronicle. SPLAT *eyecatch*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Iron Blooded Orphans was on Toonami and I liked it so I guess I'm going to fall into robot hell now.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

ImpAtom posted:

Nah. It's Chronicle. SPLAT *eyecatch*

Never forget. :911:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI4ewYRrv7s

Victory Gundam Spoilers.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

Never forget. :911:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zI4ewYRrv7s

Victory Gundam Spoilers.

Never gets old.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So I watched the Doan's Island episode. Holy poo poo, they weren't kidding when they said the animation quality was low on this. It's like the entire budget for this episode was divvied up across the rest of the series to keep them on model.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

I'm really happy that this post happened

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Never gets old.

The most humiliating death for the worst Char clone. How fitting.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Dangerous Person posted:

I'm really happy that this post happened

I'm just sorry I forgot the partial version someone did with "We'll gently caress your Haro!" Or I would've used it too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

gently caress YOU, A BAOA QU!

yes

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Chapter 2 of the IBO sidestory manga's been translated http://bato.to/reader#8a1cf5b83ee0e678

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I watched the first episode of War in the Pocket and it's much more my speed. Reminded me a little of the Machine Gunners...

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

chiasaur11 posted:

Well we needed something funny to break all that tension playing out now.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I'd totally be down with Angelo-Vision as a Blu-Ray extra for RE:0096. If only for the massive art style shift.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

chiasaur11 posted:

He seems to have some competition. I like that gif and was posting it elsewhere and suggestions for Worst Char Clone included the guy from F91, somebody named Luin and the only one I know of and completely agree with, Mwu from SEED Destiny. His name was Neo something but you know what I mean. He was absolute garbage. Destiny isn't good but at least most of the stuff in it is important or necessary to the plot. La Flaga coming back as a brainwashed villain was stupid and unnecessary.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:52 on Jun 8, 2016

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NikkolasKing posted:

He seems to have some competition. I like that gif and was posting it elsewhere and suggestions for Worst Char Clone included the guy from F91, somebody named Luin and the only one I know of and completely agree with, Mwu from SEED Destiny. His name was Neo something but you know what I mean. He was absolute garbage. Destiny isn't good but at least most of the stuff in it is important or necessary to the plot. La Flaga coming back as a brainwashed villain was stupid and unnecessary.

I'm guessing the F91 guy is Carozzo Ronah/Iron Mask, who is far more Darth Vader than he is Char. In fact he isn't like Char at all beyond wearing a mask, which is very different from the usual Char mask anyways. People just want to find Chars everywhere in a franchise where they're very easy to find anyways. And Luin is far from the worst Char Clone, he is in fact pretty cool.

Neo is horrendous though, a character whose bad writing actually manages to stand out in a bad series due to how bad it is. It's honestly a wonder anyone, even the people behind Destiny, thought Neo was a good idea. I love Mu, but Neo was horrible and not Mu at all beyond being Mu despite Mu being dead, somehow. So stupid. Mu goes from a cool Quattro to a horrible Char, then back to Quattro including a gold MS, but far too late to matter.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I'm like the only person who likes Chronicle.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

MonsieurChoc posted:

I liked him for the first half of the show, and then the plot got moving along and I just grew tired of him.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

Chronicle is a dude who wears a mask because he thinks the Earth is stinky, and the first major introduction you get to him is him getting his rear end beat by a 12 year old.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
Chronicle really never felt like the Char of the series, more like a Kycillia if anything. Katejina was the real Char, but only slightly more insane.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

Kanos posted:

Chronicle is a dude who wears a mask because he thinks the Earth is stinky, and the first major introduction you get to him is him getting his rear end beat by a 12 year old.

This is precisely why I like Chronicle, because what a dinky loser he is. He is more of a parody of Char clones than he is an actual Char clone, or as I though of him, a Jerrid clone.

