Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drakes
Jul 18, 2007

Why my bullets no hit?

Countblanc posted:

Still, I hardly think it's worth hand-wringing over something that's going to help a subset of people who currently are at a significant disadvantage play the game. People have been turning down graphics settings and reducing game music/increasing game sound audio for decades, I'm not going to lose any sleep over having a tiny bit more visual information on screen that's going to facilitate a more inclusive game.

If they implemented it how would it be handled? Would the subtitles just read "Sounds of footsteps." that pops up from allies as well? Right now footsteps aren't too loud and maybe easy to overlook when things get chaotic, which is probably very intentional so flanking isn't given away so quickly. Very different if they had text springing up that may as well read "Theres a bad dude by you.".

Unless the subtitle option was only available with muted sound or something?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
you're obviously playing wrong if you can hear the game over your music, tryhard scum

Lokee
Oct 2, 2013

The brown sea is dark and full of terrors, but the paywall burns them all away.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vxApJd6K7g
2:30 goon game with hilarious comp. :getin: discord.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
You could put little footprint directional icons on the edges of the screen. They'd still be easy to miss in the heat of battle.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Lokee posted:

I still can't believe that worked

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.

Lokee posted:

The chain-self-destructs at the end there were wonderful.

Grammaton
Feb 3, 2004
Cleric
I need to start playing more D.Va.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

Rirse posted:

Man I should tried Symmetra sooner, she is pretty fun to play as. Never knew until playing her how deadly that laser she can shoot out can get. It went through Reinharlt in seconds when he got distracted by a turret. Any general tips on to use her. I seem to took some cues from people I played on where to stick turrets.

Constantly charge and reload-cancel your orb when you aren't fighting. It makes a world of difference when you run into someone and have a 125 damage orb ready.

Attack on Princess fucked around with this message at 13:38 on Jun 9, 2016

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Grammaton posted:

I need to start playing more D.Va.

Nobody needs to start playing more D.Va.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

Lady Naga posted:

D.va's great for breaking through a chokepoint that a Reinhart shield melts under. If you can't get past a wall of Torbjorn or Bastions try a D.va. Otherwise yeah don't bother, Winston does every other role she could fill better.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Lady Naga posted:

I see someone hasn't experienced the overwhelming might of a D.Va rush.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

If you play D.Va now you can be all ":colbert:" and say that you played her before the eventual buff(s).

LuciferMorningstar posted:

lol if you don't literally have at least 5 VOIP programs running simultaneously at all times

Hey man, don't knock me for still running Roger Wilco. It's the bomb!

Lady Naga posted:

Some CS people still use 4:3 monitors and I just can't abide by that.

Those people just can't let go of their degauss button.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Countblanc posted:

Look man if your TF2 doesn't look like this I don't know how you can even call yourself a gamer

What am I looking at here

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer
So I've had a friend who plays competitively explain the lower graphics setting thing to me, but what's the point of going back to a 4:3 ratio?

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
Hanzo seems a lot better when you play him like a Soldier 76 instead of a sniper. He can clear a room like a loving champ when he doesn't have to try pull off long range shots.

Also a nice counter to Tracer since you're just a giant :fuckoff: who can kill her in one shot and even if she does get back around the corner or rewind your bounce arrow will mess her up good.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Fans posted:

Hanzo seems a lot better when you play him like a Soldier 76 instead of a sniper. He can clear a room like a loving champ when he doesn't have to try pull off long range shots.

Also a nice counter to Tracer since you're just a giant :fuckoff: who can kill her in one shot and even if she does get back around the corner or rewind your bounce arrow will mess her up good.

I tried this, but I felt too slow trying to wind up the arrows while also moving around to track people trying to strafe around me. Are you pulling the arrows back to full damage or just spamming them? I might also have terrible aim and really hate playing Hanzo and there's always another Hanzo and/or Widowmaker that choose the character regardless of what we need. The only way I can deal with Tracer is to scatter at their feet. If that is on cooldown, I pretty much have to climb a wall or die. I need a good Zarya teammate so I can land an ult that kills 4 people so I can stop playing him for a while (or ever).

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

DrSeRRoD posted:

I tried this, but I felt too slow trying to wind up the arrows while also moving around to track people trying to strafe around me. Are you pulling the arrows back to full damage or just spamming them? I might also have terrible aim and really hate playing Hanzo and there's always another Hanzo and/or Widowmaker that choose the character regardless of what we need. The only way I can deal with Tracer is to scatter at their feet. If that is on cooldown, I pretty much have to climb a wall or die. I need a good Zarya teammate so I can land an ult that kills 4 people so I can stop playing him for a while (or ever).

A second charge and just pounding it into them. I'm not a great shot by any measure so the game seems super generous on aiming because it's pretty rare I'll fluff the shot.

Fun Times!
Dec 26, 2010
There's a video out there that shows the fact that Hanzo's arrows and other projectiles have a larger headshot radius than hitbox weapons, proving once and for all that Hanzo players are actually bad.

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction
I'm glad they made a character that even people who are actually bad like me can play! Very nice of them.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Fans posted:

I'm glad they made a character that even people who are actually bad like me can play! Very nice of them.

