Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThaumPenguin posted:

- whole lot of swords -

Wow, that's a huge list. Thanks! I'll be sure to look into all of them.

I agree that some of the Ebony stuff is very pretty, but there's just something about Skyrim that makes me want good old steel, leather and fur. :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Immersive Weapons as well as Immersive Armors are good mods. Even if you only use the weapons/armor with good or high stats, they'll still add some top tier items to make for more variety. Besides, the tantos, katanas, bows, and pretty much all of the armors look drat nice.

If you haven't already, you could also raise some armor/weapon stats through the perks from SPERG and make lower tier items more competitive through that. Heck, perhaps the alchemy perk that improves leather/fur is a bit too good, I only switched away from leather/fur late-game when I got tired of wearing the same stuff. There's also a +25% steel/iron armor perk, +25% elven/dwarven armor, and a +30% iron/steel/orcish weapon damage perk. Might not be enough to put it on the same level as daedric, but at least good enough so you don't get Oblivion flashbacks from whaling away at enemies for half an hour.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Isilmeriel's LOTR weapons is also nice for a semi-fantasy look without being over the top. It adds a stupid crafting forge to the seven thousand steps that you have to use to craft them (if you know your way around TES5Edit, you can remove the restrictions and the forge). Mellenia did a retexture of some of Isilmeriel's weapons.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Wow, that's a huge list. Thanks! I'll be sure to look into all of them.

I agree that some of the Ebony stuff is very pretty, but there's just something about Skyrim that makes me want good old steel, leather and fur. :3:

I agree completely. For me, wearing finery while traversing Skyrim just doesn't feel right.

Which is why you might want to check out Brigandage, which adds a whole bunch of new armors that I think you might like!

There's also Common Clothes, by the same guy.

--

Oh and there's the Aesir Armor, which is a highly customizable armor set that fits right in with Skyrim's aesthetic.

Haven't tried it myself yet, but it seems really impressive!

ThaumPenguin fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 8, 2016

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
What's all that crap covering you character's dick and boobs?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Alasyre posted:

What's all that crap covering you character's dick and boobs?

Very powerful illusion spells.

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

As anyone who has used SUM in the last couple years should know its broken. I had a helpful person submit some fixes and I think I finally got around to making it play nice with LOOT (for real) but I hardly actually touch skyrim anymore so testing it is a pain. I could use a few people to test it. Anyone with a few skyproc patchers in their mod setup willing to help me? It shouldn't be anything hard, just trying the .jar and telling me if I broke something dumb again.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

ThaumPenguin posted:

I agree completely. For me, wearing finery while traversing Skyrim just doesn't feel right.

Which is why you might want to check out Brigandage, which adds a whole bunch of new armors that I think you might like!

There's also Common Clothes, by the same guy.

--

Oh and there's the Aesir Armor, which is a highly customizable armor set that fits right in with Skyrim's aesthetic.

Haven't tried it myself yet, but it seems really impressive!

I love it!

I remember something about mods adding leveled loot causing trouble with each other and needing patching (merging?), is that still a thing and if so what's the easiest way?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Another quick question; Is there a mod/is it possible to have your normal eyes as a vampire? I've looked around and I found nothing :sigh:

I just discovered Predator Vision and I'm already a huge fan, and I figure the downsides of being a vampire makes up for how powerful the mod is... but I spent too long in the character creator to have giant glowing orbs on my face. Being useless in sunlight and having to constantly feed are things I can live with, but don't ruin my character damnit. I feel like it would be such a simple mod, just replacing the crazy glowing vampire eyes with the normal eyes I picked when creating my character.

I'm not using any character-modifying mods, it's all vanilla.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Your Computer posted:

Another quick question; Is there a mod/is it possible to have your normal eyes as a vampire? I've looked around and I found nothing :sigh:

why would you care what your characters eyes look like?

waifu trap sprung

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
lol if you're not playing a male Nord named Prisoner.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Isn't that just a texture swap anyway? Or am I missing the depth of character eyes?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

KakerMix posted:

Isn't that just a texture swap anyway? Or am I missing the depth of character eyes?

I would assume so (unless the glow is caused by some effect), but I have 0 modding experience and don't really know how to do texture swaps.

