Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

WeaponGradeSadness posted:

This is the funniest thing I've ever read

quote:

ITALIAN BOY: My story is about my dead sister and how she died of cancer and her death was very sad. Poohoo.

ASIAN MAN: No offense, but I just do not find that interesting. There are too many screenplays about people’s family members and I find no reason to care if I do not know the person.

ITALIAN BOY: How-a could-a you-a say-a that-a?! I-a going-a to-a kill-a you-a!

PROFESSOR: This is unacceptable!

ASIAN MAN: I am allowed freedom of speech.

Hyper-specific racist straw men are the best straw men

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SerialKilldeer
Apr 25, 2014

He writes great female characters too!

quote:

WHITE GIRL: Friends and sex and parties and makeup!

Apparently Dragons Lexicon Triumvirate is Eng's idea of actually good writing. It really reads like he tried to cram as many "badass" creatures and pretentious science/philosophy references into the smallest possible space, without worrying about little things like coherence.

There's also a chapter-by-chapter review here: http://conjugalfelicity.com/dragons-lexicon-triumvirate/

Pick posted:

From the children's book Slugs.

I remember that from when I was a little kid! Scared the daylights out of me. I actually saw it just about a year ago, too, when my university library had a "banned books month" exhibit. Wonder why a book like that was banned...

FairyNuff
Jan 22, 2012

muscles like this? posted:

I was reading some short story collection years ago and got to a Poppy Z Brite one. One of the earliest lines was about using an oiled human femur for sex and I was like "That's enough of that!" and skipped to the next story.

Oh god, I read that same collection.

Although if you stopped at the femur part you read the dog oral part and weren't put off?

quote:

We explored the damp alien territory between the legs of any girl who would have us, sometimes separately, sometimes both of us in bed together with one girl or more. We bound their wrists and ankles with black lace, we lubricated and penetrated their every orifice, we shamed them with their own pleasures. I recall a mauve-haired beauty, Felicia, who was brought to wild sobbing orgasm by the rough tongue of a stray dog we trapped. We watched her from across the room, drug-hazed and unstirred.

E: It was "His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood".

FairyNuff has a new favorite as of 19:44 on May 3, 2016

Brass Key
Sep 15, 2007

Attention! Something tremendous has happened!

Geokinesis posted:

E: It was "His Mouth Will Taste of Wormwood".

Holy poo poo, I just had a flashback of reading this story at an unhealthily young age. I'm pretty sure it was part of a collection of short stories in my elementary school library. Some kind of horror anthology, maybe? I guess the librarians were like "I'm sure it's fine, kids love ghosts".

Thanks for making me remember that I guess :stonklol:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

SerialKilldeer posted:

I remember that from when I was a little kid! Scared the daylights out of me. I actually saw it just about a year ago, too, when my university library had a "banned books month" exhibit. Wonder why a book like that was banned...

Slugs still bothers me.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Just finished The Blood Gospel.

Lazarus is the first vampire and leader of the Vatican's vampire special forces and Judas is the leader of an evil organization trying to bring about the end of the world.

Can't wait for book 2.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
I haven't read The Transhumanist Wager by Zoltan Istvan, but I was delighted to see that even the other transhumanists thought it was poo poo and that Istvan was counterproductive.

Kay Kessler
May 9, 2013

divabot posted:

I haven't read The Transhumanist Wager by Zoltan Istvan, but I was delighted to see that even the other transhumanists thought it was poo poo and that Istvan was counterproductive.

This guy had a very strange (and successful) crowdfunding project. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAO9YrAXrJs

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I'm a big ELO fan (as you can tell by my avatar), so whenever anything new ELO-related comes out, I'm there.

Until this:

http://www.brianpaone.com/yours-truly-2095/

It reads like the worst fan fiction you can imagine. I applaud the attempt to novelize ELO's 1981 concept album Time, but this book has nothing going for it beyond the attempt.

Holy gently caress, it's awful. How the hell it got nominated for Hugo, I'll never understand.

I wish I had bought the physical version of the book so that I could set it on fire.

