Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

eXXon posted:

Wrong. Dion signed the export permits without which the deal could not have proceeded. He took full responsibility and gave an embarrassing, merciless and gutless defense:
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/dion-takes-responsibility-for-pushing-through-saudi-arms-deal/article29672290/

Oh no, think of the wretched human waste working for defense contractors! Imagine the horror of potentially losing international tuition from Saudi prince(ss)lings! gently caress Dion, I have no respect for him anymore.

If a middle-class family in Aden or Sana'a is looking for a good-quality product, we want them to look at the maple leaf on an armoured fighting vehicle and say, ‘OK, it’s good quality.’

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The overuse of the term middle class has really hit a point now where it has no meaning anymore. Every politician uses it to refer to everyone now. Thats not how the real world works. We wont have anyone working to fix the problems facing millions of Canadians in poverty if our people in charge cant even admit that we have poor people living in this country that are being crushed under the merciless boot of capitalism.

I know this is a little off topic but sweet zombie Jesus I have never seen that word used as much as the Liberals have since being elected.

ghosthorse
Dec 15, 2011

...you forget so easily...

Furnaceface posted:

I know this is a little off topic but sweet zombie Jesus I have never seen that word used as much as the Liberals have since being elected.

If they stop broadly applying it to everyone people might look around and realize it doesn't exist

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Leofish posted:

Time makes fools of us all.

Haha, the cons want their f-35s so bad. Anything would be better than those fat dumpster fires on wings. In all honesty much as I like the Rafale the super hornet is our best bet so I don't know why the opposition would be mad about getting a good long range bomb truck

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

ghosthorse posted:

If they stop broadly applying it to everyone people might look around and realize it doesn't exist

I think they way they use the word, it can be interchanged freely with land owner. I had the idea few weeks ago and no quote has proven me wrong so far. :shrug:

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

ghosthorse posted:

It exists, just way more people identify as middle class than actually are. I know tons of working people who balk at the idea that they are only "upper lower".

Anyone got reliable stats on it? Like I assume that it's only 20-30% of the population tops

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

THC posted:

Canada's gonna have a civil race war just because white dudes don't get to feel like they're the literal best anymore

Congratulations on being a useful idiot for the likes of white dudes like Bob Rennie and Gregor Robertson.

Brannock
Feb 9, 2006

by exmarx
Fallen Rib

Black Bones posted:

It exists, just way more people identify as middle class than actually are. I know tons of working people who balk at the idea that they are only "upper lower".

Anyone got reliable stats on it? Like I assume that it's only 20-30% of the population tops

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/tables-tableaux/sum-som/l01/cst01/famil105a-eng.htm

More like 15%

A big part of the problem is that people are very resistant to the idea that "middle class" is not necessarily "median wage" and instead describes a certain set of financial circumstances and economic freedom

Meat Recital
Mar 26, 2009

by zen death robot
There are people richer than me, so I'm not upper class. There are people poorer too, so I'm not lower class, and besides who wants to be lower class. That's it. That's all people think about when they think middle class.

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Helsing posted:

All of this would take time and it would take some really terrible external events. I'm not saying this is our future. I'm just warning it's really stupid to cheerleader the growing anger and frustration of a powerful and well armed ethnic group with a history of controlling the state. We've seen that scenario play out before and it's rarely pretty for anyone involved.
The people you're describing never "controlled the state", but were used instrumentally by the state to marginalize others. Your analysis of race has gotten weird and essentialist imo

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Furnaceface posted:

The overuse of the term middle class has really hit a point now where it has no meaning anymore. Every politician uses it to refer to everyone now. Thats not how the real world works. We wont have anyone working to fix the problems facing millions of Canadians in poverty if our people in charge cant even admit that we have poor people living in this country that are being crushed under the merciless boot of capitalism.

Lol you're just noticing this now? Not before and during the election?

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

blah_blah posted:

Congratulations on being a useful idiot for the likes of white dudes like Bob Rennie and Gregor Robertson.
Congratulations on being a useless idiot

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Arcsquad12 posted:

long range bomb truck

This is what the Superhornet isn't. It actually has terrible legs.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MA-Horus posted:

This is what the Superhornet isn't. It actually has terrible legs.

I thought they got those conformal fuel tanks for extended range?

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Funkdreamer posted:

The people you're describing never "controlled the state", but were used instrumentally by the state to marginalize others. Your analysis of race has gotten weird and essentialist imo

You think it's "weird and essentialist" to say that Britain and its colonies were controlled by white people? The fact that whiteness is a social construction doesn't mean white people themselves, including white governments, didn't take it seriously. And if you think using something instrumentally and believing it yourself are somehow incompatible then you're very naive.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I thought they got those conformal fuel tanks for extended range?

those cost money

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MA-Horus posted:

those cost money

Compared to an f-35 even with fuel pods a super hornet is far cheaper and more reliable

Funkdreamer
Jul 15, 2005

It'll be a blast

Helsing posted:

You think it's "weird and essentialist" to say that Britain and its colonies were controlled by white people?
That's not what you said. You said we need to avoid antagonizing angry whites because they "control the state" and I pointed out that the whites who are angry are not the whites who are in the power bloc, and now you're trying to reframe the argument over a breathtakingly obvious point about Britain and its colonies.