Mortimer posted:

why would you care what your characters eyes look like?

waifu trap sprung

You underestimate how big of a character creator dork I am. I didn't spend that long creating my character just to end up looking like an edgy anime, the glowy eyes are awful and look really bad with a rugged leather&steel aesthetic.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

KakerMix posted:

How DMCAs work is like this:

:words:

Thanks for this post. It was interesting and I appreciate seeing how it works laid out like that.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

If I remember correctly, you can just use RaceMenu to change your eyes to whatever you want them to be. As long as you don't actually change your race with racemenu everything should work fine with that console command. I'm not sure whether, without that mod, the console command also works properly and let's you change vamp eyes to normal eyes though.

Edit: That mod page seems to take for granted that people know how to use console commands. Open the console with your tilde key, ` or ~ or whatever weird jumble you have there, the thing left of your 1 button. For some reason the first letter I type once I'm in the console always gets ignored. The console command for the racemenu is showracemenu.

Fleve fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jun 9, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Fleve posted:

If I remember correctly, you can just use RaceMenu to change your eyes to whatever you want them to be. As long as you don't actually change your race with racemenu everything should work fine with that console command. I'm not sure whether, without that mod, the console command also works properly and let's you change vamp eyes to normal eyes though.

Edit: That mod page seems to take for granted that people know how to use console commands. Open the console with your tilde key, ` or ~ or whatever weird jumble you have there, the thing left of your 1 button. For some reason the first letter I type once I'm in the console always gets ignored. The console command for the racemenu is showracemenu.

Thanks, but unfortunately it doesn't work :( I think Vampires might count as a separate race, and it seems they only get 1 eye color to choose from. At least this mod seems really interesting regardless! I had avoided it earlier because of the images, filing it away as one of "those" mods but I guess it's just an expanded character creator.

I might just give up on this thing then. I mean, I could start a new character as a Khajiit and get it that way but.. I wanted to be a huge scary viking not a cat.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010
I got back into this game after discovering Requiem, really makes it feel like a whole other game way more than a perk overhaul. Question though - does anyone know of any mod that changes the way 2h weapons are placed on the back? I'm running around with a battleaxe clipping into my kidney 24/7. Seems like there's plenty of options for one handed weapons but nothing at all for two handed.

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

Your Computer posted:

Thanks, but unfortunately it doesn't work :( I think Vampires might count as a separate race, and it seems they only get 1 eye color to choose from. At least this mod seems really interesting regardless! I had avoided it earlier because of the images, filing it away as one of "those" mods but I guess it's just an expanded character creator.

I might just give up on this thing then. I mean, I could start a new character as a Khajiit and get it that way but.. I wanted to be a huge scary viking not a cat.

The obvious solution to any Skyrim problem is more mods. You could try Better Vampire Fangs and Eyes, which has a non-glowing eye option that doesn't seem to look too bad.

Switching back to normal eyes seems to be more complicated than I thought. Apparently when you become a vamp the game switches to textures\actors\character\eyes\eyevampire_01.dds for eye textures and doesn't allow anything else (that's for the Dawnguard Vampire lords, the non-Dawnguard vamp version seems to use different eye textures again). Which means you could download some eye texture mods, pick one you like, rename it eyevampire_01.dds and use it to replace the original, but it seems there might still be a problem with some glow remaining.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
I'm sure this has been asked numerous times but it's not in the OP. I've just reinstalled, started a new game and already download & installed a bunch of mods with Nexus Mod Manager. Now I see the common advice is to use Mod Organiser.

• Should I scrap what I have and start again with Mod Organiser?
  • Can I move mods over with Mod Organiser?
  • Can I use Mod Organiser to download from the nexus site?

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Good name/post combo.
  • Yes, especially if you're running a lot of mods that conflict. It has it's own internal tutorial if you've never used it, and I think STEP has an in-depth tutorial, also.
  • Yes, but it's best to just install them again with MO. There's an option to migrate NMM mods over to MO, but I've never used it an don't know how reliable it is.
  • Yes.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Cool, thanks. I haven't even got to Whiterun in my new playthrough so I don't mind starting over.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I still don't understand what Mod Organizer does that's different from the Nexus Mod Manager :( Anyone care to explain it in more words than just "it's better"?

