Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Pappyland posted:

I highly recommend Cannabis: A History by Martin Booth . It's a good history without devolving into useless conjecture/over focus on counter culture.

Thanks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

For anyone wanting a very up-to-the-minute explanation of DC weed, Fusion just put out a 1hr documentary about DC's very odd legal gray area, including the famous "Kush God" franchise with the leaf-painted cars parked on busy public streets that will accept your donation to their NGO, make you sign a waiver saying you expect nothing back, and wouldn't ya know it within a block of walking away from the car some nice stranger tends to walk up and hand you weed.

Just got back to DC after a year in Africa and cannabis is just all over the place here, but nobody seems too bothered by it.

http://fusion.net/story/304814/marijuana-washington-documentary/

When I was in Nigeria, "Indian Hemp" had a huge goddamn stigma and I had to stay on the down-low lest my reputation be ruined.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Aliquid posted:

When I was in Nigeria, "Indian Hemp" had a huge goddamn stigma and I had to stay on the down-low lest my reputation be ruined.

My work represents people accused of misdemeanors in Tunisia, and their weed laws ('zatla' laws) are pretty brutal. You can be found with a joint, or even just with a joint on the ground near you, and get a practically automatic one year term. At least it's not the death penalty like some places. But we do get a lot more weed cases there than in the Middle Eastern or Asian countries where we work, so it seems like its use is relatively prevalent in Tunisia despite the laws.

It sucks so hard that global prohibition was driven by the very countries that are now the first to loosen up. It won't be enough for us to liberalize our own laws, we have some worldwide damage control to do.

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Spoondick posted:

Ok. Let's assume marijuana causes mass shootings. Over 100 million Americans have consumed marijuana, so maybe you can finesse some sort of correlations out of that massive loving data set. There's still the issue that over 100 million Americans have consumed marijuana despite over 70 years of marijuana prohibition. Marijuana prohibition clearly failed. Advocating for more prohibition is advocating for more failure. Failure that costs taxpayers enormous sums of money, wastes law enforcement resources and destroys families. End the failure instead.

You don't debate your crazy uncle, you tell him to leave.

KingEup fucked around with this message at 03:44 on May 29, 2016

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I forgot if I'd posted in this thread earlier about the current state of DC but they have places that will deliver a bottle of fancy juice to you, for the low cost of $50, and hey thanks for being a customer, here's a eighth for free.

So far no ones cracked down on them to my awareness because they're not just flagrantly out there like the Kush Gods were, and I presume it'll stay that way unless one if the juice sales goes bad.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

For anyone wanting a very up-to-the-minute explanation of DC weed, Fusion just put out a 1hr documentary about DC's very odd legal gray area, including the famous "Kush God" franchise with the leaf-painted cars parked on busy public streets that will accept your donation to their NGO, make you sign a waiver saying you expect nothing back, and wouldn't ya know it within a block of walking away from the car some nice stranger tends to walk up and hand you weed.

Just got back to DC after a year in Africa and cannabis is just all over the place here, but nobody seems too bothered by it.

http://fusion.net/story/304814/marijuana-washington-documentary/

haha its like they're taking a note from campaign financing.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

SgtScruffy posted:

I forgot if I'd posted in this thread earlier about the current state of DC but they have places that will deliver a bottle of fancy juice to you, for the low cost of $50, and hey thanks for being a customer, here's a eighth for free.

So far no ones cracked down on them to my awareness because they're not just flagrantly out there like the Kush Gods were, and I presume it'll stay that way unless one if the juice sales goes bad.

There's gotta be some percentage of trust-fund millionaire-kids that don't even blink at a $50 bottle of juice and don't want the weed. There's gotta be.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

SgtScruffy posted:

*cop somberly looks down at bloody corpse, squats down beside, takes out bic pen and gently lifts bottle out of clenched fist*

"Grapefruit-ginger-kale, fresh made this morning"

*sadly shakes head*

"he never had a chance..."

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Kasich signed MMJ into law this week, medical will now become legal in Ohio, 25th state to do so. Apparently the GOP explicitly admitted they pushed it through since they don't want an MMJ initiative on the ballot this November.

