Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Oh, the network slogan is true -- "watch FOX and be damned for all eternity!"

Archenteron posted:

Originally, very originally and quickly removed, I think there was a third damage type that Lasers could do (or maybe it was Expl/Kin hybrid?) and the crystal basically retuned the laser into a disintegration beam

Nah, you're thinking of the third Tech-2 ammo types for each weapon system, which were added to the database but never released. Lasers were supposed to get an EM/Explosive ammo, Hybrids would have EM/Thermal ammo, and projectiles were intended to get an all-damage-types ammo. It's too bad it never got released, because the lore descriptions were cute:

* Blaze: "This frequency modulation crystal uses a modified microwave crystal coupled with a relatively low energy electron beam generator to alter the electric charge of molecules causing them to violently break apart."
* Desolation: "The Void Morphite blaster charge is Duvolle Labs' answer to the recent advances in shield technology. Unlike most blaster charges, the Void's main power lies in the electromagnetic radiation generated by the plasmatized morphite."
* Bolt: "The Bolt is actually a modified EMP artillery warhead, encased in a standard tungsten charge casing. This results in substantially improved penetration as the EMP shock disrupts the shield, allowing the tungsten shrapnel to bypass it more effectively."
* Storm: "The Storm is a mixed payload sub-munition system, designed as a versatile all-in-one solution for any combat scenario. Consisting of three different miniature warheads (EMP, Titanium, and Plasma), it is incredibly hard to counter completely with standard defensive systems. The downside is, of course, that individually the warheads are much weaker than normal and it's rather easy to counter at least part of the damage done."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
I wonder what draw backs they would've come up with for those if they came out at the same time as the t2 ammo did, iirc some missiles slowed you down if you had them loaded for batty lore reasons

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

ullerrm posted:

Nah, you're thinking of the third Tech-2 ammo types for each weapon system, which were added to the database but never released. Lasers were supposed to get an EM/Explosive ammo, Hybrids would have EM/Thermal ammo, and projectiles were intended to get an all-damage-types ammo. It's too bad it never got released, because the lore descriptions were cute:

* Blaze: "This frequency modulation crystal uses a modified microwave crystal coupled with a relatively low energy electron beam generator to alter the electric charge of molecules causing them to violently break apart."
* Desolation: "The Void Morphite blaster charge is Duvolle Labs' answer to the recent advances in shield technology. Unlike most blaster charges, the Void's main power lies in the electromagnetic radiation generated by the plasmatized morphite."
* Bolt: "The Bolt is actually a modified EMP artillery warhead, encased in a standard tungsten charge casing. This results in substantially improved penetration as the EMP shock disrupts the shield, allowing the tungsten shrapnel to bypass it more effectively."
* Storm: "The Storm is a mixed payload sub-munition system, designed as a versatile all-in-one solution for any combat scenario. Consisting of three different miniature warheads (EMP, Titanium, and Plasma), it is incredibly hard to counter completely with standard defensive systems. The downside is, of course, that individually the warheads are much weaker than normal and it's rather easy to counter at least part of the damage done."

Blaze M at least was accidentally released at one point back in late 06/early 07, iirc. I owned a crystal at one point that I got out of someone's wreck, but I can't remember what they got it from.

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Sunber posted:

I wonder what draw backs they would've come up with for those if they came out at the same time as the t2 ammo did, iirc some missiles slowed you down if you had them loaded for batty lore reasons

Yep -- Javelin hams/torps slowed you down. Conflag, Hail, and Void hosed up your cap regen. And other such idiocies. Plus, it stacked; if Conflag said it dropped your cap regen by 5%, that was 5% _per turret that had it loaded_.

(Also, hooray for post-surgery drugs, I am comfortable as poo poo)

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

ullerrm posted:

(Also, hooray for post-surgery drugs, I am comfortable as poo poo)

What did you have done? Whatever it was, hope the recovery goes quickly. Glad the meds are keeping you comfortable

ullerrm
Dec 31, 2012

Speaking of being on drugs -- why does CCP even bother with AUR? It can't be traded, it doesn't show anywhere other than the store, it's inconvenient; it's basically Microsoft Points. Except that MS stopped doing those and started just putting currency values on everything instead.

Jazzzzz posted:

What did you have done? Whatever it was, hope the recovery goes quickly. Glad the meds are keeping you comfortable

Had a cyst removed.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
Everyone please stop having surgeries and taking drugs, be healthy, tia.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

ullerrm posted:

Speaking of being on drugs -- why does CCP even bother with AUR? It can't be traded, it doesn't show anywhere other than the store, it's inconvenient; it's basically Microsoft Points. Except that MS stopped doing those and started just putting currency values on everything instead.

Had a cyst removed.