Followup on previous post:
Holy poo poo, this thing even has a built in sculpting tool. As someone who's into 3D modelling my mind is blown, and as someone who already spends way too much time with character creators... welp. Guess I'll start my playthrough in, oh, about a week.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
I haven't used NMM in forever so I don't know what features have been added to it, but MO allows you to modify installation order at will (and even lets you install mods around each other, which is rarely useful but still cool), doesn't clog up your Data directory, has LOOT integrated (including LOOT report flags), has a function similar to LOOT but for installation order, and has a warning system for when you've screwed up (missing masters, bad installation order. These are just off the top of my head and I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Your Computer posted:

I still don't understand what Mod Organizer does that's different from the Nexus Mod Manager :( Anyone care to explain it in more words than just "it's better"?

with NMM you install mods on top of each other, if they have textures that replace other ones you overwrite them. Uninstalling can also be a pain because all of your mods are in one big folder combined.

MO, in addition to having all those nice integrated features like LOOT, keeps every mod in its own folder. Then in addition to setting esp load order you set mod folder load order, and the conflicting textures that are loaded last are the ones that are used. This also means scripts, SKSE plugins, and mod ini's are kept completely separate from each other. Uninstallation is literally clicking a box.

You can also have mod setup profiles, so you can have one set to vanilla, then click a tab and have your fully modded game, then click another tab and suddenly be running a different mix of mods.

MO is great

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Mortimer posted:

with NMM you install mods on top of each other, if they have textures that replace other ones you overwrite them. Uninstalling can also be a pain because all of your mods are in one big folder combined.

MO, in addition to having all those nice integrated features like LOOT, keeps every mod in its own folder. Then in addition to setting esp load order you set mod folder load order, and the conflicting textures that are loaded last are the ones that are used. This also means scripts, SKSE plugins, and mod ini's are kept completely separate from each other. Uninstallation is literally clicking a box.

You can also have mod setup profiles, so you can have one set to vanilla, then click a tab and have your fully modded game, then click another tab and suddenly be running a different mix of mods.

MO is great

As far as I can see, NMM does all of these things though. :confused: It installs stuff in a separate "virtual installation" folder, it has auto sorting, keeps mods in separate folders in the virtual install directory, keeps track of overwrites and installing and uninstalling mods is just clicking a button. It also has profiles and other stuff.

I guess maybe the difference was bigger before? I tried MO some time ago but it wouldn't work at all so I ended up using the NMM instead. I know it's been updated since but, y'know, :effort:

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
The newer versions of NMM have the same directory virtualization that was MO's major innovation, so people who switched ages ago and never looked back might not know that.

Alasyre
Apr 6, 2009
Too bad no one gets points for doing things first, I suppose. I remember hating NMM's UI but I'm sure that's changed since they went to virtualization.

MO lets you load .bsa files directly, instead of .esp files that exist only to load .bsa files. This has saved me five or six .esp slots. Not a game changer, but I forgot to mention it.

Edit: By the look of it, NMM doesn't seem to support changing installation order. Am I missing something? That alone would make MO worth it, in addition to being able to see the virtualized data folder. I will say that this is a vast improvement over the older version, so I can see why the MO old guard might sound a bit crazy.

Oh poo poo mod manager chat nooooooo

Alasyre fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 10, 2016

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Your Computer posted:

As far as I can see, NMM does all of these things though.
Mod Organizer was the first to do that. And seeing as those features are really useful, a lot of users started using MO and never transitioned back to NMM (if they ever used at all) when NMM copied some of MO's features.

Also I think it's important to remember that Mod Organizer is maintained by someone who seems to be a competent programmer.
NMM's people on the other hand have in the past managed to push out an update that had NMM engage in an DDoS attack on their own website. And then did that again a year later.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Alasyre posted:

Too bad no one gets points for doing things first, I suppose. I remember hating NMM's UI but I'm sure that's changed since they went to virtualization.

MO lets you load .bsa files directly, instead of .esp files that exist only to load .bsa files. This has saved me five or six .esp slots. Not a game changer, but I forgot to mention it.

Edit: By the look of it, NMM doesn't seem to support changing installation order. Am I missing something? That alone would make MO worth it, in addition to being able to see the virtualized data folder. I will say that this is a vast improvement over the older version, so I can see why the MO old guard might sound a bit crazy.

Oh poo poo mod manager chat nooooooo

I don't know anything more than vaguely "does the virtual install thing" and I don't plan to switch back, so MO might still be better.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Raygereio posted:

Also I think it's important to remember that Mod Organizer is maintained by someone who seems to be a competent programmer.
NMM's people on the other hand have in the past managed to push out an update that had NMM engage in an DDoS attack on their own website. And then did that again a year later.

