Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Ambaire posted:

150m/s at 40-50km range headed roughly away from whatever would be shooting is not really all that much, is it?
It'd reduce the tornadoes' application by around 40-60% depending on where they were within that range window.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

LemonDrizzle posted:

It'd reduce the tornadoes' application by around 40-60% depending on where they were within that range window.

Meant to say that was with this fit, 39km optimal + 90 falloff.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Ambaire posted:

Meant to say that was with this fit, 39km optimal + 90 falloff.
I was assuming two heated tracking-scripted TCs.

e - here you go, full on nerd poo poo:

Stinky Wizzleteats
Nov 26, 2015

You must pay the price for this post.
lost a buzzard to a garmur tonight in seconds. I had my scan set to 5au and I was spamming, saw him when he was 120km from me, instantly start trying to warp, get scrammed, RIP. Got more pissed off at this loss than any other. I guess whatever missiles he uses are good on smaller ships because my SB torps did like loving 70 damage to frigates but his were doing around 500.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

lost a buzzard to a garmur tonight in seconds. I had my scan set to 5au and I was spamming, saw him when he was 120km from me, instantly start trying to warp, get scrammed, RIP. Got more pissed off at this loss than any other. I guess whatever missiles he uses are good on smaller ships because my SB torps did like loving 70 damage to frigates but his were doing around 500.

He was probably using rapid lights, Torps are probably the worst thing to shoot at a frigate.

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Xolve posted:

He was probably using rapid lights, Torps are probably the worst thing to shoot at a frigate.

Garmurs can't fit rapid lights though? He was probably using rockets if he had a scram.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Stinky Wizzleteats posted:

Torpedoes are designed for killing large ships, which is why they didn't do much to him. He was packing rockets or light missiles, both of which are designed to kill small ships like yours.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!
I remember that one time, I was in a nemesis and uncloaked to torpedo a frigate in low sec.
No, I was not drunk or high. Yes, I am that stupid and bad at EVE.

E: To be fair, he looked AFK at the time.

Pale Peril
Jun 21, 2015

The engineering of consent is the very essence of the democratic process, the freedom to persuade and suggest.
- Edward Bernays

Tortured By Flan

ullerrm posted:

Only benefits new accounts. At best, you can sell the Cerebral booster -- but even that isn't very useful given the state of skill injectors.

I guess should have edited his quote better instead of just bolding part where he mentioned the need for an alt...

E: That flash sale is now over, its back to $19.99.

Zaradis posted:

If this worked for existing, but expired, accounts I would kiss you on the lips.

:quagmire:

Pale Peril fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jun 8, 2016

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Dalael posted:

I remember that one time, I was in a nemesis and uncloaked to torpedo a frigate in low sec.
No, I was not drunk or high. Yes, I am that stupid and bad at EVE.

E: To be fair, he looked AFK at the time.

I popped out of a wormhole in a stealth bomber, saw a hulk on scan, warped over to him and opened up. Concord was there to remind me that aggression results in death in high sec. Oops.

The hulks mtu grabbed my loot, but I ran back and got another ship to blow up the mtu and get it back. High sec rules are weird.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Pale Peril posted:

E: That flash sale is now over, its back to $19.99.

I picked up 5 of them. These are the best for safaris, even if Corp thievery is in a nosedive due to Citadels.

Baculus
Oct 25, 2007

I DID A BIG CACA IN MY DRUG STORE DIAPER

Dr. Pangloss posted:

I popped out of a wormhole in a stealth bomber, saw a hulk on scan, warped over to him and opened up. Concord was there to remind me that aggression results in death in high sec. Oops.

The hulks mtu grabbed my loot, but I ran back and got another ship to blow up the mtu and get it back. High sec rules are weird.

Once upon a time I got spit out of a wormhole into low-sec and found a venture in an ore site on d-scan. I killed him and podded him in a Purifier before I bothered to notice that he was literally like 6 hours old and probably wasn't bait.

Welcome to EVE.

you feelin fucky
May 23, 2009

Dr. Pangloss posted:

Now if you did that in a 350m garmur you would be on par with jawe. Did you call out that you had it tackled on coms too?

Baculus posted:

Once upon a time I got spit out of a wormhole into low-sec and found a venture in an ore site on d-scan. I killed him and podded him in a Purifier before I bothered to notice that he was literally like 6 hours old and probably wasn't bait.

Welcome to EVE.

