Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
The 500-mile daily ride will be limited by your rear end/seat combination. I can't think of modern non Italian bike that won't do that daily.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Post-Africa to Austin TW200 search

Arriving in Austin maybe the 18th or so of this month, want to get a bike almost immediately. Been watching CL for TW200s for a couple months to gauge the field, here's what they have this week:

- 1989 TW, 2k miles, $1650. Same owner for 20 years, tons of decent-quality accessories and upgrades, "price is firm". Has been up for sale on CL for like two months now. Kinda concerned about the age but he seems an involved owner and claims to be the owner for the last 20+ years. http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5623809717.html EDIT: fixed link

- 1998 TW, 3k miles, $1896. "Needs carb clean and tune-up" but in running shape, clean title, stored indoors. http://austin.craigslist.org/mcy/5619570004.html

- 2013 TW, mileage not given, $2400 "title status: lien", luggage rack added but not much other info. http://sanantonio.craigslist.org/mcy/5584637200.html

Any strong thoughts on these options? Is the '89 just too old to look at or if the condition is good should I jump on the low price and all the extras? I might only be keeping this bike for a year or two since I plan to upgrade to an electric in a few years once more options are on the market, I mostly just need a beater as an around-town runaround for this year until I go back to Africa and put it in my garage for half a year or so.

Couple days late, but assuming everything checks out with those bikes and there are no major issues all 3 of those are worth looking at. On paper the 2013 is the best value, but many people prefer the older models due to the perception that they are better made (I believe this is true). Personally I would gravitate towards the 98, especially if he is willing negotiate a little. The 98 is in the sweet spot of TW200s, and that one looks very minty.

Whatever you do replace that front tire ASAP, the stock tire absolute poo poo. The stock rear is fine. Shinko makes a good front replacement.

kylej
Jul 6, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Nitrox posted:

The 500-mile daily ride will be limited by your rear end/seat combination. I can't think of modern non Italian bike that won't do that daily.

Well yeah I could do it on a Grom but I want something comfy that can also handle a little dirt.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

kylej posted:

https://nh.craigslist.org/mcd/5593199290.html

Do the big V-Stroms generally make pretty good tourers? I've never paid much attention to them, but I want to start exploring the national parks of Canada (on paved roads or hard trails, no serious offroading) and want something cheap that can handle 500-600 mile days without complaining. As much as I like the big adventure BMWs, I don't think I would use the bike enough to justify their higher price tags.

This is a very nice Vstrom and I wish it was the one I had bought. The only big things it would need (if you want) are crash bars and a center stand. Already has a Sargent seat and cases, that's like $1400 in stuff already. Also has really low miles for what these bikes are capable of; someone on the Stromtrooper forums recently just hit 400k miles on theirs. I haven't done much long distance on my Vstrom yet but the one ~400 mile ride I did (half in rain) felt great.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Gorson posted:

Couple days late, but assuming everything checks out with those bikes and there are no major issues all 3 of those are worth looking at. On paper the 2013 is the best value, but many people prefer the older models due to the perception that they are better made (I believe this is true). Personally I would gravitate towards the 98, especially if he is willing negotiate a little. The 98 is in the sweet spot of TW200s, and that one looks very minty.

Whatever you do replace that front tire ASAP, the stock tire absolute poo poo. The stock rear is fine. Shinko makes a good front replacement.

I just noticed that the first one says "I have the title but never got it moved to my name"; that could be tricky unless the title holder is alive and living nearby; I'll ask him. The first one is more aesthetically my type and has a lot of cool accessories, but the middle one allegedly has a totally clean title and is a decade newer. And as far as aesthetics, if I fall hard for the bike I'll probably just streetfighter and repaint it anyway, but keep it stock until I feel it out for a season.

I'll ping the first guy about title, and if the second one is still available when I reach Austin I'll check it out, though it's 2 hours away from Austin so I'll have to verify a lot over the phone to make sure it's worth the trip.

Thanks for the tip on the stock tire; any other upgrades that should be immediately applied?

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

I just noticed that the first one says "I have the title but never got it moved to my name"; that could be tricky unless the title holder is alive and living nearby; I'll ask him. The first one is more aesthetically my type and has a lot of cool accessories, but the middle one allegedly has a totally clean title and is a decade newer. And as far as aesthetics, if I fall hard for the bike I'll probably just streetfighter and repaint it anyway, but keep it stock until I feel it out for a season.

I'll ping the first guy about title, and if the second one is still available when I reach Austin I'll check it out, though it's 2 hours away from Austin so I'll have to verify a lot over the phone to make sure it's worth the trip.

Thanks for the tip on the stock tire; any other upgrades that should be immediately applied?

Not sure about your state but as long as you physically have the title in hand and it's signed over to you the DMV doesn't really sweat the details. Other common first mods are shimming the needle in the carb and/or rejetting since they run very lean from the factory, putting a few mm's of preload in the front suspension, and replacing the stock chain. Procycle is the place to go for parts and farkles: https://procycle.us/bikepages/tw200.html.

