Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
gently caress, you guys make me want to give up painting because i can't make my stuff look nearly that nice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

DJ Dizzy posted:

Wtfffffffffffff

Stop making me want to play Smurfs. Goddrat those are loving pretty.

Lucky number XIII baby

Safety Factor posted:

Nice! It's really cool to see you do a more "traditional" Ultramarines scheme as a comparison to your old school 2nd edition dudes. Out of curiosity, where'd the sergeant's sword come from?
To be fair, the 2nd ed guys are a more "traditional" scheme than these guys :v: The sword's from the Ultramarines accessory sprue, which also has a little Ultramarines gladius to pair with it. I got a bunch of the sprues for their shoulderpads which I can use on the Betrayal at Calth dudes.

Mango Polo posted:

That blue and gold go together perfectly. Those are fantastic models.
Thanks man! As much as I love the retro scheming I've been doing, it's been really fun to do this scheme too.

Hencoe posted:

gently caress, you guys make me want to give up painting because i can't make my stuff look nearly that nice.
That's all the more reason to paint more, because then your stuff can look awesome! I can see improvement in my own stuff every year; my stuff from just a few years ago looks decidedly "meh" now.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

SRM posted:

To be fair, the 2nd ed guys are a more "traditional" scheme than these guys :v:
You're right :negative:

SRM posted:

The sword's from the Ultramarines accessory sprue, which also has a little Ultramarines gladius to pair with it. I got a bunch of the sprues for their shoulderpads which I can use on the Betrayal at Calth dudes.
Ah, I was worried you had chopped up some poor honor guard model or something. The little accessory sprues were actually a pretty nice move by GW. Yeah, they're more expensive than they should be (obviously), but they should have put them out years ago. I have a couple of the Dark Angel ones and it has a winged helmet, a fancy chestplate, a sweet sword, and a cool plasma pistol that'll never get used. I am not likely to use the shoulderpads on my 30k dudes though. They're wrong. :spergin: That and the FW shoulderpads are way cooler with the ridiculously huge symbol. I had bought the sprues for my 40k dudes, but I don't see myself going back to them for a while.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
I really dig the little accessory sprues; my only complaint is that they came out with Space Wolf and Blood Angels ones when they already have really robust kits full of chapter-specific shoulderpads and everything. I don't think the prices are too bad though; 13 bucks gets you enough shoulders for a squad, a few cool weapons, and some extra helmets/chestplate options. It was a hell of a lot cheaper than getting the Forgeworld upgrade bits for my Mk IV dudes, that's for sure.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

MY LIFE GOAL IS TO STICK A FLESHLIGHT INTO THE END OF A HOWITZER AND FUCK THE SHIT OUT OF IT
Got one of my iron circle today, just a quick look over didn't reveal any major problems other than the chain cloth, the backing of it is suuuuper thin. Model looks cool as hell though. Assembly looks really easy.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

Hencoe posted:

Got one of my iron circle today, just a quick look over didn't reveal any major problems other than the chain cloth, the backing of it is suuuuper thin. Model looks cool as hell though. Assembly looks really easy.

Looking forward to how you'll paint it, they're such a great model.

Also:

:v:

Major Spag
Nov 4, 2012

SRM posted:

I really dig the little accessory sprues; my only complaint is that they came out with Space Wolf and Blood Angels ones when they already have really robust kits full of chapter-specific shoulderpads and everything. I don't think the prices are too bad though; 13 bucks gets you enough shoulders for a squad, a few cool weapons, and some extra helmets/chestplate options. It was a hell of a lot cheaper than getting the Forgeworld upgrade bits for my Mk IV dudes, that's for sure.

Pretty much the first thing that came to mind when they released them. They have a simplistic aesthetic (sans chest plate) that lends itself to a more "Horus Heresy" look to them. Plus crested helmet!

Also pricey but the transfer sheet they released at the same time is pretty amazing. Maybe not quite up to Forgeworld standards artistically but definitely very nice.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Mango Polo posted:

Looking forward to how you'll paint it, they're such a great model.

Also:

:v:

I fully support all efforts to antagonize gamers.

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

panascope posted:

I fully support all efforts to antagonize gamers.

I like to think the belated support for the Iron Warriors is an attempt to make their players as bitter as they are.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I hope they release everything in the Heresy before they do Lemun Russ and Warsmiths

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

Fearless posted:

I like to think the belated support for the Iron Warriors is an attempt to make their players as bitter as they are.

Its working, that much is certain.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Vigilator in scout armour conferring scout and infiltrate to a rhino with a plasma armed tactical support squad in it?

Is there a reason this is a bad idea?

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
A good idea. A drop pod is cheaper though. Also a Proteus is more expensive, but they're less likely to get nuked turn 1. Try it out and post results.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~
What's a good way to run veteran squads? I'm rolling two big 20-man mobs of tacticals with apothecaries and I'm looking for what to do with the last 10 Marines from Betrayal at Calth. These are for Ultramarines, obviously.

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

SRM posted:

What's a good way to run veteran squads? I'm rolling two big 20-man mobs of tacticals with apothecaries and I'm looking for what to do with the last 10 Marines from Betrayal at Calth. These are for Ultramarines, obviously.