Newbies find their way into wormholes with disgusting frequency. I think I've killed over 30 less than a month old. My favorite one flew into goku, died in the 1-1 bubble trap and then offered a 100k isk reward in local if we could get his "egg" out. Close behind that was a direct to Rens hole that spawned two newbies. One day old and one 6 days old. They immediately started fighting. It was civilian autocannon vs civilian autocannon, but then the 6 day old newbie unleashed his secret weapon: a single warrior I. He blew up his opponent, looted the wreck and gloated in local. They learn quickly sometimes.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

AAPsel posted:

It was civilian autocannon vs civilian autocannon, but then the 6 day old newbie unleashed his secret weapon: a single warrior I.

Mother of God, what a turn of events.

Fix Lag
Sep 8, 2011

There's a sale at Penny's!

AAPsel posted:

Close behind that was a direct to Rens hole that spawned two newbies. One day old and one 6 days old. They immediately started fighting. It was civilian autocannon vs civilian autocannon, but then the 6 day old newbie unleashed his secret weapon: a single warrior I. He blew up his opponent, looted the wreck and gloated in local. They learn quickly sometimes.

Someone recorded that one

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Well, shoot! We ain't come this far just to dump this thing in the drink. What's the nearest target opportunity?

Eminai posted:

Garmurs can't fit rapid lights though? He was probably using rockets if he had a scram.

Oh my bad- I get the Garmur and Orthrus mixed up.

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014

Baculus posted:

Welcome to EVE.

That's the best introduction to Eve you can give someone.

AAPsel posted:

Now if you did that in a 350m garmur you would be on par with jawe. Did you call out that you had it tackled on coms too?

Haha, amazing. It really is disoriented when you live in wormholes 100% of the time and can freely engage anyone, then you pop into high sec. It's like when you're roaming low sec and your route takes you through that one high sec system and you're blown away by all the people in local and mining barges on scan. The reflex of "TACKLE-KILL-AS-FAST-AS-YOU-CAN" kicks in.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Dr. Pangloss posted:

That's the best introduction to Eve you can give someone.

Haha, amazing. It really is disoriented when you live in wormholes 100% of the time and can freely engage anyone, then you pop into high sec. It's like when you're roaming low sec and your route takes you through that one high sec system and you're blown away by all the people in local and mining barges on scan. The reflex of "TACKLE-KILL-AS-FAST-AS-YOU-CAN" kicks in.

That's how I lost a few Talwars. Not a big deal, of course, but I was constantly like "HOLY poo poo AN ORCA SITTING OUT IN CARROU. WHAT A loving GOLDMINE." Then I realize, "I'm in Faurent and it's hi-sec. Christ on a stick."

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

Hell yeah space drugs
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6521339

Subbz
Nov 4, 2008
Did vacationers lose access to jabber? If so rip me.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

I wish they made a mechanic where you can add a module or train a social skill that can let you hoodwink CONCORD instead of outright legalizing it. It's not as fun anymore to be a drug smuggler if they let you. But this is just my newbro opinion. I'll go back to failing to kill other people who can put up a decent fight. :histdowns:

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

That's an awesome change and it's about time. I hope it leads to increased booster usage.

Do boosters show up on pod kms?

DisgracelandUSA
Aug 11, 2011

Yeah, I gets down with the homies

Hell yeah multifit

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

This is what meat is supposed to be like, dingus

A good start. Now if they could only balance boosters so a majority of them weren't completely undermined by crippling side effects.

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Zephyrine posted:

A good start. Now if they could only balance boosters so a majority of them weren't completely undermined by crippling side effects.

That's the point and also train dug skills?

Maneck
Sep 11, 2011
The really important aspect of the booster change is it fixes not being able to put boosters into a doctrine ship contract for sale in lowsec/nullsec. Buyers had to remember to buy them off the market, and obviously never did so.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Subbz posted:

Did vacationers lose access to jabber? If so rip me.

If you didn't have an API key on file, yes, yes you did. You're no longer a vacationer and in the members group.

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Massasoit posted:

That's the point and also train dug skills?

Even with the drug skills most boosters aren't worth it. People instead use "safe" drugs whose bonuses are just somewhat related to the ship they fly in exchange for unrelated side effects. So you have

Take Frentix or Sooth sayer for example. They have a bonus to range. Hence it should be a drugs interesting to all sniper doctrines (or even all turret doctrines). Except they have a penalties to tank/tracking/velocity/range. So no one uses them.

