Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Bud posted:

I feel like I've seen people unloading the old mspnp's for cheap. I tend to notice since I have one and like to keep track of what I should expect if I try to sell it, and my first though is uggh not much.
You might as well just sell it to me if you're already going to take a bath on it.

It can join the other Megasquirts in my basement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Yeah I was just gonna say the same thing, if you wanna unload it for cheap I'll give you $5 more than Seat Safety Switch.

Just curious though, how much improvement does it make on a 1.8 vs. a 1.6? Is it even worth going that route on a BP?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
You'll gain a bunch of torque mostly.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

What's curious to me though is if you're getting rid of the AFM, how does the MS measure the amount of air going in?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

leica posted:

What's curious to me though is if you're getting rid of the AFM, how does the MS measure the amount of air going in?

Some MS have an onboard MAP sensor, otherwise you would add a GM MAP sensor (for steady-state airflow) and use the existing TPS (for tip-in enrichment).

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ethanol posted:

How hard is doing a top replacement on an nc, this guy wants over 1k to do it

I don't know specifically about on the NC, but it's generally several hours of labor, and >$1k just for that alone sounds like way too much, even if he's an expert. Maybe look for someone to do it for half that or less.

The consensus has been that it's possible to DIY, especially if you have help, over a weekend, but it's a pain in the rear end and is probably worth it to pay someone else to do it. Not $1k though.

destructo
Apr 29, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Some MS have an onboard MAP sensor, otherwise you would add a GM MAP sensor (for steady-state airflow) and use the existing TPS (for tip-in enrichment).
Emilio has noted that even MAF removal on later years yields gains. I don't think anyone runs an aftermarket MAF on Miata Megasquirt setups. No point (1.6 cars will need to upgrade the tps, but even MAP-based AE is decent).

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

BADGES? WE DON'T NEED NO STINKIN' BADGES!
Assuming this doesn't have a limited slip, what's a fair price for this?
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/5623693302.html

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
There's a good chance it does have the limited slip, but the 95 is a bastard year. Power mirrors and the alloys point to "yes", but YMMV.

The car looks OK from the back. If he has documentation for all of the work and the soft top is in good repair, I'd feel OK at $4500. The next maintenance window will be nothing but oil changes until you need to do the spark plugs and wires.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
What's up fellow midget-car drivers!

I sold my 89 miata 2 years ago, and got a 99 miata last month!

So my first question. How do you replace the side rear view mirror?

I mean, just SUPPOSING somebody was backing out of their garage in their badass new miata and didn't look around well enough and now it's cracked, and the motorized controller will move the mirror up, down, and left, but not right. I'm guessing that's probably not a good thing at all.

Is it as easy as buying the replacement and just changing a few screws? Or am I looking at door disassembly and/or paying somebody not to screw up my car?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug
It's pretty easy. Just gently pry up the plastic base at the hole on the bottom and then there are two (cheesy but workable) screws beneath.

Germans make a nice aftermarket set.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Phone posted:

There's a good chance it does have the limited slip, but the 95 is a bastard year.
How so?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The pigtail will be in the door, if I remember correctly. Disassembling the door panel trim isn't too bad, it's a bit nerve racking, but patience will pay dividends.

If you have manual windows, you can get the circlip out by catching it on a shop rag and then the handle will pop right off. Interior clips are interior clips, go slow. The vapor barrier is held on with tar, just go slow.

The mirror is attached with two bolts that are accessible by folding the mirror in/out by hand.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

OBD1/2 split, as well as...

The removal of a real oil pressure gauge, different coils from the later coils (300 vs 100 for a coil pack), I think the CAS is the same though between all 1.8s, coin flip's chance of having 2 piece axles (which are largely unavailable, you have to send in your own core), etc etc.

The trim packages also changed, so determining a Torsen is a PITA unless if you pull it apart. For the 94s, they had A, B, C, R. Outside of the R, if you had power mirrors and a 5-speed, you had the Torsen.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

Phone posted:

OBD1/2 split, as well as...

The removal of a real oil pressure gauge, different coils from the later coils (300 vs 100 for a coil pack), I think the CAS is the same though between all 1.8s, coin flip's chance of having 2 piece axles (which are largely unavailable, you have to send in your own core), etc etc.

The trim packages also changed, so determining a Torsen is a PITA unless if you pull it apart. For the 94s, they had A, B, C, R. Outside of the R, if you had power mirrors and a 5-speed, you had the Torsen.

Thanks for the info. Nothing sounds too crippling. I'm going to take a look at it and perhaps offer around 4000.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Speaking of '95's...

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/cto/5617906535.html

It's kind of ratty but less ratty than the average NA. Would want to go back to an airbag wheel and clean up some other things, but it's the right color combo and has LSD...

