Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Hey Dirt (and anyone else who has an opinion on this),
Is there a particular set of P90s that you prefer? I've always wanted a guitar loaded with them but as of now I don't have anything to put them in. My experience with the JBE Gattons in my Talman has been life-changing (it's the only guitar I've played since I got those pickups) and I expect they are in P90 territory in terms of the characteristics people mention when describing P90s: "unforgiving," "bright," "versatile," etc.

Whatever they end up being, they need to be quiet and take high gain well without issues (not that I'll only play them with high gain, but I need that option.)

I just don't like shorter scale lengths so I don't know what guitar I'd install them in, maybe a parts guitar; but if there's a holy grail set of P90s out there I'd like to know about them so I can start planning.

In a few weeks I'll be posting many pics in ML because I'm ordering lots of new gear (no guitars) now that work is taking off.

E: typos as usual

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Duncans are my usual go to pickups. The Phat Cat p90 is my favorite neck pickup ever basically. I have stuck one in a bunch of different guitars. They are humbucker sized though. The Duncan Vintage/Custom combo is great as well for actual P90 sized ones.

The current Gibson one in that N-255 on the last page sounds great too. I also have used a pair of cheap rear end ones from guitar fetish and they sounded good.

P90's aren't going to be quiet though. They hum loudly, it's part of the charm. They are basically just hotter single coil pickups with a fatter magnet than a strat/tele type pickup. I'm sure someone makes a noiseless p90, but I have never tried one. P90's sound great with a ton of gain though, they really cut through. But that hum is gonna be there.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Jun 7, 2016

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Let's not dance around the issue here, this is still only ugly guitars itt no matter what the title says:

Those loving pinstripes are vomitous.

Luna
May 31, 2001

A hand full of seeds and a mouthful of dirt

Looks like the last piece in a Dickbutt jigsaw puzzle.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Allen Wren posted:

Let's not dance around the issue here, this is still only ugly guitars itt no matter what the title says:

Eh, if it had a fixed bridge, I would

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Allen Wren posted:

Looks even worse in use:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TGTFLeYI6bw

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

Allen Wren posted:

i think it looks cool but i would want the red pinstripes to be blue, like in the hot rod lp studio they have out

that tremolo looks like it doesnt work and you cant get parts for it

Dirt
May 26, 2003

reallivedinosaur posted:

It's just a normal Gibson style Lyre Vibrola without the big metal plate.

It's the same as this, just without that extra metal

Cobalt60
Jun 1, 2006

Allen Wren posted:

Guy Fierri commemorative edition

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

reallivedinosaur posted:

As DIrt says, it's mind-blowingly stable and never seems to gently caress up the tuning. I have one on my Melody Maker and if you are strong enough you can actually get good range on it.

I can't because I have girl hands

New New Fresh
May 26, 2013

Shakenbaker posted:

Hah, that price makes me wonder if it's in something other than F. You'll come across single horns in B flat or E flat from time to time but there's just not much call for them.

It turns out it's an F horn

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
When I was at the Copenhagen Music Museum/College last week, I saw they had these lovely specimens on display:

This one you can apparently take apart and in it'd defence, was more of a concept:

However, I'm ready to get an ill fitting shirt on, and hit the jazz clubs here:

ishikabibble
Jan 21, 2012

auzdark posted:

When I was at the Copenhagen Music Museum/College last week, I saw they had these lovely specimens on display:

This one you can apparently take apart and in it'd defence, was more of a concept:

http://www.teuffel.com/english/guitars/birdfish/birdfish_main.htm

Not a concept, high end commercial product and primo tonewood stupidity.

Excuse me, tonebars.

http://www.teuffel.com/english/guitars/birdfish/tonebars.htm

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

ishikabibble posted:

Excuse me, tonebars.

Jesus motherfuck

quote:

classic
(standard guitar with tonebars from American alder + 1 set of tonebars from Michigan maple, 3 different humbuckers, 2 singlecoils + flightcase + Schaller Security Locks + toolset)

US$

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

ishikabibble posted:

Excuse me, tonebars.

"played by Henry Kaiser", oh what a surprise

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
those look stupid and lol $15500 but any time someone does something different with materials and design is a good thing

the adjustable pickup position is neat

Alec Bald Snatch fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Jun 9, 2016

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.