This novel did a much better job. The author admits he mistook A New World Record as a concept album about opera singers and aliens and doesn't beat the reader over the head with endless references to ELO songs/albums/lyrics/band members.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

Mister Kingdom posted:

Holy gently caress, it's awful. How the hell it got nominated for Hugo, I'll never understand.

There's some spectacularly dumb poo poo going on with the Hugo Awards this year involving MRAs or gamergate or something. I don't understand any of it because whenever someone tries to explain the situation to me, all the blood leaves my head and I black out.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
The short version is that a bunch of alt-right sorts (led by human shitstain Vox Day) got mad at the Hugos favouring stuff that dealt with what they felt to be minority issues instead of the grand adventure narratives of yesteryear, with spaceships and exploring the unknown and such (I believe they unironically used the word "swashbuckling", and decried the recent recipients as "Ivory Tower" ) because there is no room in Science Fiction for exploring new ideas or social commentary. They referred to these books as "Sad Puppies" due to their subject matter, and named their movement after it (with "Rapid Puppies" being the absolute dickhead splinter group); this lead to a bunch of weird stuff being nominated for a Hugo, including a Chuck Tingle book who proceeded to troll the ever-loving poo poo out of the whole movement, and, I poo poo you not, an episode of My Little Pony.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009
Some time ago, Ernest Kline diversified from Ready Player One to assure people that being able to recite cult movies from memory is not the only way to measure geek cred. Knowing geek "culture" is still important, though. Otherwise, how else could you uncover the Conspiracy? Galaga, Polybius, Battlezone, Star Wars, the Last Starfighter, that latest MMO you keep playing? You know, the one where you are one of the elite pilots topping the leaderboards? They're all part of the plot by Every Geek Icon Ever (including your not-dead dad) to prepare humanity to fight the incoming alien Armada. Despite all the naysayers, all those gaming sessions in the backroom of your millionaire friend's gaming shop were totally not useless. They were literally the most important thing you could have done with your time. They were grooming you to be the Hero.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Ugh, this bullshit too?

(And given that he's framing all these game references in the terms of cult '80s movie The Last Starfighter, he's "diversified" even less than you'd imagine.)

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Sham bam bamina! posted:

Ugh, this bullshit too?
How did you think dear old dad got recruited into the conspiracy?

Sham bam bamina! posted:

(And given that he's framing all these game references in the terms of cult '80s movie The Last Starfighter, he's "diversified" even less than you'd imagine.)
The difference here is that instead of being whisked away to fight in the real ship, everything's operated by remote. The ace pilots do get transferred to the base on the dark side of the Moon where they get everything they want for the ultimate LAN party. The rank and file? They play at home or even with their smartphones. And of course, Gaming Jesus knows not to activate the doomsday weapon in the end.

But yeah, in general the author seems to think that name-dropping or otherwise referencing geek culture somehow would make Armada better by association.

There was one scene that got a chuckle out of me, though. Gaming Jesus spots an enemy ship trying to enter the friendly base through one of the fighter launch tubes. He follows and almost manages to save the base before the enemy ship could self-destruct in the hangar. The kicker is that the tubes were protected by blast doors with friend-or-foe sensors. If he had not chosen to ignore orders, the first door would have stopped the enemy.

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment

hirvox posted:

Some time ago, Ernest Kline diversified from Ready Player One to assure people that being able to recite cult movies from memory is not the only way to measure geek cred. Knowing geek "culture" is still important, though. Otherwise, how else could you uncover the Conspiracy? Galaga, Polybius, Battlezone, Star Wars, the Last Starfighter, that latest MMO you keep playing? You know, the one where you are one of the elite pilots topping the leaderboards? They're all part of the plot by Every Geek Icon Ever (including your not-dead dad) to prepare humanity to fight the incoming alien Armada. Despite all the naysayers, all those gaming sessions in the backroom of your millionaire friend's gaming shop were totally not useless. They were literally the most important thing you could have done with your time. They were grooming you to be the Hero.

Just assume I posted that image of Mr. Kline sitting next to George R. Martin in a Deloran.

What an insufferable nerd.

hirvox
Sep 8, 2009

Klaus88 posted:

Just assume I posted that image of Mr. Kline sitting next to George R. Martin in a Deloran.
The jacket Kline is wearing features prominently in Armada. It's a holy relic, left behind from Dad to Gaming Jesus.

