Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Checking the back cover, Free Enterprise + Elves/Leprechauns was published in 1990, so for all of its faults, at least Harry Potter-chasing isn't one of them. ElfQuest, maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I brought my Drake
Jul 10, 2014

These high-G injections have some serious side effects after pulling so many jumps.

Darthemed posted:

Checking the back cover, Free Enterprise + Elves/Leprechauns was published in 1990, so for all of its faults, at least Harry Potter-chasing isn't one of them. ElfQuest, maybe?

The 80s fostered a lot of stupid punny sci-fi. I can't believe I ever read anything by Spider Robinson and actually enjoyed it.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

queserasera posted:

The 80s fostered a lot of stupid punny sci-fi.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Callahan's_Crosstime_Saloon

Puns and hamfisted political soapboxing in a setting just whimsical enough to take the edge off of it is the worst.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

queserasera posted:

The 80s fostered a lot of stupid punny sci-fi. I can't believe I ever read anything by Spider Robinson and actually enjoyed it.
Eh, Spider Robinson's full novels tend to lapse into his pet drop-ins, but he's far from the worst offender in that category, and I can still get behind a large chunk of his short stories, at least as of last reading. Like the one from the By Any Other Name collection which makes an argument against extending copyright perpetuity (specifically for music) due to the finite number of possible melodies.

Mike Nelson's Death Rat!, by Michael J. Nelson (2003)

Purchased at a time before I started finding Mike Nelson (of MST3k) dull and kind of obnoxious, this novel tells the story of a Minnesotan trying to write a book about a big rat. From what I remember (which honestly isn't much, though I do recall it being a struggle to get through at the time), the book is poorly-paced, filled out with dull side-stories (like a discussion of what people call chicken thighs when served on their own), characters that read like cut-rate and intentionally inoffensive Hiaasen imitations, and an unengaging premise carried by a protagonist that had weird flexes of character to bend him into something that could get the next section going. There's also some unfavorable comparisons to be made to Prairie Home Companion in the amount of detail for its own sake, though it's done in an even more self-conscious manner, making most of the humor land fairly flat. Sure, a lot of that is subjective and half-remembered (and at the time, I was probably soured that it didn't have the quick humor of MST3k), but thumbing through it now, I feel OK in that assessment. It's not really a terrible book, but one that I am embarrassed to have purchased.

Back-side summary:

Mike Nelson's Death Rat! posted:

What if an aging, unsuccessful Minnesota author of history books with names like Old von Steuben Had a Farm: The German-American Settlement of the Midwest decided he could write a book every bit as vapid and ridiculous as the books that sold four hundred times more copies than his own? Well, he would write Death Rat, of course, the thrilling tale of a man who battles prejudice, his inner demons, and a cunning six-foot-long rat.
And what if he was told by publishers that, at sixty years of age, though his book was a thrilling read, he just didn't look the part of a virile writer of gripping adventure books featuring cunning six-foot-long rats? Well, he would cook up a scheme so outrageous, it would incur the wrath of Gus Bromstad, the beloved author of the homespun Dogwood Downs series of books. And it would stir up the bizarre religious fervor of King Leo, the libidinous funk superstar whose CD "LoveDeathTomorrowJelly" was one of the biggest sellers of the decade. And it would throw him into a strange symbiotic relationship with the entire town of Holey, Minnesota, population 38.
Such is the fate of one Pontius Feeb, the hapless author of Death Rat. . . and perhaps the fate of all who attempt to write gripping novels featuring cunning six-foot-long rats.

A few excerpts:

Given his advancing age and his current stature in the business community, Pontius Feeb knew that it was unseemly for him to be driving giddily through town at mid-day, whistling and thinking fondly of spit-roasted chicken and buttered fingerling potatoes.

Bromstad, the honored guest of PederCo—a local hospitality conglomerate with substantial travel agency, hotel, and restaurant holdings—and its owner, Darlene Pedersen, stood in her moderately luxurious skybox picking through a pile of steaming chicken wings.
"Are there any drummies?" he said to no one in particular.
Of the fifteen or so other people in the room, sitting in the row seats watching the game or hanging about the beverage table, not one seemed to have any idea to whom or about what he was talking. Ms. Pedersen's assistant, a pleasantly bland woman of twenty-eight whose ID badge read JENNIFER, moved efficiently over to Bromstad, placed a hand lightly on his shoulder, and said, "Mr. Bromstad, can I get you something?"
"Drummies? There are usually a couple of 'em floating around in here. Somebody already pick 'em out and got 'em rat-holed somewhere?" he asked accusingly.
"I . . . I'm afraid—" Jennifer stammered.
"Is this hard?" he asked, his hat trembling ever so slightly.
"Oh . . . um," said Jennifer, not wanting to respond honestly.
Ms. Pedersen, with her extensive knowledge of appetizers, tried to clarify matters, voicing gently but firmly from across the suite, "Chicken legs are also known as drumsticks, Jennifer. Mr. Bromstad would like some of those."
"Oh. I'll go talk to catering." Jennifer bustled out of the room on the hunt for the desired chicken parts.

