Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

El Grillo posted:

Can't you turn down the screen brightness to fix overheating? Or is that just with the earlier phone models?

From last page but this sounds like it sucks, sorry to hear it dude.

Turning down the screen brightness helps, as does turning off the wifi, stopping background processes, etc, but I think the S6 will still just overheat a lot since it doesn't have a good way of dissipating heat while it's in the headset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Has there been any word or rumor or speculation whatsoever when the next gen of headsets might be coming out? Part of my plan with going Vive was it would make my wife happy by doing roomscale and then I could jump on the 2nd gen oculus for my sims cause I care way more about image quality.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Ciaphas posted:

Speaking of Gear VR, anyone recommend a controller? It'd be exclusively for the phone/Gear VR, I already have an XB1 controller for the PC.
Controller support seems to be incredibly inconsistent. The two that Oculus recommend (MOGA Pro and Steelseries Stratus XL) seem to work for most things, though even then the coverage doesn't seem to be 100%. I'd recommend one of those two if you can find them, or something under $5 otherwise - just so you're not too out of pocket when it barely works on anything.

For overheating, the one almost too obvious thing to mention is don't put the Gear VR cover on over the phone.

Jarmak posted:

Has there been any word or rumor or speculation whatsoever when the next gen of headsets might be coming out? Part of my plan with going Vive was it would make my wife happy by doing roomscale and then I could jump on the 2nd gen oculus for my sims cause I care way more about image quality.
Nope, but it's also worth mentioning that there's no particular reason to believe Oculus will still be the winners on image quality in gen 2.

There may not be clear "generations" at all, of course. If StarVR comes out in early 2017, say, is that Gen 2 or Gen 1.5? Is FOVE Gen 2?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Lemming posted:

There's stuff to try out but not much that's like super incredible or amazing that you can spend hours and hours in, barring some of the sim stuff. Like I played Lucky's Tale for a while but I'm not going to be loading it up to play regularly or anything. Stuff like Chronos is legit great but is only 10-12 hours most likely, and once you beat it, it's over, and it'll still be there once there's more stuff released.

Like there are a few experiences that are really cool but once you try those out but once you've done them the most fun thing is to show it off to other people so they can experience it too. There's simply not much to do, yet. I've personally been spending most of my time recently playing Overwatch on Bigscreen, which is pretty sweet (having a fake giant screen) but probably not worht $600 or $800 to anyone who isn't a crazy person.

I guess this is where it's more personal on how much you game. I played Chronos for weeks with 2 runs, I only just finished expert on every mountain in the climb, and I've barely had a chance to get into adrift, or ethan carter at all yet. Pinball I'll play often for a quick fix here and there, elite and euro/american truck sim will suck you in, lucky's tail took a while to 100%, and Farlands I'll come back to every few days and play for a little bit too. So far edge of nowhere has grabbed me like mad and I've played like, 4 hours just in one day. Its kept me busy, with a lot of things still unplayed even, for almost 2 months now. All this is the most I've gamed in years as well, so at least personally, I can easily say this ongoing well, thats still not dry for me, has been easily worth the 600 bucks.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

NRVNQSR posted:

Controller support seems to be incredibly inconsistent. The two that Oculus recommend (MOGA Pro and Steelseries Stratus XL) seem to work for most things, though even then the coverage doesn't seem to be 100%. I'd recommend one of those two if you can find them, or something under $5 otherwise - just so you're not too out of pocket when it barely works on anything.

For overheating, the one almost too obvious thing to mention is don't put the Gear VR cover on over the phone.

Nope, but it's also worth mentioning that there's no particular reason to believe Oculus will still be the winners on image quality in gen 2.

There may not be clear "generations" at all, of course. If StarVR comes out in early 2017, say, is that Gen 2 or Gen 1.5? Is FOVE Gen 2?

