Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.
Any way to get rid of this god awful blur across the screen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Man, people are on crack reviewing this game. The combat is cool and keeps you super mobile, and a lot of situations you can just run through with your focus shield and kick people out of the way without even losing speed. The way that DICE has set it up you can easily level a room of 4-5 dudes all shooting at you if you just mix up your attacks.

Vault and drop onto # 1, shift to the side, topple kick the second into the third, slide kick # 2, heavy combo # 3, shift side twice, shift forward fast attack # 4 into a window, pivot, run away from four dead fucks.

If you get countered you are doing the same move too many times in a row.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 03:20 on Jun 9, 2016

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
The combat works pretty well for that in the open world, but really suffers when it just drops you into an arena, especially if you have to restart and go in without any Focus Shield. There are a couple of rooms in the middle to late story that work directly against the combat's strengths.

I'll also admit I get a bit salty about how the dudes with guns can peg you from two buildings away, which can be obnoxious if you're trying to get somewhere and accidentally lose Focus.

BeanpolePeckerwood posted:

I dunno, this is how it was in the first game and it's far more reliable here. In my opinion if my character fails on a specific occasion to enter a wall run because I misjudge the distance it's in my interest that there is at least some possibility for a vault to take place without me having to press another button. Having to keep in mind more buttons for similar actions in a tight would be frustrating as hell, especially when you get to complex traversals that require repeated pivots, I mean, at that point it becomes a struggle for your brain to keep up with muscle memory.

shift left -- > wall run left -> wall run up -> pivot -> jump -> tuck -> soft roll

[R2+L] --> [L1] --> [L1] --> [R1] --> [L1] --> [R2+L2] --> [R2]

That's a fairly complex string of button presses in my opinion (but not even as complex as the games get), one that I can previsualize the architecture for in my head because it pops up so frequently in both games. I'm not sure I'd want any more buttons added to that mix.

[shift] + L or R stick is a loving revolution in mobility though, a huge improvement.

In a slightly different system, the button presses aren't that different. A similar sequence in Prince of Persia on PSOne would be something like LS + R1 -> X -> X, and it'd automate the soft roll if one was required. The execution comes from timing, rather than the mechanical complexity of the execution, and that's the sort of system I grew up in.

I do think you've touched on something here, in that it's bizarre that the mid-air tuck is a Movement upgrade in Catalyst, rather than something you just know how to do.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wanderer posted:

The combat works pretty well for that in the open world, but really suffers when it just drops you into an arena, especially if you have to restart and go in without any Focus Shield. There are a couple of rooms in the middle to late story that work directly against the combat's strengths.

I'll also admit I get a bit salty about how the dudes with guns can peg you from two buildings away, which can be obnoxious if you're trying to get somewhere and accidentally lose Focus.

In a slightly different system, the button presses aren't that different. A similar sequence in Prince of Persia on PSOne would be something like LS + R1 -> X -> X, and it'd automate the soft roll if one was required. The execution comes from timing, rather than the mechanical complexity of the execution, and that's the sort of system I grew up in.

I do think you've touched on something here, in that it's bizarre that the mid-air tuck is a Movement upgrade in Catalyst, rather than something you just know how to do.

It's just an upgrade because they're trying not throw too many mechanics at the player at once. I mean, the number of skills can look a bit daunting to a newbie, but most of them are unlocked by the 5th mission.

Also, shift builds focus immediately, and even in an arena shifting before every attack increases your power and resistance. Arenas with 5 dudes are literal cheesecake if you mix up your attacks. But guess what I see the video reviewers doing...the exact opposite.

Hell, you even get a longer slide from standing still if you shift forward at the same time. There are so many tools at your disposal.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Jun 9, 2016

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Wow, the Benefactor mission is videogame bliss. It reminds me of the 'Kate' mission in ME1, all the scaffolding and perfect ambient music.

Kithyen
Oct 18, 2002
I DON'T KNOW THE BBCODE FOR BIG RED TITLES SO I CAN'T FIX THIS FUCK
I completed the main story last night. Although it's pretty quick, I have to say, like the first Mirror's Edge, I see myself replaying this game quite a few times.

