Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
Buy it, and then get a little money back by selling those wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Grakkus posted:

Somebody please talk me in/out of this 540i wagon:

I've been looking at buying a beater wagon for a while as my only car is a fairy small coupe and this just popped up, and now I'm thinking to trade my S2 in for this plus the beater budget and buy a different impractical car further down the line :homebrew:

edit: it has the 6 speed manual and every available option

Buy it and replace the skirts with something not embarrassing.

edit: god all that fake chrome/metal. :barf:

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

I know a security guards job is basically doing nothing for 8 hours, but are there really people that desperate to smoke that they can't wait? JFC.

Also, that wagon is sweet and you should totally buy it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mariooncrack posted:

Are you trying to create a new boot disk?

Yes.

There's no options for using disk repair tools if the hard drive is not being recognized by the motherboard, correct?

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Grakkus posted:

:colbert: Not going to happen, buy that wagon. Sell the horrible wheels, get rid of the M5 trim and repaint the skirts

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

ExplodingSims posted:

I know a security guards job is basically doing nothing for 8 hours, but are there really people that desperate to smoke that they can't wait? JFC.

You haven't ever met a real pot head have you.

Also this security job actually requires you to enforce the rules and baby sit drunk people, so maybe he's not used to actually working (he has security "experience")

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

fyodor posted:

Buy it and replace the skirts with something not embarrassing.

edit: god all that fake chrome/metal. :barf:

It's painted silver, and comes from the factory that way.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

Yes.

There's no options for using disk repair tools if the hard drive is not being recognized by the motherboard, correct?

Probably not. Try plugging it into a different sata port just in case though.

Microsoft has its own boot disk creator for Windows 10. I had no issues with it.

If the motherboard doesn't recognize the drive, how are you going to reinstall?

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

That wagon needs some banded steels.

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

NitroSpazzz posted:

:colbert: Not going to happen, buy that wagon. Sell the horrible wheels, get rid of the M5 trim and repaint the skirts

Wtf those rims are pro

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mariooncrack posted:

Probably not. Try plugging it into a different sata port just in case though.

Microsoft has its own boot disk creator for Windows 10. I had no issues with it.

If the motherboard doesn't recognize the drive, how are you going to reinstall?

I have another SSD that has been used for storing my steam games on. I can re-purpose it for a boot drive.

I'm not sure how i can pull off creating a win 10 boot flash drive when my only working copy of win10 has now failed.

edit: i should stop making GBS threads up this thread and move this over to SCHC

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Jun 8, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

BraveUlysses posted:

I have another SSD that has been used for storing my steam games on. I can re-purpose it for a boot drive.

I'm not sure how i can pull off creating a win 10 boot flash drive when my only working copy of win10 has now failed.

edit: i should stop making GBS threads up this thread and move this over to SCHC
Grab the media creation tool on another computer and use it to make a win10 install flash drive. Boot it. Install windows on the other SSD. Move along with your life.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yeah, i dont have access to any win10 computers, dont have the serial number for my win10 install that was upgraded from 7. gently caress.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

BraveUlysses posted:

yeah, i dont have access to any win10 computers, dont have the serial number for my win10 install that was upgraded from 7. gently caress.

Don't need it. Windows validates based off the Mobo/CPU or some fancy juju. Just reinstall 10, and it will re-activate itself.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

BraveUlysses posted:

You don't need another windows 10 computer to run the media creation tool, just another copy of Windows. If you don't have the iso for Windows 10, the tool will download it.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

*Nerd warning* I finally broke down and replaced my mish-mash of different storage HDD's with a set of 4TB drives in a RAID 5. Transferring all my crap via an external USB3.0 dock from the 3 random drives I had in there before is gonna take forever it appears. The write speed to the RAID is not super fast, seems to be averaging 30-40 MB/s, but for some reason occassionally bursts up to over 100 MB/s. Wish it would sustain that.