It's driven by accounting / finance reasons mostly. If you keep cash on account for people then you don't record a sale until they convert it into a good and hypothetically could be asked to pay it back. If you sell spacebux that alphabet no cash value and are only good for in game goods then you've already recorded the revenue and don't have any ongoing liability other than potentially some amount for deferred revenue depending on the accounting standards of the country you live in and how much your auditor likes you.

E: I imagine if Microsoft stopped doing that it was because they were told to or a rule changed in the us such that it was no longer beneficial.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

ullerrm posted:

Probably because otherwise you wouldn't be able to directly go from isk > aur store item using plex in case w/e item you want isn't on the market yet or is at gently caress you prices.

E: also the above irl money reasons, like store credit or vouchers but with no further costs to deliver goods/services other than a database server saying you have virtual ships paint #1243243

working mom fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Jun 11, 2016

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
What is the flavor of the month for Blops and/or cloaky hotdrop stuff? I don't suppose the Widow is worth a drat because :lol: ECM? What about the Redeemer?

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Widow might actually be useful in blops gangs against solo carriers to jam the clusterfuck of fighters now. I think neut Sins are still the hot poo poo though.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
If you're planning to drop blops on carriers, I'd certainly suggest going almost exclusively with Sins and, at a push, Panthers unless you're going to be dropping with really overwhelming numbers - you need each BS to provide lots of RR. The redeemer looks like a poor option, and the widow is only potentially acceptable because of its jams, although I suspect it'd be more efficient to just rely on remote reps to tank the fighters rather than jamming them out.

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012
So I know very little about mining/gas huffing/ice. If I'm wanting to make a little isk running around in a venture while there are no dudes for me to shoot, which is going to be best as far as money earned for time invested. Do they all affect ADM the same?

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Carth Dookie posted:

Widow might actually be useful in blops gangs against solo carriers to jam the clusterfuck of fighters now. I think neut Sins are still the hot poo poo though.

Nah, widows are just too squishy if you put jams on them.

Since you are tackling something that has the ability to gently caress you up if you do it wrong, drop neut rr sins and have another blops bridge in support ships. Like say a tanked 3x link proteus running armor links and a couple of falcons. Not only do you get more jams on the field but if one blows up you are only out a couple hundred mil and not a bil. Post drop if you are loitering to get rid of aids you can just have any of the blops bridge them home/cap inject and then jump home themselves.

Basically my chosen mix would be

As many sins as I can get

2 or more Falcons
1 armor booster T3
1 Konno Yoshiho Special skirmish webloki
1 Arazu

After that you can have people bring whatever the gently caress else they wanted, probably bombers and there's always one jackass in a stratios.

PookBear
Nov 1, 2008

LemonDrizzle posted:

If you're planning to drop blops on carriers, I'd certainly suggest going almost exclusively with Sins and, at a push, Panthers unless you're going to be dropping with really overwhelming numbers - you need each BS to provide lots of RR. The redeemer looks like a poor option, and the widow is only potentially acceptable because of its jams, although I suspect it'd be more efficient to just rely on remote reps to tank the fighters rather than jamming them out.

ratting carriers dps pushes rr blops out the window due to their dps output: its hard to get critical mass of rr ships needed to live.

Syndic Thrass
Nov 10, 2011
Someone called me sage weedlord once and I was like nah man I'm no Konno Yoshibo. I miss that dude. We reunited in a SUAS Facebook post or something a while back

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

nessin posted:

I don't know if it still is, but it used to be an option for the Ashimmu Burner (the Orthus/Onyx fit from the Blitz guide).

Yeah, I think that might be the one, I've only gotten that burner maybe once or twice. Team burners are by far the most common for me, followed by Sansha, Serpentis and Angel agent burners, in that specific order, the distribution seems really weird.

Speaking of Angel/Sansha agents, they're both doable with a Daredevil, albeit with somewhat different fitting, just a quick switch from your personal fittings and you're all set.
That quick switch, however, is something you shouldn't really forget, lest this happen

First loss to a burner because I was drunk and warped into what I thought was a Sansha burner. Queue me seeing a Dramiel on the overview instead of a Succubus and going "Oh...poo poo." :stare:

But I give so little of a gently caress after two weeks of burners that I just strolled over two jumps, fitted a new Daredevil (with A-types instead of C/B-types because those weren't available and I was too lazy to fly to Jita), came back, wrecked the Dramiel, scooped my lucky loot drop and peaced out.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Syndic Thrass posted:

Someone called me sage weedlord once and I was like nah man I'm no Konno Yoshibo. I miss that dude. We reunited in a SUAS Facebook post or something a while back

I remember many a cloaky gate camp with konno shooting the poo poo and doing bong rips, I'd sometimes fall asleep but konno would hang around till i woke up :3:, one time I decloaked while snoozing and he kept a cloaky alt on the gate to keep an eye on me for 3 hours, when I woke up he told me there'd been plenty of traffic through but no one would tackle a decloaked arazu on a gate.

