Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Demiurge4 posted:

It's kind of politics 101. If you know that poo poo is about to hit the fan, if you are absolutely certain that it loving will, you don't want to be the one in charge when it does. It's lovely but they probably believe they have a better shot picking up the pieces than they have taking over the house of cards the day before it tumbles and have the PSUV pin it all on them.

This level of disaster, though?

...I guess it's plausible, but dang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

Old James posted:

Please humor my fake numbers in the scenario below....

Venezuela has very little domestic production and pretty much has to trade oil for all consumer and industrial goods. Five years ago oil was expensive and for every 5 barrels exported, Venezuela could import 1 car. Since then the price of oil has dropped so now it takes 50 barrels of oil to import that same car. So with the same amount of oil production the country is only able to import 1/10th the number of cars as it did 5 years ago. That scarcity is driving inflation, if you want/need a new car you are going to have to pay a premium to get one now. Add on to the impact of cheap oil the government's mishandling of the oil industry. They sacked the skilled labor that ran the drilling rigs, refineries, and operations and unsurprisingly production volumes plummeted.

So 5 years ago Venezuela produced 5,000,000 barrels of oil and imported 1,000,000 cars. Today they produce 1,000,000 barrels of oil and import 20,000 cars. So a car's price has gone up 50,000%

Venezuela used to be quite self sufficient but Chavez killed all production with his stupid projects and now importing goods has become a business for the PSUV so they no incentives to promote local production and that's why we are in our current predicament.

Saladman
Jan 12, 2010

Old James posted:

Please humor my fake numbers in the scenario below....

So 5 years ago Venezuela produced 5,000,000 barrels of oil and imported 1,000,000 cars. Today they produce 1,000,000 barrels of oil and import 20,000 cars. So a car's price has gone up 50,000%

I'd never thought about it like that before, that makes a lot of sense. But if this is the primary driver of inflation, doesn't that mean that inflation should be stabilizing pretty much by now, given that oil prices are stable / mildly increasing and oil exports are more or less constant? I've seen projections for like 720% inflation projected for 2016, but that doesn't seem to match your described scenario unless it's so time-delayed that the effects take 2+ years to play out (certainly possible, I'm not an economist).

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

Saladman posted:

I'd never thought about it like that before, that makes a lot of sense. But if this is the primary driver of inflation, doesn't that mean that inflation should be stabilizing pretty much by now, given that oil prices are stable / mildly increasing and oil exports are more or less constant? I've seen projections for like 720% inflation projected for 2016, but that doesn't seem to match your described scenario unless it's so time-delayed that the effects take 2+ years to play out (certainly possible, I'm not an economist).

I'm not an economist, but something tells me with food being among these scarce imports, and it being among the most inelastic goods in existence, and constantly rising black market prices might be causing pressure outside the egobound world the PSUV inhabits.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
There was a ton of unrest yesterday in Petare, which is a barrio in the eastern part of the Caracas.

It started in the early afternoon with the looting of a meat truck in the area:

https://twitter.com/Imag3n/status/740970386955898884

That seemed to trigger a bit of a looting spree, but I think businesses were quick enough going into lockdown that I don't think any were looted:

https://twitter.com/Imag3n/status/740969561877536768

The unrest lasted all through the afternoon and into the evening. By around 7:00 PM, there were violent confrontations between Petare residents and authorities. In this video, you can see National Guard soldiers on the receiving end of a molotov cocktail:

https://twitter.com/RCamachoVzla/status/741046621270646784

By about 9:00 PM, the situation appeared to be under the control of the authorities, who showed up in force:

There's a lot of anxiety whenever there is news that there's unrest in a barrio because there's widespread belief that any successful revolt against the government needs the involvement of the poorer sections of Caracas. There's always a bit of a media frenzy whenever there's a protest in Petare or 23 de Enero because people start to wonder, "Is this it? Is it happening now?!".

There's a really interesting expression that you hear whenever there's talk of unrest in a barrio: "Los cerros estan bajando" [literally, "the hills are coming down"]. The expression comes from the fact that the poorer areas of Caracas tend to be located on one of the city's surrounding mountains.

Saladman posted:

Inflation is also being caused by the fact that the PSUV is printing money at an increasing rate. There's a flood of money hitting the streets with no corresponding value. I think a good example of what this means is a story from back in April that said that Venezuela was printing so much money that it couldn't afford to pay for it.

This link contains a chart that shows the number of bills in circulation. In 2012, there are about 1.25 million bills in circulation; in 2014, just over 1.5 million. That number has increased exponentially since then, and there were 4.75 million bills in circulation in 2015. There has been no value produced in that period of time to "attach" to these new bills, which is helping to drive up inflation.

BeigeJacket
Jul 21, 2005

Thank you for the replies earlier re: Mendoza.