Gus Bromstad was in a hurry to use his new FlameMaster convection oven and did not read the label. He glanced at it only briefly before cooking his enchiladas, ignoring everything but the suggested oven temperature. He did not even wait long enough for the oven to preheat, and this gave the naturally occurring bacteria an even more conducive environment in which to grow. It was, in fact, not he who had thawed the Mrs. Condresi's Crab Enchiladas in the refrigerator; it was his buying service. But that was of no help to Gus Bromstad on this particular night.

"Um, thank you," he said. "We, my friend Jack Ryback and I, are here to ask a favor of you, the town of Holey. We—" Ponty was thrown suddenly when the appearance of a man in the front row caught his eye: He was wearing jeans, soiled work boots, and an extraordinarily dirty and frayed baseball cap. But it was the slogan on his black T-shirt that most arrested Ponty's attention, and he took the time to read it. It read BEAUTY IS IN THE EYE OF THE BEER HOLDER and featured a cartoon drawing of a google-eyed man, gargantuan tongue hanging from a snaggletoothed mouth, looking lovingly at a stein of foamy beer. Ponty was amazed that this was the outfit he had chosen for a Sunday-morning meeting, and by the time he had finished reading the shirt and being amazed, he had completely taxed the slim reserves of patience the crowd had for him.

"Gerry has an earth home," Ponty informed the others.
"Yeah, me and Bilbo," Gerry laughed.
"Now, Gerry, is Bilbo your wife?" King Leo asked good-naturedly.
Gerry checked to see if he was kidding and, discovering he wasn't, said, "No. No, Bilbo's a hobbit, from the Tolkien books."

Much like Mr. Spock playing a difficult tridimensional chess match against an intellectually lively opponent[...]

Darthemed has a new favorite as of 23:04 on Jun 9, 2016

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Pontius Feeb is one of the worst "funny" names I've read in a long time. Hot drat.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Why does this leprechaun have a book for a penis?

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth

House Louse posted:

Why does this leprechaun have a book for a penis?

Don't kinkshame.

NLJP
Aug 26, 2004

Darthemed posted:

It's not really a terrible book, but one that I am embarrassed to have purchased.

I haven't read it but those excerpts make me confident that it is, in fact, a loving awful book.

I mean, christ:

quote:

Gus Bromstad was in a hurry to use his new FlameMaster convection oven and did not read the label. He glanced at it only briefly before cooking his enchiladas, ignoring everything but the suggested oven temperature. He did not even wait long enough for the oven to preheat, and this gave the naturally occurring bacteria an even more conducive environment in which to grow. It was, in fact, not he who had thawed the Mrs. Condresi's Crab Enchiladas in the refrigerator; it was his buying service. But that was of no help to Gus Bromstad on this particular night.

Are you kidding me? This is utterly wretched.

NLJP has a new favorite as of 08:45 on Jun 9, 2016

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Yikes. Mike Nelson is a very funny man, but he's funny in a way that just doesn't lend itself to fiction writing.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅

Darthemed posted:

Honorable mention goes to The Book of Words, Volume I: The Baker's Boy, by J.V. Jones.

Back-side synopsis:

Sounds like an OK fantasy novel, though kind of bland. But it's probably the shortest time I've spent reading a book that I actually started, thanks to the first scene, which is of a man (presumably the evil sorcerer) raping the drugged queen in her sleep.

Last paragraph of page five and the first of page six, halfway through the prologue. It has a 3.5/5 average on Amazon, and the front has "THE #1 NATIONAL FANTASY BESTSELLER!" right at the top, so maybe it gets better, but that was a pretty effective roadblock for me.
JV Jones definitely isn't for everyone but she is a pretty good author. But if you're going to read her you have to brace yourself for long long descriptions of unpleasant stuff. Gritty doesn't begin to describe how she'll go into weird detail about veins and bladders and sometimes that's just explaining to you how they're making dinner.

Darkhold has a new favorite as of 11:57 on Jun 9, 2016

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Prenton posted:

I likes how the solution to the intriguing technical mystery of Airframe was DON'T TRUST THE CHINESE
TBF Airframe was based on a real-life case.

Jonathan Yeah! posted:

Rising Sun was the blah blah blah Japanese corporations taking over America, wasn't it? Still better than Airframe.
Yeah, it was. Robocop 3 was a better version of that trope.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

Yikes. Mike Nelson is a very funny man, but he's funny in a way that just doesn't lend itself to fiction writing.

It's been forever since I read it but I remember liking his book of essays he did.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Don't kinkshame.

Your hardback fetish is absolutely terrible.

