Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Mercurochrome posted:

So I just beat Soul of Cinder. Does the game end when I "link the first flame?" If I want to play the DLC later and not have to play on a NG+ should I stop now?

After you select your ending you get a prompt if you want to "continue the journey" or something like that. If you select "yes" then NG+ starts, "no" then you need to go to firelink bonfire and there you'll have a menu option to go into NG+

double nine fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Jun 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cubivore_
Nov 6, 2013

Ok thanks

Fire Barrel
Mar 28, 2010
Fought dancer for the first time on ng+. Broadsword+Carthus Rouge and minimal dodging turned the boss from the hardest fight in the game for me to one that clipped me once and went down pathetically quick. I think dodging too much sets you up for getting punished on the grab move and the actual dance. Still might not bother with the ring stuff, though the patch notes said blue phantoms work better so it might be worth a shot. Might be the first souls game since vailla DS2, though, that I'm ready to put down for a while.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

edit: I shouldn't keep the window open for half an hour before replying

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

RabidWeasel posted:

Some pretty good changes, nerf to fist weapon parries, some sorceries and most offensive miracles cast faster, estoc R1 speed nerf, and fist / claw weapons AR buffed (they're still incredibly slow with no reach though).

Yeah they hit pretty much every outlier, and with nicely measured changes too. Will be interesting to see how things shake out, like if we start seeing other thrusting swords and parry tools.

Got a question I can't seem to find the answer to, do weapon buffs apply their damage to every individual hit of ricard's/rapier WA? Seems like it might be a fun gimmick, but it also seems like the kind of thing where they might spread the buff damage out over the attack sequence for balance reasons.

e: Nevermind, it's right on the fextra page. Looks like it works for ricard's but not for the vanilla rapier.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

Fire Barrel posted:

Fought dancer for the first time on ng+. Broadsword+Carthus Rouge and minimal dodging turned the boss from the hardest fight in the game for me to one that clipped me once and went down pathetically quick. I think dodging too much sets you up for getting punished on the grab move and the actual dance. Still might not bother with the ring stuff, though the patch notes said blue phantoms work better so it might be worth a shot. Might be the first souls game since vailla DS2, though, that I'm ready to put down for a while.

Yeah, I ended up beating the Boreal dancer with a sunbro, but actually, both of us just took it REALLY slow, and never actually got hit at all. It wasn't until I did it with him though that I really twigged just how important it was to stay slow.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

SynthOrange posted:

Just thinking about designs, I was kind of disappointed with the Soul of Cinder for being a guy in armor.

I thought that was great, because it's the Dark Souls Cover Guy. Every game in the series has had a generic abstraction of the player character on the front, and this one does too, but that's also literally what and who the last boss is. It was really cool to walk into the arena and realize I've been unwittingly looking at the final boss every time I load the game.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Wait do all the speed, recovery time etc changes seriously only affect you if you're using the weapon in your right hand

We need a :dice: for from

e: Based on the miracle video it looks like that only applies to some of the changes, since the video uses a talisman in the left hand

Owl Inspector fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 11, 2016

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.
Well, after a few hours of desperately trying to make the Caestus/demon fist/claws work, I'm throwing in the towel. I think they're still just as useless as before. The AR change is meaningless in the face of it being impossible to actually perform any sort of combo with either weapon. While the demon fist weapon art feels maybe a bit faster, that may be my imagination and people can still outrun it by straight up walking backwards.

Claws are still just thorough garbage to the core. They don't even have the speed of the caestus.

Edit: The sorcery changes were nice though, I think soul greatsword is just about usable now. Too bad my weapon selection is incredibly limited and only a few spells are still actually all that useful, so there's absolutely no variety.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So did they patch out the exploits like cast magic change and 1 hit kill pyromancer counter spell?

Why are they so vague about this poo poo?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So if someone equipped the gotthard twinswords in their left hand and then two-handed them, would they still have the old rolling attack speed or the new one?

Obligatum VII posted:

Well, after a few hours of desperately trying to make the Caestus/demon fist/claws work, I'm throwing in the towel. I think they're still just as useless as before. The AR change is meaningless in the face of it being impossible to actually perform any sort of combo with either weapon. While the demon fist weapon art feels maybe a bit faster, that may be my imagination and people can still outrun it by straight up walking backwards.

Claws are still just thorough garbage to the core. They don't even have the speed of the caestus.

Yeah the problem with the caestus was that they had no range in a game where tons of weapons have absurd phantom range, making them stupidly hard to use in PvP. An increase to AR isn't gonna change that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

quote:

You can no longer show your naked butt with the squat + Jailer's robe combo.

Nooooooo

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
I don't know which of you is Brat McEdgelord, but I'm having a great time making your life hard in Lothric right now.

Edit: It took you a while, but you finally got past all my traps. I hope you accepted my gift of an Ember!