Another question that I've been wondering about. What does the average Venezuelans diet look like these days? Are there fresh fruits and vegetables? Did you run out of beer yet?

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
1kg of meat is about Bs. 5000, two dozen eggs is about Bs. 3000, 1 liter of milk is about Bs. 1500 and the average Venezuelan earns about Bs. 15000 a month, you can imagine what their diet looks like.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BeigeJacket posted:

Another question that I've been wondering about. What does the average Venezuelans diet look like these days? Are there fresh fruits and vegetables? Did you run out of beer yet?

There's a meme going around about Mangoes. Mangoes all day every day, which is not too far from the truth since they grow naturally everywhere around Venezuela.

My friends who just arrived recently told us a bit about it. It's as bad as you'd expect, families are eating one actual meal a day, then maybe leftovers. The quantities are also pitiful since if you eat 2 cups of rice today, you might not be able to find rice for the rest of the week. So you eat 1/4 then save the rest.

When we were trying to send stuff for my mom I remember asking her "do you want money? I can send money". Her reply was "no, I have money, but there's nothing to buy. Send food please!"

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
I mean there's still food but its just that most people can't afford it, I went to an upscale supermarket yesterday and every shelf was full with all sorts of things but they were all prohibitively expensive.

fnox
May 19, 2013

BeigeJacket posted:

It's prohibitively expensive to eat 3 times a day, I'm relatively well off and I don't eat 3 times a day. Most folk legitimately eat mangos during the day to cope a bit with the hunger, often just having whatever for breakfast, then lunch, then nothing else until tomorrow. Lunch is usually whatever you can find, be it pasta, chicken, rice. For breakfast, I eat cereal without milk since it's rather cheap and still plentifully available because it's not regulated, but I eat arepas whenever there's corn flour, which is like once a month.

Labradoodle
Nov 24, 2011

Crax daubentoni
Welp, apparently my signature is invalid, as well as Capriles' own. Those motherfuckers.

MothraAttack
Apr 28, 2008
I feel like on the Venezuelan social media accounts I follow I've seen a huge uptick in food looting over the past ~48 hours. Is that just me or does it reflect reality on the ground?

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

MothraAttack posted:

I feel like on the Venezuelan social media accounts I follow I've seen a huge uptick in food looting over the past ~48 hours. Is that just me or does it reflect reality on the ground?

There were 81 looting attempts/looting events in all of May, up from 41 in April. May saw the most looting since the start of the year, and this month seems to be on track for setting a new record.

I suspect that part of the reason why we are seeing more reports of looting is not only because there may indeed be more looting events taking place, but also because they're taking place is more highly populated areas. Caracas had at least two looting events yesterday and one so far today. It's only been relatively recently that looting has become commonplace in Caracas.

Labradoodle posted:

Welp, apparently my signature is invalid, as well as Capriles' own. Those motherfuckers.

Did you accidently sign your name as "Lebreduudla"? You know those calligraphy experts the CNE hired to verify the signatures take their job very seriously.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Labradoodle posted:

Well, I'm just listening to Tibisay saying that the process was 'impeccable', so clearly you must have screwed up somehow. You know, along with 600 thousand other people.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Labradoodle posted:

Shoulda checked to make sure the form you signed said "Distrito Capital" instead of "Distrito Federal". So really, if you think about it, it's your own fault!

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
A driver was killed in the La Vega areas of Caracas earlier today when a mob tried to stop his truck to loot it and he resisted. A National Bolivarian Police officer was shot in the neck or head area, but he's in stable condition and expected to recover. A National Guard soldier was also shot in the leg, but I don't know what his condition is.

This video was taken in La Vega earlier today. It shows National Bolivarian Police officers engaged in La Vega. Judging from the sound of what appears to be gunfire and by how the officers are in cover/ducking to cover, it looks like they were taking fire:

https://twitter.com/RCamachoVzla/status/741330966434742272

There's also a video showing the National Bolivarian Police officer during the moments after he was hit in the neck/face. It's recorded from really far away, but you can still see blood, so :nws: :Here is the video.

I'm also reading about a similar situation in El Valle.

EDIT: The situation in El Valle is completely peaceful at this moment. There is a a group of about 60-80 people blocking traffic in front of a supermarket, but I don't believe there have been violent confrontations with the authorities there.

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Jun 10, 2016

fnox
May 19, 2013

Apparently 20000 signatures were invalidated because Nicolás Maduro were spelled without the tilde. That's how loving stupid the CNE is being.

Also, there are only 3000 signatures in Delta Amacuro and Amazonas, if they dip under 1000 the entire process is invalidated, so that's of course where they'll target their campaigns to get people to retract their signatures.

fnox fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 10, 2016

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
If even Capriles's own signature was invalidated that should tell you who you're dealing with, they are going to do everything in their power, legal or not, to make sure there's no referendum.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial

El Hefe posted:

If even Capriles's own signature was invalidated that should tell you who you're dealing with, they are going to do everything in their power, legal or not, to make sure there's no referendum.