NV all set to vote on full Legal in November, but a major LV newspaper came out editorializing against weed today. NV would just look lovely on a map as part of a cohesive bloc of free states.

Legalization the last two years has been much slower than dreamed but way better than feared (VT still taking its sweet time...) so progress in the dialectic looks inexorable.

Anyone got a good rundown of other November votes?

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jun 9, 2016

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Missouri didn't get enough signatures to be 100% sure we got enough to put it on the ballot due to invalid signatures but still enough that we have a fighting chance, so we're at the wait and pray stage.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Arizona gave up.

Montana is loosening MMJ restrictions, but that's about it.

I don't think there's anything else that's too major and unexpected.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

computer parts posted:

Arizona gave up.

Montana is loosening MMJ restrictions, but that's about it.

I don't think there's anything else that's too major and unexpected.

Hold up, isn't it that one of two AZ campaigns gave up, and the MPP one is going strong and the losing grassroots one is pledging to undermine the MPP one?

NV is voting on legal, and isn't MA voting on legal too in Nov?

And OH and PA just went medical.

Dattserberg
Dec 30, 2005

National champion, Heisman winner, King crab enthusiast
Michigan's was effectively sunk by the R-controlled government. The legalization movement plans to sue

http://www.mlive.com/news/index.ssf/2016/06/pro-marijuana_ballot_petitione.html

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Hold up, isn't it that one of two AZ campaigns gave up, and the MPP one is going strong and the losing grassroots one is pledging to undermine the MPP one?

Yeah, it's pretty classic "Judean People's Front" behavior:

quote:

And, as Medar and other supporters have long threatened, AZFMR is launching a "vote no" campaign against its most-hated enemy: the well-funded Campaign to Regulate Marijuana Like Alcohol in Arizona, which is backed by the national Marijuana Policy Project and local dispensaries.

The CRMLA, in contrast to AZFMR, tapped into a budget of nearly $1 million to run a standard campaign with paid petition gatherers and is on target to make the November ballot.

Although the Marijuana Policy Project brought Arizona voters the 2010 Medical Marijuana Act and Colorado's 2012 recreational-cannabis law, AZFMR supporters say the MPP-backed bill represents "fake" legalization because it features less-permissive rules than the AZFMR plan.

AZFMR's measure, the Campaign to Legalize and Regulate Marijuana, was similar to the CRMLA in that both would set up a new government agency to oversee a system of cannabis retail stores, and both would legalize possession of personal amounts of live plants or cannabis products. They started out as the same bill, actually, but Medar and the more-hardcore cannabis supporters split with MPP last year and created their own initiative. The measures wound up with key differences: For instance, AZFMR offered licenses for up to 1,500 retail stores statewide (instead of the CRMLA's 150 or so), had no possession limits for marijuana grown in the home, and reduced legal penalties for black-market cannabis dealers.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

While that's a significant difference between the two laws, even a 4-5 plant-per-household maximum would annihilate the black market.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I had been hoping for a 2014-style blowout this year, but that's not at all in the cards. AZ is divided by internal weed politics, CA similar is my understanding; schisms between the pragmatics, hardcore no-limits libertarians, and medical folks defending their niche. ME has similar, with the medical folks tut-tutting about recreational, agonizing about MPP's plan not respecting Maine's grand tradition of cutesy mom-and-pop shops and town hall meetings. MI has weed folks filing a lawsuit to not get pushed off the ballot for procedural reasons; is MI at all actually a weed contorversy or are the Rs mainly concerned about voter turnout on a presidential year? And MA is looking waffly and vague on the ballot, NV unclear but I'm optimistic, and RI and VT (who don't do ballot initiatives) are both just dicking around right on the margins of legalization but not making the jump yet.

At this point I have no expectations of a pro-weed blowout, but as long as we don't get completely skunked (:rimshot:) I'd say we're still on a roll.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
CA will pass, I'm 99% sure of that. NV has a pretty good chance, like you said. AZ might go either way, especially since it's a presidential year. The others I never expected to win. Marijuana is very much a Western US topic, and it reflects the more Libertarian streak of the area (versus the East that has more of a Moral Imperative theme going on).

