Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

DemeaninDemon posted:

I'm gonna find the people who come up with this alkalinity good acid bad poo poo and beat the gently caress out of them with a bat that says -log[H+].
Bats are 100% man-made and 100% unnatural, you'll be healthier if you just beat the gently caress out of them with a fallen branch (100% alkaline!).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

This Is the Zodiac
Feb 4, 2003

chitoryu12 posted:

E L E C T R I C B A N A N A S
Electrical banana
Is gonna be a sudden craze
Electrical banana
Is bound to be the very next phase

They call it mellow yellow (Quite rightly)

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Is this alkaline horseshit a conflation of artificial vs basic ingredients? Because gently caress you.

This makes me surprisingly irate.

Aristophanes
Aug 11, 2012

Quickly, bring me a beaker of wine, so that I may wet my mind and say something clever!
loving alkaline lemons and limes. Encouraging drinking sea water. How do they come up with this poo poo?

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer

Karate Bastard posted:

This kills the banana.

I've forgotten your reference here, but I laughed, so it's in the back of my brain closet somewhere. Please help

insta
Jan 28, 2009

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

It looks so resigned "this old crab has lived his last hacks, you kids have to go on without me"

Cichlidae
Aug 12, 2005

ME LOVE
MAKE RED LIGHT

Dr. Infant, MD

Aristophanes posted:

loving alkaline lemons and limes. Encouraging drinking sea water. How do they come up with this poo poo?

Same way "organic" came to mean what it does. Eventually, we'll have lemons sitting on shelves with green USDA "Certified Alkaline" labels.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
I read into the acid / alkaline foods thing a little one time and the "logic" is that it's not whether the food is acidic or alkaline, but the solution of the ash that's left over if you burn it. Because your body consumes the energy and then has to deal with whatever's leftover.

I'm not saying it's not horseshit of the first order (because it is) but it's not quite as stupefyingly inane as it appears.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

One Swell Foop posted:

I read into the acid / alkaline foods thing a little one time and the "logic" is that it's not whether the food is acidic or alkaline, but the solution of the ash that's left over if you burn it. Because your body consumes the energy and then has to deal with whatever's leftover.

I'm not saying it's not horseshit of the first order (because it is) but it's not quite as stupefyingly inane as it appears.

Yes, except once they established those principles they got even dumber. Spring water and seawater are neutral, but distilled water is slightly acidic. If you 'burn' spring water or seawater there may be some mineral residue, but if you 'burn' distilled water there shouldn't be anything at all left. Obviously at some point they stopped testing ash and just generalized their results based on their feelings about certain foods.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yes, except once they established those principles they got even dumber. Spring water and seawater are neutral, but distilled water is slightly acidic. If you 'burn' spring water or seawater there may be some mineral residue, but if you 'burn' distilled water there shouldn't be anything at all left. Obviously at some point they stopped testing ash and just generalized their results based on their feelings about certain foods.

But but but, you can test liquids for PH easily! This is just madness.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Kwyndig posted:

But but but, you can test liquids for PH easily! This is just madness.

Madness?

THIS

IS

LIFE HACKS

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

One Swell Foop posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's not how the body processes energy anyway, is it? Like, we don't literally burn food for energy, we move around a bunch of molecules and turn organic material into ATP, so the solution of the ash is completely meaningless.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Horrible Lurkbeast posted:

It looks so resigned "this old crab has lived his last hacks, you kids have to go on without me"

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord

Does this make the crab acidic or alkaline?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
The crab is alkaline until you cook it, at which point the 100% MAN MADE heat turns it acidic.

Haifisch has a new favorite as of 07:31 on Jun 10, 2016

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Kit Walker posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong but that's not how the body processes energy anyway, is it? Like, we don't literally burn food for energy, we move around a bunch of molecules and turn organic material into ATP, so the solution of the ash is completely meaningless.

that's what burning is

it's just moving molecules around

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Haifisch posted:

The crab is alkaline until you cook it, at which the 100% MAN MADE heat turns it acidic.
What if you wait for lightning to set a tree on fire and cook it over that?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ein cooler Typ posted:

that's what burning is

Truth. You know this to be true from the fact that all organisms poo poo straight up dust and ashes. Plants on the other hand do not burn things with oxygen but instead make oxygen from ashes, and this is why they do not poo poo ashes, in fact they do not poo poo at all!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Oh poo poo I went overboard with the exclamation points there didn't I? Oh well.