Boot drive is still an SSD, so now I'll have a C and D drive (the RAID) instead of C, D, E, H, or whatever strange arrangement it was before, and I can use the old 4TB drive in the dock to actually back up the portion that is important enough to be backed up (i.e. none of the movies, and probably not most of the RAW images from the camera).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

mariooncrack posted:

You don't need another windows 10 computer to run the media creation tool, just another copy of Windows. If you don't have the iso for Windows 10, the tool will download it.

Awesome, thank you!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

meatpimp posted:

A troll that is so sad irl that he posts personal information in a desperate, misguided attempt to have some human compassion thrown his way.

Can't believe I'm defending corn but that's half of what gets posted in community chat threads. I've done exactly what you mention because I just have to get something off my chest and it'd be nice if someone relates to it and reassures me.

cakesmith handyman fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jun 8, 2016

Hansolio
Nov 4, 2009

I W A N T M Y M T V

The Locator posted:

*Nerd warning* I finally broke down and replaced my mish-mash of different storage HDD's with a set of 4TB drives in a RAID 5. Transferring all my crap via an external USB3.0 dock from the 3 random drives I had in there before is gonna take forever it appears. The write speed to the RAID is not super fast, seems to be averaging 30-40 MB/s, but for some reason occassionally bursts up to over 100 MB/s. Wish it would sustain that.

Boot drive is still an SSD, so now I'll have a C and D drive (the RAID) instead of C, D, E, H, or whatever strange arrangement it was before, and I can use the old 4TB drive in the dock to actually back up the portion that is important enough to be backed up (i.e. none of the movies, and probably not most of the RAW images from the camera).

The company I work for has gone from using RAID 5 to RAID 10 for our server deployments. We saw too many failures during rebuilds (2, but that's 2 too many) to keep on with it. It probably had more to do with HP drivers/firmware or bad run of drives, as the drives were all similar vintage, than it had to do with RAID 5 being at all dangerous. Uh, I guess get a hot spare in there if your setup supports it is all I'm saying.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hansolio posted:

The company I work for has gone from using RAID 5 to RAID 10 for our server deployments. We saw too many failures during rebuilds (2, but that's 2 too many) to keep on with it. It probably had more to do with HP drivers/firmware or bad run of drives, as the drives were all similar vintage, than it had to do with RAID 5 being at all dangerous. Uh, I guess get a hot spare in there if your setup supports it is all I'm saying.

So yea, this is a personal home PC. I don't even really need the redundancy of RAID 5 (my life would go on with very little disruption other than me being annoyed if I lost everything on my PC), there is no way I'm going to deal with RAID 10. I'd have to either get a completely different motherboard that had more SATA drive capability, or a separate RAID controller, and get another 2 drives in order to set up RAID 10 and not end up with less storage space than I started with, and enlarging the storage was part of the reason for getting rid of the mish-mash of drives (replacing smaller drives).

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

some texas redneck posted:

I actually have that same head unit sitting on my desk. Got it as a "don't think it works, hooked it up wrong and didn't get sound, yours for the cost of shipping" radio (it worked fine when I tested it), I just haven't gotten around to tracking a trim ring or a mounting kit.

It's not a bad head unit. A little goofy looking, but it's decent, and actually has radio preset buttons (something my current DEH-X8600BH lacks, and not having them drives me crazy).

The FH-X700BT is what I put in my wife's Kia. Works and sounds fine, BT is reliable. No real complaints. It's still available at Sonic Electronix: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_60597_Pioneer-FH-X700BT.html
Crutchfield shows that it's been replaced at the same price point by the Pioneer FH-X720BT, which looks slightly better in my opinion, but basically the same.
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130X720BT/Pioneer-FH-X720BT.html?tp=5684
and
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_89876_Pioneer-FH-X720BT.html

Both Crutchfield and Sonic Electronix provide the dash kit and wiring adapter for free (actually $50 off for Crutchfield, but usually ends up free.)

Grakkus posted:

I've been looking at buying a beater wagon for a while as my only car is a fairy small coupe and this just popped up, and now I'm thinking to trade my S2 in for this plus the beater budget and buy a different impractical car further down the line :homebrew:

edit: it has the 6 speed manual and every available option

Man, I love those wheels on that chassis, and the skirts. I would drive that everywhere.