Obvious exception being the Mormons of course, but I expect if it gets lucrative enough they'll have a similar "revelation" that they did in the 70s when they had to let black people become priests.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

computer parts posted:

CA will pass, I'm 99% sure of that.

This has been said in the past.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Last polling I saw was ~60% in favor, it's not a midterm election, and they have three regional states they can point to and say "the apocalypse hasn't come there".

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

Yeahbuttal: go back enough pages in this thread and you'll find smart folks declaring that no state will ever legalize. Then later saying no weed store in CO or WA will be open for a full business day without federal stormtroopers repelling through the windows.

I'm not putting all hopes on CA this year, but I'm 90% sure slow progress towards nationwide legal is inexorable in the US at this point. The opposition is dying off or pragmatically dodging the issue, our biggest threat like MLK said is the White Moderates. The dicks such as are common in MA saying "oh gee whilikers it's just too early to say if reefer will turn Colorado into a post-apocalyptic wasteland, I support legalization in theory but let's just keep arresting folks and wasting tax dollars for a few decades and watch how CO and WA work out."

objects in mirror
Apr 9, 2016

by Shine

computer parts posted:

Marijuana is very much a Western US topic, and it reflects the more Libertarian streak of the area (versus the East that has more of a Moral Imperative theme going on).

Indeed, this is something I only recently begun to appreciate, especially since a traditionally liberal states like New Jersey and NYC continue to be resistant to medical marijuana let alone recreational. The push-back from some state politicians in MA to the ballot question has been ridiculous.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
MA opposition getting just silly.

quote:

Scheft additionally argued that voters were being misled by a claim that legalization of recreational marijuana would not impact the state’s medical marijuana program, which voters approved in 2012. In fact, he said, it could allow nonprofit medical pot outlets to begin selling the drug commercially.

“When this law passes, the voters need to know that the medical marijuana dispensary that gives something to a cancer patient … is automatically going to have picture windows and neon signs, a candy counter and a THC Slurpy machine,” Scheft said.

A second lawsuit heard by the court Wednesday claims it is misleading to use the term “marijuana legalization” to describe the measure, because it would only make pot legal for some residents — those over age 21 — and only in smaller quantities.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

"THC Slurpy machine"

We don't even have these in WA.

It's bullshit.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Jesus Christ

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Pyroxene Stigma posted:

We don't even have these in WA.

It's bullshit.

Though it has (thus far) been impossible to top the stern warning from the DEA officer for Colorado who warned of an uptick in dogs dying, because your dogs will eat your weed brownies you see. Not that the weed is that dangerous itself, but it might slow the dog's metabolism and make it harder for them to sick up the chocolate and then they'd die and you'd be a MURDERER YOU HIPPIE STONER!!!

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
Its misleading the voters not to let them know about this thing I am going to make up!

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
My favorite part was "well you can't call it legalization because there are age restrictions!"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

THC Slurpy machine

I would think a THC horchata machine would be better, yet I still have an intense interest in this.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem
Are the CA mmj powerhouses fighting against legalization this time? I really don't get why they care, in Colorado it was the mmj monopolies that got first dibs on everything, and it still seems like they all pretty much run the recreational show to this day.

I wish Hillary would adopt a federal legalization stance. There are left wing Colorado voters out here that think she will roll back everything and try and end all the legalization efforts by suing the state -- mostly due to the DNC platform and Debbie's stance I guess?

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

thats not candy posted:

I wish Hillary would adopt a federal legalization stance. There are left wing Colorado voters out here that think she will roll back everything and try and end all the legalization efforts by suing the state -- mostly due to the DNC platform and Debbie's stance I guess?

Hasn't she already said that she supports state-level legalization initiatives? Sure she's taken the milquetoast 'wait and see' stance, but she hasn't given any indication that she'd try to roll back legalization.