My only complaints are the stuttering cutscenes. I'm assuming this may just be my aging PC, and the stuttering usually resolves itself at about a second or two in. Combat can feel a little clunky at times especially around the dudes that kick you and send you flying backwards. Once you get some good unlocks and some practice it's actually quite satisfying to knock around a group of dudes though.

I barely touched the fast travel option even after unlocking it because I had so much fun attempting to find new ways to get to my destination. I feel like they took some of the issues of the first game and found some good ways around it. I'm having less "oops" moments than I did in the first one, although that may just because I'm familiar with the general system after having played the first one so much.

And holy gently caress the final level. I generally don't have issues with movement in first person games but that level made my stomach jump a little bit the higher I went. I can imagine I wouldn't feel so hot playing this level in VR :v:

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I bet the stuttering cutscene on PC problem is VRAM related.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Wow, the Benefactor mission is videogame bliss. It reminds me of the 'Kate' mission in ME1, all the scaffolding and perfect ambient music.
Is it the one with the high rise pendulum? That map was awesome.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, and I loved the way the crane arm lurched as you ran up it to get to the final part of the level.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

My copy arrived yesterday and I'm loving it. Just finished the pendulum level and the MAGrope piques at my love of grappling hooks. Combat is definitely clunky and could be a bit harder, but I like how you have to combo enemies to get them to stay down.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Yeah, that's Benefactor.

I love on that mission when Faith says to someone over the com the equivalent of "I'm enjoying myself", because that's exactly what I was doing.

Kithyen posted:

I completed the main story last night. Although it's pretty quick, I have to say, like the first Mirror's Edge, I see myself replaying this game quite a few times.

Some of the cutscenes stutter on PS4 as well, I just don't know what the gently caress.

BeanpolePeckerwood fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jun 9, 2016

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Yeah, that's Benefactor.

I love on that mission when Faith says to someone over the com the equivalent of "I'm enjoying myself", because that's exactly what I was doing.

Some of the cutscenes stutter on PS4 as well, I just don't know what the gently caress.

At least until she realizes she's seriously damaging the tower and probably killing a bunch of people despite evacuating the employs with the fire alarm.

I haven't had any cutscenes stuttering, though the sound has dropped out for a couple seconds while just out running around a few times for me. I noticed some bad shadows under a VTOL in a cutscene and sometimes the textures are low res when I'm pulling the chips out of AllCom boxes, but for the most part the game has run really well for me.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Too bad those mission highrises in the construction area shortly after the Sanctuary missions seem to be offlimits for freerunning after the mission has been done. Either that, or I don't find an access.

--edit: Also I wish you could force noon time of day.

--edit: I found the first part of these buildings. At some point, there's a 90° pipe that's only shows in the mission preventing you from proceeding. This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xILmay49Y6k&t=530s

:(

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 20:37 on Jun 9, 2016

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

I like the poor guy with an apartment bang on one of your major routes.

He started out calling "honey I think there's someone on the balcony". Now it's just "there goes another one" :rolleyes:

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rY6WvN28MI

I need to start listening to this at the gym. gently caress, it's so good.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
Can't believe Origin are charging £50, thankfully cdkeys exists and I got it for a much more reasonable price. Looking forward to giving the PC a workout and wincing every other minute as the screem goes black before *crunch*

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

The combat is loving terrible. I'm on mission 7, the one after benefactor. And I'm just basically in what is an arena and have to kill about 12 guards without dying. It is painfully unfun, and difficult. Because the gunners always hit you so you're immediately down to the last health bar, then just running around trying not to die.

The rest of the game is brilliant though.

Edit: this bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5XSLxscP-M&t=383s

Even on the walkthrough he's just running around for 5 minutes trying to survive. Must be one of the worst sections of a game I've played.