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

"Death Rat!" sounds like something the MST3K character Mike would come up with, ashamed but secretly convinced at his brilliance; the bots would discover his hidden manuscript, embarrass Mike by reading it aloud, and roundly mock it between Movie Signs.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

The main thrust of the book, as I remember, was more about how authors tend to be viewed as a brand to sell, more than the books themselves. The author of the titular "Death Rat" is actually replaced on the jackets and press tours by a younger and handsomer man as a means of selling more copies. There's also a kind of Tom Clancy knock off in the book who's very protective of his look of wool sweaters and fishing hats.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Cracking into some (kind of) licensed stuff today, with this trilogy.

Lucasfilm's Alien Chronicles, by Deborah Chester (1998-1999)

In between pumping out Star Wars EU books and crushingly boring EU for Willow, Lucasfilm found reason to release this trilogy in rapid succession (though they didn't even bother with the sparkly embossing for the third one. Thematic reasons, so as to tie into the decline of the alien empire, or due to lack of reader/publisher interest? Your call.). Pretty much a traditional gladiator story as it would be told in a fantasy setting, but translated into sci-fi, with aliens of the 'all members of this species have these personality characteristics' type (cruel reptilians, submissive dog-likes, Jawa-types, etc.). Oh, and also, at least some of these species can somehow interbreed.

The main plot is that a female member of the feline race, who serves as the protagonist, is kept as a pet by the reptilian princess before being cast out to survive by her wits, at which point she becomes a well-regarded gladiatorial fighter, eventually leading a rebellion against the reptilian empire of oppressors. Take the editing skill of the average Star Wars EU book and apply it to a fairly simple story stretched out to ~1200 pages with a glazing of sci-fi (along the lines of 'let's call a knife a slicer' and colonialism directly applied to interplanetary rule), and a predictable ending telegraphed by the broad characterizations. While the writing doesn't touch the level of terrible that's been shown by other stuff in this thread, it's amazingly tedious, weighed down by sci-fi euphemisms, a juvenile sense of political intrigue, and awkward world-building (for example, quality A of creature C, already known to all the involved characters, will come into play in a future plan, so let's have the characters say "It is well-known that creature C has quality A," to each other). I really don't know how I got through these as a kid, but I will give it credit for being the first place I encountered the word 'cartouche'.

A few excerpts (all taken from The Crystal Eye, because if I still have the other two, they're boxed up somewhere):

The Crystal Eye posted:

"Oh!" Velia said, cradling them happily in her arms. "I have some chuffie roots that Tantha found this morning, and there are still a few greens. If I use the last of the pefrike for seasoning, and boil these until they can be mashed, I can—"

The Crystal Eye posted:

"Rumors are beginning to circulate that the Imperial Mother's eggs are weak, making her unable to produce an imperial heir."
Outraged, Israi could only stare at him as her hands gripped the carved arms of her chair. Her rill flared out, stiff and dark blue, while she gasped for an answer to such a ridiculous charge.
"It is only a rumor, majesty," Temondahl said smoothly. "But rumors can sometimes do harm. This one should not be allowed to grow into general belief."
"Our eggs are strong and healthy," Israi declared, unable to get past the insult. "Always we have produced many."
"A solid, consistent number," Temondahl said.
It was flattery, but it was not agreement. Israi eyed him suspiciously. "What do you mean?"
"Surely the Imperial Mother realizes that while she produces excellent eggs each year during Festival, modern numbers cannot compare with those of earlier days when double or three times as many eggs were laid by—"
"History!" she said contemptuously with a sweep of her hand. "We are not interested in the past."

The Crystal Eye posted:

Elrabin slapped his arms against his sides. He felt spent, like he'd talked too much. "Enough speech-making," he said finally.
Harthril nodded. "We going to camp in river tonight?" he asked. "Or we going to get inside city?"
"I'll take choice number two," Elrabin replied.
"How?"
"I'd kind of hoped the Rejects would help us get in," Elrabin said. "But these cubs have ruined that idea."
Nashmarl made a low, pained sound in his throat that Elrabin ignored.
"It is hard to gain Reject trust," Harthril said. "I know no one in Vir."
Elrabin tapped the side of his narrow muzzle and let mischief twinkle in his eyes. "So we go to another plan."
"Which is?"
"We're going to get in the same way the Skeks and the dust runners do. Through the sewers."
"The sewers!" Nashmarl said with repugnance. "Not the—"
"Oh, yes," Elrabin told him. The expression puckering Nashmarl's face cheered him greatly. "Come on. Let's start looking for a hole."

The Crystal Eye posted:

She turned to the chancellor, who handed her a holo-cube.
Activating it, Israi held up the image of Sargas III before the cams, displaying it as a barren, lifeless rock. "This is the homeworld of the Aaroun race," Israi said. "We saved the Aarouns from death centuries ago, and they owe us a great debt. Yet now we are accused of deceit and evil oppression, for we will not let them return to a world which cannot support life. How many of you have stopped a chune from hurting herself and been accused of oppression when she threw a tantrum?"
Chuckles ran through the audience.
Ampris looked at them sharply, realizing Israi was a master at manipulating them.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
Is "Deborah Chester" a pseudonym for Kevin J. Anderson?