Helsing posted:

The fact that whiteness is a social construction doesn't mean white people themselves, including white governments, didn't take it seriously. And if you think using something instrumentally and believing it yourself are somehow incompatible then you're very naive.
Yes, I absolutely believe that different classes of white people interpret their whiteness differently, and I absolutely think Bill Morneau doesn't feel his whiteness is threatened by sardonic slights the way others gits do.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

Arcsquad12 posted:

Haha, the cons want their f-35s so bad. Anything would be better than those fat dumpster fires on wings. In all honesty much as I like the Rafale the super hornet is our best bet so I don't know why the opposition would be mad about getting a good long range bomb truck
Wait, did the government actually say we're going to sole-source the Super Hornet? Did I miss us saying that we're for sure out on the F35?

Kafka Esq.
Jan 1, 2005

"If you ever even think about calling me anything but 'The Crab' I will go so fucking crab on your ass you won't even see what crab'd your crab" -The Crab(TM)

Albino Squirrel posted:

Wait, did the government actually say we're going to sole-source the Super Hornet? Did I miss us saying that we're for sure out on the F35?

Lockheed seems to think so.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

Funkdreamer posted:

That's not what you said. You said we need to avoid antagonizing angry whites because they "control the state" and I pointed out that the whites who are angry are not the whites who are in the power bloc, and now you're trying to reframe the argument over a breathtakingly obvious point about Britain and its colonies.

Yes, I absolutely believe that different classes of white people interpret their whiteness differently, and I absolutely think Bill Morneau doesn't feel his whiteness is threatened by sardonic slights the way others gits do.

Here are the comments you're reacting to:

Helsing posted:

Aggravating ethnic tensions within a society tends to produce really horrific results.

Helsing posted:

State collapse and genocide are pretty extreme examples. I'd be more concerned about the growth of racist organisations and gangs. Just look at what has happened in Greece or some of the other European countries that have essentially been told they are going to have to accept permanent and severer drops in their living standards. I'd also be concerned that Canada's vaunted progressive attitudes toward gender and religion are not immutable. Some of our parties have even flirted with this kind of stuff in Quebec and we should be glad that it didn't go over very well.

All of this would take time and it would take some really terrible external events. I'm not saying this is our future. I'm just warning it's really stupid to cheerleader the growing anger and frustration of a powerful and well armed ethnic group with a history of controlling the state. We've seen that scenario play out before and it's rarely pretty for anyone involved.

I brought up the historical control of the government by white people because in most cases the narrative about how the majority or plurality group has to "take back" the government plays a big role in motivating racist or ethnic chauvinist organizations, not because I was saying that sardonic remarks about white people were going to prompt some kind of racist government backlash. I would also think it was really obvious from my post and the examples that I've been listing since this conversation started that I'm more concerned about how ethnic nationalism interacts with severe economic or political instability. As I said above, this is already happening in some places. And what you tend to see is that the ethnic group that views the state as belonging to it -- Germans in Germany, Greeks in Greece, Hungarians in Hungary, etc. -- starts to blame others and to concoct narratives about needing to retake control of that government, which leads to the rise of racist gangs and organizations.

Anyway, when THC says this:

THC posted:

White men deserve to feel less valued by society, and to actually be less valued. It's not enough to just make them feel bad

It already has started happening. But the main way it has manifested isn't sardonic slights, it's the disappearance of the old social contract guaranteeing the mass of the white male population relatively decent jobs with wages or salaries you can support a family and live a somewhat dignified existence on. Ideally this generous arrangement would have been extended to the excluded parts of the population (we'll set aside for a moment the question of whether this is feasible under our current economic system). Instead, we've moved in a direction of greater economic insecurity. That leaves people vulnerable to extremist ideologies, and given the state of Canadian society the ideologies I think are most likely to catch on would be right wing ones. For whites, in particular, that often means ethnic nationalism, "taking back society", etc.

You don't have to feel sympathetic for these people. Many of them are pretty unsympathetic. But cheering their growing anxiety and misery suggests to me a kind of dangerous complacency. It's a way for leftists to pretend they are on the winning side of history at a time when there's very little evidence to support that belief. I think that bothers me more than the actual sentiment: the attitude I detect lurking behind it. Also I can't help but notice that usually the people who say this the loudest are themselves white men who just happen to be economic winners in the current society, so it comes off more as a form of posturing than anything else.

I suppose you can reply that any gains for subaltern groups will generate some kind of resentful backlash, and sure, that's true, and often those changes are worth making anyway. But as I said above, heightening ethnic tension has historically produced terrible results. The white panic of the 60s and 70s is essentially what gave birth to neo.liberalism. The white panic of the 30s gave us fascism. I'm not personally in a huge rush to discover what other monsters it can birth.

Kindest Forums User
Mar 25, 2008

Let me tell you about my opinion about Bernie Sanders and why Donald Trump is his true successor.

