Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rapner
May 7, 2013

bluegoon posted:

How does one make the best use of three different active accounts, isk wise?

Depends on how you define best. Lowest effort, most income, lowest risk etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Dalael posted:

Your hat is all I need to know you're an idiot.
Thought you should know.

lol

CashEnsign
Feb 7, 2015
So are citadels changing the face of Eve as prophesied?

Goatman Sacks
Apr 4, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

CashEnsign posted:

So far they've made station-less life significantly easier, though they're still pretty buggy w/r/t inventory management, with various blatant workarounds. Also they can be set up to be a 20b isk immobile pipe bomb

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

CashEnsign posted:

Yes. They're being dropped everywhere, people are moving out of stations, wormhole life got a hole lot easier, they can be used with drag bubbles on inline warps, allow carriers to sit around camping gates. It's clear they will replace pos, and probably stations realistically soon.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

pseudanonymous posted:

wormhole life got a hole lot easier,

boo hiss

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
I killed a mobile depot that has been on dscan at a blops mid for the past month. Shot it two days ago at 4:20 and it came out at 4:20. Made quick work of it with the Panther at the mid.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
possible dumb question but will training Magnetometric Sensor Compensation on a mining character help stop those stupid little Gurmista bantams from jamming me when I'm trying to shot rock in peace? Looks like barges have Magnetometric based sensors.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
Anyone dual box burner missions? The Team Burners are easy to dual box (MWD and ECM for the win) and I'm not all that interested in the Base missions, but I'm wondering about the frigate burners if there is a cheap alternative to dual box those without needing 4 different ships all costing 200m+.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Jazzzzz posted:

possible dumb question but will training Magnetometric Sensor Compensation on a mining character help stop those stupid little Gurmista bantams from jamming me when I'm trying to shot rock in peace? Looks like barges have Magnetometric based sensors.

Not a dumb question, and yes, it will help.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
If you train up drones to 3 and grab a couple light drones they would also be more than capable of dealing with the jamming frigates in hisec. It would also allow you to get in on the SP daily mission :sun:

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

pseudanonymous posted:

Yes. They're being dropped everywhere, people are moving out of stations, wormhole life got a hole lot easier, they can be used with drag bubbles on inline warps, allow carriers to sit around camping gates. It's clear they will replace pos, and probably stations realistically soon.

Do you think alliances will begin staging out of them if stations are not removed? I know about the current limitation with contracts...I'm thinking more of the "your stuff can get moved and you have to pay 20% of the net worth to get it back" mechanic.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

Do you think alliances will begin staging out of them if stations are not removed? I know about the current limitation with contracts...I'm thinking more of the "your stuff can get moved and you have to pay 20% of the net worth to get it back" mechanic.

If you can anchor a Fortizar you're going to be far more secure staging out of that than a Sov Null station. Easier to defend, and if you can't defend it you can't stop them entosising your station, you are guaranteed to get your stuff back if you lose it (eventually), and completely elminates all concerns over bubbles and station bookmarks. If they can bring in contracting or contracting like mechanics, although once you've got a market going you can get by, then there is no reason to ever be in a regular station except for the functions citadels can't perform (manufacturing).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

nessin posted:

If you can anchor a Fortizar you're going to be far more secure staging out of that than a Sov Null station. Easier to defend, and if you can't defend it you can't stop them entosising your station, you are guaranteed to get your stuff back if you lose it (eventually), and completely elminates all concerns over bubbles and station bookmarks. If they can bring in contracting or contracting like mechanics, although once you've got a market going you can get by, then there is no reason to ever be in a regular station except for the functions citadels can't perform (manufacturing).

Is there an advantage to a Fortizar in null-sec compared to staging in a NPC station in low-sec?

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013
With teetering you can't be station camped.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

nessin posted:

Anyone dual box burner missions? The Team Burners are easy to dual box (MWD and ECM for the win) and I'm not all that interested in the Base missions, but I'm wondering about the frigate burners if there is a cheap alternative to dual box those without needing 4 different ships all costing 200m+.

I've only done the team burners dual boxed so far, but I've done all of them with a Kestrel and a Griffin. IIRC the frigate burners have a pretty sizeable web range so it'd be a lot harder to speed tank them without just getting popped on approach before even getting into orbit/kiting distance if you're in a cheap T1 frigate.