Fair enough but to be honest my reason was more that oculus's tracking tech would work better for shoving into a sim cockpit which I have some designs on trying to make eventually with lumber and grabbing a car seat off ebay, the image quality part was just gen 2 versus gen 1. I had forgotten about StarVR though.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

I guess this is where it's more personal on how much you game. I played Chronos for weeks with 2 runs, I only just finished expert on every mountain in the climb, and I've barely had a chance to get into adrift, or ethan carter at all yet. Pinball I'll play often for a quick fix here and there, elite and euro/american truck sim will suck you in, lucky's tail took a while to 100%, and Farlands I'll come back to every few days and play for a little bit too. So far edge of nowhere has grabbed me like mad and I've played like, 4 hours just in one day. Its kept me busy, with a lot of things still unplayed even, for almost 2 months now. All this is the most I've gamed in years as well, so at least personally, I can easily say this ongoing well, thats still not dry for me, has been easily worth the 600 bucks.

Oh yeah, I mean I personally bought both headsets and I haven't gone a day without using one at some point, but I'm mostly talking about the average person. If you know specific things you want to do or are the sort of person who likes pretty much everything there is stuff you can spend time doing, but there's very few that I'd consider to be a killer app or a long list of AAA stuff to play.

The person who is like you is probably not going to make a decision based on what some randos are saying on the internet, you have a pretty good idea already of what you like and want, but if you know little enough about the headsets already and aren't the sort of person who's super into it already, ie people who are asking if they should get a headset or which one, you probably shouldn't be getting one right now.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005
If you aren't like totally dying for VR right this instant, I would at least wait until Oculus releases Touch later this year and then you can do a more informed and fair comparison between the Rift and Vive.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jun 8, 2016

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah, I'm in the same boat as this guy, I've found plenty to keep me busy. Also check out Darknet, it's a puzzle/hacking thing that has some nice legs on how much time you can get out of it. Darknet, Chronus, Edge of Nowhere (although maybe short), Pinball FX, Subnautica (a little buggy/early access-y), Elite: Dangerous (although I was already playing this non-VR), Technolust, and Lucky's Tale all at least feel like real games and not just tech demos. I think it helps to some degree that I'm sinking a lot of time into Elite in between the other games, so I've been spending more time gaming in VR than I have outside of it. Although I've said it before, this is definitely emergent tech, and you're spending a ton of money to be on the bleeding edge of things, but at least there is some compelling stuff to do.

Granite Octopus
Jun 24, 2008

I'm glad I started following this thread - its made me feel a lot more confident about my Oculus order which is hopefully arriving this week.

I have zero room for roomscale and am really only looking to play seated cockpit/driving games (Euro Truck Simulator mainly). Also it sounds like Dirt Rally will have full Oculus support in the next patch, which was a very nice surprise. Had anyone tried the previous versions where they had kinda-hidden alpha support? Apparently the menus weren't done but gameplay actually worked?

Anyway I've gone from considering cancelling my order to being quite excited for it!

FormatAmerica
Jun 3, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Granite Octopus posted:

Anyway I've gone from considering cancelling my order to being quite excited for it!

Yeah, you're really not going to regret it at all.

I desperately want Touch controllers to take it to the next level, but gently caress roomscale until HMDs are cordless. Even seated and as thin as the oculus cord may be the weight & constantly catching on stuff bothers me to just not want to do much more than seated + standing experiences.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I love that Fantastic Contraption has a Job Simulator Exit Burrito in it you can eat to quit the game.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Granite Octopus posted:

I'm glad I started following this thread - its made me feel a lot more confident about my Oculus order which is hopefully arriving this week.

I have zero room for roomscale and am really only looking to play seated cockpit/driving games (Euro Truck Simulator mainly). Also it sounds like Dirt Rally will have full Oculus support in the next patch, which was a very nice surprise. Had anyone tried the previous versions where they had kinda-hidden alpha support? Apparently the menus weren't done but gameplay actually worked?