Chrpno posted:

This post inspired me to go check out some of Henry Kaiser's work to see if he is actually a good musician, but maybe just got a bad rap from that famous Dumble video of his because hey, he might have just been messing around or having fun being obviously aimlessly experimental and silly while being an otherwise talented guy.

Nope. In all of his work I can find, he displays an impressive lack of feel, nuance, and talent overall. His note choice is boring, predictable, and noodley, and it's obvious he's just working within the microscopic box of his own musical understanding.

He is the quintessential bluesdad. He plays the guitar like a teenage boy touching a girl for the first time. His hands are nervous, jerky, and fumbling. He is seemingly unaware of these inadequacies though, so his performances come off as bizarre displays of confidently displayed inconfidence, as if in the back of his mind he realizes somewhere that he isn't really any good as he struggles to find and finger each note he plays, while simultaneously believing that simply holding a guitar and being on stage itself is worthy of applause and admiration, so gently caress it, whatever, might as well get up there and make as much noise as possible, right?

And on top of all that he goes on to mask his obvious musical shortcomings with exotic, expensive, and ridiculous gear. He does this because of a combination of laziness and overinflated ego. He's too lazy to actually practice and hone his chops or to put the work in to gaining more musical understanding, and his ego is too big for him to admit that if he's not where he wants to be musically, obviously he's not the problem, so his gear must be. So obviously the only solution is to buy crazier and more ridiculous gear. Which as a bonus he then can use to help him rebranded his lack of talent as "eccentricity." And you just know he believes his own bullshit and actually thinks that each weird piece will provide him with yet more mystical, hidden secrets to making more magical music or some horse poo poo.

In short, Henry Kaiser is a hack. And an rear end in a top hat.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Jun 9, 2016

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Does the guy actually have anything out there resembling a real song?

Crossposting from Schadenfreude: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gs8zA_9gUVM

Basically a Kaiser compilation.

auzdark fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 9, 2016

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hiWeClAk4g

:psyduck:

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

auzdark posted:

Does the guy actually have anything out there resembling a real song?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kJus_qf2Pk

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Chrpno posted:

Nail on the head.

Cue Kaiser defender who will call us idiots because we don't get the depth of the 'music'.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Henry Kaiser is the world's greatest guitar troll

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD

GreatGreen posted:

This post inspired me to go check out some of Henry Kaiser's work to see if he is actually a good musician, but maybe just got a bad rap from that famous Dumble video of his because hey, he might have just been messing around or having fun being obviously aimlessly experimental and silly while being an otherwise talented guy.

Nope. In all of his work I can find, he displays an impressive lack of feel, nuance, and talent overall. His note choice is boring, predictable, and noodley, and it's obvious he's just working within the microscopic box of his own musical understanding.

He is the quintessential bluesdad. He plays the guitar like a teenage boy touching a girl for the first time. His hands are nervous, jerky, and fumbling. He is seemingly unaware of these inadequacies though, so his performances come off as bizarre displays of confidently displayed inconfidence, as if in the back of his mind he realizes somewhere that he isn't really any good as he struggles to find and finger each note he plays, while simultaneously believing that simply holding a guitar and being on stage itself is worthy of applause and admiration, so gently caress it, whatever, might as well get up there and make as much noise as possible, right?

And on top of all that he goes on to mask his obvious musical shortcomings with exotic, expensive, and ridiculous gear. He does this because of a combination of laziness and overinflated ego. He's too lazy to actually practice and hone his chops or to put the work in to gaining more musical understanding, and his ego is too big for him to admit that if he's not where he wants to be musically, obviously he's not the problem, so his gear must be. So obviously the only solution is to buy crazier and more ridiculous gear. Which as a bonus he then can use to help him rebranded his lack of talent as "eccentricity." And you just know he believes his own bullshit and actually thinks that each weird piece will provide him with yet more mystical, hidden secrets to making more magical music or some horse poo poo.