Comedy option of giving them a missile launcher and sniper and using it to assassinate enemy characters.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

SRM posted:

Either heavy bolters with sniper or melta guns with tank hunter in rhinos have worked well for me.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

SRM posted:

Outflank then. Too bad you're not Sons of Horus, because Ouftlanking, Sniper Vets sound pretty goddamn good.

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

SRM posted:

I usually take 2 missile launchers and tank hunters. Granted, I already get outflank from the Children's Rite of War blade thingie, so they drive on and hopefully hit something in the side.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
In the face of all this power armour I am continuing slowly to prepare my cult militia horde. The pantheon of chaos group did a promotional miniature which I managed to get hold of to be the cult leader... It arrived today!

He is a stranger in a strange land, caught somewhere in time in the sea of madness. He has been gone for many wasted years but heaven can wait. Also, Alexander the Great (356-326BC).

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JackMack posted:

In the face of all this power armour I am continuing slowly to prepare my cult militia horde. The pantheon of chaos group did a promotional miniature which I managed to get hold of to be the cult leader... It arrived today!

He is a stranger in a strange land, caught somewhere in time in the sea of madness. He has been gone for many wasted years but heaven can wait. Also, Alexander the Great (356-326BC).

Hell yeah. :getin:

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
They are a good bunch, I completely missed the kickstarter but stumbled across somebody's blog about the pre kickstarter promotion. I emailed them anyway and they simply said "okay, PayPal us a tenner and we will send you one". I am nervous about painting him as I want to do him justice but will be sticking to the album cover closely. I have even started scouring my bits box for s suitable android arm to put on the base...

It's a very well done model, the back is well imagined too although it appears that he is wearing cyber-underpants

JackMack fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jun 11, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JackMack posted:

it appears that he is wearing cyber-underpants
True to the original album cover art.

Killer_Bees!
Dec 25, 2005

I, for one, welcome
our new insect overlords.
Buglord
For anyone thinking of getting the Kharybis or Dreadclaw please roll a sanity check, assembly is an adventure in itself but painting is kicking my rear end in all kinds of ways. There are so many nooks and crannies coupled with 10 million different angles and pipes, legs, weapons, thrusters and assorted poo poo I will be painting these for the next 10 years................cool models though pity I have spend the better part of the weekend on them and I reckon only about 2/10ths of the way there.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Whoever came up with the dreadclaw design should be put to death.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.
It could be worse. It could be a Ghost Ark.

BirdieBedtime
Apr 1, 2011
gently caress yeah, magnets.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
I'm having a hard time coming up with a scheme for my dark mechanicus cybernetica detachment. Anyone have any suggestions/ideas?

e: My guys look a bit more mechanical insectoid than usual:

(bottom right)

BULBASAUR fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Jun 13, 2016

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

BULBASAUR posted:

I'm having a hard time coming up with a scheme for my dark mechanicus cybernetica detachment. Anyone have any suggestions/ideas?

(bottom right)
Have you thought about trying for some crazy iridescent color scheme on the carapace plates? If you want insectoid, go whole hog on that poo poo.

I'll leave it up to you to figure out how to paint it. :v: I really like that black/blue/purple going on on that rhino beetle though. It would also better complement Iron Warriors Hands.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

BULBASAUR posted:

(bottom right)

I'm doing something based off this for my knights. P3 Coal Black -> Meridius Blue and various crusted rust enamel washes.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

BULBASAUR posted:

(bottom right)

I hope that Eversor shithoused your robbit.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Now I remember why I didn't paint that much before, I am slow as poo poo at it.

Nice smudge on the backpack exhaust. At least I'm glad only this one turned out so dark and the other 4 I base coated are a bit brighter.

Mango Polo fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 13, 2016

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005
Ooh the ivory bolter is a great call.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007

TTerrible posted:

Ooh the ivory bolter is a great call.

Thanks, I always liked warm whites and it turned out just great as a contrast to the metallic red.

Also I'm really growing fond of the FW community people since they started antagonizing the fans.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Yeah the ivory bolter owns

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC
Oh hey speaking of Legion dice.

Man the red ruins the Night Lords and World Eaters dice for me.

Hencoe
Sep 4, 2012

SteelMentor posted:

Oh hey speaking of Legion dice.

Man the red ruins the Night Lords and World Eaters dice for me.

Oh hey, I get to see my dice before Havocs or tyrants!

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Thanks for the suggestions dudes. I was actually looking at that exact P3 Coal Black theme. Going iridescent might be too much work for me though, gotta hammer out my hams.

Also Mango, your little dude looks really good. Like everyone is saying- dat warm white color.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

God the Sons of Horus dice look rad. They almost make me want to spend $30 on dice.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Stanyer spent $150 on his blood angle dice and they roll like poo poo

You should definitely buy some

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Mango Polo posted:

Thanks, I always liked warm whites and it turned out just great as a contrast to the metallic red.

Also I'm really growing fond of the FW community people since they started antagonizing the fans.

Help Bulbasaur out and ask about the Iron Warriors Havocs and Tyrants.