I miss that guy.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Rhymenoserous posted:

Nah, widows are just too squishy if you put jams on them.

Since you are tackling something that has the ability to gently caress you up if you do it wrong, drop neut rr sins and have another blops bridge in support ships. Like say a tanked 3x link proteus running armor links and a couple of falcons. Not only do you get more jams on the field but if one blows up you are only out a couple hundred mil and not a bil. Post drop if you are loitering to get rid of aids you can just have any of the blops bridge them home/cap inject and then jump home themselves.

Basically my chosen mix would be

As many sins as I can get

2 or more Falcons
1 armor booster T3
1 Konno Yoshiho Special skirmish webloki
1 Arazu

After that you can have people bring whatever the gently caress else they wanted, probably bombers and there's always one jackass in a stratios.

Blops V considered mandatory, or will IV work to start?

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Jazzzzz posted:

Blops V considered mandatory, or will IV work to start?

Blops 5 is only really mandatory if you are trying to bump in a panther, otherwise its just a nice QoL thing with the blops bonuses being weird like inertia on the sin which is nice to get off the field but not really necessary, with lvl 4 you move faster cloaked than uncloaked (no prop) which is nice though.

JDC V on the other hand its pretty mandatory

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Sunber posted:

Blops 5 is only really mandatory if you are trying to bump in a panther, otherwise its just a nice QoL thing with the blops bonuses being weird like inertia on the sin which is nice to get off the field but not really necessary, with lvl 4 you move faster cloaked than uncloaked (no prop) which is nice though.

Already have JDC V/ JFC V, but I'm two months out from a Sin with T2 guns and Blops IV. The Panther is a bit over a month since I already have the guns trained. Widow/Redeemer I only need to train Blops IV which is about a week, but it sounds like they aren't so hot.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Jazzzzz posted:

Already have JDC V/ JFC V, but I'm two months out from a Sin with T2 guns and Blops IV. The Panther is a bit over a month since I already have the guns trained. Widow/Redeemer I only need to train Blops IV which is about a week, but it sounds like they aren't so hot.

The sin is better with no guns and using its highs for neuts and smart bombs, or RR if you are dropping on something with teeth. If you are dropping something solo/small gang the neuts will kill any active tank (most tanks) better than the extra dps can overcome it.

Panther is nice for the select-able damage and 2 utility highs, redeemer does more damage but is locked and has little utility so its better in bigger groups where you don't need to be a swiss army knife.

Widow is, odd? rhml is nice for burst damage but that's about it, its OK for small work but bigger gangs are all armour with RR which it is terrible at doing but jams can be a nice thing to have in niche situations IMO.

Small blops drop/solo I'd say:
Sin > Panther > Redeemer = Widow

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Reverand maynard posted:

ratting carriers dps pushes rr blops out the window due to their dps output: its hard to get critical mass of rr ships needed to live.
Well, you need to tank around 4k dps and have >40k EHP in your primary tanking layer to avoid getting nuked by fighters from a well-skilled carrier, so you're OK to just facetank its damage if you can field at least 5 RR sins.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese
Hey guys. I'm relatively new to taking the game seriously and I have a question.

I plan on being a black ops PVPer. Covert ops is an incredibly interesting type of PVP. At the same time though, I'm not an MLG pro 360 noscope shitlord who jerks it to kill mail. What non-PVP type of moneymaking enterprise coincides best with a black ops training queue?

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Nazareth posted:

Hey guys. I'm relatively new to taking the game seriously and I have a question.

I plan on being a black ops PVPer. Covert ops is an incredibly interesting type of PVP. At the same time though, I'm not an MLG pro 360 noscope shitlord who jerks it to kill mail. What non-PVP type of moneymaking enterprise coincides best with a black ops training queue?

As in things you can do with blops-like ships?

Exploration sites (data/relic) in null/low sec, gets you good at scanning and evading bads quickly, can be done from day one with a t1 explo frig that while can't warp cloaked is cheap as poo poo and pays for itself 30 times over with 1 good site.

FW missions are almost exclusively done in bombers and piss out LP for little risk.

DED sites, ties in with the exploration but can only really be done in either a blops BS or a T3

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Sunber posted:

As in things you can do with blops-like ships?

Exploration sites (data/relic) in null/low sec, gets you good at scanning and evading bads quickly, can be done from day one with a t1 explo frig that while can't warp cloaked is cheap as poo poo and pays for itself 30 times over with 1 good site.

FW missions are almost exclusively done in bombers and piss out LP for little risk.

DED sites, ties in with the exploration but can only really be done in either a blops BS or a T3

That is good advice, but I am also taking consideration for non-combat things like industry that could easily branch out from a proper BLOPS skill plan. If not I'll just set up my industrial empire later.