Zeth
Dec 28, 2006

Cluck you say?
Buglord
Oh god, I read all of those, and owned at least the first one. I liked at least the first one at the time, though I was a teenager with an even worse sense of good taste than I have now.

Bast Relief
Feb 21, 2006

by exmarx
The Master: A Novel of the Sons of Destiny by Jean Johnson. I picked it up on clearance at Borders ages ago for a couple of bucks because it looked hilarious and it was. In the opening scene our sexy hero is literally lying in his own poo poo. There's also a scene where the protagonist spits his semen out because it tasted bad, and then magicked it away out of her palm so as to not hurt his feelings. But he saw it and his feelings were hurt. Also a significant time was spent going on about the exciting things that had already happened in the other books. Anyway, I'm surprised at the good reviews.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Athyra by Steven Brust. There has to be a law against writing a book this boring. Normally it freshens up a series when you write an instalment from a different perspective, but not here. We go from inside the head of a witty assassin to being stuck with in the shoes of a boring farmboy. He has no arc, no personality, and he ends up brain-damaged at the end, which is scarcely a change. The book is 200 pages but there's not enough plot to fill it. It even threatens to be vaguely interesting by having a previously dead-guy from another book show up to be the antagonist, but this has no bearing on the story whatsoever. And the climax takes place in the dark, sparing the author of having to write anything that could be mistaken for excitement.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Athyra by Steven Brust. There has to be a law against writing a book this boring. Normally it freshens up a series when you write an instalment from a different perspective, but not here. We go from inside the head of a witty assassin to being stuck with in the shoes of a boring farmboy. He has no arc, no personality, and he ends up brain-damaged at the end, which is scarcely a change. The book is 200 pages but there's not enough plot to fill it. It even threatens to be vaguely interesting by having a previously dead-guy from another book show up to be the antagonist, but this has no bearing on the story whatsoever. And the climax takes place in the dark, sparing the author of having to write anything that could be mistaken for excitement.

This book was so weird to read. I loved his other books, but I remember absolutely nothing about this book except that I didn't like any of the new characters. The whole appeal of his books is the witty banter between Vlad and Loiosh, why would he switch to third person?

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
So in addition to writing the comedic fantasy (and pun-wallowing) Myth Adventure series (the later books of which were co-written with Jody Lynn Nye of Mythology 101, who also continued the Myth series after her co-writer's death, saying that they had "big plans"), Robert Lynn Asprin wrote a comedic sci-fi military (and pun-wallowing) series called Phule's Company.

The basic premise is that an semi-independently-wealthy space military officer by the name of Phule causes some sort of public relations nightmare, and gets reassigned to captain the misfits squad (at which point he assumes the military name of Captain Jester). Said squad includes such multi-dimensional characters as Chocolate Harry, the former-biker quarter-master; Mother, a shy-in-person, brash-over-microphone comm officer; Super Gnat, small but scrappy; Escrima, an angry cook; a Legionnaire of Asian descent who goes by the name of Sushi; Rev, the chaplain for a future/space religion centered on The King (read: Elvis); and Tusk-anini, a wart-hog-looking alien with a taste for classical music. Also the main character's butler, Beeker, prim and self-assured because he can handle every situation.

Unlike the Myth Adventures series, this one seems to have ended with Robert Asprin's death in 2008, even though the last four were co-written with Peter J. Heck. I guess audience demand wasn't there for more to be commissioned, since this series started in 1990, compared to the fantasy series' start in 1978 (Myth also had a board game, so hey). I will say that the first two books in the series have their moments, though very lightly written, but going by the Amazon reviews, even the most devoted of Asprin's fans were unhappy once Heck came on-board. Let's break these down, at least a little bit.

Phule's Company, 1990.
First of the series (duh), sets things up. The military of the main focus is the Space Legion (think French Foreign Legion), which I only mention because part of this one's plot is that Phule's Company goes up against the regular space army (name: Regular Army) for a defense contract. Also introduces the short lizard aliens called Zenobians, with whom Phule creates a business deal outside of his military contract, netting him some extra income.

Phule's Paradise, 1992.
In this one, Phule's Company gets sent to a casino planet to protect a specific casino from Mafia analogues. In the process, the company has to pose as casino employees, space Yakuza (that is, Yakusa) pop in for a few scenes, and Phule gains another low-effort source of income, though with the twist that the rest of the company gets shares as well.

A Phule and His Money, 1999.
In this one, Phule's Company gets sent to a planet with guerilla warfare and competing amusement parks. They resolve things in a way that reconciles the rebels and the ruling government, while netting money for Phule and his company.

Phule Me Twice, 2000.
The Zenobian empire is encountering aggression by an unseen enemy (spoilers, it's nanomachines), so Phule, having previous dealings with the Zenobians, is dispatched to serve as their military advisor. For some reason (to keep his higher-ups in the military second-guessing, I think?), Phule has an android double built, who ends up being instrumental in communicating with the nanobots. Probably leads to Phule gaining more money somehow, I don't remember.