Dirt Rally was really good in the DK2. The lack of menus sucked but once you were in the car, it was spot on. Hopefully the support for the consumer version stacks up as well as the beta did.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Granite Octopus posted:

If you haven't played in VR before you're in for a treat. Euro/American truck sim is one of the most fantastic things in VR. As someone who loves driving long distances in real life, there are times I've been so satisfied and in a trance while driving down a highway at night with some light rain and the radio playing that for just a split second I'll start to reach for the AC vents or radio knobs before my brain clicks in to remind me its fake.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Holy crap the Gear VR has a micro USB power jack and using it seems to make the phone heat less

I should really read manuals more often :saddowns:

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
Protips for Edge of Nowhere:

You can B out of the journals and the audio will still keep playing while you continue on. I stood around for too long on the first few while he read them.

Crank up the air conditioning in your room or at least have a fan blowing on you.

It gets real loving awesome by the end.

Claes Oldenburger
Apr 23, 2010

Metal magician!
:black101:

Got my processing email! Ordered night of the first day (10pm ish), shipping window was June 27th - July 7th. Finally!

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

GlyphGryph posted:

This one

http://steamcommunity.com/games/TabletopSimulator/announcements/detail/876326228257182968

They are working on VR be, the game itself is already out though!

It's already out. The VR for it, I mean.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

Granite Octopus posted:

Also it sounds like Dirt Rally will have full Oculus support in the next patch, which was a very nice surprise. Had anyone tried the previous versions where they had kinda-hidden alpha support? Apparently the menus weren't done but gameplay actually worked?

Fuckkkkk is there any mention of vive support for Dirt Rally? If yes then I'm going to buy a wheel and pedals RIGHT THIS SECOND.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Poetic Justice posted:

If you aren't like totally dying for VR right this instant, I would at least wait until Oculus releases Touch later this year and then you can do a more informed and fair comparison between the Rift and Vive.

I disagree, even with Touch this first Rift is going to stay behind the Vive for roomscale, and right now all the best VR games are either cockpit or roomscale. You can make an informed decision on this based on whether or not you have space for roomscale, or would rather just play cockpit games. I'd much rather use a Rift for things like War Thunder and for driving games, but Budget Cuts, Vanishing Realms and Space Pirate Trainer are glimpses into what great VR will become.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

I disagree, even with Touch this first Rift is going to stay behind the Vive for roomscale, and right now all the best VR games are either cockpit or roomscale. You can make an informed decision on this based on whether or not you have space for roomscale, or would rather just play cockpit games. I'd much rather use a Rift for things like War Thunder and for driving games, but Budget Cuts, Vanishing Realms and Space Pirate Trainer are glimpses into what great VR will become.

Brother . . .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEhOivWqGmA

that's with two crappy usb1 extension cables.

somethingawful bf fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Jun 8, 2016

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qAs0B4NUmQ
This game looks cool as hell.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Poetic Justice posted:

Brother . . .

How much are you getting paid to post?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

How much are you getting paid to post?

I think you might be insane. . .

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's a jest.

But you are just being extremely and oddly defensive about the Oculus Rift to the point where it looks almost like you are shilling for their product against any type of criticism. Like really, even not acknowledging the products current shortcomings.

Really, which is more insane in that context?

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Mordaedil posted:

It's a jest.

But you are just being extremely and oddly defensive about the Oculus Rift to the point where it looks almost like you are shilling for their product against any type of criticism. Like really, even not acknowledging the products current shortcomings.

Really, which is more insane in that context?

Actually, no I'm not, that's why I think you are insane.

Edit: The Rift is a better headset.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Does the Vive support more than two lighthouses?

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

TomR posted:

Does the Vive support more than two lighthouses?

There's a bunch of different sweep patterns that the lighthouse can be programmed to do. The current configuration only supports 2 lighthouses, other options will be released down the track in firmware updates.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Right. I was watching that video of the guy playing with touch in roomscale and he says there is a deadzone in the corner when he blocks the cameras with his body. That could be fixed with another camera, which I'm pretty sure the Oculus runtime supports. I haven't seen anyone try with more than two cameras though.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Poetic Justice posted:

Actually, no I'm not, that's why I think you are insane.

