Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
benzine
Oct 21, 2010
I just wanted a steampunk zombie story not this. Can't say I'm surprised after the first black cloud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
biba is one nasty guy

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

"You had best not do that, Avatar!"
Honestly, this is still a steampunk zombie story. Just one that is heading right into Resident Evil territory.

Which means there will be evil people using zombies and experimenting on them for their own evil ends and all that.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I mean, you can't get more zombie story than "man is the real monster."

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Remember when Mumei was awesome in episode 2? Man I miss those days.

This show being a trainwreck? Called it!

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jun 10, 2016

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I think that part of it is that zombies generally don't make good action series villains. They don't have personalities, you can't have meaningful character interplay with them, they're just endless grey hordes to be slaughtered en masse. That's less of a problem for a disaster/horror show, where the focus is on helpless characters surviving against a deadly, unknowable force of nature, but an action show is all about cool fights between relatively evenly-matched foes, and that means that there's an actual relationship between heroes and villains going on rather than just a bunch of people running and hiding in a hostile world. KNK mixed things up a little with the weapon-wielding kabane and the fused colonies to give its fights some spice, but eventually, they needed a foe who could do more than just howl and gurn at them if they wanted to give the whole affair some meaning and give the story some flavour and direction.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I am still enjoying this show...for now. I have a feeling the inevitable flashback to events that supposedly explain biebasama's motivation to bring down the shogunate will be disappointing though.

I never really liked Mumei but she has become depressingly weak in the last two eps.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
This is pretty much Reiner busting the wall open.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

I am still enjoying this show...for now. I have a feeling the inevitable flashback to events that supposedly explain biebasama's motivation to bring down the shogunate will be disappointing though.

I never really liked Mumei but she has become depressingly weak in the last two eps.

I'm assuming that he was either deliberately or accidentally abandoned during the fall of a station, and then went all Colonel Kurtz as he and his troops were cut off from civilisation for months or years. I guess the only remaining question is how much of a dick he was before that.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

benzine posted:

I just wanted a steampunk zombie story not this. Can't say I'm surprised after the first black cloud.

Have i got a book for you.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

I had high hopes that they wouldn't make Biba cartoonishly evil, even though he was menacing. I hoped maybe they would make his actions more subtle, and he'd slowly undo the forces against him like Griffith did in Berserk before some action makes him really go for broke. Instead this show introduced him and in less than 2 episodes had him do some absolutely crazy poo poo, even when he wasn't sure it would work.

It's bad pacing plus it makes him look like an idiot who was a hair away from getting killed in his own plan. This show has way nicer production values than the original Berserk anime ever had, and manages to gently caress it all up with rubbish execution.

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

Would I have been impressed if they came up with a more complex villain? Of course.

But do I honestly think this show absolutely demanded that kind of antagonist? No, I don't.

The vast majority of zombie media is not exactly known for subtlety and sympathy in its villains.

All things considered, there isn't enough time to go the subtle route...nor is that the director's preference.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

It just went from zero to sixty to me too fast, and his plan wasn't even that good. Maybe they're trying to show he's flawed and desperate despite seeming so calm and composed all the time?

I can handle some of the characters being dumb but not all of them. Pink lady with blue samurai bodyguard is the only one who seems to still have some sense.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Thete hasn't been a single subtle thing about the show so far I'm not sure why anyone would suddenly expect any.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Biba is literally calling for full Anarchy and all that it entail because he's as cartoonishly true to form as every other character.

Also, RIP buff engineer lady. Your swole will be missed :(

Lars Blitzer
Aug 17, 2004

He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink...

Dick Tracy's number one fan.

Xelkelvos posted:

Biba is literally calling for full Anarchy and all that it entail because he's as cartoonishly true to form as every other character.

Also, RIP buff engineer lady. Your swole will be missed :(

No, she's just wounded. You see the Princess bandage her on Bieber's train later on.

And I agree; Bieber's basically going full on Sephiroth here: 1) tear down the old order, 2) destroy the capital (and any other major city-states in the way,) 3) ??? 4) PROFIT!

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
1)I remember when Mumei was cool. Now she's just completely retarded.

That said,

2)I now genuinely believe and understand how Mumei could be 12. Goodness gracious, what a bad day for her.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk

Grouchio posted:

This show just pulled a goddamn Guilty Crown. What a drag.