No Phule Like An Old Phule, 2004.
Something about big game hunters who assume that since the Zenobians are lizards, their planet must have dinosaurs. Phule serves as their host, and "gets on the wrong side of celebrity canine Barky the Environmental Dog". Robots in the resolution, probably? Also, Phule's father shows up. Money at the end?

Phule's Errand, 2006.
Phule's butler Beeker takes off without explaining why, so that the book can happen instead of ending in two pages. His in-fiction reason for doing so is that he has a relationship with the space-Mafia advisor from the second book, and has a plan to get her out of that servitude after she enlists in the Legion as a medic. Phule goes after him, hopping from planet to planet. Meanwhile, Phule's mean commanding officer visits the planet at which he's supposed to be doing duty, uh-oh!

A few excerpts, all pulled from Phule's Paradise.

Phule's Paradise posted:

Chocolate Harry, the company's massive, pear-shaped supply sergeant, turned his head with regal slowness to survey the Legionnaire who had addressed him through his pop-bottle-thick glasses. One of the few blacks in the company, Harry would be an imposing figure even if he didn't favor a fierce bristly beard to offset his close-cropped hair, or wear his uniform tunic with the sleeves ripped off to display his thick arms, but as it was, the cold stare he leveled was enough to dampen the enthusiasm of his questioner even before he spoke.

Phule's Paradise posted:

Lex shrugged. "So he's rich. So what?"
"Rich doesn't start to cover it," Tiffany insisted. "That, gentlemen, is Willard Phule, the fourth richest man in the universe under forty-five who isn't gay or married and monogamous."

Phule's Paradise posted:

"I gots nowhere to go," Harry said, flashing his teeth. "Is my hawg okay out front there?"
For the first time the bartender showed surprise, raising his eyebrows.
"You got a hover cycle up here?" he said. "I thought I heard one right about the time you came in, but I figured it was my imagination. That or wishful thinking."
"You sound like you used to ride yourself."
"Sure did." The man grinned. "Didn't you notice the bugs in my teeth?"
Harry threw back his head and gave an appreciative guffaw, slapping his thigh with one hand. It was a very old joke, probably predating hover cycles themselves: How do you tell a happy cyclist? By the bugs in his teeth!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

"A military exercise... in fun" has to be one of the worst taglines ever. Also even in 92 it wasn't okay to say "the blacks."

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Those books sounded a little amusing until I got to the excerpts and it became clear where "Chocolate" Harry got his name.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Heath posted:

Those books sounded a little amusing until I got to the excerpts and it became clear where "Chocolate" Harry got his name.

Harry isn't that uncommon :shrug:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
That wasn't the one I was referring to.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE

Darthemed posted:

Mythology 101, by Jody Lynn Nye.

This is the most 90's thing I have seen in a long time. I love it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

muscles like this? posted:

Also even in 92 it wasn't okay to say "the blacks."

There's always something "magical" about science fiction where dozens of alien species pass without comment, but non-white human characters are ~exotic~.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Heath posted:

That wasn't the one I was referring to.
:thejoke:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
UNITED STATES OF JAPAN

We begin in a Japanese-American internment camp! They're being liberated!

quote:

“Poor Kimiko,” Ruth heard someone say. “Their family was so wealthy and now they’ve taken everything from her.”
“The rich had it the hardest.”
Many agreed with deploring nods.
“Sister…” Corporal Fukasaku began.
But, before he could continue, Kimiko demanded in rage, “Why didn’t the Emperor save him? Why couldn’t he have rescued us just a day earlier?”
“I am very sorry for your loss. Please keep in mind that it wasn’t the Emperor who killed your friend, but the Americans. I assure you, the Emperor has taken revenge a hundredfold for what has happened to all of you here.”
“I don’t care about revenge. He’s dead. HE’S DEAD!” she yelled. “If the Emperor was so almighty, why couldn’t he have sent you a day earlier?”
“Calm yourself. I know you’re upset, but speaking against the Emperor is forbidden.”
“gently caress the Emperor. gently caress you. gently caress all Americans.”
“I will only ask you once, and that’s because I know you’re not in a proper mental state. Do not speak against the Emperor or–”
“Or what? He’ll take his revenge? I poo poo on him and the whol–”
Corporal Fukasaku raised his Nambu Type 18 semi-automatic pistol, pointed at her head, and fired. Her head exploded, brain and blood spraying the ground. She fell over, arms interlaced with her dead boyfriend.

"The Japanese knew better!" (This is a theme, you see.)

quote:

The American flag was taken down at Los Angeles City Hall. The Japanese rising sun took its place, enveloping the red, white, and blue in a crimson blaze that melded everything into a hot red ball. It was the 4th of July. The firecrackers that had been prepared to commemorate the holiday were being used to celebrate the fall of Los Angeles. Sparks lit up the air in a graffiti of loss. Paintings of fierce light splattered the sky like blood, only brighter, scintillating in desperation, boding ominously for a dim future. Groups of Americans planned rebellion and dissent. They believed the real fighting would commence after the faux surrender. The Japanese knew better. They were ready for resistance.