It's surprising those bikes are still available, they are crazy popular up here. A real nice 93 popped up here a few weeks back for $1600 and it was gone in 2 days.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

Gorson posted:

Not sure about your state but as long as you physically have the title in hand and it's signed over to you the DMV doesn't really sweat the details. Other common first mods are shimming the needle in the carb and/or rejetting since they run very lean from the factory, putting a few mm's of preload in the front suspension, and replacing the stock chain. Procycle is the place to go for parts and farkles: https://procycle.us/bikepages/tw200.html.

It's surprising those bikes are still available, they are crazy popular up here. A real nice 93 popped up here a few weeks back for $1600 and it was gone in 2 days.

Awesome, I'm really eager to get back riding, and I'm not going to buy a car in Austin so this will be my main mode, so I'll be heading out to buy my first morning back in Austin.

The '89 is my top choice due to all the upgrades it has, and I'll call the guy about the title, and it's also only an hour our of Austin and has been posting on CL for "$1650, firm" for like two months now.

Any dire warnings about what parts are most at-risk in a bike with long years but low mileage so I can prioritize those? The upgrades seem pretty serious and not too curb-feelery so maybe the guy has been decently serious about maintenance and replacing decayed parts. I don't need this bike to last forever so I'm less worried about buying one this old, since within a few years I'll get a decent electric, I just want an inexpensive fun beater for a couple seasons until the electric market expands/improves and business takes off so I have more budget for cool stuff.

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Jun 10, 2016

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013
Test rode a VFR800 today. Very nice bike. Surprisingly sporty position. All the creature comfort (heated grips, TC) were great, and holy crap is that v4 fun. Had to calm myself down, kept trying get VTEC to kick in.

$13490 AUD is too steep though given how few they're selling. I can easily get a Ninja 1000 with ABS and 10k km for under 10k.

Why oh why did Australia not import and ABS version of the previous VFR generation?

Barnsy fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jun 10, 2016

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Any dire warnings about what parts are most at-risk in a bike with long years but low mileage so I can prioritize those? The upgrades seem pretty serious and not too curb-feelery so maybe the guy has been decently serious about maintenance and replacing decayed parts. I don't need this bike to last forever so I'm less worried about buying one this old, since within a few years I'll get a decent electric, I just want an inexpensive fun beater for a couple seasons until the electric market expands/improves and business takes off so I have more budget for cool stuff.

Anything made of rubber. Check the carb boot (manifold) and the boot between the carb and airbox. They should be somewhat soft and pliable if not they are due for a change. Check for fuel leaks, check the steering head bearings for play, check the cables for stickiness. Check the base of the cylinder and side covers for oil leaks which could indicate worn gaskets. Check the inside of the tank for rust. Check the sprockets for wear. Bring a multimeter with you and check the battery and charging system. The usual used bike stuff, there's so little to go wrong on these bikes that they're pretty easy to shop for.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Barnsy posted:

Test rode a VFR800 today. Very nice bike. Surprisingly sporty position. All the creature comfort (heated grips, TC) were great, and holy crap is that v4 fun. Had to calm myself down, kept trying get VTEC to kick in.

I want one so bad. With a centerstand, please!

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
So the dude that got me hooked on motorcycles has offered to sell me his '02 SV650S for $1500. 22,000 miles, frame sliders, I believe it's got Q3s, front and rear track stands, extra front wheel, and no running issues. I rode it for about a week before I picked up the Ninja500. He says he's just not riding it enough to justify having two bikes [his other bike is some flavor of literbike sport-tourer].

I figure I can sell the Ninja500 for what I paid for it ($2300) and come out ahead on this deal. I've only put about 3000 miles on the Ninja, but it's had the carbs redone, oil changed, new thermostat, new coolant, valve adjustment.

Am I nuts not to do this? Should I just keep the Ninja and embrace a $1500 track bike and start making plans for track days?

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Jun 10, 2016

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Beach Bum posted:

Should I just keep the Ninja and embrace a $1500 track bike and start making plans for track days?

If this is an option then you shouldn't even need to ask.

PCOS Bill
May 12, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Chichevache posted:

If this is an option then you shouldn't even need to ask.

Seriously. $1500 for a great running bike is a steal.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

More bikes is always the answer. It makes maintenance "fun" when there isn't pressure to get it up and running again quickly, just ride the other one in the meantime.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

Gorson posted:

More bikes is always the answer. It makes maintenance "fun" when there isn't pressure to get it up and running again quickly, just ride the other one in the meantime.

This, 100%. Plus you can wait for cheaper parts to be mailed to you. It's a slippery slope, though, be careful. After riding that SV, I'm in a turmoil to not add a third bike.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
I am seriously stoked to get a TW200 next week; seems about ideal for a short guy who wants a small sturdy urban getaround, and it's about the closest thing you can get in the US to the Yamaha AG100 I love in Africa.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Gorson posted:

This is my problem. :negative:

Barnsy
Jul 22, 2013

A MIRACLE posted:

I want one so bad. With a centerstand, please!