In short, Henry Kaiser is a hack. And an rear end in a top hat.

you give him wayy too much credit to call him a blues dad

a blues dad sits there playing the same 12 bar blues over and over, and maybe a few vintage riffs.. the blues dad's vocabulary is limited, sure, but you can jam with him and have a couple beers and play "while my guitar gently weeps" or maybe "hotel california", and he probably knows a cool old metal riff from some Iron Maiden tune you never heard. The blues dad might even play in the cover band at the local bar and everyone signs along to Sweet Caroline and has a good time because they are drunk

I don't think Henry Kaiser could do any of that.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!
I am jealous that he basically has the money to buy any guitar he wants and can manage to play with some really really good musicians. Lucky him. It is just a drat shame that he couldn't buy any talent because his guitar playing really is no better than if I just gave it to any of my relatives and told them to play something.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

reallivedinosaur posted:

a blues dad sits there playing the same 12 bar blues over and over, and maybe a few vintage riffs.. the blues dad's vocabulary is limited, sure, but you can jam with him and have a couple beers and play "while my guitar gently weeps" or maybe "hotel california", and he probably knows a cool old metal riff from some Iron Maiden tune you never heard. The blues dad might even play in the cover band at the local bar and everyone signs along to Sweet Caroline and has a good time because they are drunk
I would love to have this placed in Mirriam-Webster. It should be in a textbook.

I watched that first video out of morbid curiosity. I was, indeed, trolled hard.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Jun 9, 2016

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
i like kaiser a little. not so much his music but just for how much he upsets other people

i'm guessing you guys probably aren't fans of derek bailey either

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

comes along bort posted:

i like kaiser a little. not so much his music but just for how much he upsets other people

i'm guessing you guys probably aren't fans of derek bailey either

I watched a few bailey videos and no. I will say that he looks a lot more comfortable on the instrument, even the if I don't appreciate the output at all.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

That one video, the figure he keeps playing just sounds like a nursery rhyme

but not quite

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Sonny Sharrock is cool.

reallivedinosaur
Jun 13, 2012

Ogdober subrise! XDDD
allan holdsworth has killer technique even though i think he plays dumb notes that sound dumb and tacky

that kaiser guy fascinates me on how someone can just bullshit their way through a music career and be called great

he's one of those "circuit bender" guys who are to electronics what alchemists are to chemistry. i like to watch those guys talk out of their rear end and blow smoke about things they don't understand, while they deliberately try to confuse and redirect the audience

lol when guys like that are doing any kind of instructional stuff, it's like rifftrax material for nerds I guess

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

I don't know about the tech side of him but Henry Kaiser entertains the poo poo out of me. I don't give a poo poo about the ins and outs and how the sausage gets made the result is bizarre in a way that I can't get nowhere else. I don't own anything by him and likely never will but I'm glad he exists if for no other reason because it makes you Steve Vai types apoplectic.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Also, he must have had a fortune before his infamy from being the son of Henry J. Kaiser.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

fyodor posted:

Also, he must have had a fortune before his infamy from being the son of Henry J. Kaiser.

Well it is pretty drat clear that is what drives his career more than any raw talent. Also, I am not sure who here is apoplectic, I can't watch radio flyer without just being in awe, it is like the musical version of the UK Office.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

unlawfulsoup posted:

Well it is pretty drat clear that is what drives his career more than any raw talent. Also, I am not sure who here is apoplectic, I can't watch radio flyer without just being in awe, it is like the musical version of the UK Office.

The second season of True Detective was loving awful.

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

5er posted:

The second season of True Detective was loving awful.

No you see it was deep because it was gritty and it was gritty because it was deep.

Bill Posters
Apr 27, 2007

I'm tripping right now... Don't fuck this up for me.

This is just truly amazing. As has been said, I can't help but just sit and watch in awe.

My favourite parts are where he has to actually pause his monologue for a moment because he is concentrating so hard on completely failing to play the guitar.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

unlawfulsoup posted:

Read the comments on his videos. The anger is palpable and delicious.

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Schpyder posted:

Henry Kaiser is the world's greatest guitar troll

There's one video (which I can't find) of our man Henry showing off some fancy $$$ guitar, waxing lyrical about the figured maple and triple-bound double potted tone caps. He then proceeds to "demo" it by playing huge bends through 10 racks of flange, gapper/choppers, digital fuzz and god knows what. It's hilarious and exactly how you'd make a comedy parody video, even down to the earnest sincerity. Does he really mean it?

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

fyodor posted:

Read the comments on his videos. The anger is palpable and delicious.

That's like being angry at Paris Hilton because she's a lovely actress or one of the Kardashians for sucking at whatever it is they do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

fyodor posted:

Sonny Sharrock is cool.

sonny sharrock is the best

it's amazing for how aggressive and abrasive his playing was, it was always very pretty too

• Locked thread