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Nazareth posted:

That is good advice, but I am also taking consideration for non-combat things like industry that could easily branch out from a proper BLOPS skill plan. If not I'll just set up my industrial empire later.

Industry and BLOPS have nothing in common. You are training combat skills, so you will be doing a combat thingy if you dont / cant train anything else.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Thatim posted:

Industry and BLOPS have nothing in common. You are training combat skills, so you will be doing a combat thingy if you dont / cant train anything else.

Thank you Thatim you excellent person.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015
You can always do industry on separate characters, but if you're doing blops then you are generally moving around a lot in hostile territory, industry is generally rather static to an area which unless you want to do a lot of travelling isn't really feasible

Martin BadClixx
Jul 14, 2012

dada stijl

:cumpolice:

Nazareth posted:

Thank you Thatim you excellent person.

I would suggest looking into FW. I have been told it makes plenty of isk and you can fly a SB!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sunber posted:

You can always do industry on separate characters, but if you're doing blops then you are generally moving around a lot in hostile territory, industry is generally rather static to an area which unless you want to do a lot of travelling isn't really feasible

"BLOPS STYLE WORK" can be done with just about any nano ship that you can wrangle enough CPU to put a cloak in. The big challenge to blops work is and always has been being a bad enough dude to move around hostile space without being blown up. Two accounts is virtually mandatory with the second account at least being able to fly a bomber as a scout (T3 preferable).

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

Sunber posted:

To expand on this provided you aren't a moron the blops level doesn't really matter at all provided you can sit in one. JDC5/JFC5/MJD operation and the primary skills required to run all your modules are what you really need.

Naz al-Ghul
Mar 23, 2014

Honorarily Japanese

Rhymenoserous posted:

"BLOPS STYLE WORK" can be done with just about any nano ship that you can wrangle enough CPU to put a cloak in. The big challenge to blops work is and always has been being a bad enough dude to move around hostile space without being blown up. Two accounts is virtually mandatory with the second account at least being able to fly a bomber as a scout (T3 preferable).

I'd prefer someone else have the second account, I don't have interest in multiclienting or adding expense to myself with multiple subs.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I'm never going to bother listing things on the market ever again. It's just too loving bothersome. It's just selling to buy orders from now on drat the loss in profit. I just want to sell one loving item so I undercut everyone by a decent bit so it goes quickly. A listing of one item at a lower price won't cause a bother for the dozens of other listings with hundreds of the modules for sale. But nooo, they need to take their entire stock and undercut me. Doesn't matter that just letting someone buy my one item wouldn't have mattered to them or that it would have been cheaper for them to buy my thing themselves and just relist. No, everyone needs to suddenly take their massive stock and undercut me even though they are losing millions of isk to do so.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
If it's an item with decent daily volume your order will usually clear in a day or two - not ideal if you need isk right now but helpful if you can afford to be patient.

I saved 20m on a Mach hull given I was willing to wait overnight. That's not bad when you're space poor like me (one good freighter ransom and it will be paid for though :toot:)

Dr. Pangloss
Apr 5, 2014
Ask me about metaphysico-theologo-cosmolo-nigology. I'm here to help!

Rhymenoserous posted:

To expand on this provided you aren't a moron the blops level doesn't really matter at all provided you can sit in one. JDC5/JFC5/MJD operation and the primary skills required to run all your modules are what you really need.

I've got a cyno 5 proteus pilot who is working towards blops now that I'd love to throw your way. He's my dread pilot, but blops sounds more fun. It'd be in a panther, since I'm not cross training him, but he's already JDC5, JFC5, MJD4. Just have to train minmater BS to 5 and he's good to go.

//edit: crap, just noticed the moron caveat. I'll just stick to capswarm, I guess. :rip:

Anagram of GINGER
Oct 3, 2014

by Smythe
Part of my sleep therapy is an app on my iPhone that I use to record things like when I went to bed, how many times I woke up in the middle of the night, and when I got out of bed in the morning. I was adding the information for last night and I couldn't remember when I went to bed until I heard a directorbot ping and then I was like, oh yeah. 3:30 am.

Goodnight. poo poo 2 am.

Jbz
Jun 6, 2011

Glory of Arioch posted:

also lol at putting a capital market in a system with hilarious capital geography choke points

Can someone :words: a bit about this? I've never had issues moving single caps around, even adjusting a midpoint or something simple like that.

working mom
Jul 8, 2015

Jbz posted:

Can someone :words: a bit about this? I've never had issues moving single caps around, even adjusting a midpoint or something simple like that.

Due to the distance between certain regions/constellations there are some bordering regions with only a few systems either side you can reach them from unless you take a massive detour, resulting in those systems being easy to camp to catch terrible people, normal caps aren't normally an issue as they can dock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Where do I want to run missions while waiting for incursions to respawn?

Is it still ones that sell the Federation Navy SeBo's?

• Locked thread