Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Lemon-Lime posted:

It's 2016 and they're still loving trash for FPSes.
:agreed:

THE CHORSE posted:

KF2 is dumbed down in the ways that I said KF2 is being dumbed down. Overwatch is dumbed down in the way that I said Overwatch is dumbed down. They are dumbed down in different ways but for the same reason. Does that help?

I also brought up Fallout 4 and SnapMap, which are limited in completely different ways. Is that too confusing for you?
Overwatch is balanced differently on consoles and PC. I don't know the extent to which they'll tweak the gameplay, but they aren't necessarily shackled by console limitations for things like headshit hitboxes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

THE CHORSE posted:

Oh look, an Overwatch avatar. Yes please tell me all about how FPS games haven't been dumbed down for consoles. No competent developer would increase the size of the head hitbox to compensate for a lack of fine control, amirite?

lol you're such a prick

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

Plan Z posted:

I'm warming up to KF2 right now. With recent changes and especially Hans, the game's in a better place than it has been in months. The only problems I have are the more ridiculous resistances and the sad state that Support/Demo are in.

I need to play more Solo Suicidal as Demo. Solo Hard seems to skew my views on this patch.

Coincidentally, I could always Solo Hard for training my single digit perks and maybe Zerk.

She Bangs the Drums
Oct 17, 2009

by VideoGames

widespread posted:

I need to play more Solo Suicidal as Demo. Solo Hard seems to skew my views on this patch.

Coincidentally, I could always Solo Hard for training my single digit perks and maybe Zerk.

why would you solo? you get way more XP in a group

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Ruggington posted:

lol you're such a prick

That doesn't change the fact that what they said was true.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

:rip: Killing Floor 2.

Ruggington posted:

lol you're such a prick

And you provide absolutely nothing constructive to counter his argument, but based on your post history in Overwatch threads, I can't say I'm surprised.

Real talk: One positive side effect of TWI killing KF2 is that the numbers for KF1 seem to be going up a little bit. I also saw at least one post in the thread where someone noticed KF1's plentiful DLC. I'd be happy to write up a quick new users guide for any goons wanting to get into KF1. The DLC isn't actually that bad! I promise!

I'm also thinking of learning how to make poo poo in Unreal Editor 2.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

And you provide absolutely nothing constructive to counter his argument, but based on your post history in Overwatch threads, I can't say I'm surprised.

a guy trying to speak authoritatively about game design decisions he had no involvement in and acting like a condescending shithead to anybody that questions him is cool

he isn't even making an argument he's just saying the things he doesn't like are because consoles

also gently caress off about my posts in overwatch threads I don't even know what you're talking about

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

I'm basically disabled using a controller when I play shooters but I'm not gonna pretend a co-op shooter require absolute precision to be played well like it's loving counter strike

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

She Bangs the Drums posted:

why would you solo? you get way more XP in a group

Mostly in dread of pubstoving, partial "not sure if any goon still wants to try Suicidal in the beta branch".

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012
I said "effort post about DLC in KF1," but it honestly takes no effort to just say: the only DLC you "need" are the three community weapon packs. The other weapon packs are cosmetic reskins. The character packs are for funsies. These packs are cheap as poo poo during the summer sale.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

I said "effort post about DLC in KF1," but it honestly takes no effort to just say: the only DLC you "need" are the three community weapon packs. The other weapon packs are cosmetic reskins. The character packs are for funsies. These packs are cheap as poo poo during the summer sale.

I still think it was kind of hosed up of TWI to take a community made weapon pack and then charge money for it as a DLC.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Skoll posted:

I still think it was kind of hosed up of TWI to take a community made weapon pack and then charge money for it as a DLC.

Yup, it does suck. It's just kinda one of those "well, poo poo" sort of things. I will say that you don't need those packs, particularly the last one. Honestly, if you only purchase a single pack, make it the very first one with the flare revolver.

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Skoll posted:

Also the part where all the initial DLCs were released for $3.99, but then later on when they started releasing the DLC for $7.99, went back and changed the price on all the $3.99 DLCs to $7.99.

Sininu
Jan 8, 2014

Insert name here posted:

Also the part where all the initial DLCs were released for $3.99, but then later on when they started releasing the DLC for $7.99, went back and changed the price on all the $3.99 DLCs to $7.99.