We should probably start having stricter rulings on what constitutes a Char clone beyond a mask. If there's no identity issues/rejection, selfish goals or vendetta, dubious loyalty, or blood relation to a supporting protagonist, the accusation of being a Char is questionable.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Not Dave posted:

This is precisely why I like Chronicle, because what a dinky loser he is. He is more of a parody of Char clones than he is an actual Char clone, or as I though of him, a Jerrid clone.

We should probably start having stricter rulings on what constitutes a Char clone beyond a mask. If there's no identity issues/rejection, selfish goals or vendetta, dubious loyalty, or blood relation to a supporting protagonist, the accusation of being a Char is questionable.

Funnily enough, Chronicle has all of those. They're just not brought up all that much.

Not Dave
Aug 9, 2009

ATAI SUPER DRY IS
BREWED FROM QUALITY
ENGREDIENTS BY USING
OUR PURE CULTURE
YEAST AND ADVANCED
BREWING TECHNIQUES.

Darth Walrus posted:

Funnily enough, Chronicle has all of those. They're just not brought up all that much.

Yeah, I kind of don't even remember them specifically outside of one, but I'm not going to doubt that probably each of those points is brought up like once over the course of 50 episodes and never really build into anything significant on any front. It's been 3 or so years since I've seen Victory so I'm due for a refresher.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Not Dave posted:

Combing every series for "Char Clones" is part of the unfortunate circlejerk the Gundam franchise has fallen into over the years. Gundam has a lot of repeating themes, so people have become conditioned to try to make direct analogies between specific characters. There's a lot of characters who are blonde guys or masked guys and fill the role of rival to the protagonist but their similarities to Char are mostly superficial. Chronicle might be a masked rival but he's definitely no Char, Graham might be a blonde ace pilot rival guy who ends up wearing a mask, but he's no Char, etc.

The only "Char Clones" in the franchise that really stick out to me are Zechs(who goes through Char's entire plot arc in the space of one series), Full Frontal(because that's what he almost literally is), and Rau(who is a masked ace pilot who shares Char's daddy issues, vendetta, and nihilistic desire to blow up Earth though his end goal is different). McGillis from IBO is also looking to fill the seat but we don't know his entire deal yet, so it's hard to make a call there. Note that all of these characters are extremely important to the plot and central conflict of their respective shows. Chronicle isn't.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

i've always considered the criteria for char clone "evocative of char" rather than "is literally char with a different name." while there's lots of char clones that don't perfectly fit who the original char was to a T, pretty much all of them are pretty clearly a purposeful attempt by the studio to remind us of char, at least in some fashion.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Combing every series for "Char Clones" is part of the unfortunate circlejerk the Gundam franchise has fallen into over the years. Gundam has a lot of repeating themes, so people have become conditioned to try to make direct analogies between specific characters. There's a lot of characters who are blonde guys or masked guys and fill the role of rival to the protagonist but their similarities to Char are mostly superficial. Chronicle might be a masked rival but he's definitely no Char, Graham might be a blonde ace pilot rival guy who ends up wearing a mask, but he's no Char, etc.

The only "Char Clones" in the franchise that really stick out to me are Zechs(who goes through Char's entire plot arc in the space of one series), Full Frontal(because that's what he almost literally is), and Rau(who is a masked ace pilot who shares Char's daddy issues, vendetta, and nihilistic desire to blow up Earth though his end goal is different). McGillis from IBO is also looking to fill the seat but we don't know his entire deal yet, so it's hard to make a call there. Note that all of these characters are extremely important to the plot and central conflict of their respective shows. Chronicle isn't.

Harry and Corin from Turn A are an interesting take. In much the same way as the rest of the show does a tongue-in-cheek retrospective on the Gundam franchise, they're its exploration of Char and his clones. Basically, they're Char split in two - the noble masked warrior/mentor-figure with the complex relationship with his royal family in the gold suit, and the unstable manchild with the colossal mad-on for Gundams in the red suit.