RiotGearEpsilon fucked around with this message at 04:44 on Jun 11, 2016

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Found the funniest way to deal with those handopotamus things in Profaned Capital. When they rear up for the lunge and grab move, the slightest bit of damage to the eye cluster on their stomach knocks em back and opens them up for a visceral. This includes the damage from a single roll with on piece of Thorn armor.

Hey anyone know if poison and toxic can stack?

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

God dammit I wish these From fuckers would bring ascetics back.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

questions:

Is there some e-bushido rule about not switching weapons in honor duels? I hardly ever see it happen.

Does the faster miracle casting take effect regardless of which hand your talisman is in?

Is the Caestus parry actually different? I don't notice any difference.

Why the gently caress would From fix the butt glitch and not poise?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

Found the funniest way to deal with those handopotamus things in Profaned Capital. When they rear up for the lunge and grab move, the slightest bit of damage to the eye cluster on their stomach knocks em back and opens them up for a visceral. This includes the damage from a single roll with on piece of Thorn armor.

Hey anyone know if poison and toxic can stack?

Yeah, but it's not like either does damage fast enough even combined to do any real damage. Unless you're out of blooming purple flowers.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Filthy Hans posted:

Why the gently caress would From fix the butt glitch and not poise?

poise is working as intended

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

also if people aren't switching weapons, it's probably because they don't have anything to swap to in the first place

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Poise would have been fixed in the first patch if people had complained about the gesturebutt and not poise, allowing you to show off your butt with total stagger immunity until the Ember of the First Sin version when from finally adjusts the cloth physics without admitting to anything

We have only ourselves to blame for this

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Holy poo poo I got an 1v1 invasion :staredog:

Harvey Wallbanger
Aug 15, 2009
I seem to be getting more Watchdog invasions after this patch - still have only gotten 1 Darkmoon summon since they 'fixed' it, although that is 1 more than I'd ever gotten before. But w/e I'll be happy if I can get enough swordgrass to get the old wolf curved sword without farming for it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Started a co-op run and goddamn the rate of invaders is ridiculous. It is just not like dark souls 2 where you can have fun and chill out. Between estus refills and a death it took 7 summons total to get both of us from the start of the game through vordt, and except for one time, we had an invader show up an average of 72 seconds after the phantom arrived in the world. Straight swords and parry fishing are not part of the plan which means as soon as we get the stats to use our gear, we will not really be equipped to constantly fight players.

So how do you deal with these nonstop invaders?

You play Gwent with them.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

What's ridiculous is the difference in invasion rate between just being embered and actually summoning someone or using the dried finger! I'd love to be a host for 1v1 invasions, but I have to literally wait before every boss door if I want to be invaded more than once per area. In contrast, using the dried finger gives me back-to-back 2v1 invasions, where whenever I kill one of my two invaders another one shows up before I can kill the second. It gets even more ridiculous when it's the same three people invading over and over again - people start using the black crystal when they see they've invaded me for the third time in less than 10 minutes. Instead of the Dried Finger I want a Slightly Moist Finger that's just slightly less hardcore.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Jordbo posted:

What's ridiculous is the difference in invasion rate between just being embered and actually summoning someone or using the dried finger! I'd love to be a host for 1v1 invasions, but I have to literally wait before every boss door if I want to be invaded more than once per area. In contrast, using the dried finger gives me back-to-back 2v1 invasions, where whenever I kill one of my two invaders another one shows up before I can kill the second. It gets even more ridiculous when it's the same three people invading over and over again - people start using the black crystal when they see they've invaded me for the third time in less than 10 minutes. Instead of the Dried Finger I want a Slightly Moist Finger that's just slightly less hardcore.

My next run was gonna be me going through each area solo while using dried fingers. But being constantly ganged up on by two twinked out reds has me second guessing that plan. Maybe I'll wear the Way of the Blue and try and get some two on twos going.

Though I do agree, it is annoying how invasions can never be one on one. Even when you're the host.

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Happy Hedonist posted:

God dammit I wish these From fuckers would bring ascetics back.

Why? The monsters don't stop spawning.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I'm guessing he wants to fight the bosses again, since that was the only cool thing about ascetics. The part about trying to get rare drops from enemies that only spawn once through playthrough? Not so much.

I'd like to see From put an arena in, as many people would. I'd like it if it was all covenants combined, though. It'd be cool repping a Darkmoon Blue phantom while going up against Sunbros or Madmen. And a win would score you the covenant item of your choice. They wouldn't even have to build new maps, they could just pick a random boss arena.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Hahah just had a super fun invasion on the archives roof. Turned a corner and oh gently caress there was the host and three friendly phantoms. I throw fire and quickly duck back to the elevator room and the host for some reason jumped in after me. The phantoms jump after the descending elevator but splatter. The host and i fight in the cramped elevator which reaches the bottom then both kill each other at the same time just as it gets back to the top for the last phantom to see.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Rough Lobster posted:

I'm guessing he wants to fight the bosses again, since that was the only cool thing about ascetics. The part about trying to get rare drops from enemies that only spawn once through playthrough? Not so much.