Leopoldo Lopez's signature and that of some MUD deputies was also invalidated.

Capriles said that what probably happened is that their signatures got thrown out with entire forms. Each form contains ten signatures.

Like fnox said, if a form names "Nicolas Maduro" instead of "Nicolás Maduro" as the target of the recall, then that whole form and its ten signatures are thrown in the garbage.

There's also a June 13-17 window for you to log on to the CNE website and download a form saying that you changed your mind and you actually don't want to recall Maduro anymore, which will probably get the numbers down as well.

Tibisay Lucena is one of the top people on my "People I want to see imprisoned for crimes against humanity" list.

EDIT: I think someone mentioned this earlier, but it's worth repeating.

When the MUD started the signature drive in favour of the recall, it set up 1,523 booths around the country for people to drop in and sign the petition. Chances are that if you lived even in a small town, there was a signing booth either in your town or at least nearby.

For this next step, the CNE is setting up the verification booths only in state capitals. That means that the 1.3 million people whose signatures were validated must go to one of 24 stations to verify their signatures.

As I imagine is the case in many countries, state capitals are not necessarily the biggest, most central cities in a state. For example, the capital of Bolivar state is Ciudad Bolivar. If you happen to live in the town of Las Claritas, that means you have to travel 470 kilometers to the capital to verify your signature.

All of this has to happen within four days, between 8:00 AM and 12:00 PM, and 1:00 PM and 4:00 PM.

Chuck Boone fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jun 10, 2016

fnox
May 19, 2013

The revocatorio was a trap and the MUD willingly walked into it. They should have never agreed to this dumb poo poo.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

fnox posted:

The revocatorio was a trap and the MUD willingly walked into it. They should have never agreed to this dumb poo poo.

What other option was there to dislodge the PSUV before 2019 that wouldn't have been overridden by the PSUV and the TSJ anyway? It's nice to talk about how this is a trap for MUD, but I am increasingly convinced that there's no way short of a violent revolution or coup that will get rid of the PSUV before the 2019 elections. And that's just going to make the PSUV look good too ("we were robbed of power through undemocratic means :qq:")

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Jun 11, 2016

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

ComradeCosmobot posted:

What other option was there that wouldn't be overridden by the PSUV and the TSJ anyway?

Order the CIA to infect every PSUV member with cancer, for one.

fnox
May 19, 2013

ComradeCosmobot posted:

What other option was there that wouldn't be overridden by the PSUV and the TSJ anyway?

Demand the actual recall referendum procedure to start as it is in the constitution without this 1% poo poo Tibisay Lucena pulled out of her rotten rear end. Or, go through with the constitutional amendment while pressuring the TSJ into letting it go through, not with some dumb poo poo march in East Caracas, but an actually, honest, attempt to protest at their doors, stopping for nobody.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

fnox posted:

Demand the actual recall referendum procedure to start as it is in the constitution without this 1% poo poo Tibisay Lucena pulled out of her rotten rear end. Or, go through with the constitutional amendment while pressuring the TSJ into letting it go through, not with some dumb poo poo march in East Caracas, but an actually, honest, attempt to protest at their doors, stopping for nobody.

I agree that it doesn't help that MUD is showing its incompetent colors again, but I'm skeptical that being more competent would help when they have zero leverage to begin with.

They'd still have to hope that marching was good enough.

fnox
May 19, 2013

ComradeCosmobot posted:

I agree that it doesn't help that MUD is showing its incompetent colors again, but I'm skeptical that being more competent would help when they have zero leverage to begin with.

They'd still have to hope that marching was good enough.

If they applied pressure the moment the National Assembly was elected, this situation would have never loving happened. The very second the Amazonas deputies were removed they should have began pressuring the TSJ, because I can guarantee to you they had all the momentum necessary to oust Maduro then.

I mean, gently caress, does the opposition of today seem in any way similar to the opposition that won the National Assembly by a landslide in December?

M. Discordia
Apr 30, 2003

by Smythe

ComradeCosmobot posted:

What other option was there to dislodge the PSUV before 2019 that wouldn't have been overridden by the PSUV and the TSJ anyway?

Kill All Communists

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nude Bog Lurker
Jan 2, 2007
Fun Shoe
The good news is that as Venezualans, you're part of the glorious anti-imperialist coalition: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779610

fnox
May 19, 2013

The stalling has begun, there is a nationwide transportation strike this Monday, coinciding of course with the first day of the signature validation schedule.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
striking for what reasons?