Here's the proof

It's in euros

Also I'm pretty sure community weapon creators were compensated accordingly.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Ruggington posted:

a guy trying to speak authoritatively about game design decisions he had no involvement in and acting like a condescending shithead to anybody that questions him is cool

he isn't even making an argument he's just saying the things he doesn't like are because consoles

also gently caress off about my posts in overwatch threads I don't even know what you're talking about

He is make an argument. The only person who is just saying things they don't like is you complaining about his attitude.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Theta Zero posted:

He is make an argument. The only person who is just saying things they don't like is you complaining about his attitude.
His argument is "Blizzard made big hitboxes to cater to console players" when they've explicitly said they're doing separate balance for console/PC and there's nothing that actually backs his claim

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

THE CHORSE posted:

You're right, I could explain myself better (and not be an rear end). I'm basing the assumption on what I know about Payday 2 and the weird compromises that they had to make in order to keep the game running on Xbox 360 and PS3 long after that was a relevant concern, and then the ways that the game has been able to expand since they left that behind. There's still a PS4/Xbone version but they haven't updated it in foreverrrr and I don't think they're going to add everything from the PC version, so the game has gotten much larger maps with more varied objectives. poo poo has gotten weird in a really good way. I'm pretty sure TWI is planning a console release for KF2 at some point and I want to blame something, so consoles it is.

i didn't see this post and as a reformed console tf2 player I can relate so now we can be friends

update your spreadsheets

Ruggington fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jun 12, 2016

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!

Elysiume posted:

His argument is "Blizzard made big hitboxes to cater to console players" when they've explicitly said they're doing separate balance for console/PC and there's nothing that actually backs his claim

I don't have a horse in this race, but hitboxes and balance aren't necessarily the same.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Elysiume posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UU8jqxAiHQ

Recorded on PC. I also tested this myself. Overwatch easily has the most cartoonishly large hitboxes of any FPS game I have ever played. Between this and the 20 tick rate servers (and an essay's worth of other issues I'm not sperging about right now), competitive Overwatch is a loving farce. As a casual game, it's serviceable.

Fake edit: For the record, these hitboxes have not changed as of the last patch.

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

VIDEO GAME MODIFICATION IS TOTALLY THE SAME THING AS A FEMALE'S BODY AND CLONING SAID MODIFICATION IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS RAPE, GUYS!!!!!!!
Oh also: nice meltdowns, everyone

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UU8jqxAiHQ

Recorded on PC. I also tested this myself. Overwatch easily has the most cartoonishly large hitboxes of any FPS game I have ever played. Between this and the 20 tick rate servers (and an essay's worth of other issues I'm not sperging about right now), competitive Overwatch is a loving farce. As a casual game, it's serviceable.

Fake edit: For the record, these hitboxes have not changed as of the last patch.

oh you're one of these

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

LuciferMorningstar posted:

I don't have a horse in this race, but hitboxes and balance aren't necessarily the same.

Hitboxes are part of balance. Tanks have larger models and larger hotboxes to offset their hp pool and make characters like reaper better vs them.

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Ruggington posted:

oh you're one of these

And you have a waifu avatar, so you're one of those. :^)

LuciferMorningstar
Aug 12, 2012

Tagichatn posted:

Hitboxes are part of balance. Tanks have larger models and larger hotboxes to offset their hp pool and make characters like reaper better vs them.

Yes, but that's not the issue. The issue is that the head hitboxes are oversized for all characters.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Can the Overwatch stuff gently caress off so we can go back to bitching about how TWI can't balance their own game for poo poo? tia

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.
This is beginning to look like the Overwatch thread in more ways than one.

Whether or not KF2 is being balanced around it being on consoles, which I don't believe it is, I do think that the resistance system they're trying to implement could work if it was on a much more simplistic scale. Like classifying weapons in just four basic categories rather than, say, the ~10 there are now?

Doctor Shitfaced
Feb 13, 2012

Skoll posted:

Can the Overwatch stuff gently caress off so we can go back to bitching about how TWI can't balance their own game for poo poo? tia

Sorry about that.

What's the over/under on them actually rolling back the resist system? I only recall TWI rolling back like one change months ago, and that had to do with ammo pickups.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I think they're probably going to stick us with the resist system in some form or another since they obviously put the work in for it. Knowing TW it will take them about 9 months to make it to where it's actually in a place that makes the game fun and not some kinda fuckin uber reddit meta slog bullshit.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Sorry about that.

What's the over/under on them actually rolling back the resist system? I only recall TWI rolling back like one change months ago, and that had to do with ammo pickups.

Very unlikely. Tripwire tends to take the approach that anything can shine if you polish it enough, so most likely they'll just keep making small improvements until it's actually (what most likely they think) is good rather than cut their losses entirely.

Tagichatn
Jun 7, 2009

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Sorry about that.

Who knows. At least they're toning it back somewhat.

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

And you have a waifu avatar, so you're one of those. :^)

a portrait from a decade old gba game is a waifu avatar

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Klaus88 posted:

:rip: Killing Floor 2.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Doctor Shitfaced posted:

Sorry about that.

The problem is that for every 10 players who find this unbearable and just give up all hope, there is the one "hardcore" player who plays nothing but organized 6-man HoE and unlike those 10, the 1 will post on the official TWI forums going "oh yeah wooo finally some new challenge go TWI <3". So dumb stuff like this says. There was a lot of this in KF1, there is quite a lot of it in KF2. And to make it even worse, you go onto Steam forums and see tons of posts praising this system for "adding something to the game".

I guess maybe I am the trash player who should go back to other games to have "fun".