NitroSpazzz posted:

Wheels are fine. Maybe paint the skirts. M5 trim: meh.

Tusen Takk posted:

Wtf those rims are pro

This guy knows. Larger, but not too big/dubs. Good offset/flush (NOT Hella).

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

I am sure that anyone typing out that those wheels look good on that wagon are a low effort troll post. Wheels are bad, the skirts are almost forgivable. I would probably ditch the M5 badging unless it actually has an M5 engine/trans/diff.

You should buy that wagon and come to experience the painpleasure of aging German Engineering

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

Hansolio posted:

With RAID5, the bigger the size of each physical disk and thus the logical array, the higher the probability of a failure during the rebuild process.

http://www.standalone-sysadmin.com/blog/2014/11/recalculating-odds-of-raid5-ure-failure/

I've specced a load of 6x2TB RAID5 arrays in servers recently. After reading the above and also dealing with some multiple disk RAID5 failures I have only gone that large in RAID5 because they are only backup servers (so no live data and there is also a secondary backup point after this), and because it made it lots cheaper being able to use an 8 bay chassis than a 12 bay.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

Hansolio posted:

RAID 5 has not been recommended for ~2-3 years now? Maybe in a home-use, under 5 disk- but industry wise most companies have gone the same path. RAID 10, Raid 6, or Mirroring/Z2 in ZFS land. Remember folks, RAID is not a backup strategy.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Cakefool posted:

Can't believe I'm defending corn but that's half of what gets posted in community chat threads. I've done exactly what you mention because I just have to get something off my chest and it'd be nice if someone relates to it and reassures me.

Yeah. But you are a part of, and contribute to, this dysfunctional community. He just sits on the sidelines and takes weak pot shots without every adding anything real. Big difference.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

The travel forum seems pretty quiet and I think a lot of you guys can probably answer my questions/give advice so figured I'd ask here if you don't mind :)

For the first time in, like, ever, Mrs. Slidebite and I are planing on pulling a 3 week vacation this fall - Sept 3 to 25 time frame to coincide with our anniversary and Hawaii is in our cross-hairs, although we're not completely decided yet.

We've never been, but pretty much everyone we have spoken to has said Maui is their favourite island so we're thinking of splitting the trip between there and the big island.

Why the big island? I absolutely want to go tho Mauna Kea and check out the telescopes and also hit Hawaii Volcanos national park because we're both huge geeks. I understand the beaches and scenery on Maui are really nice. The only real appeal Oahu has for me is Pearl Harbour and it really doesn't appeal to me that much. Should we be considering another island?

Likes: Beaches, relative quiet (not super crowded), decent food, landscape sightseeing and some poo poo to do... maybe short hikes and a bit of snorkelling. Things like a pineapple plantation tour might be kind of neat too. Nightlife isn't a biggie as we're now both at or over 40 and other than the odd show, nightclubs don't do anything for us anymore. For reasons which I won't go deeply in to, we sort of want to stay away from the Caribbean.

I guess my questions are:

How long should we think of staying on each island? Especially if we want at least 2 or 3 beach days on each... if not more (I presume the big island has some decent beaches?). Where on the islands should we stay? A postcard "room on the beach" would be great but of course we can't expect that. We're tentatively thinking of spending a total of 14-17 nights, leaving the first Saturday (3rd) Is that reasonable? We're not planing on the full 3 weeks as in my experience there is nothing worse than coming home from a big trip on a Saturday/Sunday only to go back to work Monday and feel like poo poo from the travel... so we'll probably come back the Tues-Thurs time frame.

Costco travel seems to have some good vacation package rates including all flights (inter-island included), rooms and car rental and lots of upgrade options for hotels. I'm leaning towards booking with them but obviously haven't decided on anything at this point. Good resources to recommend for island activities? Airlines to avoid? It looks like Costco would be putting us on Delta from YYC-SEA-KOA/OGG. First class is "only" about $1K more so we might splurge to be able to recline as my wife actually got a DVT in her leg when she was in her early 20s so we get a little concerned of limited legroom for flights more than a few hours.