Horns of Hattin
Dec 21, 2011
(post retracted)

Horns of Hattin fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 12, 2016

fnox
May 19, 2013

Kurtofan posted:

striking for what reasons?

What reason do they have not to strike, really? There's no food, no spare parts, no police.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
El Nacional says its only in Tachira, where did you hear it was nationwide?

fnox
May 19, 2013

El Hefe posted:

El Nacional says its only in Tachira, where did you hear it was nationwide?

They mentioned 18 other "entities" joining in, which I assumed to be unions in other states. I guess we'll see on Monday.

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
Doesn't the signature verification process run June 20-24? That would make it next Monday, no?

In other news, there was a big event in a Caracas stadium today in honour of Maduro's rule. He announced that his government was launching a lawsuit against the opposition with the goal of cancelling the whole referendum process because apparently those ~610,000 signatures the CNE threw out were all falsified. Maduro said:

quote:

It's really serious that these right wing politicians presented this rotten package with 600,000 garbage signatures again. This results in legal, penal, and administrative responsibilities.
Jorge Rodriguez was also there, and he explained the nature of the lawsuit a little bit more:

quote:

On Monday, we're going to the [Supreme Court] to sue the whole [signature collection process]. If 31% of signatures are defective, how can we authorize this [recall] for a political party? All those punks had to do was collect 1% of signatures.
As best as I can tell, this is the logic that Jorge Rodriguez is running on:
  • CNE asks for ~197,000 signatures.
  • The MUD hands in ~2 million.
  • The CNE checks each signature and says, "1.3 million are good, 600,000 are not good".
  • 1.3 million is less than 197,000.

It'll be interesting to see what the Supreme Court says. I doubt they'll throw the whole process out. I suppose the court might rule something absurd like, "You have to start again from the beginning and collect the signatures again without committing fraud". I don't want to believe this is possible, but this is Venezuela.

During the same event, Maduro went into an insane tirade against the head of the Organization of American States, Luis Almagro, over his continued efforts to denounce Venezuela at the OAS. Maduro said:

quote:

If they want, they can bring Almagro dressed like Rambo and Superman, wearing his underwear on top [of his pants, like Superman]. I'm waiting for you here, Almagro! You're ridiculous! Imagine Almagro all fat, dressed like Rambo, wearing his underwear on top.
(...)
History will absorb you into the hell of traitors, Almagro, you piece of garbage.

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

The good news is that as Venezualans, you're part of the glorious anti-imperialist coalition: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3779610

What a nice consolation price! Plus, whenever Venezuela finally collapses, we can look over the twisted mass of smoldering flesh and rubble and say, "Well, Venezuela was never truly an anti-imperialist country...".

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

eigenstate posted:

(post retracted)

:ohdear:

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Sorry folks, you're stuck with PSUV rule until 2019.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

fnox posted:

What reason do they have not to strike, really? There's no food, no spare parts, no police.

I misunderstood your post then, I though you said it was to disrupt the signature validation.

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

How hosed up is it that they are blocking your signatures to recall a guy who can't even loving spell his own drat name? This is literally Maduro's signature from his Wikipedia page.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Sergg
Sep 19, 2005

I was rejected by the:

New law: all decrees from El dictador have to be written by him without spelling or grammar errors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuck Boone
Feb 12, 2009

El Turpial
There was a protest over food in a city called Cariaco, Sucre yesterday, and there's a video showing National Guard and National Bolivarian Police officers firing point-blank into a crowd of unarmed demonstrators. The video is here.

In the video, you can clearly see that many of the officers are carrying pistols and assault rifles. It's not clear if the officers fired their weapons or less-than-lethal weapons like rubber bullets, but El Nacional reports that at least one person died as a result of the shooting. The person who died was 21 year old, and his name was Luis Josmel Fuentes.

El Nacional posted this image along with their story on Fuentes' death, which seems to suggest that the authorities did in fact discharge their pistols and/or assault rifles at the crowd of demonstrators:

Yeah, pretty much the whole top echelon of the PSUV has been going on non-stop about how there's a 0% chance that the referendum will happen this year. Maduro, VP Aristobulo Isturiz, the mayor of the Libertador municipality Jorge Rodriguez and his sister Foreign Minister Delcy Rodriguez, Diosdado Cabello... everyone.

If it's any consolation, these are the same people who said that there was a 0% chance that the National Assembly would go to the opposition in the December elections.

What will never cease to amaze me is how there's no pretense at all that there's a separation of powers in Venezuela anymore. The Consejo Nacional Electoral is supposed to be an independent body, yet we're getting daily statements from the PSUV leadership on when the referendum will take place/how.

If Maduro were at all concerned about maintaining the facade that his government is a democratic one, he'd say something like, "I don't know, it's looking tight, the referendum may take place this year or next - but that's up to the CNE to decide".