I didn't watch beyond the first episode of Guilty Crown because I hated basically everything about it except the quality of the art, so what does this mean?

As for this show, it was never that clever in the first place, so I'm not really ever disappointed by it on an intellectual level. But it's pretty, and the action is good like when that chick with the eyebrows like the Gundam wing chick turned into a Guyver so I'm still on board, in a manner of speaking

wielder
Feb 16, 2008

OnimaruXLR posted:

I didn't watch beyond the first episode of Guilty Crown because I hated basically everything about it except the quality of the art, so what does this mean?

I don't think it's all that accurate of a remark. Guilty Crown became worse every week and almost everyone was either boring or unbearable.

Kabaneri has plenty of ups and downs, but I don't feel like they're pulling quite as much stuff out of nowhere in comparison. It's easier to accept for what it is.

I think most of what is currently happening could be predicted based on previous information and isn't out of place for this particular genre. It's not like they were pretending Biba was this great fellow for real and suddenly turned him evil, nor did they fail to previously establish that Mumei was both immature as well as naively fond of him.

wielder fucked around with this message at 07:00 on Jun 10, 2016

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Everything in this episode made logical sense and I don't have much issue with it except I didn't find the action as exciting and I was a little annoyed at how blatant it was that mumei was doing something really, really dumb. It made sense for her character but as soon as she left the room I said to myself "mumei is about to ruin everything and there won't be any semblance of anything getting in her way, either physically or intellectually." Then exactly that happened and I found myself pretty annoyed.

Even more so when mumei met up with the guy who tricked her into letting a kabane horde into the station and she weakly let him get away with it unopposed. I understand how it makes sense for her character but drat was it frustrating to watch.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I liked Mumei somehow forcing the wooden mophandle through the Kabane's chestplate. Physics just keep getting weirder.

I have to say, though, I can't really stomach Biba. "I'll liberate you from your fears and your obligations and your body- I'll liberate you from everything" or whatever was way over the top.

At the same time, though, the episode had some really good moments that were entirely too brief. I really liked the idea that the Liberators were going to escape with the engineer and master key, leaving everyone from the Koutetsujyo almost literally up poo poo creek without a paddle. Hybrid colony and the different kinds of blood in that case are fascinating in a worldbuilding sense, but that's equally frustrating since I can't help but think that we'll never learn where they came from, at least in the show.

Also, my new favorite character is the guy who hits Ikoma with a stick every time he gets too full of himself.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

a kitten posted:

Have i got a book for you.

Man that book is loving great.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
ive had a thought about biba's endgame, and while he talks big about breaking all the walls, he's not planning on destroying every single walled station, because he still needs to resupply. instead, i think he wants to break the power of the shogunate, and switch society from a defensive posture, and usher in a total foreverwar. if that accelerates the extinction of humanity, so be it: humanity did not deserve to survive

in other words, this show is calling out attack on titan as the harbingers of fascism. the logical endgoal of the scouting legion's philosophy, once they've taken over, would be to devote all energies of society towards warfare. knk's story can do this because the military difference between humans and kabane is not as great as that between humans and titans. and unlike titan, knk can weigh the stakes against the status quo, because it spends alot of screentime on civilians, and how their interests are just as legitimate as that of the soldiers. kabaneri is trying to find some middle ground, some third way, between the stagnation of the nobility, and the nihilistic seduction of fascism

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

I'd be offended if everyone didn't know how cartoonishly evil Biba was, but luckily everyone but Mumei (who is starting to get it) fully understood he was a dangerous wackadoo. Pointing a gun at his head the entire time he was in that room was the smartest thing short of not letting him inside the station to begin with. Speaking of the smartest thing to do if he doesn't kill Ikoma the first chance he gets he's a dumb idiot now that he doesn't have to keep up appearances.