Centre stands come as standard. As are the self-cancelling indicators (which work any turn you actually lean a bit!),

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Well, no Africa twins available until august it looks like, and then for big markups. So tell me more about riding Bonnevilles in the dirt.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Well, no Africa twins available until august it looks like, and then for big markups. So tell me more about riding Bonnevilles in the dirt.

Buy a used on on advrider? I've seen a couple for sale already where folks didn't like DCT.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Mr. Wiggles posted:

Sounds like you need a temporary KLR!

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

Sounds like you need a temporary KLR!

Ouch. Be nice to the guy

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I cannot fit on klrs no matter how much I've wanted to. They're just too tall to be comfortable, even lowered.

I'd pick up a used Africa, but I don't want dct either.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I've sat on klr and Africa twin on Friday and both felt equally tall. But I have a 30" inseam so that's probably why. How about versus or vstrom?

Wickerman
Feb 26, 2007

Boom, mothafucka!
So I'm a pretty inexperienced rider looking for a first bike. I've skimmed the thread relatively thoroughly and I see a lot of the same things being recommended time and time again (for good reason.) Does this look like a good deal? It's awful new for the price they have on it, so I'm wondering if something's wrong with it. It's a 2014 Ninja 300.

http://mansfield.craigslist.org/mcy/5628140420.html

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I cannot fit on klrs no matter how much I've wanted to. They're just too tall to be comfortable, even lowered.

I'd pick up a used Africa, but I don't want dct either.

Wait, why do you think tall is uncomfortable? Just not being able to touch when you stop? I found that went away after a couple days. Just scoot over to one side and put the one foot down.

Vs and vstrom are decent choices. Maybe an older f650 Dakar? Tons of info on them out there so you can do your own maintenance.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Wickerman posted:

So I'm a pretty inexperienced rider looking for a first bike. I've skimmed the thread relatively thoroughly and I see a lot of the same things being recommended time and time again (for good reason.) Does this look like a good deal? It's awful new for the price they have on it, so I'm wondering if something's wrong with it. It's a 2014 Ninja 300.

Seems expensive to me for no abs.

Dutymode
Dec 31, 2008
It's got ABS, you can see the disk. Seems like a reasonable price.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Wickerman posted:

I paid around that for a similar mileage 2014 SE ABS. Not sure if I got a good deal or not either, but it was the best price amongst the 10+ bikes I looked at.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

Also, that bike has a very short exhaust. I would make purchasing it conditional on them supplying the original exhaust, as the one pictured will be loud as gently caress

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

I saw a new Ninja 300 that some dude put a shorty exhaust on like that. It was obnoxiously loud. Doesn't even sound good. Comparable to a wet fart at 120dB.

Everyone in the dealer parking lot agreed the dude was a grade A+ tool.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Digital_Jesus posted:

I saw a new Ninja 300 that some dude put a shorty exhaust on like that. It was obnoxiously loud. Doesn't even sound good. Comparable to a wet fart at 120dB.

Everyone in the dealer parking lot agreed the dude was a grade A+ tool.

Was it a white one between Arizona and Oregon? Because if it was I met that kid last Sunday. I had to stop the bastard and talk to him because his loose rear end chain was even louder than his poor exhaust choices.:cripes:

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

No. Green. NY.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
Oh, so there are two people who think it is a good idea to unleash the raw, full-throated fury of 300cc on my ears.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

I have a pretty muted eBay fart can on mine, with baffle installed. It makes it sound slightly more motorcycle than sewing machine without being stupid sounding. Probably.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Sewing machines sound good :colbert:

If ducati made a 300cc with desmo valves it'd be like two sewing machines and it would be awesome.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Little bikes sound good with old '60s and '70s style peashooters or megaphones. Snarly and raw.

A Loud Fart
Sep 9, 2011

Gorson posted:

Anything made of rubber. Check the carb boot (manifold) and the boot between the carb and airbox. They should be somewhat soft and pliable if not they are due for a change. Check for fuel leaks, check the steering head bearings for play, check the cables for stickiness. Check the base of the cylinder and side covers for oil leaks which could indicate worn gaskets. Check the inside of the tank for rust. Check the sprockets for wear. Bring a multimeter with you and check the battery and charging system. The usual used bike stuff, there's so little to go wrong on these bikes that they're pretty easy to shop for.

Thanks! This just popped up on Craigslist

http://denver.craigslist.org/mcy/5632381012.html

Pretty nice, this would be my first bike. When you're looking at the carburetor, is there anything that I should pay attention to other than the boot and fuel lines? In warm weather the bike should start right up and idle smoothly, right?

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

I don't know what kind of dark Oriental majicks they're using, but if you've ever heard the Yoshimuras on Japanese 250cc maxi scoots around Tokyo, it's loving odd how they can make such a little engine sound so big and bassy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Renaissance Robot posted:

If ducati made a 300cc with desmo valves it'd be like two sewing machines and it would be awesome.
Add in a dry clutch and it would be two rattly sewing machines.