That's pretty hilarious. Again, I switched to NMM because MO wouldn't work but I definitely appreciate both the fact that they did it first and that it's maintained by non-idiots. The next time I flatten and reinstall I'll give MO another try.

Propagandist
Oct 23, 2007

A Magical Lamp posted:

Question though - does anyone know of any mod that changes the way 2h weapons are placed on the back? I'm running around with a battleaxe clipping into my kidney 24/7. Seems like there's plenty of options for one handed weapons but nothing at all for two handed.

Use XPMSE with FNIS. You'll also need SKSE, Realistic Ragdolls and Force, and Racemenu. This will let you place weapons on several positions on your body. You can switch from having sword on your hip to having it on your back. You can even put daggers on your thigh or lower back instead of on your hip, too.

The reason I bring this up, is because you can open up the console, type "showracemenu", and navigate to the Weapons tab, and tweak weapon positions on your body by very small amounts. This is in addition to the weapon positioning ability above.

I used this with Equipping Overhaul to show multiple weapons on the player's body (instead of just the equipped ones), so that a two-handed sword and a one-handed sword can appear on the player's back. By default, they clip. But since you can move them by small amounts, you can then adjust them slightly so they don't clip.

A Magical Lamp
Aug 16, 2010

Propagandist posted:

Use XPMSE with FNIS. You'll also need SKSE, Realistic Ragdolls and Force, and Racemenu. This will let you place weapons on several positions on your body. You can switch from having sword on your hip to having it on your back. You can even put daggers on your thigh or lower back instead of on your hip, too.

The reason I bring this up, is because you can open up the console, type "showracemenu", and navigate to the Weapons tab, and tweak weapon positions on your body by very small amounts. This is in addition to the weapon positioning ability above.

I used this with Equipping Overhaul to show multiple weapons on the player's body (instead of just the equipped ones), so that a two-handed sword and a one-handed sword can appear on the player's back. By default, they clip. But since you can move them by small amounts, you can then adjust them slightly so they don't clip.

Cheers mate. I might have a look at Equipping Overhaul too, sounds pretty awesome.

Mr.Grit
Jul 16, 2006

GunnerJ posted:

The newer versions of NMM have the same directory virtualization that was MO's major innovation, so people who switched ages ago and never looked back might not know that.

Unless it's changed in the last few months, it does not. It's a completely different type of virtualization. It still puts everything in the data folder. Run the game not using the nmm launcher and all your mods still load because they are in data\

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow

Your Computer posted:

I guess maybe the difference was bigger before? I tried MO some time ago but it wouldn't work at all so I ended up using the NMM instead. I know it's been updated since but, y'know, :effort:

Yeah, NMM is mostly fine nowadays.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Kainser posted:

Well that answers that.

I'm glad I checked this thread for mods, I downloaded the Alternate Start - Live another Life mod from the OP and it surprised me what a difference it made. I've used quick start mods before but they've mostly been "skip the tutorial" type deals, and I wasn't expecting to be this immersed in the various options provided. Some of them seem way better than others (starting with a manor, mostly) but the RP'er in me makes me want to start a different character for each option.. something Skyrim really didn't encourage in vanilla.

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Your Computer posted:

Well that answers that.

I'm glad I checked this thread for mods, I downloaded the Alternate Start - Live another Life mod from the OP and it surprised me what a difference it made. I've used quick start mods before but they've mostly been "skip the tutorial" type deals, and I wasn't expecting to be this immersed in the various options provided. Some of them seem way better than others (starting with a manor, mostly) but the RP'er in me makes me want to start a different character for each option.. something Skyrim really didn't encourage in vanilla.

For alternate start mods, you might also want to check out Skyrim Unbound, which lets you do a whole bunch of customization with your start.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy
I've used both LAL and Unbound and I prefer Unbound to LAL, especially coupled with Disparity.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Kainser posted:

Yeah, it's fine, but Mod Organizer is loving great. Why settle for fine when you can have great?

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

if anything, sticking with MO would mean that this thread would have a lot more input to any problems

I can't make heads or tails of the NMM UI these days

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
There is literally no argument against MO except stupid ones. Stupid ones like 'But Arthmoor says...'

• Locked thread