Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Lady Naga posted:

I was raised Catholic.

"see I told you masturbation makes your eyesight worse you couldn't snipe people if they were salt statues"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darke GBF
Dec 30, 2006

The cold never bothered me anyway~
Widowmaker is what happens when you don't fundamentally understand how snipers work, and decide to just remove all their weaknesses while magnifying their strengths because you think you can just *do it better*.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Aside from her ult I don't want any of Widowmaker's abilities to be removed or changed because I think they're really interesting, they should just do a thorough numbers pass.

I guess maybe assault mode should be removed because it's neat as hell but I cannot think of a way to keep it without it being either too good at shoring up one of her weaknesses or too terrible to be unusable.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
So I see it mentioned a lot in this thread, what's the difference between a 20 tick server and a 60 tick one?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

I wish blizzards patch schedule wasnt glacial

how hard is it for a billion dollar company to test a few number changes and put it out the door

Widowmaker nerfs maybe before 2017 at this rate?

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

drrockso20 posted:

So I see it mentioned a lot in this thread, what's the difference between a 20 tick server and a 60 tick one?

In the simplest terms it's the amount of times the server sends positional data to the end user, there are some handy infographics out there

Mortimer posted:

I wish blizzards patch schedule wasnt glacial

how hard is it for a billion dollar company to test a few number changes and put it out the door

Widowmaker nerfs maybe before 2017 at this rate?

I'd rather have a patch every couple a months that's carefully considered and playtested instead of horrible balance-ruining ones every few weeks, and I'm sure Blizzard appreciates not having to request certification every few weeks either.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013

drrockso20 posted:

It's also worth pointing out that your client sends information to the servers at 60 tick, but receives information at 20 tick.

A 20 tickrate client update means that per one second, the client receives updated network information twenty times. That's actually not really that much, considering that most of us regular users have 60hz monitors and if you were to try out a 144hz monitor on a game, you would immediately see the difference in animation update rate on anything modern. The result is that it creates the illusion of lag. The most obvious I have encountered is snipe battles - try to shoot a Widowmaker, and on your side you hit them then die, but on the Killcam you'll see that you were killed before you fired. Your actions aren't being lost in the vacuum, or anything - it's just that with the slow update rate, occasionally you'll find yourself taking an action on your side when in reality you're already dead.

This is extremely frustrating.

It also causes slight problems with peaking. You might think you're safe peaking when you really aren't because of slightly delayed update rates.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Lady Naga posted:

Aside from her ult I don't want any of Widowmaker's abilities to be removed or changed because I think they're really interesting, they should just do a thorough numbers pass.

I guess maybe assault mode should be removed because it's neat as hell but I cannot think of a way to keep it without it being either too good at shoring up one of her weaknesses or too terrible to be unusable.

Something like Widowmaker needs an across the board nerf. It's sort of unreal how this character made it through the beta.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Night Blade posted:

Something like Widowmaker needs an across the board nerf. It's sort of unreal how this character made it through the beta.

I'm not really sure what you're trying to say?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

a cat on an apple posted:

It's also worth pointing out that your client sends information to the servers at 60 tick, but receives information at 20 tick.

A 20 tickrate client update means that per one second, the client receives updated network information twenty times. That's actually not really that much, considering that most of us regular users have 60hz monitors and if you were to try out a 144hz monitor on a game, you would immediately see the difference in animation update rate on anything modern. The result is that it creates the illusion of lag. The most obvious I have encountered is snipe battles - try to shoot a Widowmaker, and on your side you hit them then die, but on the Killcam you'll see that you were killed before you fired. Your actions aren't being lost in the vacuum, or anything - it's just that with the slow update rate, occasionally you'll find yourself taking an action on your side when in reality you're already dead.

This is extremely frustrating.

It also causes slight problems with peaking. You might think you're safe peaking when you really aren't because of slightly delayed update rates.