I've also heard that food is quite costly pretty much everywhere in Hawaii and the inside thing to do is make sure your room has a basic kitchenette so you can cook some meals and not be stuck with a $50 breakfast every day. C/D?

tl/dr Tell me about Hawaii

Ether Frenzy
Dec 22, 2006

Nap Ghost
If you're doing 3 whole weeks, go to Greece, do everything for 1/5th the price of Hawaii, experience something beyond "The US but with Spam".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Skiathos

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crete

etc

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Europe and possibly the Mediterranean will be on the agenda next big trip, not this year though.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

the spyder posted:

RAID 5 has not been recommended for ~2-3 years now? Maybe in a home-use, under 5 disk- but industry wise most companies have gone the same path. RAID 10, Raid 6, or Mirroring/Z2 in ZFS land. Remember folks, RAID is not a backup strategy.

RAID-6 or RAID-60.

Always make backups. RAID is for uptime, not backup.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
I really enjoyed my time in Greece 1
5y years ago but I heard its been recently taken over by either literal nazis or literal stalinists.

Maksimus54
Jan 5, 2011

slidebite posted:

The travel forum seems pretty quiet and I think a lot of you guys can probably answer my questions/give advice so figured I'd ask here if you don't mind :)

For the first time in, like, ever, Mrs. Slidebite and I are planing on pulling a 3 week vacation this fall - Sept 3 to 25 time frame to coincide with our anniversary and Hawaii is in our cross-hairs, although we're not completely decided yet.

We've never been, but pretty much everyone we have spoken to has said Maui is their favourite island so we're thinking of splitting the trip between there and the big island.

Why the big island? I absolutely want to go tho Mauna Kea and check out the telescopes and also hit Hawaii Volcanos national park because we're both huge geeks. I understand the beaches and scenery on Maui are really nice. The only real appeal Oahu has for me is Pearl Harbour and it really doesn't appeal to me that much. Should we be considering another island?

Likes: Beaches, relative quiet (not super crowded), decent food, landscape sightseeing and some poo poo to do... maybe short hikes and a bit of snorkelling. Things like a pineapple plantation tour might be kind of neat too. Nightlife isn't a biggie as we're now both at or over 40 and other than the odd show, nightclubs don't do anything for us anymore. For reasons which I won't go deeply in to, we sort of want to stay away from the Caribbean.

I guess my questions are:

How long should we think of staying on each island? Especially if we want at least 2 or 3 beach days on each... if not more (I presume the big island has some decent beaches?). Where on the islands should we stay? A postcard "room on the beach" would be great but of course we can't expect that. We're tentatively thinking of spending a total of 14-17 nights, leaving the first Saturday (3rd) Is that reasonable? We're not planing on the full 3 weeks as in my experience there is nothing worse than coming home from a big trip on a Saturday/Sunday only to go back to work Monday and feel like poo poo from the travel... so we'll probably come back the Tues-Thurs time frame.

Costco travel seems to have some good vacation package rates including all flights (inter-island included), rooms and car rental and lots of upgrade options for hotels. I'm leaning towards booking with them but obviously haven't decided on anything at this point. Good resources to recommend for island activities? Airlines to avoid? It looks like Costco would be putting us on Delta from YYC-SEA-KOA/OGG. First class is "only" about $1K more so we might splurge to be able to recline as my wife actually got a DVT in her leg when she was in her early 20s so we get a little concerned of limited legroom for flights more than a few hours.

I've also heard that food is quite costly pretty much everywhere in Hawaii and the inside thing to do is make sure your room has a basic kitchenette so you can cook some meals and not be stuck with a $50 breakfast every day. C/D?

tl/dr Tell me about Hawaii

Kauai is what you seek. Find a condo in the middle, rent a car and enjoy the garden island. It is absolutely gorgeous, what hawaii was supposed to be like 40 years ago, and quiet(except for chickens) Maui is awesome for beaches but getting crowded in a hurry. Oahu is island Los Angeles. Can't speak to the big Island. My advice is spend a couple days on the big island to see the volcano, maui to snorkel/dive, and at least a week in Kauai to decompress.

epic bird guy
Dec 9, 2014

Transmission to base... Transmission to base...

