Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

FAUXTON posted:

I thought most of what credit she claimed regarding Iran was the imposition of sanctions. Granted, I don't think she's going to be blowing up the JPOA on January 21 but "I negotiated sanctions" isn't the same as supporting the nuke deal.

Everything I've read states, more or less, that she supported the nuke deal but was also taking countermeasures in the event that it fell through. There was a brief fracas as people misinterpreted that to mean she was secretly sabotaging the deal behind the Executive's back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Jarmak posted:

What the gently caress does female body armor even mean? Nothing about wearing body armor is form fitting.

It ought to fit tightly enough to not slide around, though, and if you're talking about bodies that are generally smaller, narrower-waisted, and with big ol' boobs on the front, then I can imagine it would require a redesign to make it fit in a functional manner.

This exact issue with women's workware won somebody a bunch of money on Dragon's Den recently. Maybe they'll expand their product line!

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax
Body armor manufacturers and police unions are already on that, for the record. It's not a new problem and female body armor exists.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

What a long strange trip it's been. It's kind of wild how he was President.

The funniest part to me is how his mistakes were always portrayed as 'folksy' by the right because he occasionally disposed of some mesquite limbs on Crawford Ranch during photo ops--then he promptly sold the ranch and moved to a ritzy suburban gated community after that image was no longer needed.

And how his lengthy vacations at the ranch were always justified because 'he's ranchin' unlike that candy rear end nig...um, democrat Obama' :clint:

Such a loving shill.

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I really can't wait for the Bush administration tell-all in a few decades. I want to know who his puppet master was. (It was Dick)

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

botany posted:

Body armor manufacturers and police unions are already on that, for the record. It's not a new problem and female body armor exists.

Yeah, I'm not going to believe that Hillary's outfits are definitely boxy due to poor female body armor without a bit more evidence, it's just speculation.

Furthermore, who cares

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I think there is no overlap between people who spin elaborate theories about why Hillary has to wear boxy suit jackets and people who know how to fit body armor.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I'm a proud nothing-about-body-armor knower.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

showbiz_liz posted:

I have been trying and trying to imagine what these debates will be like and my mind just refuses to process it. Like I can't get any further than imagining them standing at the podiums and then my brain just shuts down.

My personal fear is that Trump is going to "win", in the sense of going for easy applause lines and misogynistic low blows, constantly interrupting so that Hillary can't get a word out, and generally just waving his dick around the stage like an alpha baboon making a mating display.

I have very little faith in the electorate.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

My personal fear is that Trump is going to "win", in the sense of going for easy applause lines and misogynistic low blows, constantly interrupting so that Hillary can't get a word out, and generally just waving his dick around the stage like an alpha baboon making a mating display.

Hillary won't take that poo poo. Think of all the republican cowards in the debates, afraid to stand up to Trump until it's too late. Whereas Hillary has been shadow boxing for months just waiting to light into trump. She probably has zingers ready for when he tries to interrupt. I will admit I'm a little worried that she'll play them up in a way that sounds contrived, but even so they will be devastating.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

I learn about modern body armor from video games and if R6: Siege has taught me anything it's that Clinton already has the most fashionable women's body armor because it is missing 30 pouches and doesn't cover 80% of the face or make her look like a teletubby.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
I want to see Hillary walk out on the debate stage in an ICTV and armed to the teeth.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Keep in mind two things: that idiocy make his uphill climb to capture the female vote even harder, and whoever the media says wins is by and large meaningless.

Also, there are three debates and Clinton is competent enough to adjust tactics (like Obama did) even if the first debate goes poorly.

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

MariusLecter posted:

I want to see Hillary walk out on the debate stage in an ICTV and armed to the teeth.

I want to see the NRA types suffer the cognitive dissonance of hating Hillary but loving her open carry :greencube:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

withak posted:

Perhaps some kind of force-field solution might be better?

edit:

To be fair many Republicans think her name is a killing word.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

quote:

Speaker Ryan on Wednesday behind closed doors told Republican House members he will restrict the amendment process, effectively thwarting one of the few avenues Democrats have to advance their legislation, given the vast majority of the House is Republican, and bipartisanship is rare in today's toxic environment.

Ryan "is cracking down on Democrats' ability to win floor votes on hotly contested issues such as LGBT rights," the Associated Press reports late Wednesday morning. "The move means Ryan is reneging on a promise to protect the rights of lawmakers to take on a wide range of issue when the House debates annual spending bills."

Politico adds that an unnamed House aide "said Ryan is hearing that members 'want the Rules Committee to make sure we can govern as a majority and not allow Democrats to use the amendment process to take down the bills and derail the House’s work. It's clear Democrats will continue to offer contentious amendments, but then not support bills on final passage.'"

http://www.thenewcivilrightsmovement.com/davidbadash/paul_ryan_changing_rules_to_make_amendments_from_house_democrats_harder_to_pass

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

this rules

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

Joementum posted:

Aaron Schock showed up for the Modi speech in Congress today, presumably hoping to get tips on how to redesign his new office in a British Raj motif.

Is he still allowed in Congress? I thought he got run out of town.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Any pushback on "independent contractors" is great. Good for them.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

UFOTofuTacoCat posted:

There was the thing with George W. Bush when he debated John Kerry in 2004.
Obviously the bulge was a secret earpiece system that allowed Karl Rove to feed Bush answers through on live television.