Deofuta posted:

If you train up drones to 3 and grab a couple light drones they would also be more than capable of dealing with the jamming frigates in hisec. It would also allow you to get in on the SP daily mission :sun:

I'm training drones V now on that character actually. I don't like keeping drones set on aggressive though, and even if they're already attacking that frigate I still have to re-target my rock/whatever and F1 again. :effort:

Jazzzzz fucked around with this message at 16:15 on Jun 9, 2016

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Ynglaur posted:

Is there an advantage to a Fortizar in null-sec compared to staging in a NPC station in low-sec?

You can't be camped in, you don't need to make insta-dock bookmarks, you don't need to make cyno bookmarks, your staging thing has defenses, it's harder to pop a fort than flip a station, if you have other citadels in system you get all your stuff moved there for free.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

nessin posted:

Blitzing burners makes such disgusting amounts of isk that you won't care about those 200m+ ships in no time. I'm at a point where even undocking my alt for anything other than having it serve as a warp-in for my blitzing account feels like :effort:.

I started out with the same mindset as you and then, within a week of doing burners casually, my hangar looked like this.

It's missing a Vigilant, an Orthrus and second Garmur that sit around in the single lowsec station that my agent sends me to, because lol risk. You just accept the mission, zip over in your taxi-Dramiel, blitz the mission before anyone can scan you down, and zip back in your uncatchable Dramiel.

Eminai posted:

You can't be camped in, you don't need to make insta-dock bookmarks, you don't need to make cyno bookmarks, your staging thing has defenses, it's harder to pop a fort than flip a station, if you have other citadels in system you get all your stuff moved there for free.

Can you explain this in detail for someone that has no idea about Citadel mechanics?

Duzzy Funlop fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 9, 2016

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
explain what, most of it was already covered

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

Jazzzzz posted:

I've only done the team burners dual boxed so far, but I've done all of them with a Kestrel and a Griffin. IIRC the frigate burners have a pretty sizeable web range so it'd be a lot harder to speed tank them without just getting popped on approach before even getting into orbit/kiting distance if you're in a cheap T1 frigate.

I'm training drones V now on that character actually. I don't like keeping drones set on aggressive though, and even if they're already attacking that frigate I still have to re-target my rock/whatever and F1 again. :effort:

I did my first one with the garmur fit the other day. It was the Vengeance and i just orbited at 16750m on the Vengeance and burn the logistics and it worked great. I lost one garmur to exactly what you said before I figured it out. You get full application with 1 MGE so I'm thinking about throwing a thons multispec on there because after the first logi it's a breeze and you could burn it down in 1 jam cycle easily

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Blitzing burners makes such disgusting amounts of isk that you won't care about those 200m+ ships in no time. I'm at a point where even undocking my alt for anything other than having it serve as a warp-in for my blitzing account feels like :effort:.

I started out with the same mindset as you and then, within a week of doing burners casually, my hangar looked like this.

It's missing a Vigilant, an Orthrus and second Garmur that sit around in the single lowsec station that my agent sends me to, because lol risk. You just accept the mission, zip over in your taxi-Dramiel, blitz the mission before anyone can scan you down, and zip back in your uncatchable Dramiel.

Can you explain this in detail for someone that has no idea about Citadel mechanics?

And same with the crazy hangar. Mine is full riced out

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

When you're next to a citadel you're tethered unless you have an aggression timer or have hostile action against you(like being scrammed), which makes you invulnerable to all damage and repairs everything on your ship to boot. The tether range is really big, so this is effectively like having a station that is inside a pos bubble. This also works as a way to cyno, since you can just burn 10km away from the undock and be confident that anywhere you cyno to will still be in tether range and not bump you off the citadel. You don't need insta-docks because just warping to zero will always put you in tether range.

It's harder (imo) to pop a citadel because they have only six hours (for a fortizar, it's only 3 hours for an astrohut) of vulnerability per week, and if they successfully reinforce the citadel they have to do it two more times with 24h of downtime between each timer. This means you can have a citadel that's only vulnerable one day a week, during your primetime.

Citadels having defenses is kind of self-explanatory, but it's worth pointing out that those defenses are really good. You can relatively easily jam out one person, you get fighter squadrons, and you can put smartbombs, missiles, or ridiculously good neuts in your highs. If you have ships or items in a citadel you have the option to either automagically teleport them to another citadel in the system for free, or teleport them to a lowsec station for 10% of their value (I don't know how this is calculated or how you pay it).