And introducing our protagonist!

quote:

There was never a day Beniko Ishimura didn’t think about death. If mortality were a cocktail, it would be bitter, punctuated by hints of lime, imbuing oblivion in short draughts. Ben’s own cocktail was too sweet for his tastes because his date for the evening, Tiffany Kaneko, liked her drinks fruity. She was a striking redhead with freckles that mottled her cheeks. Her green eyes and thin lips could spark incendiaries – the way they’d done the first time their eyes locked. She wore a pink qipao because she appreciated traditional Chinese dresses and the way they emphasized the contrast of her Irish ancestry with her Asian periphery. Even though Ben’s father had been part Chinese and his mother Japanese, he looked full-blooded Japanese. He tried to match the prevailing fashions of the day and aligned his image with the latest trends projected from Tokyo. Like most of the officers in the room, his long hair was slicked back with oil. He wore the brown suit of a military officer, insignia ranking him as a captain in the Imperial Army. Vermilion lapels collided against his chubby cheeks, and, from the bulge in his belly that he refused to acknowledge, it was clear he was fighting both his cravings and gravity. He sucked on an ice cube in his cocktail, relishing the cold that numbed his tongue.

I love my highly detailed descriptions of totally mundane technology! We sure can't have anything as ordinary as "mobile phones" in our magical neo-Japan!

quote:

After he’d exited the performance hall, he took out his portical in its square form and flipped open the flaps to turn it into its familiar triangular shape. Porticals had originally been devised as “portable calculators.” In the decades since the War, they had grown to encompass a phone with visual display, an electronic interface to search information on the kikkai (the digital space where all information was stored), and more. The triangular glass monitor interfaced with the processor, which he navigated via tactile contact. The silver borders accented the sleek design.

They have giant robots because Japan! How did they develop this technology? Why is it so much more advanced than in our timeline? Don't worry about that! Let me explain this abbreviation in parenthesis for you instead!

quote:

The train went above ground. Huge skyscrapers towered in the distance. Mechas – robotic soldiers that were as tall as the skyscrapers – vigilantly guarded the skies against enemies outside and within. His portical was synced with the California Nippon News and a report from Governor Ogasawara gave the annual report on the state of the union. “Crime rates are the lowest in the western hemisphere and pollution is virtually nonexistent,” she stated. This intercut with footage from New Berlin and Hitlerica with their smoggy cities, as their cars still used gasoline, unlike the purely electric vehicles of the USJ. “Our EKS industry,” (Electric Kikkai System), “is booming and, despite attempts by German Minister Goebbels to make New Berlin the portical entertainment capital of the world, Los Angeles still holds the distinction with over a thousand unique depots,” Governor Ogasawara vaunted.

Viruses were raiding her entire immune system!

quote:

Akiko took out her silver gun. “There’s an old American religion that said if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off. If your tongue, cut that out too.”
“I really don’t know anything.”
“This gun will rewrite the history of your blood. If I shoot you with this, in a minute you won’t be recognizable. In four, you will suffer untold agony. In seven minutes, you will die the worst death known in the Empire. I will only ask you once again. Where is Claire’s father?”
“I really don’t know!”
Akiko took the gun and fired into her neck. It took thirty seconds before Jenna started screaming.
“W-what’s happening?”
“Where is General Mutsuraga?” Akiko asked.
“I don’t know I don’t know I don’t know! Please-please d-don’t-don’t.”
Jenna vomited and the whole contour of her back transformed, muscles pressing against her flesh, causing it to bulge. Her breaths were feral, desperate, and lonely. Viruses were raiding her entire immune system, pillaging, sacking, and devouring. Nature never hesitated. The smell of her blood and poo poo filled the air. She’d released her bowels and her shrill cry continued. Ben turned his head away, but could hear her retching and struggling against her seat. He looked to Akiko. She noticed his gaze. He went to the back of the trailer and hit the door.
“Let me out,” he ordered. “Let me out!”
A guard complied. He rushed out and gasped. He’d seen executions, knew about torture methods from San Diego. But the way Jenna’s biochemistry mutated and the smell that followed was more repulsive than anything he’d been prepared for. It was never a good thing to betray yourself emotionally in that way. But he couldn’t help himself.

