Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Verranicus posted:

How many people do you need to do old EX Primals and Coils unsync'd?

5 people for EX Primals is the sweet spot. For coil, it depends on the turn. Twintania can easily be done with 5 if the dps is good. For final coil, you may want to add a few more. I think t9 needs 8 for the meteors if I'm not mistaken? It's been awhile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

Verranicus posted:

How many people do you need to do old EX Primals and Coils unsync'd?

T9 is the only one that I think needs more than 5 peoplel. T10-13 can be cleared with 4 or 5 people, if everyone knows wtf2do and has decent enough gear

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Hell, t5 can be done with three people. A few of the old Ex primals can probably be soloed with some classes given enough gear and fight knowledge.

T9 is the one that you will need the most people for, only because meteors will screw you if you try to bring in too few.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Was hoping to get ffgoons kind of working while I prep some stuff and get back to actual work but guess that's not happening :( The mumble should still work while I run some backups for god knows how long and find some more time to gently caress with the server to try to get it working, if it's working right now.

I hope catgirl shitposting can return without interruption for a long time sometime tonight, but this is one of those things where it could be a straightforward fix or an even bigger ungodly nightmare and it's too soon to tell. It's unfortunate that it's ungodly though because I've put so much training into killing gods.

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

If I just did Keeper of the Lake, how close am I to the end of the pre-HW MSQ?

I've gotten the sliiiight impression that the 2.55 content is a massive :catstare:, so I want to get Hildy and the letter quests done with before I start that, so I can go straight into HW without breaking up the pacing with side poo poo.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

dmboogie posted:

I've gotten the sliiiight impression that the 2.55 content is a massive :catstare:, so I want to get Hildy and the letter quests done with before I start that, so I can go straight into HW without breaking up the pacing with side poo poo.

You're getting pretty close. After Keeper of the Lake there's a trial which was the end of 2.5, and then another trial in 2.55. If you want to get that stuff out of the way before going in to 2.55 I would suggest getting the next trial done then clear them out.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

dmboogie posted:

Real close, since it is the final 4 man dungeon

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

ActionZero posted:

You're getting pretty close. After Keeper of the Lake there's a trial which was the end of 2.5, and then another trial in 2.55. If you want to get that stuff out of the way before going in to 2.55 I would suggest getting the next trial done then clear them out.

That's exactly what I wanted to know, thank you!

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009
I now have a magic bucket that hops around after me. If I poke it, a fish jumps out.

This is such a great patch.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Thundarr posted:

Hell, t5 can be done with three people. A few of the old Ex primals can probably be soloed with some classes given enough gear and fight knowledge.

T9 is the one that you will need the most people for, only because meteors will screw you if you try to bring in too few.

T5 is doable with two people as long as they're a tank and healer.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
I think my one real complaint with Mhach is how badly Ozma breaks if one of the groups wipes. You can recover from most of it, but there are very few pugs that can handle that second laser on a random non-tank.

Niton fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 9, 2016

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

brokenknee posted:

T9 is the only one that I think needs more than 5 peoplel. T10-13 can be cleared with 4 or 5 people, if everyone knows wtf2do and has decent enough gear
T11 has two paired tethers in the final stage that force four people to play keep away, so you'd ideally get like six people to get some flexibility there... but yeah.

(Leviathan you want to make sure to NOT bring more than 5, by the way, unless you trust literally everyone to be capable of not attacking. Ditto Ifrit, with the added bonus that I have zero idea why his enrage triggers if you go too fast, whereas Leviathan at least is a straight port of the mechanic from the normal version.)

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nipponophile posted:

I now have a magic bucket that hops around after me. If I poke it, a fish jumps out.

This is such a great patch.

I hope my stupid gear is good enough to get one, but I suspect it's not. Probably time to start getting past the "welp, I can fish up maps and that's good enough" stage.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

I would not be shocked if they lower the HP on the first two bosses since they go on way too long, but I'm not sure what they could do to Ozma without ruining it. Reduce the minimum allowable distance between meteors maybe? That always seems to be the main wipe-causer after people figure out triangle laser and the orbs on cube.

Verranicus posted:

Pretty sure they removed a pose from Tracer, because we're missing one that was in beta.