Edit:

Ernest Kline posted:

It was an old black baseeball jacket with leather sleeves, and it was completely covered, front and back, with embroidered patches, all somehow science fiction or videogame related, including several high-score-award patches for old Activision games like Starmaster, Dreadnaught Destroyer, Laser Blast and Kaboom! Running down both sleeves were logos and military insignia from the Rebel Alliance, the Star League, the United Federation of Planets, the Colonial Fleet from BSG, and the Robotech Defense Force, among others.

I studied each one in turn, running my fingertips over the embroidery. When I'd last tried this jacket on a few years ago, it had still been too big on me. But when I slipped it on now, it fit me perfectly, almost as if it had been tailor-made.

I found myself itching to wear it to school tomorrow - despite my earlier vow to stop living in the past and obsessing over the father I had never known.

hirvox has a new favorite as of 06:25 on May 19, 2016

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Mr. Chainsaw posted:

The worst book I've read is Exquisite Corpse. I bought it on a whim after someone I knew said it was their favorite. Not sure what I expected when the premise is "serial killer romance", but I put it down when I realized it wasn't going to be anything beyond fanfiction-tier gay erotica between edgy torture scenes. I thought about donating the book but I don't want to inflict it on anyone else honestly, so its still on my shelf.

The best Poppy Z. Brite book is when she made the Beatles gay and drew the pictures. It's essentially slashfic. She is not a bad writer, but I'm not a fan of the artwork.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plastic_Jesus_%28novella%29

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

The book is weird, but what the hell is up with that table?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Arivia posted:

The book is weird, but what the hell is up with that table?

i think its a chair with what looks like horse leather maybe. definitely some kind of animal skin

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
A while back I read a techno-thriller called Kill Decision. Basic plot is that a shadowy cabal is out to get America with drone attacks and by using stolen/rebuilt Predator drones to frame the US by blowing up mosques and stuff, Clancy meets Crichton's hand-wringing over technology essentially. So to stop them, a one-dimensional brooding special forces soldier named Odin (who has two trained ravens named Hugin and Munin, of course) has to rescue a one-dimensional scientist who researches swarm theory and basically exists to tell Odin and his team how to best shoot the science run amok.

IIRC everybody in Odin's team chooses to stay at the rank of Sergent, because apparently officers answer to the government but the enlisted answer to 'Murica. Odin and the scientist get it on after escaping a drone swarm, the ravens watch. I think the book just sort of ends after the characters stop a plot to destroy some US aircraft carriers with a cargo ship full of killer drones, and there's like two pages at the end where one of the cabal members gets blown up by a drone strike in Maryland or something.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Snapchat A Titty posted:

i think its a chair with what looks like horse leather maybe. definitely some kind of animal skin

Looks like a small metal table with chipped and rippled paint to me. Or are you going for shrimp/small pastry superstardom?

C.M. Kruger posted:

A while back I read a techno-thriller called Kill Decision. Basic plot is that a shadowy cabal is out to get America with drone attacks and by using stolen/rebuilt Predator drones to frame the US by blowing up mosques and stuff, Clancy meets Crichton's hand-wringing over technology essentially. So to stop them, a one-dimensional brooding special forces soldier named Odin (who has two trained ravens named Hugin and Munin, of course) has to rescue a one-dimensional scientist who researches swarm theory and basically exists to tell Odin and his team how to best shoot the science run amok.

IIRC everybody in Odin's team chooses to stay at the rank of Sergent, because apparently officers answer to the government but the enlisted answer to 'Murica. Odin and the scientist get it on after escaping a drone swarm, the ravens watch. I think the book just sort of ends after the characters stop a plot to destroy some US aircraft carriers with a cargo ship full of killer drones, and there's like two pages at the end where one of the cabal members gets blown up by a drone strike in Maryland or something.

Clancy meets Crichton sounds about right, swarm theory automatically makes me think of Prey

hackbunny has a new favorite as of 12:26 on Jun 1, 2016

shelley
Nov 8, 2010
Prey was such trash, but somehow it gave me existential terror as a child. I thought my mom was nanobots. I was a dumb child.