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter
citadels murder the poo poo out of capitals too

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Duzzy Funlop posted:

It's more the risk of losing one to the more dicey missions where one slip up or a struggling connection could kill you (such as the Gurista Burner), and the fact that if I ever wanted to try moving into Pirate missions or SoE Sanctuary missions (I did those quite a bit during peace time and now that X-7 is mostly back to normal business I thought about doing it again) then I'd rather do it in a cheaper fashion.

Actually the Gurista Burner is the only one I'm really struggling with to find a doable pair with, because there is no combination of two ships that can apply enough damage with its speed and only the pirate faction ships can be made to survive AND catch up to the Worm before it goes full speed.

Edit:
Plus if you factor in the cost from the Blitz guide, you're close to buying a carrier and if you're spending that much you might as well just jump into Level 5s.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
Yeah I think I've lost 3 maybe 4 total to various gently caress ups totaling probably 600-800m. Still in the black

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

nessin posted:

It's more the risk of losing one to the more dicey missions where one slip up or a struggling connection could kill you (such as the Gurista Burner), and the fact that if I ever wanted to try moving into Pirate missions or SoE Sanctuary missions (I did those quite a bit during peace time and now that X-7 is mostly back to normal business I thought about doing it again) then I'd rather do it in a cheaper fashion.

Actually the Gurista Burner is the only one I'm really struggling with to find a doable pair with, because there is no combination of two ships that can apply enough damage with its speed and only the pirate faction ships can be made to survive AND catch up to the Worm before it goes full speed.

Edit:
Plus if you factor in the cost from the Blitz guide, you're close to buying a carrier and if you're spending that much you might as well just jump into Level 5s.

I'm using burners to farm up pull alts. That is my plan

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Syndic Thrass posted:

I'm using burners to farm up pull alts. That is my plan

You spend a fair amount of cash (probably 4-5 hundred mil if you want to do no farming at all) but if you want a Amarr or Caldari puller it's much easier and faster to run distribution missions in a frigate until you've got your faction standing to 1.5/2ish, then tags and COSMOS missions. I don't think you can do that with Minmatar/Gallente quite as easy so mission blitzing might be a better option there.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

nessin posted:

Edit:

I think you're making the mistake of assuming those costs are hard-capped entry barriers, but that's not really the case. I started grinding up standings on two characters with a Tengu (that gathered about 3 years worth of dust after ratting in northwestern Deklein with HAMs) and a Confessor, bought a budget-Garmur with a single faction BCS to be able to run every single anomic team mission, ground up some more standings on my alt by only running the profitable missions, and burners and turning down the burners I had no ships for yet, then bought a Worm, made some more money, bought a Hawk and a Gila for two more burner types, cashed out about a billion and change in LP and bought another Garmur, a Machariel for better blitzing and blinged out the rest of my ships with B-types, CN BCS, etc.

You can get into burners literally from the get go, you just can't run every single one from the beginning. But even the anomic team burners with a cheap Garmur yield roughly 35 million for maybe 5 minutes of effort when you're starting to set up blitzing.

At the moment, summer classes have started, so I'm not even sitting around blitzing in a dedicated fashion anymore, I'm basically logging in my blitzer, and one (soon, two) mission pulling alt, and simply looking how many burners I can get by declining one offer for free and one offer for standing hits. I usually get 2-3 burners (that compensate for the standing hit), finish them in 20 minutes, log out and do other poo poo. 70-90 million for basically no effort.
It almost feels like dailies.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Duzzy Funlop posted:

quote:

In order:

* Every citadel has a "tethering radius" that extends for 20km or so around it (indicated by the ring of lights around the citadel). If the citadel considers you friendly, once you enter the tethering radius (and are not disqualified by the conditions below), the citadel will hit you with a tethering beam. The tethering beam makes you untargetable, immune to all incoming damage, and slowly repairs any existing damage on you. This means that instadock bookmarks and cyno bookmarks aren't necessary; as soon as you appear within a certain range of the citadel, you're safe. You can still bump and coast out of the tethering radius, but that's about the only risk.

(There are actions that will prevent the citadel from tethering you, however -- if you have anything locked, have an active weapons timer, light a cyno, or are pointed by someone, it will not engage. This means that doing docking games on a citadel is risky; even if you deaggress, as long as someone has a point on you, you won't get re-tethered.)