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

This sounds good and I cant wait to watch this later

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ikoma is going to murder the poo poo out of him, I hope. Getting eaten by zombies is too boring an end for the Beebz.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

Fat and Useless posted:

I'd be offended if everyone didn't know how cartoonishly evil Biba was, but luckily everyone but Mumei (who is starting to get it) fully understood he was a dangerous wackadoo. Pointing a gun at his head the entire time he was in that room was the smartest thing short of not letting him inside the station to begin with. Speaking of the smartest thing to do if he doesn't kill Ikoma the first chance he gets he's a dumb idiot now that he doesn't have to keep up appearances.

i'm p sure they're gonna use ikoma and the other people as test subjects (or try to at least, what with mad doctor gone)

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Wow. That was the most ROCKS FALLS EVERYONE DIES episode of television I've seen in a long time. Maybe Umbrella was onto somethin'. Engineering a zombie apocalypse in your enemy's backyard to bring down The Man and enable revolution or crazy vengeance is kinda insanely metal.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

He went from subtle evil to cartoonishly evil to ridiculous insane fruitcake in the space of 10 minutes. Amazing.

Is this show only 12 episodes? I guess it makes sense it would speed up so much.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spiderdrake posted:

He went from subtle evil to cartoonishly evil to ridiculous insane fruitcake in the space of 10 minutes. Amazing.

Is this show only 12 episodes? I guess it makes sense it would speed up so much.

Welcome to Okouchi writing. Guy may not do subtle generally, but he especially doesn't do subtle villains. Biba was hyped up as bad news for a half-dozen episodes, and then turned out to be a Sephiroth-looking motherfucker with his own personal evil black doomtrain. No poo poo he was going to be basically Satan, just like Makoto (best character) from Guilty Crown and Cain from Valvrave.

That said, this has been a cut above his last couple of original series screenplays. Kabaneri is just brainless spectacle, while Guilty Crown and Valvrave dragged themselves down further with bizarre tonal shifts, creepy, reprehensible bullshit, and frequent, spirited attempts to make us utterly despise their main cast. This show may not be good, but it doesn't have much aggressive bad to distract from the flashy steampunk zombie-murder by its writer's recent standards.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I did like Horobi's multiple designs in this episode. That's one good thing.

Command Ant
Aug 9, 2010

I can make you
worth your weight
in gold!
That scene with the infected girl and her mother blindsided me a little more than it should have, considering what kind of show this is, but still! :stonk:

The show hasn't painted Mumei as being anything other than a naive child, albeit an incredibly powerful one, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that she blindly trusted her brother's plans to be the 'right' thing and not include wholesale slaughter.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

I wonder if she was just as blind before or if hanging around with Ikoma and crew made her forget/blank out stuff previously.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Command Ant posted:

The show hasn't painted Mumei as being anything other than a naive child, albeit an incredibly powerful one, so it shouldn't surprise anyone that she blindly trusted her brother's plans to be the 'right' thing and not include wholesale slaughter.

Just because it isn't surprising doesn't mean it isn't frustrating to watch

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Sakurazuka posted:

Thete hasn't been a single subtle thing about the show so far I'm not sure why anyone would suddenly expect any.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I think I would've been way more ok with that if they hadn't made it blatantly obvious to the audience last episode that Bieber is cartoonishly evil. If they had stayed somewhat subtle about it and had it revealed to both mumei and the audience at the same time "this guy isn't just a little funny, he's a crazy loving lunatic" I think it would have been more palatable. As is though, since we saw last episode that Bieber is a murdering rear end in a top hat with a train full of zombies, watching mumei ruin everything is just kinda frustrating, if logical.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I don't know why everyone's so surprised. Every single thing we've heard about Bieber before he even entered the scene paints him as an extreme Social Darwinist, and atrocity just comes naturally to people like that in these types of stories. Mix that in with a cocktail of daddy issues and you've got a zombie genocide just waiting to happen.

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
I love how this thread's just renamed the guy Bieber no questions asked. :allears:

And for me Mumei was actually cool and interesting for all of two episodes. The "I'LL BLINDLY DO WHATEVER MY BIG BRO TELLS ME TO" thing is not endearing in the slightest.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Mordja posted:

I don't know why everyone's so surprised. Every single thing we've heard about Bieber before he even entered the scene paints him as an extreme Social Darwinist, and atrocity just comes naturally to people like that in these types of stories. Mix that in with a cocktail of daddy issues and you've got a zombie genocide just waiting to happen.

i don't think anyone was surprised.

in fact, i'd say that's probably part of the problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CryingAthena
Nov 12, 2013
Okay, Biber could've just told Mumei "and the Koutetsujou's inside now, isn't it?" and it could have salvaged something for me. But no, Bond Villain speeches here we come.

• Locked thread