Ms. Chanandler Bong fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Jun 10, 2016

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

NonzeroCircle posted:

Can't believe Origin are charging £50, thankfully cdkeys exists and I got it for a much more reasonable price. Looking forward to giving the PC a workout and wincing every other minute as the screem goes black before *crunch*

They took out the sickening crunch, thankfully. Also the screen turns white now.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

Loving the game! It's more Mirror's Edge, which is exactly what I wanted. Turned off the runner trails too since they're never the fastest path and I'm spergy enough to want to ace all the time trials, and it works just fine. Only real complaint thus far is the characters and plot are built for edgy teens circa the mid-90s. Though I think it's at least a little self-aware because Faith straight up laughs during a conversation with a Serious Badass Tween.

That said, I don't think they did anything to really increase its mass appeal. It still wants the same kind of technical precision and will be frustrating to the same kinds of people in the same ways. Which I have mixed feelings about, because I love it, but I think it's probably headed down the same path as the original in terms of reception :/

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Ms. Chanandler Bong posted:

The combat is loving terrible. I'm on mission 7, the one after benefactor. And I'm just basically in what is an arena and have to kill about 12 guards without dying. It is painfully unfun, and difficult. Because the gunners always hit you so you're immediately down to the last health bar, then just running around trying not to die.

The rest of the game is brilliant though.

Edit: this bit:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5XSLxscP-M&t=383s

Even on the walkthrough he's just running around for 5 minutes trying to survive. Must be one of the worst sections of a game I've played.

That part's pretty easy homes, you should have no trouble taking on that many guys if you're shifting in all directions enough. Make sure you mix up your attacks, if you do you should be able to beat that part on the first try. The gun dudes go down the easiest, so if you have to just get them out of the way first by shifting laterally a bunch. Use the environment to your advantage and drop in on some dudes.

The only problem I can see people having is against the elite dude if you haven't purchased the pull 'trade places' skill, but once you have that they are pushovers.

I turned off the display for enemy stamina bars and it had the indirect effect of making me fight faster and more recklessly. The game wants you to shift around a lot, mix it up, jumping attacks, sliding attacks, heavy mixed with light, tumble dudes into each other!

bloodysabbath
May 1, 2004

OH NO!
How many side missions are there (not billboards, etc., but ones that show in the menu under the side missions tab)?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I keep wishing for a DLC adding another huge, diverse, detailed and fully accessible construction site (they look stylistically the best IMO) to mess around in. The city part for the Vive la Resistance mission is OK, but not nearly as vertical as I'd like, and not as diverse as the mission exclusive map parts.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

bloodysabbath posted:

How many side missions are there (not billboards, etc., but ones that show in the menu under the side missions tab)?

I don't have an exact number, but it seems like 2-3 for every main story mission that comes up.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I like how quickly you can earn upgrade points. You basically get one for every story mission plus 1-2 side dealies. I ground out all the health bonuses because being stuck in an arena fight on 1 bar still sucks hard.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

If you're confused at all about the various terms and such thrown around, then you should check out the extensive lore on the Mirror's Edge website. The game throws you right into things and you probably didn't realize how much thought was put into the world this time around.

http://www.mirrorsedge.com/intel/cascadia

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Man, people are on crack reviewing this game. The combat is cool and keeps you super mobile, and a lot of situations you can just run through with your focus shield and kick people out of the way without even losing speed. The way that DICE has set it up you can easily level a room of 4-5 dudes all shooting at you if you just mix up your attacks.

Will you get over yourself, the game's getting lukewarm reviews at the very worst.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I think one site was complaining that they couldn't focus on any dialog while running.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
With the first or second sentry gun mission, the one in the construction site while the black November lady is yelling at you the whole time (God shut up), am I just bad at being fast, or is there really no way to not get shot? It felt weird to be going full tilt through the level and still be getting pinged by the guns, though my focus shield still tanked most of it.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

khwarezm posted:

Will you get over yourself, the game's getting lukewarm reviews at the very worst.

This is gaming, don't you know that anything below a 9.5 should be seen as a scathing indictment questioning whether the developers deserve to continue breathing the same air as the rest of us?

