Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Caros posted:

The best shields in the game are the unicorn or banshee shields assuming you don't worry about the shield damage (which you shouldn't).

Both of those have an on board ifield generator that activates automatically when you'd get hit which is as ridiculously good as it sounds.

I'm trying to assemble some high-power suits for Extreme mode, should I be looking at "unique" abilities? Full Psychoframe and Nanoskin both seem good, or should I focus on increasing those stats through the normal abilities for them?

And do all the "Trans" type abilities do the exact same thing, boost speed and let you cancel with boost? The only variable is the shader applied to your suit when you do them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm trying to assemble some high-power suits for Extreme mode, should I be looking at "unique" abilities? Full Psychoframe and Nanoskin both seem good, or should I focus on increasing those stats through the normal abilities for them?

And do all the "Trans" type abilities do the exact same thing, boost speed and let you cancel with boost? The only variable is the shader applied to your suit when you do them?

Assuming you're on PS4, wanna play together? Granted i've already beaten Extreme and working on Newtype, but I can always use a weaker suit if my main is too OP for Extreme.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Pretty sure multiplayer is platform agnostic.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
I'm on PS4, but also in the UK if that's an issue. I didn't even know there was another level over Extreme!

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

BizarroAzrael posted:

I'm on PS4, but also in the UK if that's an issue. I didn't even know there was another level over Extreme!

Not really. Just send me a message whenever you want to play - if i'm around/awake i'll join you. PSN is my SA name.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Continuing my blast through 08th MS Team. Episode 7 is still loving terrible, Episode 8 is still fantastic. Miller's Report is completely extraneous and should have just been a proper episode of the show. It's not as full of plot holes as I remember, but the first time I watched it, it had been a few months since I'd seen the episodes it was structured around. Michel is still the worst. I would take Monsha over this wet blanket. At least Monsha can fight and doesn't constantly jeopardize his teammates through incompetence and whining.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

My Turn A DVDs should be here when I get home from work and then the fun will start.

Edit:

Yay!

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Jun 10, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Turn A trip report on the first two episodes: I'm liking the setting and the level of technology on Earth. Character designs are also really good! Loran is a boy that really likes to get naked though, he should stop that. The moon is a bunch of jerks.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How are the subtitles, general presentation etc. of the DVD?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I'm not enough of an expert to tell if the translation is really good, but I felt like it was fine enough. The menu is just an episode list with the option to watch a clean OP and ED, but I didn't expect much in features for an older series. The video quality is good, I was watching it on a projector and it looked about as good as a DVD master is probably gonna look. The discs themselves have really cool art on them that I'll probably try to snap a pic of later.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
To be honest, I didn't really love the Turn A character designs. They felt a little too flat, lifeless, and... well... doll-like. The rougher, more individualised designs of Tomino's UC run felt significantly more human.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Also, Gundam kinda has a thing for blonde women of higher social standing with blunt bangs, huh?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Waffleman_ posted:

Also, Gundam kinda has a thing for blonde women of higher social standing with blunt bangs, huh?

It's pretty much all back to Sayla, though the characters tend to vary a bit more than Char-alikes do

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Completed 08th MS Team. Again. Still should have ended at Episode 11, and it looks like it was originally supposed to considering the episode had a giant END sign at the conclusion. Episode 12 is unassuming and not terrible, but it's tacked on and would have worked better as a side story or a standalone piece.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Waffleman_ posted:

Turn A trip report on the first two episodes: I'm liking the setting and the level of technology on Earth. Character designs are also really good! Loran is a boy that really likes to get naked though, he should stop that. The moon is a bunch of jerks.

Loran was originally a girl but Tomino was overridden by executives so in my heart Loran is still a girl

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Eej posted:

Loran was originally a girl but Tomino was overridden by executives so in my heart Loran is still a girl

this has no basis in fact, it's an urban legend that sprung up on the internet.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Eej posted:

early concept art of Loran.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I just hope he wipes Turn A's seat down after this whole moon attack business. Got his bare rear end on that nice leather.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Tomino's one of those people who's kind of had a myth built up around him to the point where a bunch of things that never happened are seen as true in many places on the internet. As such unless I get a source I'm not going to trust what anyone says about what Tomino's said or done.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

Loran was originally a Bigfoot

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tomino planned for Dragon Ball to end with the Frieza saga.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Tomino hates Gunpla.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

TaurusOxford posted:

Tomino hates Gunpla.

Some truths are universally acknowledged.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

"Gundam was a mistake" - Yoshiyuki Tomino.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Arcsquad12 posted:

early concept art of Loran.
I kind of wish we got Marty McFly Loran in the final product.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Yoshiyuki Tomino killed his father in a duel and felt nothing. He's cited the experience as a central influence when writing Flanders in Victory Gundam.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Tomino is my uncle, he works at Nintendo and told me they are going to make gunpla that are also amiibos

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Some people aren't sure Tomino even exists.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Waffleman_ posted:

Some people aren't sure Tomino even exists.

It turns out he's Verbal Klint.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I heard Tomino hung himself behind the scenes during Victory Gundam, if you look in the background of one of the stills during the climatic space battle you'll see the silhouette.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

SeanBeansShako posted:

I heard Tomino hung himself behind the scenes during Victory Gundam, if you look in the background of one of the stills during the climatic space battle you'll see the silhouette.

I heard Tomino can only get aroused by watching a completed, and detailed, High Grade kit being crushed under a woman's heel.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tomino invented Bitcoin.

Caros
May 14, 2008

BizarroAzrael posted:

The unique abilities are mostly useful for new type mode. Their shtick is that they add a flat bonus that is above and beyond the stat cap for an ability. So if your boost gauge limit is 10,000 then it would be 12,000 with an appropriate ability.

There should be a chart somewhere that tells you the effect of each one, but one thing to keep in mind is that like abilities don't stack, so throwing on five different types of armor enhancing abilities does nothing past the first as an example.

As for the trans stuff, yeah they are almost all the same. The only exception I found was the strike freedom. If you use its ability without the backpack it is a normal trans ability. If you use it with the backpack it does the super dragoon all range mode and deals a bazillion damage instantly winning the combat (unless that has been patched).

I believe the martial arts trans stuff works differently as well, but I couldn't tell you how.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Does Loran get the trans ability?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

boom boom boom posted:

Boooo.

Caros
May 14, 2008

boom boom boom posted:

:golfclap:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Judau should get it too.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe

Midjack posted:

Judau should get it too.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Arcsquad12 posted:

Completed 08th MS Team. Again. Still should have ended at Episode 11, and it looks like it was originally supposed to considering the episode had a giant END sign at the conclusion. Episode 12 is unassuming and not terrible, but it's tacked on and would have worked better as a side story or a standalone piece.

I have never watched Episode 12. I think I've made the right choice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

closeted republican posted:

I have never watched Episode 12. I think I've made the right choice.

It brings up the newtypes from the Flanagan institute for no reason and then drops them.