You cannot vote Hillary Clinton because she is worse than Trump.
And is there anything being done to counter any rise of fascism? Correct me if I'm wrong but it doesn't even seem like liberal legislation like protecting ethnic minorities from hate crimes, community stewardship, integration programs, etc are helping, or even exist. But would it really matter if there was a strong incentive to introduce policy to better integrate refugees and immigrants. In fact, any programs that help refugees or immigrants have the opposite effect by being a source of resentment. Quite often the complaints I hear among white working class folk are generally economic issues. And you'll hear things like "hear I am struggling, meanwhile the government gave that Korean a grant to open up a convenience store down the street"(something a colleague said almost verbatim just a couple weeks ago). Of course you'll have the occasional lovely comment about burkas or whatever, but any earnest discussion usually leads to economic complaints.

And it's going to get worse. inequality is going to get worse. things aren't going to get better middle east. And climate change is going to make things a lot worse.

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

drat man I'm not saying throw them all on the unemployment rolls I'm just saying maybe the sexual appetites of Caucasian men should no longer be exclusively celebrated by our culture to the almost total exclusion of all else. Maybe it's a good thing that our sexuality is no longer perceived as having such grossly outsized value or validity compared to everyone else's (it still is way out of whack though)

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Jun 12, 2016

ocrumsprug
Sep 23, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THC posted:

drat man I'm not saying throw them all on the unemployment rolls I'm just saying maybe the sexual appetites of Caucasian men should no longer be exclusively celebrated by our culture to the almost total exclusion of all else. Maybe it's a good thing that our sexuality is no longer perceived as having such grossly outsized value or validity compared to everyone else's (it still is way out of whack though)

:staredog:

Thanks for clarifying.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

THC posted:

So, your complaint is about sex, and not money and power?

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica

Leofish posted:

So, your complaint is about sex, and not money and power?

I think someone forgot to take their antipsychotics

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

The specific comment I'm referring to is:

quote:

The last 40 or so years have... devalued white male heterosexuality

This is a good thing, for everyone, and it should continue, unironically. If this makes you flip out and want to shoot up a nightclub that's because you're a piece of poo poo and you should avail yourself of assisted dying services (it's legal now!)

Obviously I do not think that we should have this increasingly unequal distribution of wealth, but I have absolutely no patience or sympathy for those who resent women or queers or people of colour for the meagre social and economic gains they have enjoyed in recent times. And if we want practical solutions to the wealth disparity, I'm sorry to say they're going to be statistically focused more on people who aren't white straight men, just by virtue of the fact that other groups are still much worse off.

I don't think some people are going to stop hating women and Indians just because they're receiving basic universal income. The culture of patriarchy, heteronormativity and white supremacy has to change.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jun 13, 2016

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

THC posted:

This is a good thing, for everyone, and it should continue, unironically. If this makes you flip out and want to shoot up a nightclub that's because you're a piece of poo poo and you should avail yourself of assisted dying services (it's legal now!)

Maybe society just doesn't value you personally because you say stuff like that?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Maybe he's just a very angry person and should get some therapy :v:

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

PT6A posted:

Maybe he's just a very angry person and should get some therapy :v:

I thought this was therapy?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Ikantski posted:

I thought this was therapy?

No, this is abuse, argument therapy is down the hall.

Git.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
I completely agree with THC. Devaluing white male cis hetero identities is a very good thing the world needs to do. Decentering and acknowledging our positions helps all of us, and the privileged white male is a huge obstacle in that way.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Whoa whoa whoa put the gendered lens down there Niki Ashton phd

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

namaste faggots posted:

Whoa whoa whoa put the gendered lens down there Niki Ashton phd

I have a Women's Studies degree. :nyoron: (And know enough to understand what Ashton was talking about AND that she was completely misapplying it.)

blah_blah
Apr 15, 2006

Arivia posted:

(And know enough to understand what Ashton was talking about AND that she was completely misapplying it.)

It's great that we have a real authority here to explain how this complex situation should be properly viewed.

blah_blah fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Jun 13, 2016

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

BattleMaster posted:

I would be perfectly okay if we cut the crap and rebuilt the Forces as a competent self-defense force instead of these delusions that we can and should have stealth planes and submarines and get involved in everyone else's war like a fat nerdy little brother shouting HEY ME TOO

You all realize that the government priced out a self-defense force out in the 80's and it was too expensive then right? We just get a lovely bang for our buck as we generally shop American.

The Dark One
Aug 19, 2005

I'm your friend and I'm not going to just stand by and let you do this!
I too embrace the white cishet male's continued regression to the mean.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
It's cool guys, we found a better way to fight ISIS after all.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/isis-military-gamification-national-defence-canada-1.3625142

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

no the board game is supposed to help us FIND a better way to fight ISIS. We are currently still contributing 2 broken hockey sticks and an empty Timbits box.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

There's some kind of active situation that has shut down U of T's main downtown campus. One guy arrested, police and emergency workers on the scene, a lot of buildings are closed off.