Junkrat is pretty great, I agree

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Yet Mei is the only one I've ever seen anyone get really salty about in game. Brutalise someone 10 times in a row with the same three Symmetra turrets and they won't say a word, freeze and headshot them once and they crack the shits something fierce about using a no-skill character.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Overwatch has a lot of heroes you can play well even if you are usually garbage at FPS games.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

LCL-Dead posted:

So I've had a friend who plays competitively explain the lower graphics setting thing to me, but what's the point of going back to a 4:3 ratio?

If you're playing on a monitor that's as large as the BenQs that pros use it effectively "zooms" the game in, and if you stretch it then the head gets wider for you to click on it. it's really fuckign dumb.

NTRabbit posted:

Yet Mei is the only one I've ever seen anyone get really salty about in game. Brutalise someone 10 times in a row with the same three Symmetra turrets and they won't say a word, freeze and headshot them once and they crack the shits something fierce about using a no-skill character.

It takes control away from your character!!! :qq:

Lady Naga fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 9, 2016

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I've actually been playing Roadhog as kind of a sniper at times. I'll get on the roof of a building near the objective, then hook enemies on the ground, hit them with the close range shot when I reel them in, then let them drop. If that doesn't kill them right away, they're usually stunned or at least disoriented for a couple seconds once they hit the ground, so I can follow it up with a mid-range shot to finish them off.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Andrast posted:

Overwatch has a lot of heroes you can play well even if you are usually garbage at FPS games.

It makes things fun for console scrubs like me :haw:

Can anyone explain the range on D.va's ultimate? It feels like I cannot get away from it if she sets it off anywhere near me, unless I'm playing one of the fastest classes in the game.

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Ehud posted:

Can anyone explain the range on D.va's ultimate? It feels like I cannot get away from it if she sets it off anywhere near me, unless I'm playing one of the fastest classes in the game.

You'll survive her ultimate as long as there's something between you and the explosion so just go hide behind something.

A while back someone posted a video of them hiding behind Mei's health regen ice block thing and it worked which is pretty neat

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Help Im Alive posted:

You'll survive her ultimate as long as there's something between you and the explosion so just go hide behind something.

A while back someone posted a video of them hiding behind Mei's health regen ice block thing and it worked which is pretty neat

It's purely line of sight, yeah.

Hashy
Nov 20, 2005

Hanzo does require skill to play well, it's true

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Ehud posted:

I've also seen Lucio hit his Ultimate right before D.Va's went off and it shielded the whole team enough that they survived. Not sure about the health, though.

LCL-Dead
Apr 22, 2014

Grimey Drawer

Ehud posted:

e: beaten like a dog

Get something between you and her mech before it explodes.

I've survived D.Va ults from arms length away because I walked around a corner or got behind a Reinhardt shield at the last second (at least I think it was the shield that saved me that one time). There have been times where the 24hz tick has allowed me to die despite getting behind cover at the last second though. poo poo is ridiculous.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

It didn't occur to me that it would be more like an actual explosion and taking cover would keep me safe :doh:

Thanks for the tip guys.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Lady Naga posted:

It's purely line of sight, yeah.

It's distance too - if her self destruct icon is flashing red you're in range, if it's yellow you aren't, whether you're in cover or not. Cover just means the red icon can't get you. No idea exactly how long the range is though, but I 'tested' the red/yellow thing a couple times with Lucio and his speed skates.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

NTRabbit posted:

It's distance too - if her self destruct icon is flashing red you're in range, if it's yellow you aren't, whether you're in cover or not. Cover just means the red icon can't get you. No idea exactly how long the range is though, but I 'tested' the red/yellow thing a couple times with Lucio and his speed skates.

Man, there seems to be a lot that I would never pick up on by just playing the game. I had no idea about the color thing either.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!
Had a couple plays of the game last night, but my favorite so far was knocking a full-health Zarya and a full-health Torbjorn off a cliff with one secondary fire as Lucio :smugdog:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I wish Plays of the Game weren't always based on eliminations. The other night I kept hooking a Lucio from a roof, shooting him, and dropping him. That would normally kill Lucio, but he had a Mercy tethered to him. So I must have hooked, shot, and dropped him six times in a row before he finally died.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I wish Plays of the Game weren't always based on eliminations. The other night I kept hooking a Lucio from a roof, shooting him, and dropping him. That would normally kill Lucio, but he had a Mercy tethered to him. So I must have hooked, shot, and dropped him six times in a row before he finally died.

If repeatedly failing to kill one guy could qualify as PotG, I'd be an Overwatch celebrity by now.

Kanfy fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 9, 2016

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Is there even fall damage in this game? I don't think I've ever taken damage from leaping off a high ground.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

DrSeRRoD posted:

Is there even fall damage in this game? I don't think I've ever taken damage from leaping off a high ground.

Overwatch has no fall damage afaik

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

I didn't think so. If the hook+blast didn't kill the Lucio, the fall surely won't. I like to mash M2 on Lucio if I get hooked so I can knockback and escape if the blast didn't 1-shot me. I like ground hooks because they have to turn and escape vs. just fall out of your damage range of M1. It is probably also easier to combo Hook+M1+Melee in that scenario, but pulling an injured healer or squishy out of the group and killing them from above is pretty great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

Lant posted:

Good widows hear reaper's super loud footsteps before he gets close.

Yeah, but how many Good Widowmakers are actually out there?