I'd like to see From put an arena in, as many people would. I'd like it if it was all covenants combined, though. It'd be cool repping a Darkmoon Blue phantom while going up against Sunbros or Madmen. And a win would score you the covenant item of your choice. They wouldn't even have to build new maps, they could just pick a random boss arena.

Just bring back Battle of Stoicism. The idea was fine, it's just that with it being hard to find and DaS having atrocious net code hardly anybody used it.

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
am i misremembering or did they bump up drop rates for covenant items in ds1. i remember the drops off the bird people being the main problem

things having a 1% drop rate with 400 discovery is pretty abysmal

Obligatum VII
May 5, 2014

Haunting you until no 8 arrives.

Digirat posted:

Started a co-op run and goddamn the rate of invaders is ridiculous. It is just not like dark souls 2 where you can have fun and chill out. Between estus refills and a death it took 7 summons total to get both of us from the start of the game through vordt, and except for one time, we had an invader show up an average of 72 seconds after the phantom arrived in the world. Straight swords and parry fishing are not part of the plan which means as soon as we get the stats to use our gear, we will not really be equipped to constantly fight players.

So how do you deal with these nonstop invaders?

You play Gwent with them.

It's because the invasion matching favors co-op worlds so heavily. Do you also have a dried finger running? It gets really hilarious at that point.

As for invaders, you just wear them down, they have less estus and you're getting regular refills from invaders. Unless THEY are a parry-fishing jerk, which they probably are, in which case prepare for a miserable slog and constantly getting 1-shotteded at the slightest slip-up.

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

My next run was gonna be me going through each area solo while using dried fingers. But being constantly ganged up on by two twinked out reds has me second guessing that plan. Maybe I'll wear the Way of the Blue and try and get some two on twos going.

Though I do agree, it is annoying how invasions can never be one on one. Even when you're the host.

Way of the blue will pretty reliably get you a bluecop once you get double-invaded, so it's not a bad bet if you want 2 Vs 2.

Obligatum VII fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Jun 11, 2016

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Please do. Even though the summons are working now I keep getting pulled into worlds where the host is an idiot and I need ears.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
A high invasion run sounds like fun. I may do that for my next character.

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

A Dried Finger + way of blue run IS super fun, it's just really hectic since you've always got two invaders plus all the enemies against you, and Blue Sentinels/Darkmoons won't get summoned fast enough to keep up with all the invasions. You'll want a good gank-spanking build, and you have to realize that every invader is prepared for 4v1 ganks and will therefore most likely have min-maxed equipment and hornet ring even at low levels. But that's just the downsides, it's still a super fun and refreshing run when you've already beaten the game a few times.

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?
So I was playing DS1 this morning to see how populated it was for the Reddit Dark Souls restart thing. Pretty busy, actually.

However - for those of you saying "DS3 totally has DS1's netcode" Uh. While that may be true in an academic sense - it does not at ALL feel the same. I don't feel like I have to anticipate my attacks in DS3 anywhere NEAR as much as I do in DS1. 1 feels laggy as poo poo. Like if I'm not swinging a full 500ms in advance, I don't hit anything. DS1 to DS3 feels like playing Quake on a dialup vs a cable modem back in the day.

Not saying DS3 PvP doesn't have its issues - it does, but go play DS1 now since there's a lot of people playing. We have it much better in 3, believe me.

RiotGearEpsilon
Jun 26, 2005
SHAVE ME FROM MY SHELF
Serious question: can an invading dark spirit leave items as gifts? Or do they not appear?

Did they solve the issue where you could get softbanned by someone gifting you hacked items?

HaB
Jan 5, 2001

What are the odds?

RiotGearEpsilon posted:

Serious question: can an invading dark spirit leave items as gifts? Or do they not appear?

Did they solve the issue where you could get softbanned by someone gifting you hacked items?

Haven't tried it as an invader, but I suspect it's the same way as with Friendly phantoms: depends on the item.

Certain items can be dropped but no one else can see them or pick them up. I know Covenant items (tongues, ears, etc) are like this.

Octo1
May 7, 2009
Did the last patch mess with the Warden Twinblades in anyway?

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
I'm going to go straight to the heart of what I think you're really asking and say no, Bleed is still fantastic against anything that can be bled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

HaB posted:

Haven't tried it as an invader, but I suspect it's the same way as with Friendly phantoms: depends on the item.

Certain items can be dropped but no one else can see them or pick them up. I know Covenant items (tongues, ears, etc) are like this.

What about embers? I summoned a guy to help me with the twin dogs in Aldriche's basement and dropped him a couple embers as thanks, but he wouldn't pick it up :(