Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I think Secret Wars would be a pretty easy solo read.
You don't really need to know why the universes are crashing into each other, or have the full context of Black Priests, Beyonders, White Swans and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah I read Secret Wars without having read any Hickman and while some of it was lost on me the basic idea of it was easy to grasp.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

I guess, but SW 1 is basically all the "universes smashing" that you get before it dovetails into a bunch of character work for Reed and Doom (most of which is lost on you unless you understand how important to Hickman Reed and Doom are) and establishing the new ruleset for Battleworld.

Especially considering that the whole appeal of SW is that it picks and chooses favorite Marvel events, storylines, and What Ifs from its history and smashes them all together I'm really wondering how any of it works if that's your first event. Especially all the Ultimate universe stuff, considering Miles and Maker are fairly significant to the plot as written.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

SW might not work as baby's first Marvel, but if you have even a passing familiarity with the characters you can pick things up pretty quickly.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

If Secret Wars #1 was anyone's first comic book, I envy them. That's a wild way to get introduced to the universe.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
Yeah if you literally have never read a marvel comic and have no idea who any of these people are, it's bad. But if you are like me and recently got back into comics so you are familiar with stuff like Inferno or various characters in general it was fine with no lead up beyond the recap page.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Too many responses to the "iconic Marvel arc/run" without a mention of Waid/Wieringo Fantastic Four.

I'd honestly say Duggan's Deadpool is getting up there, though it spins its wheels sometimes.

Fezz
Aug 31, 2001

You should feel ashamed.
Milligan and Allred's X-Force/X-Statix. Gone too soon.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

If Marvel Unlimited has Fantastic Four #45-53, and Thor #160-169, you'll see Stan and Jack at their best.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

SilverSupernova posted:

Reader is a great character who was ruined by the writers' misconception that the readers give the slightest poo poo about Johnny Storm's affair with Crystal/Medusa over him.

The same writer has always written the book.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Also the Johnny Storm/Medusa/Crystal stuff was really good.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

-Blackadder- posted:

So what would you guys consider your personal must read marvel runs/arcs? Trying to expand my awareness.

Walt Simonson's THOR.

Go loving read Walt Simonson's Thor run if you have not already done so. Do it now.

NOW

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Jason Aaron's Ghost Rider is easily the best work ever done with the character.

Kurt Busiek's Iron Man run is still my favorite IM era.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So I mainly read alternate universe stuff like Elseworlds in DC or miniseries from Marvel. I like the "but with a twist" formula, not to mention these series being shorter and contained means there's less time to rot or for incompetent writers to come onboard and ruin everything.

I was wondering if any of "The End" series from about a decade ago are worth checking out? I was interested in Hulk: The End 'cuz I like Peter David's work.

Also did anyone here ever read JMS' Supreme Power?

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Walt Simonson's THOR.

Go loving read Walt Simonson's Thor run if you have not already done so. Do it now.

I was going to recommend this. After Kirby, no one else has really captured what an alien place Asgard is. It's very 1970s/early 80s science fantasy which is lost today.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Jungle Action Black Panther/ Kirby Black Panther/Priest Black Panther
Jim Starlin Warlock saga. Also include the original Thanos stuff
Kirby/Steranko/Englehart/Waid/DeMatteis/Bru/Lee/Stern/Gruenwald Captain America

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NikkolasKing posted:

Also did anyone here ever read JMS' Supreme Power?

It had so much potential but it fizzled in less than a year. It's really not very good overall.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rhyno posted:

It had so much potential but it fizzled in less than a year. It's really not very good overall.

Yeah, I read the first volume and thought it was pretty good but everything I heard about what came after was negative.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

NikkolasKing posted:

Yeah, I read the first volume and thought it was pretty good but everything I heard about what came after was negative.

It just became edgy for the sake of being edgy and then sales crapped out so they relaunched it as an MK series which went nowhere.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Rhyno posted:

It just became edgy for the sake of being edgy and then sales crapped out so they relaunched it as an MK series which went nowhere.

Its almost as if JMS went on a long pointless walk across America that he quit half way through.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

NikkolasKing posted:

So I mainly read alternate universe stuff like Elseworlds in DC or miniseries from Marvel. I like the "but with a twist" formula, not to mention these series being shorter and contained means there's less time to rot or for incompetent writers to come onboard and ruin everything.

I was wondering if any of "The End" series from about a decade ago are worth checking out? I was interested in Hulk: The End 'cuz I like Peter David's work.

Punisher and Hulk were really good. All of the rest, as I recall, were duds in one way or the other.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Fantastic Four: The End has great Alan Davis art.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

I don't know if it's a must read work, but Gerber's Omega the Unknown is short, not overwhelmingly '70s, and interesting as heck. Pair it with his Howard the Duck #16, and you have a good look at a fascinating dude.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Squizzle posted:

I don't know if it's a must read work, but Gerber's Omega the Unknown is short, not overwhelmingly '70s, and interesting as heck. Pair it with his Howard the Duck #16, and you have a good look at a fascinating dude.

Jonathan Lethem also did a thing with Omega the Unknown that was pretty out there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Hulk The End is really good. X-Men The End is horrendous. I think those are the only ones I read.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Endless Mike posted:

Hulk The End is really good. X-Men The End is horrendous. I think those are the only ones I read.

Claremont wrote X-Men The End, right?

