Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Goetta posted:

Ok jesus christ

Fwiw I love you and your AV

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo Jackson
Jul 23, 2013

Pomp posted:

You can't even judge based on your own experiences with the netcode because it's so bad the effects are asymmetrical

How in the world does Capcom keep loving this up (among other things)? Genuinely curious. Do they lack the funds? The talent? Is it just really friggin hard since the Us Is Big And Has Bad Infrastructure?

Bo Jackson fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Jun 12, 2016

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Bo Jackson posted:

How in the world does Capcom keep loving this up (among other things)? Genuinely curious

I think it happens when you don't pay enough or staff enough people on a project.

Ever heard of the project managment triangle?

Speed Quality Cost

You can pick two.
Speed refers to time required to deliver the product.
Quality of course the quality of the product
and Cost the price it takes to make the product.
You can only pick two and one will always suffer.

You have three options:

-Make it fast and have a high standard meaning it will be pricy.
-Make it quick and cheap but lovely.
-Make it high quality and cheap, but take forever.

Capcom amazingly manages to avoid this proven working method by just picking cheap. Causing quality and speed to suffer.

Basically they're understaffed, and underhiring. They're not looking for the best and brightest they're looking for the cheapest and only hiring one of them.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't think they're understaffed. If anything this game seems to me like it's got too many cooks more than anything else.

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I've found new fun in this game once I dropped Laura & Alex and started focusing on Ken. Despite all the bullshit surrounding this game it's street fighter and it's still satisfying to press buttons in this game, and I press buttons with him.
(gently caress this game)

man nurse
Feb 18, 2014

I still like this game and I hope it gets better.

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Baal posted:

I don't think they're understaffed. If anything this game seems to me like it's got too many cooks more than anything else.

What about the programmer that claims to have been the single man responsible for working on the network code etc on his linked in profile?

I'd go find the post in this thread but :effort: .

Microwaves Mom fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jun 12, 2016

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

apple posted:

I like ferrets :3:

all mustelids are extremely good and my friend

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JweO4tcyHg0

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bo Jackson posted:

How in the world does Capcom keep loving this up (among other things)? Genuinely curious. Do they lack the funds? The talent? Is it just really friggin hard since the Us Is Big And Has Bad Infrastructure?

GGPO, Killer Instict and from what I've heard the new MK netcode don't have the problem, so no it has nothing to do with the US. Japanese corporate culture is just incredibly obstinate.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Microwaves Mom posted:

What about the programmer that claims to have been the single man responsible for working on the network code etc on his linked in profile?

I'd go find the post in this thread but :effort: .

I think he was claiming to be solely responsible for the server stuff. So matchmaking, "Capcom Fighters Network", that sort of stuff, and not the actual peer-to-peer gameplay stuff.
So it's not his fault that the netcode is rear end, but it might be his fault that you can't see connection quality from the lobby browser

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

Klades posted:

I think he was claiming to be solely responsible for the server stuff. So matchmaking, "Capcom Fighters Network", that sort of stuff, and not the actual peer-to-peer gameplay stuff.
So it's not his fault that the netcode is rear end, but it might be his fault that you can't see connection quality from the lobby browser

I wasn't saying it was his fault. Just saying one guy to handle that stuff yikes.

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bo Jackson posted:

Is it just really friggin hard since the Us Is Big And Has Bad Infrastructure?
While it's not trivial, the gdmag article that explains how to do it and covers the common problems (including asymmetrical rollbacks) has been freely available for years, and if you don't want to bother you can just buy GGPO3, which is cheap and works with UE4 out of the box. So it's purely ignorance at work.

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

Baal posted:

I don't think a game that's like 40% done reeks of having too many people working on it.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Brosnan posted:

I don't think a game that's like 40% done reeks of having too many people working on it.

Yeah, wasn't there a developer or designer who said he was working solo on the game until about a month before "release"?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

TheTofuShop posted:

Yeah, wasn't there a developer or designer who said he was working solo on the game until about a month before "release"?

it was a network developer iirc

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Brosnan posted:

Fair enough

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Microwaves Mom posted:

I wasn't saying it was his fault. Just saying one guy to handle that stuff yikes.

Well, depending on the exact scope of his work, it's not entirely outlandish to imagine it being a one-man job. And that's assuming it actually was, since we're basically going off of claims a guy made about himself on a publicly posted resume.
Now, even if it was a one-man job, how good he was at that job, how much oversight he had, and whether that oversight would have helped any, are another matter entirely. If nothing else, current evidence does not suggest that Capcom put their top tier software developers on this (floats to track character position? why the gently caress).