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Jun 11, 2016

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

showbiz_liz posted:

Hasn't she already said that she supports state-level legalization initiatives? Sure she's taken the milquetoast 'wait and see' stance, but she hasn't given any indication that she'd try to roll back legalization.

And plus, if your traditional Democratic powerhouses aren't willing to support legalization, there's no reason to assume it'd go any better at the national level.

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

showbiz_liz posted:

Yes, but to a bunch of left wing stoners and other students I interact with daily, they simply do not believe her. Hillary has trust issues, so that milquetoast white moderate stance isn't nearly as effective.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

thats not candy posted:

Yes, but to a bunch of left wing stoners and other students I interact with daily, they simply do not believe her. Hillary has trust issues, so that milquetoast white moderate stance isn't nearly as effective.

If she came out tomorrow and said "I'll legalize weed on day one of my presidency," this type of person still wouldn't believe her - they're just invested in not believing her.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

showbiz_liz posted:

If she came out tomorrow and said "I'll legalize weed on day one of my presidency," this type of person still wouldn't believe her - they're just invested in not believing her.

Yep, we know this already since people think she's in bed with health insurance companies.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

showbiz_liz posted:

I dont believe her now but would probably believe she would support state rights on the matter if she said that. That sort of statement in this sort of environment would demonstrate a willingness to expend political capital on the issue.

Right now I feel like whatever shes saying about the issue, she is just going to go with whatever the party decides for her here even if it is opposed because she really doesnt care one way or the other and would be willing to spend effort on it

thats not candy
Mar 10, 2010

Hell Gem

showbiz_liz posted:

Quite frankly I do not think that is the case in a lot of the young voters I talk to. A strong commitment to a legalization stance would go a long way to appease some of these voters. The wishy-washy wait and see poo poo is what bothers them, being dumb single issue voters and all.

I understand the political realities elsewhere in the country, but we just had her major primary competitor adopt a strong legalization stance. I feel like the traditional democratic powerhouses are simply waiting for her to change her stance, not the other way around.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

GlyphGryph posted:

I dont believe her now but would probably believe she would support state rights on the matter if she said that. That sort of statement in this sort of environment would demonstrate a willingness to expend political capital on the issue.

Right now I feel like whatever shes saying about the issue, she is just going to go with whatever the party decides for her here even if it is opposed because she really doesnt care one way or the other and would be willing to spend effort on it

Here's what she's said.

2015: "I do support the use of medical marijuana, and I think even there we need to do a lot more research so that we know exactly how we're going to help people for whom medical marijuana provides relief. So, I think we're just at the beginning, but I agree completely with the idea that we have got to stop imprisoning people who use marijuana. Therefore, we need more states, cities, and the federal government to begin to address this so that we don't have this terrible result of a huge population in our prisons for nonviolent, low-level offenses that are primarily due to marijuana."

2014: "On recreational, you know, states are the laboratories of democracy. We have at least two states that are experimenting with that right now. I want to wait and see what the evidence is."

And her official platform:

"Hillary believes we need an approach to marijuana that includes:

-Allowing states that have enacted marijuana laws to act as laboratories of democracy, as long as they adhere to certain federal priorities such as not selling to minors, preventing intoxicated driving, and keeping organized crime out of the industry.

-Rescheduling marijuana from a Schedule I to a Schedule II substance. Hillary supports medical marijuana and would reschedule marijuana to advance research into its health benefits."

It would be cool if she made a speech on this issue now, but it's not as if she's failed to make her position clear. I obviously favor totally descheduling it and legalizing it federally, but this platform is a drat sight better than any other major presidential platform on the issue in history.

showbiz_liz fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jun 11, 2016

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

MA opposition getting just silly.

I really want a THC slurpy now

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Florida will hopefully pass this time around. I haven't dug into the differences in this bill vs the last, but this time it doesn't have millions being ran against it by Sheldon Adelson, it's not a mid term election, and trump/bernie/hilary supporters are all pretty much pro-pot. It failed last time by less than 2%, but once again relying on potheads to vote is a failing proposition.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

That's the 60-40 poo poo, right?

• Locked thread