Sometimes you swear you mashed Shift/Q/E and you still die.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Had a pug round against 6 Symmetra's on the first point, and 6 Mei's on the second point (Hanamura). We easily stomped them. After the match was over it did the reinstancing thing and was like "putting you in a better game". I'm then greeted with this

It was going into the second round of a KOTH. So eventually I was able to hit H to bring up the characters to actually play, but I was frozen here until then. The team I was put on proceeded to get utterly destroyed by the other team and just kept going in one by one. Thanks for the better game Blizz :geno:

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Overwatch: Try countering Widowmaker as Genji, Winston, or Widowmaker

wit
Jul 26, 2011

Darke GBF posted:

Widowmaker is what happens when you don't fundamentally understand how snipers work, and decide to just remove all their weaknesses while magnifying their strengths because you think you can just *do it better*.

They did do it better. The demographic isn't eternally pissy CoD players. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if that was deliberate decision and a high five after someone said "but people who call you a friend of the family in a high voice on mic might not want to play it then".

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

wit posted:

They did do it better. The demographic isn't eternally pissy CoD players. I wouldn't be surprised in the least if that was deliberate decision and a high five after someone said "but people who call you a friend of the family in a high voice on mic might not want to play it then".

Wait, how does making sniping easier deter that crowd from sniping?

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

wit posted:

what the hell are you talking about dude

"widowmaker is overpowered"
"actually the demographic that plays it is much more pleasant"

?????

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

Dias posted:

Wait, how does making sniping easier deter that crowd from sniping?

I think the idea is that more people who hate sniping will play her if she's easy, which means that the volume of CODbros to 'regular people' is more balanced in regular peoples' favour? I don't see how that precludes CODbros from playing her though...

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

wit posted:

This makes perfect sense.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

drrockso20 posted:

it's sort of like how 30fps is more cinematic than 60fps

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Dear wit,

I just soloed a Soldier and Roadhog that weren't paying attention, while I pushed the payload!

:whatup:

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

wit posted:

uhhhhHHHHHH

Fans
Jun 27, 2013

A reptile dysfunction

drrockso20 posted:

Ever been shot behind a wall, only to find out you weren't behind a wall on their screen because it was still running you in there and so you died?

That's why 20 tick is worse than 60 tick.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Hoo boy was this dude salty that our team had 3 Torbs

edit: There was SO MUCH armor. The point was flooded with it

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Jun 12, 2016

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:
I saw a dude ragequit 30 seconds into a round yesterday because we were attacking on Anubis and the defense team had two Torbs, a Bastion, a Rein, a Widow, and a Lucio to lock down the first point.

We proceeded to win the game in about four minutes

A good Widow is pretty difficult to counter w/o anything other than a better Widow and that's the only reason I think she really needs a nerf. I'd just crank up the charge time to be closer to TF2's, you shouldn't be able to double-bodyshot people so quickly.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Zorodius posted:

Overwatch: Try countering Widowmaker as Genji, Winston, or Widowmaker

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Macaluso posted:

Hoo boy was this dude salty that our team had 3 Torbs

edit: There was SO MUCH armor. The point was flooded with it

I forgot, can enemies pick up your armor?

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
I think the design of giving Widowmaker everything is intentional, because it's apparent in most heroes. Genji, Mccree, and Mei, for example, kind of have everything, too, in that anything more you could load their kits with would be largely redundant. They all have insane mid-range harass that is accurate and can be enough to kill weaker enemies. They also just win 1v1s if they catch the enemy off-guard, unless the enemy is another Mccree who just flashfans. Genji has tons of mobility passively, so what did they give him for his skills? More mobility that resets on kills, and an Ult that has a crazy fast TTK. If Genji somehow gets in over his head, he has his Reflect available, too. Mei can take anyone out if she sticks long enough to freeze, and she's a 250 HP Hero just to allow her to do that. If she takes too much damage, she has a self-heal and invulnerability skill, and she has a literal solid wall for blocking maneuvers, flanks, area denial... and on top of that, her Ult can easily result in a Team Kill or leaves a gigantic denial location like D.Va's Ult does. Mccree does nutso damage, so they gave him a stun, a dash that lets him reset his nutso damage instantly, a cigar, and High Noon.