They removed a butt-pose only to replace it with another one.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Goddamn I love the new pompadour haircut, fits the male Au Ra's animations to a T!

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

It was a flat boring stock pose in a game there trying to animate like an expressive Pixar movie giving flair to every little animation.

True Gamers cannot handle anything and spread misinformation and outrage.

Also my Free Company of mostly lapsed subscribes bought a house and didn't give any real instructions on what to do with it so I hope I'm not in trouble for renaming it, adding terrible furniture that blocks doorways and filling all the gardening plots with apples

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

a kitten posted:

I hope my stupid gear is good enough to get one, but I suspect it's not. Probably time to start getting past the "welp, I can fish up maps and that's good enough" stage.

Tacklekeep's gear is stupid cheap to get now, and that should be more than enough.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Man, Odin is a bit of a difficulty spike compared to other level 50 content. :ohdear:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Lemon-Lime posted:

Man, Odin is a bit of a difficulty spike compared to other level 50 content. :ohdear:
He's an Extreme primal in all but name. Run him unsynced or don't waste your time.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Odin was a hilarious clusterfuck at release but it was super-cool when you were doing your leves in Gridania and suddenly the weather changed and the entire server coalesced around him. It's way better as a trial where you can actually see what you're doing though.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

I really don't get why you think odin is hard

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

DACK FAYDEN posted:

He's an Extreme primal in all but name. Run him unsynced or don't waste your time.

I'm sure he can be done synced, which I would rather do, but unfortunately synced with three pubbies and at least two of the five goons not really knowing what to do (I was one of them) just meant failing five times until people voted to abandon.

It'd be nice to do him synced with a full party of people actually calling stuff out. :)

URL grey tea
Jun 1, 2004

IT'S A SAD THING THAT YOUR ADVENTURES HAVE ENDED HERE!!
T9 needs at least 5 people alive to keep double ice ball from killing someone, and all fires are in. Meteors doesn't require more people, you just need to know how to tell when you get two meteors in a row (count off 3 rotations of the sound effect, and there is a tiny gap between the next meteor animation / sound effect starting).

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Most of the time in this game things that are "hard" actually just require that people know what the mechanics are, and for certain members of the party not be comatose for the duration of the fight. This is often asking too much of the playerbase, however.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Niton posted:

I think my one real complaint with Mhach is how badly Ozma breaks if one of the groups wipes. You can recover from most of it, but there are very few pugs that can handle that second laser on a random non-tank.

Ozma's designed quite a bit like LOTA fights where you need a minimum in all three parties in order to keep everything going well. Main nerfs I think would be reasonable would be orb and meteor damage reduction. Meteors is the main mechanic that wipes people once everything else is figured out (and I'm not sure if Orb's spread damage, haven't tested that out) since they also do the t9 thing of super-exploding if you get them too close.

The second boss could probably use a reduction in HP since once Mega Death and Hell Wind are figured out he becomes a slog. First boss at least has two transitional phases to keep things decently interesting.

Scrublord Prime
Nov 27, 2007

EponymousMrYar posted:

The second boss could probably use a reduction in HP since once Mega Death and Hell Wind are figured out he becomes a slog. First boss at least has two transitional phases to keep things decently interesting.

Yeah, I think he's the biggest offender for a boring slog of the fight that goes on too long. The song and dance doesn't change and it isn't fun or creative to begin with. The sooner he dies the sooner you can get to the fun that's Ozma! :buddy:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I posit than most of the stuff considered hard content is only so because it requires half-way competent dps. If the healers or tanks are bad you know it basically instantly and then you swap out the retards. Bad dps still lead to a functional group, but everything takes longer which just makes things harder in the long run, or you finally run into a wall you can't beat. Everything I've done that I'd consider hard, was so because we constantly failed dps checks or I spend half the time ressing dead dps while trying to actually contribute to the fight.

To name a few examples, if people can dodge, most of Odin is easy. There're were a few hectic moments as a healer, and tanking is a snooze fest. I've then had full non-ressed groups die on his final dps-check-or-wipe attack because popping some cooldowns and using a dps rotation is difficult. Bismark Ex was hard because you're on a time limit before he destroys the island. Hell, when Alexander 1 launched, I've been in groups that reached both Faust's and the boss's enrage timer. The first time we got to the boss, he enraged and wiped us at like 40%. Good groups were almost bringing him there before his split. From what I've seen of final steps, it's not the tanks or healers loving it up either, but failing dps checks.