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Chantilly Say posted:

With the first or second sentry gun mission, the one in the construction site while the black November lady is yelling at you the whole time (God shut up), am I just bad at being fast, or is there really no way to not get shot? It felt weird to be going full tilt through the level and still be getting pinged by the guns, though my focus shield still tanked most of it.

I got shot a bit, but not enough. Eventually I just cleared the place out of a desire to explore. The gun dudes can't take more than a hit or two.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

TerminalSaint posted:

This is gaming, don't you know that anything below a 9.5 should be seen as a scathing indictment questioning whether the developers deserve to continue breathing the same air as the rest of us?

Scores don't mean anything to me, really, but some of these same reviewers forgot to write about MGSV being half a game. The discrepancy exists.

I guess Konami's prerelease party was better.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Chantilly Say posted:

There's no way to not get shot, you have to maintain focus shield to get through unscathed. The whole point of the mission is to stay mobile to survive their fire.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Too bad those mission highrises in the construction area shortly after the Sanctuary missions seem to be offlimits for freerunning after the mission has been done. Either that, or I don't find an access.

--edit: Also I wish you could force noon time of day.

--edit: I found the first part of these buildings. At some point, there's a 90° pipe that's only shows in the mission preventing you from proceeding. This one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xILmay49Y6k&t=530s

:(

I think you're right, though you can replay the mission from the menu...but that's probably not what you want.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

That part's pretty easy homes, you should have no trouble taking on that many guys if you're shifting in all directions enough. Make sure you mix up your attacks, if you do you should be able to beat that part on the first try. The gun dudes go down the easiest, so if you have to just get them out of the way first by shifting laterally a bunch. Use the environment to your advantage and drop in on some dudes.

The only problem I can see people having is against the elite dude if you haven't purchased the pull 'trade places' skill, but once you have that they are pushovers.

I turned off the display for enemy stamina bars and it had the indirect effect of making me fight faster and more recklessly. The game wants you to shift around a lot, mix it up, jumping attacks, sliding attacks, heavy mixed with light, tumble dudes into each other!

Just beat this part now and I think I got hit twice the entire time, both by the charge dude at the end. The goal is definitely to be aggressive and take them down quickly. You can't let dudes with guns pile up and surround you. Also, if you're near their buddies, they're less likely to take shots at you.

I really like the combat now that I'm getting the hang of it, it's all about mixing in wallrun jump kicks and kicking people over balconies and stuff.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

And yeah that construction site mission was dope as poo poo. There are a couple places where you can run into the flimsy panels propped up against walls and they break away and go tumbling off into the sky that you're two inches away from and it's really effective at giving me virtual vertigo. That and the crane at the top of course, which was rad. And it was cool having Faith be all "gently caress yeah, this is fun!"

LibbyM
Dec 7, 2011

I had a couple questions:

If I try and jump over an object using the tuck, and I hit the top of it and do a little slide, that was still faster than if I had slid under it from the beginning right? I'm pretty sure that's the case. They are pretty close but when you get to a point where you're trying to shave a second off of a run, that stuff matters a lot.

Is any of the side content infinite? early on I got the impression that dead drop deliveries will spawn forever, and I wanted to double check I'm right about that.

Ms. Chanandler Bong
Dec 20, 2008

I'm still getting these really pixelated shadows, even though I'm running all on hyper. Is anyone else getting these?

Edit: realised it's the GPU memory limitation setting, and I've been putting the settings too high, so it's scaling the textures and shadows down. Solution, turn off the memory limitation and turn down settings.

Ms. Chanandler Bong fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jun 11, 2016

Mr. Sickos
May 22, 2011

Just finished the main story. Loving the game, but I've had some performance issues. And where's the song??

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Map in the last mission, sucked, tho. Somewhere else someone suggested that I'd love it after proclaiming to having had fun on the construction site. Expected lots of long running through maintenance halls and poo poo like that, instead you're just climbing pipes and grappling long distances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

It was super disappointing. Felt like they ran out of time. Run around corner. Hold spacebar. Repeat.

• Locked thread