I kind of think of it as MOBA Hero design, because even though it's a shootans game, everyone kind of has all the tools available to them that covers their own weaknesses, and it's made especially apparent against mediocre to bad enemies. Just earlier today I contested a Lijiang Tower: Control Center for 98 seconds as a (practically solo) Lucio just by wall riding around walls and crossfading the hell out of the enemy team so they couldn't ever catch or kill me, because they were mediocre at focusing and aiming.

D.Va and Zenyatta are the only apparent exceptions I can think of because they have actual relevant weaknesses counter to their design. D.Va wants to be a skirmisher but she has neither the sticking power nor the survivability to skirmish, and Zenyatta wants to be a peak harasser because of his health but peaking means you drop LoS and thus your orbs.

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Just bought this game a couple days ago. Halp, I'm addicted to hooking with Roadhog.

TheresaJayne
Jul 1, 2011
Well i just bought overwatch, so far i have been doing ok, however after 12 games in a row and needing a break i left the game to open my loot boxes and check out some other heros.

I got a message saying "do not keep leaving all your gamees"

WTF? I left one game after 12 in a row....

Note, the spelling of games above is what the message said.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

Fans posted:

Widowmaker is what happens when you balance Snipers for consoles and not PC.

This is actually a big part of why I play OW on PS4 (and it was a gift). I suck at competitive FPS so this game I figured hey, why not take a small handicap to my mediocre ability in exchange for a HUGE handicap on any leet snipers abilities.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

To be honest, while I enjoy the aspects of Mercy and Lucio that are not their more or less passive healing and buffing, it would probably be for the best if they were removed. I don't think their form of supporting adds anything positive to the game.

Hell, Mercy would probably be more fun if they completely removed her healing and buffing stick even without giving her anything else.

a cat on an apple
Apr 28, 2013
What I was trying to say with that effort post is pretty much every hero has the capability to be as annoying as Widowmaker and Mccree in the right hands. The problem is that Widowmaker and Mccree get to do it with an insanely low skill floor, which just makes it exceedingly frustrating. It's frustrating to get stomped by a really good Genji, but to be fair a good Genji is a crazy display of skill with how fast paced he is. Getting stomped by a good Widowmaker is just :rolleyes: because all that means is they play sniper rifles in other games and they get it EZ Mode in Overwatch.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

chumbler posted:

To be honest, while I enjoy the aspects of Mercy and Lucio that are not their more or less passive healing and buffing, it would probably be for the best if they were removed. I don't think their form of supporting adds anything positive to the game.

Hell, Mercy would probably be more fun if they completely removed her healing and buffing stick even without giving her anything else.

No.

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

TheresaJayne posted:

Well i just bought overwatch, so far i have been doing ok, however after 12 games in a row and needing a break i left the game to open my loot boxes and check out some other heros.

I got a message saying "do not keep leaving all your gamees"

WTF? I left one game after 12 in a row....

Note, the spelling of games above is what the message said.

i hate to tell you this but people can type in the game and you can see the words that they type

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

OH NO its a doublepost

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames

Mister Fister posted:

I forgot, can enemies pick up your armor?

No.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

Lucio and Symmetra are very good at getting kills and staying alive in quickplay. Lucio's hard-to-hit and can disengage from fights, and symmetra can retreat to turret traps. I have an easier time with them in combat than many of the combat-chars. Healing/shields/teleporter on top of that's awesome.

Verranicus
Aug 18, 2009

by VideoGames
I suck at making turret nests with Symmetra. Every time I've tried they get picked off well before they catch anyone.

Dominoes
Sep 20, 2007

I like spreading them out, and placing them around entrances. They seem best in areas where their fire supplements you or your team's weapons, or traps an injured/fleeing enemy.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

chumbler posted:

i think you're drastically underestimating how frail non-tanks are in this game. if people couldn't be healed most encounters would basically be one person dying incredibly quickly but being left with ~50 health and having to hobble away from the fight to find health packs, and those skirmishes would be incredibly quick in most cases. healing isn't just there because "class based games have healers", but because they'd either drastically need to increase individual character survivability or the game itself would flow very differently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Did they fix the turret placement exploit in Dorado?