McGillis, meanwhile, is totally a Char. The only differences between him and the original are that he's more up-front about working with our heroes, and that he doesn't have Casval's crippling fear of responsibility.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

i've always considered the criteria for char clone "evocative of char" rather than "is literally char with a different name." while there's lots of char clones that don't perfectly fit who the original char was to a T, pretty much all of them are pretty clearly a purposeful attempt by the studio to remind us of char, at least in some fashion.

I don't really view a lot of characters who are evocative of Char as Char clones any more than I view protagonist Gundams that are evocative of the RX-78 as RX-78 clones. Graham was considered 00's "Char" and he had literally nothing in common with Char besides blonde hair, a mask, sick piloting skills, and a desire to beat the Gundam; all superficial surface stuff that doesn't really touch on the stuff that made Char Char.

Darth Walrus posted:

Harry and Corin from Turn A are an interesting take. In much the same way as the rest of the show does a tongue-in-cheek retrospective on the Gundam franchise, they're its exploration of Char and his clones. Basically, they're Char split in two - the noble masked warrior/mentor-figure with the complex relationship with his royal family in the gold suit, and the unstable manchild with the colossal mad-on for Gundams in the red suit.

McGillis, meanwhile, is totally a Char. The only differences between him and the original are that he's more up-front about working with our heroes, and that he doesn't have Casval's crippling fear of responsibility.

McGillis is definitely shaping up to be a Char; he's intimately tied to the core conflict of the setting and is seeking both revenge against a dynasty that hosed over his family as well as seeking to trigger a major societal revolution, but is rapidly shedding any semblance of morality or humanity in pursuit of those goals. If he continues on this arc he'll probably be the clearest Char analogue since Zechs.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Kanos posted:

I don't really view a lot of characters who are evocative of Char as Char clones any more than I view protagonist Gundams that are evocative of the RX-78 as RX-78 clones.

:shrug: if you did i wouldn't bat an eye, sounds like a perfectly reasonable thing to call them to me

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

I don't really view a lot of characters who are evocative of Char as Char clones any more than I view protagonist Gundams that are evocative of the RX-78 as RX-78 clones. Graham was considered 00's "Char" and he had literally nothing in common with Char besides blonde hair, a mask, sick piloting skills, and a desire to beat the Gundam; all superficial surface stuff that doesn't really touch on the stuff that made Char Char.

McGillis is definitely shaping up to be a Char; he's intimately tied to the core conflict of the setting and is seeking both revenge against a dynasty that hosed over his family as well as seeking to trigger a major societal revolution, but is rapidly shedding any semblance of morality or humanity in pursuit of those goals. If he continues on this arc he'll probably be the clearest Char analogue since Zechs.

I actually think that we'll be seeing more divergence in the second season, because McGillis is where Char never was - in a position of authority that he actually wants to be in as part of his long-term goals. He doesn't seem like the sort of guy who's going to try dropping giant rocks on Earth in order to invite Mika out for a date face his rival in a grand final battle.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Shinjobi posted:

I liked him for the first half of the show, and then the plot got moving along and I just grew tired of him.

He had potential, when I saw they weren't going to do anything decent with him now I felt the same way.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Kanos posted:

Do we know anything about McGillis biological family? All I remember was that he was adopted.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

Monaghan posted:

Do we know anything about McGillis biological family? All I remember was that he was adopted.

He was adopted by Iznario when Iznario took McGillis's biological mother as a mistress. We don't know much in the way of specifics besides that, though given his extremely apparent distaste and anger at his adoptive father it's probably a safe bet to assume that the Seven Stars had something to do with whatever hosed up McGillis's previous family life.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

He was adopted by Iznario when Iznario took McGillis's biological mother as a mistress. We don't know much in the way of specifics besides that, though given his extremely apparent distaste and anger at his adoptive father it's probably a safe bet to assume that the Seven Stars had something to do with whatever hosed up McGillis's previous family life.