Maybe I'm just bitter, or biased about maining healers / subbing as a tank, but it's almost always the dps that are bringing the group down. I guess there were a few encounters that were actually mechanically difficult compared to the rest (t9) but I don't see that the majority of the time.

brokenknee
Aug 3, 2014

DACK FAYDEN posted:

T11 has two paired tethers in the final stage that force four people to play keep away, so you'd ideally get like six people to get some flexibility there... but yeah.

(Leviathan you want to make sure to NOT bring more than 5, by the way, unless you trust literally everyone to be capable of not attacking. Ditto Ifrit, with the added bonus that I have zero idea why his enrage triggers if you go too fast, whereas Leviathan at least is a straight port of the mechanic from the normal version.)

I was able to successfully do T11 once with 5 people, but that was with a few members of my old static so :shrug:

Also yeah, Ifrit EX is probably the worst to do unsynced. No, you aren't going to get to FInal Heaven your way through the third set of nails. Get hosed, scrub.

edit:

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I posit than most of the stuff considered hard content is only so because it requires half-way competent dps.

this is unironically the most difficult mechanic of just about every fight in this game.

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

requiring half-competent DPS is the hardest mechanic for S-E to design because their testers are poo poo at the game and can't complete their own raiding content

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

My favorite thing about Mhach is how people think that the webs are what actually protect you from the quicksand on the first boss, so they stand on a web that's right next to the center and die anyway. Or if they get caught far away from a web, they run laterally towards the closest one and die rather than just popping sprint and running out.

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

I fixed all the apache configs for the new IP address but the server is so borked it can't mysql, rip X_X

"So how do I get all the stuff over to a new server from this broken system image to a fresh one or something?"

"Oh just use rsync or scp"

aghhhhhh :fuckoff:

Yeah if it's so broken ttys won't even come up and ssh doesn't work rsync is totally going to work, good going linux master

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
If dps is a problem, maybe they can gate the next round of optional content behind a quest that requires you too 100% a stone sea sky training dummy

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
From reddit:

quote:

A new interview translation was posted by Slycer today over on the BG forums. Thanks Slycer!

https://www.bluegartr.com/threads/128728-Yoshida-on-3.35-and-Beyond-Translation-of-Interview-Highlights?p=6713298#post6713298

Some Deep Dungeon highlights:

Yoshida: "For experience you obtain in the dungeon, you'll get some amount reflecting that outside. So you can use this as a resource for experience while you level up. Of course, it won't directly reflect the leveling up that happens in the dungeon."

It seems patch 3.35 will give us floors 1-50 and then patch 3.45 or 3.5 will give us floors 51-200.

Floors 1-50 should take about 3 hours to complete in total.

The story for the Deep Dungeon will end at floor 100 and the remaining 100 floors are said to be pretty challenging.

They'll add the ranking system along with floors 51-200 as well.

Gear rewards can be levelled in the Deep Dungeon and then used in the outside world. The armor will be a little weaker than augmented lore gear and the weapon will be a bit under anima.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
Everything about the Palace of the dead seems loving amazing.

Full interview:

quote:

Palace of the Dead

It's still a ways off, but I wanted to talk a bit about the implementation plan for Palace of the Dead in patch 3.35. First off, with regards to participation conditions, although there are no role requirements, wouldn't it be a bit tough without any DPS?

Yoshida: Since everyone starts from level 1 the first time they enter the dungeon, there isn't much difference. A white mage using Cleric Stance can be pretty strong right from the start. It's quite easy to level up, so as you level up you'll gain additional actions that you can set like Raise, so it shouldn't be too bad if you keep at it.

Is it the same as when you normal up where the additional actions become available in the order you have them set?

Yoshida: It's the same. For efficiency, it would be better to think of the order you have your additional actions set in advance, but it won't make a huge difference. You should note, though, that your actions will go on recast if you change your additional actions in the dungeon.

Game Watch: Will participation in Palace of the Dead be through Duty Finder?