Speaking of Crichton, Timeline is poorly-researched dogshit. I mean, my requirements for thrillers are fairly low, but it's written like he slept through a showing of A Knight's Tale one time and thinks that's how medieval Europe really was.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I don't know if they're really bad, but they are certainly entertainingly batshit insane: The Ring trilogy, Ring, Spiral and Loop by Koji Suzuki, that the Horror movie Ringu was based on. Well it was based on the first book, it kinda ignored the other two. This is completely psychotic but I had so much fun reading it, I honestly recommend going in blind, but for the curious:

Ring reads innocently enough - horror novel about people who die after watching a haunted video tape. OK, much like the movie so far. Main character finds the bones, attempts to lay Sadako to rest and fails, just like the movie. However the first signs of oddity come at the end of this book - Sadako is a partial hermaphrodite as well as a vengeance ghost, and she was raped just before her death by a smallpox victim just before she dies - that was who put her in the well. So she projects her anger towards the videotape and kills whoever watches it unless they copy and show it - fine.

MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR THE BATSHIT TRILOGY AHOY!
However, then Spiral happens - new revelations:

Sadako is not only the fury at her own death, she has also joined with the smallpox virus, which is itself angry that modern medicine killed it by rendering it powerless. The reason for the videotape is revealed - she the reason everyone who watches the tape dies is because they get infected upon viewing by a variation of smallpox called the Ring Virus. Sadako is no longer thinking like Sadako - she only wants to reproduce, as that is all a virus wants to do. However the virus turns into two strains - the unbroken ring, which kills the victim if not copied, and the Broken Ring, which is compared to a sperm cell.

This comparison is important - anyone infected with this version is made to reproduce it another way - one of the main characters is a journalist with good writing skills - Sadako makes him, through the virus's influence, write a manuscript that describes the tape so intensely, impossibly accurately that anyone who reads it gets the same effect. However if a woman who watches the tape/reads the manuscript happens to be ovulating when they watch it Sadako basically impregnates them with her genetic information. Sadako, in this book, does this once. The secondary main character of the first book, Ryuji, is discovered dead by his assistant, who reads the manuscript while there. She later gives birth to Sadako, after Sadako takes over her mind and throws her down a shaft (she wants to be reborn in the same circumstances in which she died, to overcome the obstacle that killed her). After her birth, Sadako rapidly reaches the age at which she dies, but the main character of the second book fails to recognise her at first, because she looks slightly different. This is explained by the idea that noone, unless looking in a mirror, knows exactly what their own face looks like so some details are filled in by the brain in the minds eye - the face she ends up with is the face that she pictured herself with.

The book ends with the main character being confronted on the beach by Reborn Sadako and formerly deceased Ryuji - when reborn Sadako was born as a complete hermaphrodite so on top of everything else she can impregnate herself now. Ryuji is back because Sadako made a deal with him post-mortem - if he helped her she would help him return to the world of the living by taking his genetic information from his remains and literally birthing him anew. She makes the same offer to the main character - Allow her manuscript to be published and read by millions, while she also has a plan in the works to make her way into other media - she will make a videogame, movie, website, every type of media will spread her virus worldwide, allowing her to take over the world. He agrees as she offers to give him back his dead son in the same way Ryuji was reborn,

THINGS GET CRAZIER! STRAP IN!

In Loop it is hard to tell at first how it fits in - The main mystery is a simulation of the beginning of life that was created on a supercomputer to solve the problem of 'how we got here' - however the project failed as the life simulated became cancerous, all life, animal or vegetable became one type of organism and the simulation just stopped. Also a viral form of Cancer called the Metastating Human Cancer Virus started spreading with disastrous results. While searching for zones where the virus failed to take hold the main character learns the following:

The Simulation virus was caused by three virtual entities - Sadako Yamamura, Ryuji and the main character from the second book. The first two books only took place in a simulated reality. However, as Ryuji died, but before Sadako made her pact with him, he noticed that he was being watched by something 'outside' and called out for help to 'get out'. The head scientist at the time obliged, and found a way via absolute nonsense relating to genetics, and converting binary code to amino acids. Ryuji was reborn and grew up outside the sim- to become the main character of the third book. Ryuji vows to stop the cancer virus, wshich escaped because he was a carrier of the Ring virus, by stopping Sadako before his world can b destroyed utterly - so he is put back into the simulation, reversing the process only to be given birth to by - Sadako Yamamura - he has overwritten the version of himself that made the vow witrh Sadako, so now instead of helping her, he ends the series joining with the MC of the second book to stop her. The world may yet be saved.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

C.M. Kruger posted:

A true victory for the terrorists. They forced America to bomb its own soil. How humiliating.

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

shelley posted:

Prey was such trash, but somehow it gave me existential terror as a child. I thought my mom was nanobots. I was a dumb child.

It was just a rehash of Andromeda Strain IMO

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

shelley posted:

Speaking of Crichton, Timeline is poorly-researched dogshit. I mean, my requirements for thrillers are fairly low, but it's written like he slept through a showing of A Knight's Tale one time and thinks that's how medieval Europe really was.

Prey was awesome because it was about killer robots and at one point I think a Jeep was used as a makeshift firebomb.

Timeline is awful on about a million levels and doesn't even attempt some kind of internal consistency or coherence. It's all different universes instead of actual time travel but somehow everyone manages to pass notes through history, the scientists' machine is so outlandish and nonsensical that it is literally hand waved as "someone in another universe got this to work and is helping us teleport people even though we have no way of communicating with them", the fact that half the dialogue reads like something you'd overhear at the smelly D&D table down at the game store, ugh.

And Timeline was still better than Rising Sun.

tight aspirations
Jul 13, 2009

Ryoshi posted:

Prey was awesome because it was about killer robots and at one point I think a Jeep was used as a makeshift firebomb.

Timeline is awful on about a million levels and doesn't even attempt some kind of internal consistency or coherence. It's all different universes instead of actual time travel but somehow everyone manages to pass notes through history, the scientists' machine is so outlandish and nonsensical that it is literally hand waved as "someone in another universe got this to work and is helping us teleport people even though we have no way of communicating with them", the fact that half the dialogue reads like something you'd overhear at the smelly D&D table down at the game store, ugh.

And Timeline was still better than Rising Sun.

Rising Sun was the blah blah blah Japanese corporations taking over America, wasn't it? Still better than Airframe.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Where does Disclosure fit on the awful-Crighton scale?

Prenton
Feb 17, 2011

Ner nerr-nerrr ner
Wasn't Timeline's solution to the grandfather paradox "Um, but you wouldn't actually kill your grandfather, would you? You probably remember him fondly, I hope?"

I likes how the solution to the intriguing technical mystery of Airframe was DON'T TRUST THE CHINESE

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

C.M. Kruger posted:

If there was a bad fiction bingo card I feel like having characters named after Norse mythology would be a square. Its prevalence in right-wing military fiction is especially troubling considering how heavily it is co-opted by white supremacists...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BioEnchanted posted:

I don't know if they're really bad, but they are certainly entertainingly batshit insane: The Ring trilogy, Ring, Spiral and Loop by Koji Suzuki, that the Horror movie Ringu was based on. Well it was based on the first book, it kinda ignored the other two. This is completely psychotic but I had so much fun reading it, I honestly recommend going in blind, but for the curious:

Ring reads innocently enough - horror novel about people who die after watching a haunted video tape. OK, much like the movie so far. Main character finds the bones, attempts to lay Sadako to rest and fails, just like the movie. However the first signs of oddity come at the end of this book - Sadako is a partial hermaphrodite as well as a vengeance ghost, and she was raped just before her death by a smallpox victim just before she dies - that was who put her in the well. So she projects her anger towards the videotape and kills whoever watches it unless they copy and show it - fine.