Edit: The Rift is a better headset.
Now you are arguing subjective opinion, as the Vive is better for glass-wearers and the Rift has no covering on the nose to prevent light from flowing in. Both headsets have things they could improve on and the advantage one has is really miniscule for the price offering, so it becomes a matter of "what else" it offers and... Well, the Vive just has more, even if you do have to pay a bit more for it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Poetic Justice posted:

Brother . . .

But there is no chaperone or a front facing camera. That isnt safe, and doesnt come straight out of the box.

BossTweed
Apr 9, 2001

Doctor Rope

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

But there is no chaperone

Why does it matter if there is chaparone now?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

BossTweed posted:

Why does it matter if there is chaparone now?

A chaperone prevents you from walking into furniture or hitting walls or tables accidentally.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

How's the Oculus shipping turnaround time these days? I know the Vive seems to be up to date now, but do the projected shipping times that people got from Oculus remain in effect?

Warbird fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 8, 2016

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Warbird posted:

How's the Oculus shipping turnaround time these days? I know the Vive seems to be up to date now, but have the projected shipping times that people got from Oculus remain in effect?

Yep

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Warbird posted:

How's the Oculus shipping turnaround time these days? I know the Vive seems to be up to date now, but have the projected shipping times that people got from Oculus remain in effect?

Depends slightly on the region you're in, but in the US Oculus still haven't fulfilled all the orders from the day preorders opened in January. General advice seems to be to buy from a high street retailer rather than direct from Oculus.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Mordaedil posted:

A chaperone prevents you from walking into furniture or hitting walls or tables accidentally.

Keyword being now. They have said they will have a chaperone for the Touch release. Maybe it will even be better and have a proper ceiling boundary! Or maybe it will be garbage, or they lied again and won't ship it at all.

I have yet to use the pass through camera on my Vive, I should probably figure it out but that one seems like a big non issue to me. I am mostly white glad the Steam software is good enough I haven't had to care. Man the first time you load it up and notice you you can just straight up SEE the wands is great.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

NRVNQSR posted:

Depends slightly on the region you're in, but in the US Oculus still haven't fulfilled all the orders from the day preorders opened in January. General advice seems to be to buy from a high street retailer rather than direct from Oculus.

That's a bummer. I ordered a day or two before the "launch" and I'd still be waiting for the better part of a month. I can't help but wonder if the Vive hitting supply parity is due to a better supply chain on the part of HTC or the smaller demand due to Oculus's market presence. Or both.

monkey
Jan 20, 2004

by zen death robot
Yams Fan

GlyphGryph posted:

Keyword being now. They have said they will have a chaperone for the Touch release. Maybe it will even be better and have a proper ceiling boundary! Or maybe it will be garbage, or they lied again and won't ship it at all.

I have yet to use the pass through camera on my Vive, I should probably figure it out but that one seems like a big non issue to me. I am mostly white glad the Steam software is good enough I haven't had to care. Man the first time you load it up and notice you you can just straight up SEE the wands is great.

Maybe they'll put the front camera on the touch! When you fire up the vive camera, you get the silly Tron view by default, but you can also turn a normal camera display on which sits on your hand rather than filling your whole view. Sometimes I wish the hand cam display was attached to a camera on the controller itself so I could take stupid selfies and also see my own butt.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I just finished Edge of Nowhere and oh man it was great. I could nitpick stuff about it here and there, but it was heart pumping and had my attention from start to finish. I just want more from insomniac now, a sequel or something else set in the same world, because I finished it 15 minutes ago and I want to replay it from the start already.

No ones tastes are ever the same, but I still think its a mistake to miss this one if you have a rift.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Haha @HTCHelp DMed me asking for all my contact information, I'm assuming in response to me tweeting redacted tracking info showing that 4 weeks old shipment that never left their warehouse and bitching about it still not being replaced.

Anyone want to take bets on whether they're going to call and tell me "24-48 hours"?

Not withdrawing my paypal dispute unless I see a tracking number that's actually moving.