Progress has been steady so far, with few casualties. Power unit has been extracted and is secure.

Comms ability is limited this far afield, but documentation is being prepared for a full report upon return.

Stay tuned to this frequency. Tomorrow we dig into what makes this thing tick.

If I don't make it, at least you'll have my lovely posts to remember me by.

Farewell.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
ok, so i have been able to get all 3 hard drives back online without any major changes. either the motherboard is flaky or the power supply is the culprit. tested the voltages on the PSU and they seem to be within spec but it's 4 or 5 years old at this point.

but the main problem is that the hard drives sometimes won't register in windows, sometimes they wont show up in the bios even. sata controller gone bad?

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 9, 2016

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

meatpimp posted:

Yeah. But you are a part of, and contribute to, this dysfunctional community. He just sits on the sidelines and takes weak pot shots without every adding anything real. Big difference.

Stop taking it so personally.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

BraveUlysses posted:

ok, so i have been able to get all 3 hard drives back online without any major changes. either the motherboard is flaky or the power supply is the culprit. tested the voltages on the PSU and they seem to be within spec but it's 4 or 5 years old at this point.

but the main problem is that the hard drives sometimes won't register in windows, sometimes they wont show up in the bios even. sata controller gone bad?

My first instinct is always dodgy PSU. It's easy to replace and likely the cheapest as well.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

BraveUlysses posted:

When they won't show up in the BIOS, is it all drives, one drive, two drives... ? Or random?

If it's all of them disappearing at once, I'd suspect the controller. If it's random, start with SATA cables and the PSU. And make sure you're not using those molex to SATA power adapters. If you're using the onboard controller on your motherboard, do you have two controllers, or just the one? If you have two, you could try moving the drives to the other controller. Boards with more than 2 or 3 ports often have 2 controllers - I have two on mine, one controlling 4 ports, the other controlling 2.

I'm running a 6 or 7 year old PSU with no issues, but it's a decent brand (Corsair). At least in my own experience, a dying PSU will gently caress with system stability long before it causes drives to not show up - but it's easy enough to swap, and if it's an off brand, you may as well swap it anyway.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 07:25 on Jun 9, 2016

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine

meatpimp posted:

I've tried with you, I really have. However, you've shown yourself to be nothing but a low-effort troll.

A troll that is so sad irl that he posts personal information in a desperate, misguided attempt to have some human compassion thrown his way.

You're sad, corn, but I'm done trying to engage in anything having to do with you other than mockery.

How is me wishing you enjoy a book considered trolling?????

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

corn in the fridge posted:

How is me wishing you enjoy a book considered trolling?????

I was wondering the same.

Meatpimp what's your deal, man?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

88h88 posted:

I was wondering the same.

Meatpimp what's your deal, man?

For those that have trouble keeping up:

corn was looking down upon the movie choices of others last month, perhaps the month before. He was too high brow to lower himself to something so base as a movie. So, I challenged him to give us a list of books he would recommend to educate our unwashed think holes. I've read. A lot. I've watched movies. A lot. I don't look down on anyone's choice in education, edutainment or entertainment. I think people that look down on others choices mostly have sad lives. (Sorry Rhyno.)

Corn never responded to the book request, after multiple prompts from me and others.

Then, he makes the weak OP in this thread with a book recommendation, which could be good. I started reading the book. He kept making his one-line barbs without any effort or content. He challenged ME to see if I was reading the book he suggested. Since I was, I quoted the book at the point I was at (like page 37, not too far, but into it).

Instead of engaging, he accused me of "googling a random quote." The quote I used was not random and not google-able.

After I defended myself, I challenged him to contribute something other than snarky one liners, to which I got a snarky one-liner response.

As I said, I tried with him. I've been reading a book upon his suggestion, thinking that after all of this time, MAYBE he'll make a non-troll contribution. Nope, nothing but trolling and sad skin from corn. gently caress him.

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Jun 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

corn in the fridge
Jan 15, 2012

by Shine
Hey man, I really tried to give deadpool a chance, I really wanted it to be good. It's not my fault it was so bad!

• Locked thread