MASSIVE SPOILERS FOR THE BATSHIT TRILOGY AHOY!
However, then Spiral happens - new revelations:

Sadako is not only the fury at her own death, she has also joined with the smallpox virus, which is itself angry that modern medicine killed it by rendering it powerless. The reason for the videotape is revealed - she the reason everyone who watches the tape dies is because they get infected upon viewing by a variation of smallpox called the Ring Virus. Sadako is no longer thinking like Sadako - she only wants to reproduce, as that is all a virus wants to do. However the virus turns into two strains - the unbroken ring, which kills the victim if not copied, and the Broken Ring, which is compared to a sperm cell.

This comparison is important - anyone infected with this version is made to reproduce it another way - one of the main characters is a journalist with good writing skills - Sadako makes him, through the virus's influence, write a manuscript that describes the tape so intensely, impossibly accurately that anyone who reads it gets the same effect. However if a woman who watches the tape/reads the manuscript happens to be ovulating when they watch it Sadako basically impregnates them with her genetic information. Sadako, in this book, does this once. The secondary main character of the first book, Ryuji, is discovered dead by his assistant, who reads the manuscript while there. She later gives birth to Sadako, after Sadako takes over her mind and throws her down a shaft (she wants to be reborn in the same circumstances in which she died, to overcome the obstacle that killed her). After her birth, Sadako rapidly reaches the age at which she dies, but the main character of the second book fails to recognise her at first, because she looks slightly different. This is explained by the idea that noone, unless looking in a mirror, knows exactly what their own face looks like so some details are filled in by the brain in the minds eye - the face she ends up with is the face that she pictured herself with.

The book ends with the main character being confronted on the beach by Reborn Sadako and formerly deceased Ryuji - when reborn Sadako was born as a complete hermaphrodite so on top of everything else she can impregnate herself now. Ryuji is back because Sadako made a deal with him post-mortem - if he helped her she would help him return to the world of the living by taking his genetic information from his remains and literally birthing him anew. She makes the same offer to the main character - Allow her manuscript to be published and read by millions, while she also has a plan in the works to make her way into other media - she will make a videogame, movie, website, every type of media will spread her virus worldwide, allowing her to take over the world. He agrees as she offers to give him back his dead son in the same way Ryuji was reborn,

THINGS GET CRAZIER! STRAP IN!

In Loop it is hard to tell at first how it fits in - The main mystery is a simulation of the beginning of life that was created on a supercomputer to solve the problem of 'how we got here' - however the project failed as the life simulated became cancerous, all life, animal or vegetable became one type of organism and the simulation just stopped. Also a viral form of Cancer called the Metastating Human Cancer Virus started spreading with disastrous results. While searching for zones where the virus failed to take hold the main character learns the following:

The Simulation virus was caused by three virtual entities - Sadako Yamamura, Ryuji and the main character from the second book. The first two books only took place in a simulated reality. However, as Ryuji died, but before Sadako made her pact with him, he noticed that he was being watched by something 'outside' and called out for help to 'get out'. The head scientist at the time obliged, and found a way via absolute nonsense relating to genetics, and converting binary code to amino acids. Ryuji was reborn and grew up outside the sim- to become the main character of the third book. Ryuji vows to stop the cancer virus, wshich escaped because he was a carrier of the Ring virus, by stopping Sadako before his world can b destroyed utterly - so he is put back into the simulation, reversing the process only to be given birth to by - Sadako Yamamura - he has overwritten the version of himself that made the vow witrh Sadako, so now instead of helping her, he ends the series joining with the MC of the second book to stop her. The world may yet be saved.

I love every single thing about this without reservation.

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

BioEnchanted posted:

I don't know if they're really bad, but they are certainly entertainingly batshit insane: The Ring trilogy

Did Hideo Kojima write this or something? I half expect the series to have ended with a mysterious call to the President about nanomachines.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I just like that the terrible weird dreamcast game that came out that shared the title was accurate - but to the books, not the movies :P

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Guy Mann posted:

If there was a bad fiction bingo card I feel like having characters named after Norse mythology would be a square. Its prevalence in right-wing military fiction is especially troubling considering how heavily it is co-opted by white supremacists...

Afrikaner names are a similar dog whistle IMO.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

BioEnchanted posted:

I knew about how dumb the Ring books were but lol I had no idea about Loop. Those books sound rad as hell

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
I had fun reading through this thread, and it got me to pick through the shelves for the terrible books I haven't discarded yet. Turned up a depressing number, even trying to skip over licensed material, but here's a couple of starters. Also, it's been about a decade since reading some of these, so if anybody recognizes something and has more details to share, please chime in.