Oh, and we're not even a quarter of the way through yet! Coming up:

Gratuitous body horror!

quote:

They entered a hallway with a convex ceiling, white walls, shallow reflecting pool, and statues of grotesque animals. It resembled a temple with its axial alignments and lilies floating serenely in the water. She was about to comment on the architecture when she noticed something strange. The statues looked real and one of the nude women blinked. It took a few seconds to realize that all the statues were actual people, bound by metallic strips, some with bars perforating their body, wires intertwined with veins and muscles. An emaciated male had a metallic nail sticking out at every junction point in his bones, a tattoo of a black line linking them in a constellation of affliction. A woman’s skin was split up like patchworks, part metal, part flesh, hundreds of squares breaking up her body into a checkerboard. Another was bent backwards, the spine arcing in an impossible three hundred and sixty degree curl, the face held immobile by a larynx substitute and thousands of needles. They were sculptures celebrating the prosthetics of human profligacy. There was an altar at the other end and several columns that led to a corridor. Next to the altar was a tall giraffe with the face of a human and a dog with the body of a man. A woman had the wings and legs of a flamingo. They were hybrid people and the worst part was that, even though their bodies were immobile, their eyes were restlessly skipping.

quote:

She couldn’t resist the guard putting her hand down into the ant pit. She felt the ants throng her hand. They ate ravenously, thousands piling on top. The smell of her skin was making them greedy. The pain flared and she felt sweat break out over her body. She kept on thinking about her mother washing her hands every evening. She felt ashamed to admit she couldn’t remember a single song on the violin. The pinches were getting more aggressive as the ants cleaved at her fingers.
[...]
They took out her right hand. It was a skeleton stripped of meat from the elbow down. Akiko’s breath tightened. Her chest felt compressed. She started hyperventilating. A man had a short axe ready and placed her arm against the ground.
“W-w-what are you d-d-doing?” Akiko demanded in stutters. “W-w-what are y-y-y-you doing? S-s-stop! S-stop!”
They did not stop.

Toilet problems! Also reminiscing about torture!

quote:

She headed for the lavatory, a private one with only an Eastern-styled toilet in the ground. The lock on the stall door was too hard for her to manipulate so she gave up and squatted above the toilet.
Twenty minutes later, she opened the door and called to Ben.
“You OK in there?” Ben asked.
“I’m fine,” she replied. “ I need some assistance.”
“What’s up?”
She looked at the tip of her prosthetic hand, covered in poo poo, toilet paper ripped to shreds. She was embarrassed, but defiant as well.
Ben saw the struggle in her face and asked, “Can I come in?”
“Yes.”
Ben did not flinch or make any overt reaction. He assisted her as best as he could.
They both washed at the sink.
“One of my commanding officers told me the best way to make a prisoner go crazy was leave them in a dark room and not clean up their poo poo,” Akiko explained. “We called it ‘excrement torture.’ I did it to a woman obsessed with cleanliness. Stuck her in a room for a month. Never let her shower or clean up her piss or poo poo.”
“What happened to her?” Ben asked, as he rinsed with soap.
“When we let her out, she wasn’t human anymore. I thought she was weak. But I know now I couldn’t have handled even a day of that.”

Cyborg gun arms that use crystals to fire 'energy beams'! Which have recoil! Why wouldn't you just use a regular prosthetic hand and make it into a gun you can hold instead? Because Japan!

quote:

Akiko’s eyes went to a particularly lethal-looking cannon that was pitch black, a long corpulent barrel with grooves like fangs. “What’s that?”
“German prototype I scored a few years back from some arms dealers visiting from Rome.”
“What’s it do?”
“They called it the death ray. It uses crystals to power energy beams that are more deadly than bullets. Only problem is, it’s heavy and impractical as a gun arm. The recoil sucks even with the muzzle brakes. Hard to aim and balance.”
Akiko noted that it was made of alloy steel and had a revolving barrel that switched bullets with lasers. “Can I try?” she asked.
“I’ve tried to move this since I got it. It’ll screw up your shoulder and back. You should try this Type 22 light machine gun. They’re not too heavy, fire Arisaka cartridges, and–”
Akiko’s eyes were on the death ray. “Indulge me,” she said.
Orochan helped Akiko remove her prosthetic.
“Your scar is still fresh,” Orochan said, noticing the cuts and the wound. “You need more time.”
“I don’t have time.”
“This won’t hold long.”
“I don’t need long,” Akiko insisted. “Just a few days.”
Orochan had to use both arms to lift the death ray, screw in the rivets, connect the electric nerves, and calibrate the trigger. “This a five-axis swivel on the sock?” Akiko grunted in assent. “I’m using an amplified osseointegration process with this titanium bolt. This’ll sting, but it’ll attach the part to your bone with this abutment. These patches will accelerate the osseointegration, but if you’re not careful, it’ll rip out your bone.”
The integration felt like a hammer on her joints, a stabbing motion that jolted her entire body. Akiko clenched her teeth. The wires looked like cracks in a drought-ridden desert. Globules of fat and flesh surrounded the junction point. She felt as though she were being penetrated by a thousand needles, her skin imploding.

What was the actual plot about, you ask?
I don't remember!
There was a subversive video game called "United States of America" and a general who was a traitor, and it was really goddamn boring, drowned in a sea of juvenile grimdark poo poo.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
help help get it off me

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I'm about halfway through The Gripping Hand, the sequel to The Mote in God's Eye. Both aren't really bad books, per se, they have some interesting ideas- but the dialogue and interactions between characters are all extremely labored, like the authors were trying to hit a certain word count or something.