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

Klades posted:

Well, depending on the exact scope of his work, it's not entirely outlandish to imagine it being a one-man job. And that's assuming it actually was, since we're basically going off of claims a guy made about himself on a publicly posted resume.
Now, even if it was a one-man job, how good he was at that job, how much oversight he had, and whether that oversight would have helped any, are another matter entirely. If nothing else, current evidence does not suggest that Capcom put their top tier software developers on this (floats to track character position? why the gently caress).

dont forget lack of directinput support meaning the official branded controllers for the game did not function with said game on PC until the sticks themselves were patched. also its over the 1 year anniversary of capcom acknowledging the lack of directinput support for the game from beta :toot:

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Zand posted:

dont forget lack of directinput support meaning the official branded controllers for the game did not function with said game on PC until the sticks themselves were patched. also its over the 1 year anniversary of capcom acknowledging the lack of directinput support for the game from beta :toot:

A brief look at the internet suggests that Unreal engine doesn't have DirectInput support built-in, so I'm guessing what happened is they just used what was there (Xinput) without checking if that was going to be an issue, and now they're too busy putting out fires to sit down and actually figure out how to make it work, assuming that they have the technical know-how to do so in the first place.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood
Why would juri even be wearing an eye-patch?

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

Her robo eye is the source of her power or something, that's why it glows when you use her ultras

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

SectumSempra posted:

Why would juri even be wearing an eye-patch?

Her eyeball was called a feng shui engine or something. It was like a miniature version of the Seth's power source. The eyepatch would imply that she's had it removed.

SectumSempra
Jun 22, 2011

Bi-Han now we've got Bad Blood

A.o.D. posted:

Her eyeball was called a feng shui engine or something. It was like a miniature version of the Seth's power source. The eyepatch would imply that she's had it removed.

She had more then one and referenced it in one of her endings.

And her losing feng shui engine would literally be the dumbest move capcom could make.
edit- HAHA wait, i mean very silly move because not having your cash shop ready 4 months in is also pretty dumb

SectumSempra fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Jun 12, 2016

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
it''s so juri can dramatically take the eyepatch off and reveal her eye magic like in naruto because street fighter is a cool fighting game and not anime

anyway who''s looking forward to the schoolgirl ninja character?

Microwaves Mom
Nov 8, 2015

by zen death robot

SectumSempra posted:

She had more then one and referenced it in one of her endings.

And her losing feng shui engine would literally be the dumbest move capcom could make.
edit- HAHA wait, i mean very silly move because not having your cash shop ready 4 months in is also pretty dumb

Yeah killing feng shui would be a dumb move in the line of many extremely stupid dumb moves capcom has made and baffled me with.

darealkooky posted:

it''s so juri can dramatically take the eyepatch off and reveal her eye magic like in naruto because street fighter is a cool fighting game and not anime

anyway who''s looking forward to the schoolgirl ninja character?

gently caress. They're naruoting this game up.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

i figured it out

capcom is trying to use reverse psychology to sell games

it's the only answer that works

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

How Can Footsies Be Real If Our Feet Aren't Real

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy
His proportions are freaking me out right now

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

Brosnan posted:

His proportions are freaking me out right now

New thread title.

zelah
Dec 1, 2004

Diabetes, you are not invited to my pizza party.
Isn't the feng shui engine just Chun Li's current v-trigger?

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

Gold Dust Gasoline
Jul 11, 2006

just be yourself and you'll be fine
Pillbug

Lol

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

zelah posted:

Isn't the feng shui engine just Chun Li's current v-trigger?

I wish.

I laughed.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

bullshit jab antiairs

impulse 7 effect
Jun 2, 2011

It is so beautiful

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

watching excellent adventures play with incredible amounts of lag on supposed 5 bar matches is very funny

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

not to mention the 5-10 mins of every episode waiting in training for opponents

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Real hurthling! posted:

watching excellent adventures play with incredible amounts of lag on supposed 5 bar matches is very funny

I don't even watch anymore

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Fereydun posted:

How Can Footsies Be Real If Our Feet Aren't Real

Someone photoshop out his left leg

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

today they had to go play the same guy that they already beat in ranked again in a lobby because they were in training so long that they felt they had to accept his invite to have a show. all their matches against this guy had heavy stuttering