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

That's a lifehack to let people know how serious you are.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Dead serious. #deathhax #!

Btw that latter hash tag is frequently used by programmers. It is called a hash bang. That's how serious it is. It is used when they really want to tell the computer what to do. Some times they even say #!bash and that's when you know it's serious business, because it means they will bash tge computer on its head if it does it wrong (eg the FPU) and that's why the computer sometimes crashes (cshrc).

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Oh jeez it's full of stupid :psypop:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Kit Walker posted:

We don’t turn organic material to ATP. I mean, atoms in ATP came from food at one point, but “banana is transformed to ATP” isn’t an accurate picture.

Organic material just provides the energy to make ATP. The constituents of ATP were already floating around in our bodies. It’s like how coal isn’t turned to electrons in a power plant. The electrons were already in the wires, the coal (via the machinery) just gave them the energy to get moving. The coal, meanwhile, is turned to carbon dioxide and, you guess it: ash.

Ein cooler Typ posted:

that's what burning is

That too. The chemical processes of you obtaining energy from food are essentially the same as the processes as burning food, just in a controlled manner.

They’re so similar that burning foodstuffs and measuring how much heat is produced is how we come up with the Calorie/kilojoule figure for nutritional information.

The ash pH thing is still bullshit, though. Your body doesn’t just dump ash into your bloodstream, and besides, your body has ways of controlling the pH of its various fluids.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

ima Dagron ask me bout eatin ash:smaug:

P.s.

FFT posted:

Madness?

THIS

IS

LIFE HACKS

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol

axolotl farmer posted:

The child's rictus grin implies the dawning realization that her sock-phone call with a lawyer to change her last name to "oh god, anything but Clum" may in fact be farcical

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Oh yeah, like how socks melt when you put them in the dryer. We've all experienced that. I don't know why you'd even need the warning. In fact, I don't know why coloured socks are even sold at all! It's weird how that doesn't happen to other clothes though.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat

Platystemon posted:

We don’t turn organic material to ATP. I mean, atoms in ATP came from food at one point, but “banana is transformed to ATP” isn’t an accurate picture.

Organic material just provides the energy to make ATP. The constituents of ATP were already floating around in our bodies. It’s like how coal isn’t turned to electrons in a power plant. The electrons were already in the wires, the coal (via the machinery) just gave them the energy to get moving. The coal, meanwhile, is turned to carbon dioxide and, you guess it: ash.

That too. The chemical processes of you obtaining energy from food are essentially the same as the processes as burning food, just in a controlled manner.

They’re so similar that burning foodstuffs and measuring how much heat is produced is how we come up with the Calorie/kilojoule figure for nutritional information.

The ash pH thing is still bullshit, though. Your body doesn’t just dump ash into your bloodstream, and besides, your body has ways of controlling the pH of its various fluids.

No. Stop that. Bad Platystemon. This is not the right place to go around spreading information.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum

ima Dagron ask me bout eatin ash:smaug:

P.s.

Dragons eat treasure not ash

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

moist turtleneck posted:

Dragons eat treasure not ash

So a dragon on its hoard is just like that picture of a person in a bathtub full of Cheetos?

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

wastedeffort.jpg

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

I think carving a dragon banana is a much more respectable use of time than carving the mold for a dragon dildo.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out
Hot packs are really helpful for relieving the pain of ear infections. Tiny seed of truth around which a pearl of lifehack idiocy is formed.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

At least the people using the salt pack aren't using an ear canal candle:gonk:

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

axolotl farmer posted:

Oh yes, let an rear end in a top hat twist your child's still growing spine and neck to stop ear infections, I'm sure the chance you'll have a stroke is worth not dealing with a minor inconvenience that usually goes away as your child's immune system gets stronger.

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

"Who couldn't use a little more magic in their life -- especially when their baby is suffering with an ear ache?"

You're... you're right, Dr. Clum. Knowing the proven science behind my child's treatment would only fill me with existential dread. I will leave little Dylan's fate to the Winds of Change. Fly free on the Winds, Dylan! Let your salty ears carry you to safety

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

At least the people using the salt pack aren't using an ear canal candle:gonk:

I got pressured into those by my Mom when I had clogged ears and it was incredibly pointless and dangerous. She and the candlers were ooing and ahhing at the wax curling out of the cone, even though I told them that I wasn't feeling any different at all (and later Googling proved that it was just the candle wax). The woman shoving the cone in my ear also came very close to hitting my eardrum on the second session. After researching it, I'm very lucky I didn't get set on fire.