All drugs should be useful and the use should be widespread due to their benefits but that's not true. Despite the fact that drugs are already pretty well balanced on the cost alone.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

Zephyrine posted:

Even with the drug skills most boosters aren't worth it. People instead use "safe" drugs whose bonuses are just somewhat related to the ship they fly in exchange for unrelated side effects.

This seems reasonable to me. You are accepting trade-offs in available fitting OR potentially gimping performance of an un-optimized fit, in exchange for a huge temporary bonus. Maybe they could stand to make some tweaks to some under-utilized drugs but some, like Exile, seem to be pretty widespread anyways.

But then I think drugs are far more interesting as a desperation/surprise measure than as something everyone should be taking for every fight.

quote:

Despite the fact that drugs are already pretty well balanced on the cost alone.

:catstare:

Zephyrine
Jun 10, 2014

Maneck posted:

The really important aspect of the booster change is it fixes not being able to put boosters into a doctrine ship contract for sale in lowsec/nullsec. Buyers had to remember to buy them off the market, and obviously never did so.

People sort by cost anyway. If you added boosters to doctrine ships and added them to the cost. People would buy someone else's doctrine ships at a lower cost.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Zephyrine posted:

People sort by cost anyway. If you added boosters to doctrine ships and added them to the cost. People would buy someone else's doctrine ships at a lower cost.

I miss you

Landsknecht
Oct 27, 2009
I hope this person is trolling, nobody can be so unfunny and dumb
I think we use drugs in most of our comps; you can generally negate the negatives if you're using the proper drug in the proper comp

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6521123

Paging Boney. Miniluv workload just got reduced by a ton.

//edit: should reload the page before adding a post.

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Dr. Pangloss posted:

https://forums.eveonline.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=6521123

Paging Boney. Miniluv workload just got reduced by a ton.

//edit: should reload the page before adding a post.

oh wow I thought you could already do this

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

You must be thinking of a fantasy world where :ccp: had competent employees

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe

Drythe posted:

You must be thinking of a fantasy world where :ccp: had competent employees

speaking of

posted in Elysium just now

quote:

(10:37:14) adonis_gunther: how can you post a graph like this and not add a legend/key/explanatory text of some loving sort http://content.eveonline.com/www/newssystem/media/70343/1/9ga_index.decomp.PrimaryProducerPriceIndex.png

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Zephyrine posted:

Even with the drug skills most boosters aren't worth it.

I use mostly Strong/Improved drugs, all the time, with Neurotoxin Recovery/Nanite Whatever 5/5 and I can count on one hand how many times I've had a side effect in 8 years.

2. I've had 2 whole bad side effects, one to armorrep amount (lol) and another to max velocity (also lol).

So get right the gently caress out with this 'boosters aren't worth it' bullshit.

Xolve fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Jun 8, 2016

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.

Xolve posted:

I use mostly Strong/Improved drugs, all the time, with Neurotoxin Recovery/Nanite Whatever 5/5 and I can count on one hand how many times I've had a side effect in 8 years.

2. I've had 2 whole bad side effects, one to armorrep amount (lol) and another to max velocity (also lol).

So get right the gently caress out with this 'boosters aren't worth it' bullshit.

Weren't they ridiculously expensive skills at one point (i don't recall, but I seem to think in the 3-400m mark), though, at booster release and for a good amount of time afterwards? WIthout them side effects suck and were pretty common, and most people would balk at the cost of the skillbooks, so I imagine there's a bit of a continued impression of drugs being terrible because of that.

I might be completely wrong on this though.

Xolve
Oct 12, 2012

Olpainless posted:

Weren't they ridiculously expensive skills at one point (i don't recall, but I seem to think in the 3-400m mark), though, at booster release and for a good amount of time afterwards? WIthout them side effects suck and were pretty common, and most people would balk at the cost of the skillbooks, so I imagine there's a bit of a continued impression of drugs being terrible because of that.

:shrug: depends what you call 'ridiculously expensive'. The side-effect free bonuses are well worth the investment, and are cheaper than capital books anyway.

It's worth it, one of the books is found in Serp sites, and was a little on the rare side once upon a time. Mindflood was almost required for us in a pre-phoebe New Eden (and still is for triage).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Olpainless posted:

One of the two skills is still incredibly expensive, the second one costs a lot less since people need the first one as prerequisite. That reduces the demand for the second skill somewhat. Also I guess the second skill is less rare? I'm bad with markets.

• Locked thread