Mr Toes
Jan 2, 2008
Digitally Challenged
33-odd pages and nobody's talked about Dreamsbane of Tamalor, the creation of 'wildly creative' individual Bradley James Simpson (and his vanity publisher). I was once part of a newsgroup that he e-mail bombed with the preview and I was so fascinated with its...unique style that I ended up buying it to see where it went (it goes nowhere). Honestly, I've had more entertainment value just by getting other people to read it and observing their reactions, which normally revolve around them throwing it across the room.
However, don't just listen to me - check out these great reviews!

"Excellent fantsy (sic) world with compelling plot and vivid characters."

"This is a wonderful look at the creative powers of the mind. Bradley J Simpson has created characters and a world you will not soon forget. Looking forward to his next book and I highly recommend you stop and read this engaging tale."

You can find the preview on Google Books, and my lord you have to check it out. Just flicking through it randomly, we have the following:

""How do I know that ye have the rose?" Longblade quietly whispers secretively."

"Wolf, I come from another dimension."

Quickly Linda kisses Wolf gingerly on the cheek and hurries off to her own room. Wolf stands there lingering for a long period of time just staring off into nothing as he blushes softly.

"This last mountain trail will surely be my last."

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Oh, that J. G. Eccarius I mentioned upthread? Yeah, I found the publisher excerpts from his books. The Last Days of Christ The Vampire, We Should Have Killed the King. No, no, don't thank me. Also, there's more than one anarchist vampire novel, making it probably a genre now.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Mr Toes posted:

33-odd pages and nobody's talked about Dreamsbane of Tamalor, the creation of 'wildly creative' individual Bradley James Simpson (and his vanity publisher). I was once part of a newsgroup that he e-mail bombed with the preview and I was so fascinated with its...unique style that I ended up buying it to see where it went (it goes nowhere). Honestly, I've had more entertainment value just by getting other people to read it and observing their reactions, which normally revolve around them throwing it across the room.
However, don't just listen to me - check out these great reviews!

"Excellent fantsy (sic) world with compelling plot and vivid characters."

"This is a wonderful look at the creative powers of the mind. Bradley J Simpson has created characters and a world you will not soon forget. Looking forward to his next book and I highly recommend you stop and read this engaging tale."

You can find the preview on Google Books, and my lord you have to check it out. Just flicking through it randomly, we have the following:

""How do I know that ye have the rose?" Longblade quietly whispers secretively."

"Wolf, I come from another dimension."

Quickly Linda kisses Wolf gingerly on the cheek and hurries off to her own room. Wolf stands there lingering for a long period of time just staring off into nothing as he blushes softly.

"This last mountain trail will surely be my last."

These quotes are like something from Half Life: Full Life Consequences

'today is a good day to do what has to be done' whispered Wolf secretively and did a backflip longingly into nothing

Mr Toes
Jan 2, 2008
Digitally Challenged

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

These quotes are like something from Half Life: Full Life Consequences

'today is a good day to do what has to be done' whispered Wolf secretively and did a backflip longingly into nothing

Actually, that's a pretty accurate assessment. Everything is fully described to at least one level of redundancy ('mutual love for one another' as an example') Unfortunately the preview doesn't include the 'songs', which contain things like rhymes using the same word and the line 'sunlight shines in reverse during night', which is so odd it's stuck in my brain for over a decade.

If I can find it, I'm halfway tempted to do a lets read.

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength

Darkhold posted:

JV Jones definitely isn't for everyone but she is a pretty good author. But if you're going to read her you have to brace yourself for long long descriptions of unpleasant stuff. Gritty doesn't begin to describe how she'll go into weird detail about veins and bladders and sometimes that's just explaining to you how they're making dinner.

Yah, I haven't read that series but have been following the one that begins with A Cavern of Black Ice and it's pretty great although she's putting us through a GRRM-like amount of waiting for the next (and final?) book. Six years and counting... (unlike GRRM, though, she doesn't spend all the time blogging about football or whatever, she more or less drops off the surface of the Internet instead.)

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This isn't 100% on topic but it is related, and it was too good not to share:

When Dickens met Dostoevsky by Eric Naiman.

shelley
Nov 8, 2010

Tiggum posted:

This isn't 100% on topic but it is related, and it was too good not to share:

When Dickens met Dostoevsky by Eric Naiman.

This was a wild ride from start to finish. Holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samfucius
Sep 8, 2010

And if you gaze long enough into a nest, the nest will gaze back into you.

divabot posted:

Oh, that J. G. Eccarius I mentioned upthread? Yeah, I found the publisher excerpts from his books. The Last Days of Christ The Vampire, We Should Have Killed the King. No, no, don't thank me. Also, there's more than one anarchist vampire novel, making it probably a genre now.

Hey, that's the same publisher as "My Journey with Aristotle to the Anarchist Utopia," that book I made an effortpost about many pages ago.

They're great.