EDIT: Well I went to the TWI forums, and these are the type of people who post there the most:

I do not wish to crap on such people, but it's what we've been saying - the game is clearly getting catered to a small group of players. This makes is less and less accessible to the point where now a bit over a thousand players play it, and the numbers will only dwindle more.
I tried to gather up the thread's thoughts and write up that post on the TWI forums, but seeing what posters there are like, I fail to see the point, since I believe I will get slammed for that and the devs won't even notice that.

EDIT: Oh right, all the posts on TWI froums have to go through moderator acceptation, sheesh. Then maybe they will notice and not let me post :v:

Kikas fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 12, 2016

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Kikas posted:

The problem is that for every 10 players who find this unbearable and just give up all hope, there is the one "hardcore" player who plays nothing but organized 6-man HoE and unlike those 10, the 1 will post on the official TWI forums going "oh yeah wooo finally some new challenge go TWI <3". So dumb stuff like this says. There was a lot of this in KF1, there is quite a lot of it in KF2. And to make it even worse, you go onto Steam forums and see tons of posts praising this system for "adding something to the game".

I guess maybe I am the trash player who should go back to other games to have "fun".

I do not wish to crap on such people, but it's what we've been saying - the game is clearly getting catered to a small group of players. This makes is less and less accessible to the point where now a bit over a thousand players play it, and the numbers will only dwindle more.
I tried to gather up the thread's thoughts and write up that post on the TWI forums, but seeing what posters there are like, I fail to see the point, since I believe I will get slammed for that and the devs won't even notice that.

EDIT: Oh right, all the posts on TWI froums have to go through moderator acceptation, sheesh. Then maybe they will notice and not let me post :v:

That's exactly what I fear is going to happen; they're going to listen to the diehard players and the suckups on the Steam forums and official forums instead of investigating why people are leaving and why the game's playerbase is tanking, then scratch their heads a few months down the lien when the game is hitting less than 1,000 players most of, if not the entire day. They'll keep catering to the organized 6-man HoE players while giving a few token changes to vaguely please anyone not playing HoE or Vs until something gives.

You could post your views on the official forums and just not read the responses, if it somehow gets by moderator approval. It doesn't matter if some weirdo spergs tear it apart on the forums as long as at least one TWI guy reads it.

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

closeted republican posted:

That's exactly what I fear is going to happen; they're going to listen to the diehard players and the suckups on the Steam forums and official forums instead of investigating why people are leaving and why the game's playerbase is tanking, then scratch their heads a few months down the lien when the game is hitting less than 1,000 players most of, if not the entire day. They'll keep catering to the organized 6-man HoE players while giving a few token changes to vaguely please anyone not playing HoE or Vs until something gives.

You could post your views on the official forums and just not read the responses, if it somehow gets by moderator approval. It doesn't matter if some weirdo spergs tear it apart on the forums as long as at least one TWI guy reads it.

Well, diving deeper into the TWI forums, there are actually a LOT of posts criticising the resistances and the overall imbalance of this update. Let's not try to predict the future as much as we are, it really is a tidal wave of criticism, and a lot of it is not just childish vitrol but valid, thought out posts pointing out what exactly is bad and unfun. The more I dig into the forums, the more I hope that TWI will notice that people are turning on the game with these changes. I think they might budge, after all the resistances thing is a beta inside of an early access.

There's still hope IMO. Maybe the trend of catering to the harders of core pissed enough people off that they'll notice.

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Kikas posted:

Well, diving deeper into the TWI forums, there are actually a LOT of posts criticising the resistances and the overall imbalance of this update. Let's not try to predict the future as much as we are, it really is a tidal wave of criticism, and a lot of it is not just childish vitrol but valid, thought out posts pointing out what exactly is bad and unfun. The more I dig into the forums, the more I hope that TWI will notice that people are turning on the game with these changes. I think they might budge, after all the resistances thing is a beta inside of an early access.

There's still hope IMO. Maybe the trend of catering to the harders of core pissed enough people off that they'll notice.

TWI is stubborn as gently caress about their changes, though. That's why I don't hold out too much hope. :/

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Ahahahahah gently caress someone pointed out the complete total retardation of this update in just two lines.

quote:

Firebug gets bonus XP for killing Crawlers
Crawlers now have a 70% resistance to Fire

Yup, better work for that extra XP.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

I don't understand why the Stalker is so resistant to so many types of damage. She's literally naked.

Countered by firebugs, it says. Firebugs, who... deal fire damage, which she resists heavily? Ok.

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

Mischievous Mink posted:

I don't understand why the Stalker is so resistant to so many types of damage. She's literally naked.

Countered by firebugs, it says. Firebugs, who... deal fire damage, which she resists heavily? Ok.
Firebugs also deal microwave damage, which...oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randombattle
Oct 16, 2008

This hand of mine shines and roars! It's bright cry tells me to grasp victory!

What a stupid update. Killing floor is a game about wrecking poo poo like a bad rear end doom wad and throwing money around not debating proper weapon uses to counter resistances on naked ladies and naked fat men.