Mythology 101, by Jody Lynn Nye.

Jody Lynn Nye, who as her Amazon bio for this book describes, "is best known as a collaborator with other notable authors" including Anne McCaffrey, Robert Asprin (author of the Myth Adventures books mentioned earlier in the thread) and Piers Anthony, wrote this very light novel with the following jacket synopsis:

Mythology 101 posted:

Meet Keith Doyle—weirdo, business major, nerd, believer in myths. To his joy—and horror—Keith has just learned a legend is real...
THERE ARE ELVES IN THE UNIVERSITY LIBRARY
a secret village of pointy-eared, magical little leprechauns who help students pass killer courses. And Marcy, the girl of Keith's dreams, is in contact with them.
BUT THE LIBRARY IS ABOUT TO BE TORN DOWN
thanks to a modernization campaign led by Keith himself. The students hate him. Marcy hates him. The elves' home will be destroyed.
Keith and the leprechauns need each other. For the only thing that can save Keith's social life is elfin magic. And the only thing that can save the elves is the magic of...
Free enterprise.
A few excerpts from the book.

Mythology 101 posted:

"Hmmhmmhmmhmmhahahahaha ..." laughed Borget in as sinister a tone as he could manage.

Mythology 101 posted:

On the benches around the wooden meeting table, the Folk shifted to position themselves comfortably. It wasn't often the whole Council attended a village meeting, so though the benches were long, the regulars had to suck in their sides to make room for their more erstwhile companions. It was a sign of the seriousness of the situation that there was no banter, no friendly arguments between the young Progressives and the older Conservatives.

Mythology 101 posted:

"Mr Doyle?" inquired Dr. Freleng, holding a thesis paper in the air with disgusted thumb and forefinger. The teacher's grey mustache lifted on one side as his lip curled. "This is Sociology 430. Don't you think this paper should better have been submitted to your fiction writing teacher instead?"
"Well, I'm not taking that course this semester," stammered Keith Doyle, scrambling to sit upright from his comfortable slouch behind Mary Lou Carson, the fattest girl in class.

Mythology 101 posted:

"See," crowed Carl, breaking the silence. "He didn't deny it. For the sole purpose of bugging me, he threat—"
Tears were overflowing Marcy's eyes. "Shut up, Carl."
He whirled on her, angrily. "Hey, he's been a pain in the butt as long as I can . . ."
"I said, shut up," Marcy blurted, sniffing. "I don't want to hear it. I don't want to hear anything you have to say. Big hero. We're through. You can leave me alone from now on."
"Marcy!" Carl looked astonished, then angry.
"Didna you hear what the lady said?" Enoch hissed, springing up and glaring into Carl's face. "Leave her alone."
"Back off, shorty," Carl snapped. "I'll say whatever I feel like." His face went red and his hands tightened into fists. The slightly built elf stood up to him.
"Did you mother teach you no manners, Carl Mueller?" Enoch sneered.

Mythology 101 posted:

"It started the day you got thrown out of class. Maybe a lot sooner, I don't know. Carl said something insulting to me. I really hate him. He's got such an ego. Enoch jumped on him for it. I think he would've hit him if Carl hadn't backed off. Carl was really surprised. I was, too. He's been . . . protective of me, lately. Enoch, not Carl." She was having to fight to get the words out. "I . . . I feel, I don't know . . ."
". . . Like you've got something going for him?" Keith finished, a little light going on in his mind. "That's why you've been sort of backing off on me?"
Marcy nodded, miserably.
"Great!" Keith exclaimed.
"But I feel like I'm cradle-robbing, or something."
Keith's eyes went wide. "What? Is this the author of the Marcy Collier paper on the sociological stresses of racial dwarfism? The person who stood up to Dr. Freleng when he suggested that there wasn't enough statistical evidence to make a sociological premise out of it? You are treating short people like children." He pointed a finger toward her nose. "You're doing it. Enoch is forty-six years old. He told me so himself! If anything, you're a little young for him. He's cradle-robbing."
Marcy's mouth fell open. Her tongue felt dry, and she swallowed. "He is?"
With chapters that last three pages, fourth-year college students who think and speak like high school sophomores, plot points about income tax, shake-downs by the local union, and action-packed scenes of studying for exams, I was shocked to learn while checking Amazon that this expanded to a four-book series.