Yoshida: It will be from a NPC. Unlike Duty Finder content, this has no role requirements, so you can proceed with 4 DPS if you want. Although we already have free roles for things like Frontline in Duty Finder, we wanted to make sure we didn't introduce any bugs. Since Quarrymill is the base of the exploration, you'll enter by speaking to the NPC captain at Quarrymill.

How far will you be able to progress in patch 3.35?

Yoshida: In patch 3.35, floor 50 is the final floor. We're planning on one more update during the patch 3.X series and we're expecting to increase it to floor 200 at that time.

Is there an assumption on leveling to reach floor 50?

Yoshida: It's balanced so you'll have to be around level 60 at floors 40 and above. The last 10 floors are all designed for level 60.

Game Watch: So it will not only be important to upgrade your weapons and armor, but also to level up?

Yoshida: That's right. Your level will go up very fast. Rather than leveling up, it might feel more like an increasing level sync as you gain more and more skills.

4Gamer: Will matchmaking be for people who are near each other in level?

Yoshida: No, the matchmaking criteria is not based on level, it's based on floor progress. Palace of the Dead is broken up into ten floor increments, so if you've beaten the 20th floor, the next time you enter matchmaking you'll be teamed up with others who have also reached the 20th floor.

4Gamer: Can you play from the first floor up through floor 50 in one run?

Yoshida: Yeah. However, I think that would be pretty time-consuming. I think it would take around three hours?

4Gamer: Once you've completed the deepest floor, floor 50, what happens for future play?

Yoshida: The shining weapons that you've seen in the trailers can only be used outside once they reach a certain level. So even after you get to the 50th floor, you'll want to continue to participate in order to train your weapon.

How often is your completion progress recorded?

Yoshida: There is a boss on every tenth floor, and your progress saves after the boss.

So your goals would be to move up each set of ten floors. Are there any limitations on how often you can enter?

Yoshida: There's no limit on how often you can enter, and you can enter immediately once you reach level 17. So please feel free to invite any of your friends to join. It would be nice to see players inviting others through the mentor channel.

How exactly is the completion progress saved?

Yoshida: The dungeon equipment can be enhanced with certain effects specific to the dungeon. The stat advancement on your equipment is saved, and there are two types of floor progress that are saved. One is a personal progress flag that can be used for matchmaking. The other is a progress flag for a fixed party. For the latter, if you save data in a four person party and you want to continue from that point, you'll have to gather the same four people before you continue. So you can do this both ways at the same time, working on your own progress and working on progress with a fixed party.

What happens if people from two different parties team up with separate party data?

Yoshida: Although the progress is separate, the equipment strengthening is the same, so they would start from floor 1 because of the separate progress data, but their equipment will be at whatever state it was previously strengthened to.

If you enter once with four people, and then you go later with three of those same people, will you still need to restart from floor 1?

Yoshida: In that situation, you'd continue from your previous progress. However, because those three people would have entered separately, they would not be able to proceed later on with the one person who was not there. It's a bit hard to explain it all in words, but Deep Dungeon has been designed as a throwback to the old FF style with the interface and save data, so you should be able to figure it out pretty quickly.

If you've already reached, say, the 20th floor, can you still restart from the first floor?

Yoshida: You can do that. But you wouldn't be able to start from the 10th floor, for example.

Game Watch: What happens if a player who was level 10 and a player who was level 60 enter together?

Yoshida: As I mentioned before, save data is fixed to your party, so you will start from Floor 1 / Level 1. In that example, a level 60 and a level 10 friend would both start at level 1 if this is the first time they went together. Then if they got to the 20th floor in that day, the same two people could re-enter the next day and resume from the 20th floor. If you go with a team different from the last you teamed up with, it will warn you that previous data will be erased. The strength of equipment trained in the dungeon will not be lost, but leveling progress will be reset.

Game Watch: Level 60 players will eventually reach level 60 in the content, but what will happen with a player who's only level 10?

Yoshida: They'll reach level 60 in the same way. Within the dungeon alone, you can break past the level that you are outside.

Game Watch: They'd also be able to use level 60 actions in the dungeon?

Yoshida: Yes. Here alone, you can also level up to 60 even if you don't have the expansion pack.