* Defenses: On the downside, Citadels have to be manned to shoot things; they don't autoshoot the way a POS does. (Also, certain modules -- most notably, points -- are only available during vulnerability periods.) In exchange for that, they're loving nasty. They're moderately competent at popping subcaps, and they will chew through capitals like they were tissue paper. Even the smallest citadel will trivially murder 2-3 close-range dreads in the space of a single siege cycle, if it's competently fitted and manned. The preferred way to RF a citadel involves massed subcaps fighting it from at least 80km away.

* Popping a citadel requires multiple fights on a fixed objective which can fight back; flipping a station requires Fizzlesov mechanics, which are basically the opposite of interesting fights.

* If a citadel anywhere other than W-space is destroyed, your assets in that citadel are not destroyed or locked away; they go into a queue and can either be moved to any other citadel in the same solar system for free, or moved to the nearest NPC-owned station in lowsec for a small fee and a shipping delay of a week-ish.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

Thanks Eminai and Ullerm.

Speculation-time: could an organization like GSF just plaster a few dozen citadels in some null-sec systems and live out of them in relative safety? Sure, enemies could burn them down, but damage caps could make that a significant investment in time, and enemies risk losing a lot of caps if they use them.

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

Thanks Eminai and Ullerm.

Speculation-time: could an organization like GSF just plaster a few dozen citadels in some null-sec systems and live out of them in relative safety? Sure, enemies could burn them down, but damage caps could make that a significant investment in time, and enemies risk losing a lot of caps if they use them.

We tried that. The problem is you can't hide the fact that you're setting one up like you can a POS (relatively speaking). An anchoring citadel shows up on everyone's overview if configured, and there is a brief window after it finishes the anchoring period where you can't fit it and it can be killed. Kill it in that window, and you bypass all the pain with taking them down normally. Even then you really need multiple of them in one system to be capable of maintain a stable platform if you expect some to be destroyed, and that just means any citadel anchored after the first will be detected and likely dealt with pretty easily. Of course if you have the capability of defending them then its a moot point but going into that subject is why the politics/unchill thread exists.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Yeah, thanks for that info, I genuinely had no clue about citadel mechanics. I first undocked IN ANGER (to mine) after like 2 years of just doing auth stuff and going on the occasional EG fleet, so I'm behind the moon.

somnolence
Sep 29, 2011

bluegoon posted:

How does one make the best use of three different active accounts, isk wise?

Mining.

1001 Arabian dicks
Sep 16, 2013

EVE ONLINE IS MY ENTIRE PERSONALITY BECAUSE IM A FRIENDLESS SEMILITERATE LOSER WHO WILL PEDANTICALLY DEMAND PROOF FOR BASIC THINGS LIKE GRAVITY OR THE EXISTENCE OF SELF. ASK ME ABOUT CHEATING AT TARKOV BECAUSE, WELL, SEE ABOVE

ganking

-Misfit-
Apr 20, 2005

I come in the name of Jesus Christ by the power of the holy spirit Bitch!
Mining gankers

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011

Duzzy Funlop posted:

What guide are you using for this?
Im using https://docs.google.com/document/d/1knVqZEH8qFY0eT44nMEFwcKd3t4PbgcZeuv58SVUxsI/pub#h.44sinio
just curious which one you're using the gila for

nessin
Feb 7, 2010

Syndic Thrass posted:

What guide are you using for this?
Im using https://docs.google.com/document/d/1knVqZEH8qFY0eT44nMEFwcKd3t4PbgcZeuv58SVUxsI/pub#h.44sinio
just curious which one you're using the gila for

I don't know if it still is, but it used to be an option for the Ashimmu Burner (the Orthus/Onyx fit from the Blitz guide).

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Ganking Miners

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

-Misfit- posted:

Mining gankers

Comedy module idea: Ship Deconstructor Miner. Permanently depletes the hitpoints of your target and gives you random resources used to build that ship. If used to the point of ship destruction, will give you roughly 60% of the value of the target ship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Ambaire posted:

Comedy module idea: Ship Deconstructor Miner. Permanently depletes the hitpoints of your target and gives you random resources used to build that ship. If used to the point of ship destruction, will give you roughly 60% of the value of the target ship.

Originally, very originally and quickly removed, I think there was a third damage type that Lasers could do (or maybe it was Expl/Kin hybrid?) and the crystal basically retuned the laser into a disintegration beam

• Locked thread