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

Kinda ratty? That thing looks like it's in great shape.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
Horn was cut and moved to strange gigantic chrome button on side of steering column, oil leak, ignition switch is dying, needs new top, no spare, weird luggage rack, etc...

All in all nothing that's that hard to resolve, but stuff that will have to be resolved nonetheless...

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I realized I want to break my sacred vow and make a mod *shudders* to my nc. Paint those drat roll bar plastic cover loop things black instead of silver. I hope my performance won't be impact too much

Great Beer
Jul 5, 2004

ethanol posted:

I realized I want to break my sacred vow and make a mod *shudders* to my nc. Paint those drat roll bar plastic cover loop things black instead of silver. I hope my performance won't be impact too much

Don't do it man, think of the potential negative impact on your drag coefficient!

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

ethanol posted:

Just do a vinyl wrap.

blk
Dec 19, 2009
Am I correct that you can't get leather seats and a LSD together in the ND?

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002

blk posted:

Yup =(

Want anything cool? Lose the LSD.

Don't want the Touchscreen? Sucks, no LSD for you.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Does anyone make glass headlights for the NC?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

blk posted:

You can, just not a USDM car. If you want to get saucy, go spec out a Canadian market one and import it.

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

willroc7 posted:

Thanks for the info. Nothing sounds too crippling. I'm going to take a look at it and perhaps offer around 4000.
Well I went and checked out the car. It's in pretty darn good shape, save for a few dings and scratches commensurate with age. It's been garaged its entire life and the retiree owner had a thick folder of maintenance records. There was just the faintest hint of rust starting on the driver's side front rocker with some bubbling on the surface, but otherwise rust-free. Is there any avoiding or correcting paint fade on the plastic front bumper and rear trunk area between the tail lights? They were getting pretty orange, particularly the rear. In any event, I offered $4000 and he seemed to think it was a low, but is checking with his wife (her car) and should be getting back to me today. He didn't counter at all, which I thought was odd. I would probably do as high as 42 or 44...

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
If the maintenance is up to date, you're saving on about ~$600 worth of various maintenance bits across the entire car (plus the time); that's a part of the reason why I said 4.5k is a reasonable offer since you'd have to do the maintenance anyways. I'm not sure if the 95 solid color cars are still single stage or not, but you might be able to salvage the paint on those plastic body panels with a polisher and some time.

e: I'm p confident that solid color cars (white, black, red, blue, etc) are all single stage, which means that you can do stuff like this:

Phone fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Jun 8, 2016

willroc7
Jul 24, 2006

What sorcery is this?

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

See the detailing thread. You're removing the top oxidized layer of paint (since there's no clear coat) and it's like having fresh paint underneath. Single stage paint can come back from the dead pretty easily.

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Yes miatas are single stage paint unless yours was screwed up by a previous owner like mine was. NAs anyway.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
I think most the Ms had clear coat.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
All of the Ms are Something Something Mica, which isn't a solid color.

Montego Blue Mica
Merlot Mica
Starlight Blue Mica
Marina Green Mica

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm thinking of selling or storing my NA and picking up a NC PRHT. I'm too tall for my NA, even with foamectomy, and the seats are aggravating a back injury I have. I wouldn't sit lower in an aftermarket seat so I haven't pursued that. The NC has comfier seats and is better for people my size (6'1 with tall torso), and I also like the idea of the PRHT.

This came up today and I'm not crazy about the color combo but it otherwise looks good and better priced than other PRHTs I've seen. https://portland.craigslist.org/clk/cto/5627235149.html

The last time I drove an NC I remember it feeling very muted compared to an NA. Is there anyway to liven up the feel a bit and make it a little more fun like the old cars?

GEMorris
Aug 28, 2002

Glory To the Order!
I love my NC PRHT and daily it. That car you linked isn't a bad price, but I would really suggest getting an 09 or newer. Quality of life interior upgrades as well as gearing improvements for the 6-speed.

Edit: I didn't see the miles. For that price and condition I might actually be fine with an NC1.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finally have startup tuned properly and it's amazing how much more fun the miata is when I don't have to bring a laptop everywhere just in case.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I want a phrt just so when somebody says nice car at a stoplight I can press a button and raise the top while staring forward silently

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
Yeah, but it's a Miata so who's going to say that to you?

Back when I had a MK3 Supra I used to hear "Nice Probe!" all the time ;_;

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
For me it's middle aged dudes in pickup trucks offering to buy my car for their wife.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

ethanol posted:

I want a phrt just so when somebody says nice car at a stoplight I can press a button and raise the top while staring forward silently

I read that as "phart." :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

Nocheez posted:

Yeah, but it's a Miata so who's going to say that to you?

Back when I had a MK3 Supra I used to hear "Nice Probe!" all the time ;_;

it's mostly sarcastic people with a red sox bumpersticker