I think it was the other way around. He's Iznario's initially unacknowledged bastard son, who lived in extreme poverty with his mother (or possibly without - she certainly didn't come back with him) until Iznario picked him up and took him to live with him, presumably because he realised that he needed an heir and no others would be readily forthcoming. We don't know the exact details, but the broad shape we do know gives McGillis a lot of reason to hate the Earth aristocracy in general and his dad in particular.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Is there somewhere good for talking about Gundam Breaker 3? I finished the story (bleh) but would like to try some new builds, maybe do extreme mode. I feel there's still a lot I don't know, like I can't seem to do much with martial arts for one.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Is there somewhere good for talking about Gundam Breaker 3? I finished the story (bleh) but would like to try some new builds, maybe do extreme mode. I feel there's still a lot I don't know, like I can't seem to do much with martial arts for one.

Martial arts are kinda awkward in that you either have to blow a slot on the aura builder or you effectively have two cooldowns on your skills though they're very strong. I had the best luck using the Destiny Arms with Martial Arts arms because you can cancel from melee attacks into the Destiny Finger and back again for effectively long infinite combos.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

ImpAtom posted:

Martial arts are kinda awkward in that you either have to blow a slot on the aura builder or you effectively have two cooldowns on your skills though they're very strong. I had the best luck using the Destiny Arms with Martial Arts arms because you can cancel from melee attacks into the Destiny Finger and back again for effectively long infinite combos.

Yeah, I used Destiny's arms for a spell, mostly changed to Sandrock custom ones for aesthetic reasons and because I made the Legend's Dragoon system my main option.

Trying to find a good shield weapon right now, I found one with something like +15000 shield weapon DPS, initially had it on a Banshee shield's megacannon but the cooldown sucks, as impressive as it is. I previously used the Epyon's Head Rod shield and wondered about bringing them together, but it seems a bit of a waste since it just does what a primary weapon can do.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, I used Destiny's arms for a spell, mostly changed to Sandrock custom ones for aesthetic reasons and because I made the Legend's Dragoon system my main option.

Trying to find a good shield weapon right now, I found one with something like +15000 shield weapon DPS, initially had it on a Banshee shield's megacannon but the cooldown sucks, as impressive as it is. I previously used the Epyon's Head Rod shield and wondered about bringing them together, but it seems a bit of a waste since it just does what a primary weapon can do.

The best shields in the game are the unicorn or banshee shields assuming you don't worry about the shield damage (which you shouldn't).

Both of those have an on board ifield generator that activates automatically when you'd get hit which is as ridiculously good as it sounds.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I actually like the cloaks more because they're always on and you basically never have to worry about them.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

muike posted:

I actually like the cloaks more because they're always on and you basically never have to worry about them.

They're not on for the launch animation, which annoys me. They don't always look right either.

I have just thrown together a suit with Hazel's legs and the Powered GM pack which seems neat.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rewatching 08th MS Team. Oh man, episode 3. I remember parts of the show being very pretty. I guess they hacked apart this episode to account for that. Apart from the underwater fight between Shiro and Norris, this episode was choppy choppy choppy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
So I watched ten episodes of ZZ now, I like it a lot.

Judau and his pals all seem to have some sort of mysterious newtype power where everything around them becomes more cartoony, Mashymre on the other hand feels like a character who got lost and wander in from the wrong anime, which is great and funny. I didn't like Yarzan that much so I am pretty fine with watching him get clown here, but also I just find him more interesting now because he is still dangerous, just completely without resources.

Bright is good in this too, like he is also getting clown on, but so far it looks like he also is getting some moments shine. I really like Judau. He is a real doofus. I like how they did the whole "i don't want to fight and die out in space" thing with him, he doesn't have a freak out or cry, and when he does go out in space to fight it seems like its done mostly to shut up Astonaige. Does Judau actually curse this much or do I have weird subs?

Overall, I just really enjoy getting to see more of the Zeta crewmembers they never really focused on like Astonaige and the guys with Bright on the bridge, they are getting a lot more stuff to do in this.