Watching Bush's mannerisms that night sure didn't help squash this idea.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
They are occasionally playing FDR speeches while they do this. :patriot:

https://twitter.com/ClickHole/status/740593789564129280

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

Turnabout is fair play.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
I have pretty much no expectation that a Hillary administration will keep the Iran deal against the wishes of Israel. She may not actually invade Iran(which is what Israel probably really wants), but she is most likely going to toe the line with Bibi's demands as much as possible.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Radish posted:

Any pushback on "independent contractors" is great. Good for them.

Yeah the first thing I thought was "uhoh Uber."

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Combed Thunderclap posted:

I want to see the NRA types suffer the cognitive dissonance of hating Hillary but loving her open carry :greencube:

It won't be an adjustment. They already hate minorities who open carry and it causes them no trouble.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Now if they can just get unionized!

fade5
May 31, 2012

by exmarx

Dexo posted:

People over exaggerate Hillary's aggressiveness, and warhawkishness

She's probably one of the more aggressive Dems but she's nowhere near as bad as people make her out to be.

Le Saboteur posted:

Its either that or people understate Obama's hawkishness. I can't see her being much more hawkish on the world stage than he was.
I think it's a little bit of both, but people definitely underestimate how hawkish/interventionist Obama is. I'm not even talk about "drones"; under Obama's presidency we've set up an airbase in Syrian territory that we're running our special ops out of. Hillary doing something like that would be considered hawkish as hell, but the world has largely given a collective "eh" when Obama did it. (It helps that all the countries not currently involved in Syria are trying to stay as far away from Syria as they can, and that we're helping a group that has very good PR in a lot of places, aka "the Kurds".)

So in this case Hillary's probably just going to continue what Obama started, because Obama already did the "hawkish" part of establishing the base with rather flimsy international legality.

fade5 fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Jun 8, 2016

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Khisanth Magus posted:

I have pretty much no expectation that a Hillary administration will keep the Iran deal against the wishes of Israel. She may not actually invade Iran(which is what Israel probably really wants), but she is most likely going to toe the line with Bibi's demands as much as possible.

If she did that without strong evidence of Iran violating the terms of the deal, there would be a lot of backlash. It has fairly broad (though not universal) support in the party.

MariusLecter posted:

gently caress it, she can walk out dressed like the emperor of humans from that thing nerds like for all I care.

e: though that really feels more like somethign Trump would do

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
Broken record repeat/reminder: Texas elected a woman dem because a sexist shithell acted like a sexist shitheel.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

Barbe Rouge posted:

Thanks. I checked the 270towin site, but didn't know where to set the +/- 5% settings.
Looking through wikipedia, that would be the biggest Dem win since LBJ. I don't know how the hell the Republicans managed to get those huge Nixon/Reagan wins, that kind of thing seems impossible today.

I still don't know how to do that without looking up the 2012 results myself and manually flipping states. Is it even a feature they have?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I can't wait to see how trump manages to outdo legitimate rape

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

"I will legalize incest so I can finally gently caress my daughter."

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

Also he already called a pedo a "great guy who I hung out with and sure he liked his girls a little on the young side" and nothing happened

Crows Turn Off
Jan 7, 2008

Arrgytehpirate posted:

"I will legalize incest so I can finally gently caress my daughter."
As if they haven't already.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
We need more comfortable body armor so women can have an equal opportunity to serve as the brutalizing fist of the state.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Harik posted:

I still don't know how to do that without looking up the 2012 results myself and manually flipping states. Is it even a feature they have?

There's some site that allows you to toggle turnout and R/D by demographic, but I don't recall what it is. It was pretty neat to play with though.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

PhazonLink posted:

Broken record repeat/reminder: Texas elected a woman dem because a sexist shithell acted like a sexist shitheel.

Well that was before the great Texas R/D realignment. The Texas Senate was majority D until 2001.

I'm not saying Ann wouldn't be a modern Democrat, she's kind of the prototype of the idealized democratic woman, but R vs D wasn't as clear back then.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
https://twitter.com/BuzzFeedAndrew/status/740608330859749378

quote:

"So let's say, Chris Kyle, the American Sniper, is still alive and he is on trial for something..."

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Shageletic posted:

I've seen Clinton Initiative folk work in Africa first-hand, and even though they are kinda known as being green and a little high-handed compared to orgs like VSO or Save the Children, they do a lot of good work and bring some real money to communities that need it.

So.....this is just bizaare to read.

It's even more bizarre when you've looked at their tax filings and seen that most of the executive board gets $0 in salary.

It really blows the narrative of charity-as-sinecure out of the water when the kid you have working there donates a couple hundred grand a year( Chelsea gets about 50k a speech and donates it to the foundation ) and gets no salary at all.

The problem comes down to narratives. We have all sorts of negative stories about powerful women and you can easily prompt people to cast Hillary as a villain by attributing some element of a story to her.

People are loving shocked to see the column of $0 salaries because it is the exact opposite of what the story of the corrupt charity has trained them to expect.

I'm phone posting over lunch but I'll try to do an unwinding of all the bullshit narratives in that "but I don't trust her" post tonight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xeBK1P00Nbw&t=412s

:drat: that line at the end

• Locked thread