I never understood him, or rather, I never understood his reputation. It seems many regard him as THE X-Men guy at one point but later on he's just viewed with absolute derision. I see the same thing with Frank Miller. I hear endless praise for his Daredevil but ask anyone about him and they have nothing but scathing comments.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

NikkolasKing posted:

I never understood him, or rather, I never understood his reputation. It seems many regard him as THE X-Men guy at one point but later on he's just viewed with absolute derision. I see the same thing with Frank Miller. I hear endless praise for his Daredevil but ask anyone about him and they have nothing but scathing comments.

As far as I can tell they both had strong opening runs and then slowly petered out the longer they stayed with the run. They also both have some weird fetishes that people latch on to as a way to criticize them.

I don't know if I'd personally call Claremont "good" but he does have the most influence over the X-Men and almost twenty years of storytelling is hard to reverse if you want to do something different.

Alvarez IV
Aug 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
You all seem to be done mentioning your favorite arcs, but no one said the original Age of Apocalypse and that's a drat shame. 90s edge done right, and one of the only 90s X-Men arcs to go that dark and not turn out a mess. I feel like if it and Onslaught had been written at the opposite points in time, the overall story that that created would redeem Onslaught a bit and make more sense altogether. First you get Professor X and gently caress him up beyond reproach, then once the dust settles from that you show why the world still needed him. They could have even tied it together with Franklin Richards' world in a bubble being the AoA universe because he in his childlike way of thinking created a world more or less like 616 but without the guy that just ruined everything.

And it may be alternate universe and not count, but Marvel 1602 is ART. Gay for Gaiman, film at 11.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I don't like how Cap is portrayed at the end of 1602 but otherwise it is good stuff. Every single follow up is bad though.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

NikkolasKing posted:

Miller went batfuck crazy and that's why people hate him now. Claremont just sort of petered out in quality, plus he has a very "of the time style": while I love the story beats and character development he did, I can't stand reading his dialogue so he's hard to go back to for me, and I imagine reading hella 1980s comic dialogue in 2003 or whatever was jarring.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Miller's body of work went from iconic character-defining stuff to Batman calling Robin retarded and Not-Batman killing all the muslims. His batting average has lowered over time due to all the horrible things he keeps making.

Almost every creator gets lovely over time. Some of them are just dicks about it. The smart ones just retire.

John Yossarian
Aug 24, 2013
I used to love Jim Lee's art in the 90's, but not so much anymore.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

John Yossarian posted:

I used to love Jim Lee's art in the 90's, but not so much anymore.

There swirling rumors that he has some serious issues with his drawing hand in recent years. Compare Hush to his Justice League issues and there is a noticeable drop in quality.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Rhyno posted:

There swirling rumors that he has some serious issues with his drawing hand in recent years. Compare Hush to his Justice League issues and there is a noticeable drop in quality.

I dunno, the recent costume designs he did for Rebirth were of widely varying quality in terms of design but they were all drawn well.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

JoshTheStampede posted:

I dunno, the recent costume designs he did for Rebirth were of widely varying quality in terms of design but they were all drawn well.

Drawing a single design is one thing, 22 pages of dynamic action is another.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

NikkolasKing posted:

He made the x-men into an actual franchise. He made x-men into one of the biggest things in the 80s when before it was just reprints.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

bobkatt013 posted:

He made the x-men into an actual franchise. He made x-men into one of the biggest things in the 80s when before it was just reprints.

Yeah, that's what I've always heard. Hard to imagine X-Men used to be one of Marvel's lesser titles. I've never read older X stuff, though. Maybe I should correct this.

On a related note though, a couple questions.
1. The earlier post mentioned Jim Lee X-Men? I've heard that was the X-Men that inspired the 90s toon? Well he was an artist and not a writer I think. I actually, when checking on Claremont, found a list of the best and worst X-writers according to some guy and he had this 90s writer listed as one of the worst. I guess we can kind of blame that guy for X-Men TAS as well as the actual comics? Assuming they are as bad as I've heard.

2. Should I read Days of Future Past? I've seen it enough, what with TAS kind of doing it and also the film. I'm curious about the original.

Not particularly relevant but I post on a forum that absolutely hates comic X-Men or rather, comic mutants. They say the entire concept doesn't make sense because, unlike the various adaptations where it's just humans vs. mutants, they are merely one group of superpowered individuals in a whole planet full of said people, yet they constantly get persecuted. I kind of always wondered about this myself. Is there any real explanation for why they are singled out?

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Jun 13, 2016

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro
The main thing to get used to reading any comics from before the mid-90s or so is the compressed storytelling that was common then.

Whereas now every comic is "cinematic" and so has panels of silence, facial expressions, etc, back then it was much more densely packed dialogue and basically no empty panels.

As a result WAY more stuff happens in a single issue, to the point where it seems rushed or cramped sometimes but that's just how comics worked. The upside of that is it often is less of a time commitment to say oh hey I'll go read Days of Future Past or Dark Phoenix or whatever.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The sad thing about Jim Lee is finding out he tried a different style for a second in the early 2000s, and I guess nobody wanted that from him.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2014/08/23/year-of-the-artist-day-235-jim-lee-part-4-flinch-1/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

NikkolasKing posted:

To some extent, you have to have been reading Claremont at the time, or at least you have to read some of the contemporary Marvel books. When he was at his peak, he was doing work that was much more densely textured and complex than virtually anyone else at Marvel, with the occasional exception of stuff like the "Demon in the Bottle" arc.

His later work gets increasingly fetish-laden and prone to inadvertent self-parody, which is the reason for the modern reaction to him, but like I said in the "poo poo That Actually Happened" thread, Claremont has had a tremendous ripple effect on the entirety of Western superhero comics. If Lee and Kirby are modern comics' grandfathers, Claremont is the weird uncle who's in and out of the assisted living facility.

• Locked thread