Game Watch: Will the arrangement of monsters be the same every time?

Yoshida: No, it will change every time along with the room layout. From floors 1 through 10 the number of rooms is small. After that, it will increase gradually.

Game Watch: Will there be more traps as well?

Yoshida: That will change rapidly. In the beginning they are just there to annoy you, but in the second half they can cause a big mess [[specific mention of ones that reduce your HP to 10% in one of the interviews, as an example]]. It's intended to be casual without much preparation needed, but you shouldn't just blindly charge through it.

Are there any rewards from this content that will have utility outside?

Yoshida: If you participate enough and train your equipment so that the values reach a certain level, the reward is that you can take that trained equipment outside.

How strong will it be?

Yoshida: The item level will be high enough so that it has practical use around the time of patch 3.35. However, given that you can play it as many times as you want freely, it won't be as strong as the completed anima weapon or augmented lore equipment.

So it might feel like equipment useful for a second job.

Yoshida: Yeah. In addition to that, you'd be able to use it to glamour. However, the type of equipment you obtain is based on the job that you participate with, so please note that.

By the way, will experience you obtain in the dungeon be reflected outside?

Yoshida: For experience you obtain in the dungeon, you'll get some amount reflecting that outside. So you can use this as a resource for experience while you level up. Of course, it won't directly reflect the leveling up that happens in the dungeon.

Well, it's still good that it will have a variety of purposes. By the way, from name of the content with the word "dead" and what you've shown, we're expecting Edda to be involved... can you speak about that?

Yoshida: Well, a certain woman was shown in the trailer, but please wait until the content is implemented. After you complete the Deep Dungeon for this patch, there will be certain side quests that occur, and once you clear a certain quest, a certain character's story will be completed. However, if you want to know all of the truth around that, you'll have to wait until more floors are added. Hopefully players get excited to find out more and challenge the new floors.

I know there are people looking for challenging content to participate in small person parties. Is this intended to be difficult four person content as you get towards floor 200?

Yoshida: The story will probably end around floor 100. Then the rest of the floors up to 200 would just be there as a tough challenge. That being said, please realize it's still under development.

4Gamer: Will there be ranking information implemented with patch 3.35?

Yoshida:It will be added when we add additional floors. We plan to add up to floor 200 in patch 3.45 or patch 3.5. At that point, we expect players to try speed runs, but I think the second half will be pretty tough (laughs).

4Gamer: 200 floors... that's pretty deep. It should be something fun to do outside of the raid. Will all of the rankings be in a hierarchy?

Yoshida: No, we plan to have scores for each job.

4Gamer: How exactly will that work with the content?

Yoshida: Maybe you cleared while holding a treasure, or how much you leveled up, or how enhanced your weapon is, or how many monsters you've defeated. It will be a comprehensive point-based ranking, so it won't just be about speed running.

4Gamer: So it will be another element to enjoy aside from just aiming for the deepest floors.

Yoshida: Yeah. You can play deep dungeon solo also. Since scholars and warriors have good solo performance if we had rankings pooled for all jobs, I think the top players would just be warriors and scholars (laughs).

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

Everything about the Palace of the dead seems loving amazing.

Full interview:

Oh gently caress yes this does, holy poo poo. gently caress the rest of the game I'm coming back for this :v:

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

deep dungeon confirmed poo poo now that boten anna is excited about it

(remember diadem, REMEMBER REMEMBER)

Boten Anna
Feb 22, 2010

ilifinicus posted:

deep dungeon confirmed poo poo now that boten anna is excited about it

My only regret on diadem is that my ergonomics sucked too much to do more of it :colbert:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

ilifinicus posted:

I don't want to though :(

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

most of the spell effects that floors can have and items you can pick up to do things to those floor effects and such are already in the game files

it has interesting poo poo like "cancel any and all further traps from this point on" and "40% more damage done" and "turn into a succubus", "turn into Garlok"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Garin
Oct 18, 2007

Kick Jonathan
Hey, if Deep Dungeon turns out to not be a pile of poo poo then that's likely what I'll be doing once our group beats a8s. The prospect of being able to solo queue and help out people with my upgraded gear also sounds neat at first.

• Locked thread