Honorable mention goes to The Book of Words, Volume I: The Baker's Boy, by J.V. Jones.

Back-side synopsis:

The Baker's Boy posted:

A thrilling new voice in fantasy adventure introduces THE BOOK OF WORDS, where the lethal conspiracies and deadly intrigues of the mighty can be countered by only one power: magic.

THE BAKER'S BOY
At vast Castle Harvell, where King Lesketh lies dying, two fates collide. In her regal suite, young Melliandra, the daughter of an influential lord, rebels against her forced betrothal to the sinister Prince Kylock. In the kitchens, an apprentice named Jack is terrified by his sudden, uncontrolled power to work miracles. Together they flee the castle, stalked by a sorcerer who has connived for decades to control the crown, even committing supernatural murder to advance his schemes.
And a young knight begins a quest, leaving behind his home and family to seek out the treacherous Isle of Larn, where lies a clue to his desperate search for the truth.
Here a wondrous epic of darkness and beauty begins...
Sounds like an OK fantasy novel, though kind of bland. But it's probably the shortest time I've spent reading a book that I actually started, thanks to the first scene, which is of a man (presumably the evil sorcerer) raping the drugged queen in her sleep.

The Baker's Boy posted:

His attention returned to his task. He was nervous at first, but there was not a flicker from the queen, so he continued on more forcefully. He knew the quickening of desire and was surprised by its familiarity. As his excitement grew so did his abandon, and he pushed into her with all his strength. He had not expected to enjoy it and was surprised when he did. Eventually he reached his climax and his seed flowed deep within the queen.
As he withdrew from her, a trickle of blood escaped from the queen and ran lazily down her inner thigh; maybe he had been a little rough, but no matter. For the second time that evening he drew bloodied fingers up to his lips. He was not surprised to find the queen's blood tasted different: sweeter, richer.
Last paragraph of page five and the first of page six, halfway through the prologue. It has a 3.5/5 average on Amazon, and the front has "THE #1 NATIONAL FANTASY BESTSELLER!" right at the top, so maybe it gets better, but that was a pretty effective roadblock for me.

Darthemed has a new favorite as of 22:58 on Jun 9, 2016

Mildly Amusing
May 2, 2012

room temperature

Darthemed posted:

Jody Lynn Nye, who as her Amazon bio for this book describes, "is best known as a collaborator with other notable authors" including Anne McCaffrey, Robert Asprin (author of the Myth Adventures books mentioned earlier in the thread) and Piers Anthony, wrote this very light novel with the following jacket synopsis:

quote:

And the only thing that can save the elves is the magic of free enterprise.

If this thread ever gets a vanity title it should be this quote. Good hell, it reads like an accountant wrote it.

spite house
Apr 28, 2009

Darthemed posted:

I want to smack this author in the teeth with a printout of the Turkey City Lexicon.

things not to do, according to the TCL posted:

“Said” Bookism

An artificial verb used to avoid the word “said.” “Said” is one of the few invisible words in the English language and is almost impossible to overuse. It is much less distracting than “he retorted,” “she inquired,” “he ejaculated,” and other oddities. The term “said-book” comes from certain pamphlets, containing hundreds of purple-prose synonyms for the word “said,” which were sold to aspiring authors from tiny ads in American magazines of the pre-WWII era.

I mean, the whole thing sounds comprehensively dreadful, but that tic is just the worst.

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Darthemed posted:

After reading those excerpts, I found myself wondering who the hell her target audience was. It reads like a book for 6th-graders. Was she hoping to ride the Harry Potter gravy train?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Mildly Amusing posted:

If this thread ever gets a vanity title it should be this quote. Good hell, it reads like an accountant wrote it.

As an accountant and an author I take offense. I managed to make my book stupid without discussing elven economics, thank you very much.