Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

fknlo posted:

So it could still be that, right?

Maybe. Different news sources have been updating differently. For example, the NYT still has absolutely no mention of Islam, but they have the "domestic terrorism" quote, and have just added that two "discretionary explosions" were used by the cops to distract the gunman- which may account for the talk about bombs.

Lord Binky posted:

That's a weird word haha, but I'm thinking Christian and Islamic extremism are both pretty parsimonious. Again, good word though I don't know what it means.

The word, 'parsimony,' on its own means "stinginess or unwillingness to spend money." When used in the context of describing an answer/explanation/interpretation/thesis it can also be used to mean "simplicity and sparingness" (i.e. the most parsimonious interpretation of a phenomenon is the one that invokes the fewest steps or logical leaps. So "my six year old cousin broke the lamp in the TV room while tossing his favorite ball around and watching DBZ" > "a bird flew in, smashed the lamp, and flew out again"), although I'm starting to think that that usage is mostly limited to evolutionary biologists.

Hahahahahahahaha

Hasn't he been getting called out for that for almost a year now? I love that he just now figured to "explain" it. There's no way that won't make the press dogpile on him that much harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets
It's gone.

nimh
Sep 18, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

greatn posted:

One follows the other

yeah for the LGBT community, discrimination & death follows islam

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Hahahahahahahaha

Hasn't he been getting called out for that for almost a year now? I love that he just now figured to "explain" it. There's no way that won't make the press dogpile on him that much harder.

He gave the "I was imitating him groveling" bs excuse back when it first happened too. It just went away because the Republicans didn't give a poo poo and were too convinced that they could kill Trump by saying he wasn't conservative enough or liked imminent domain. Now its Hillary and the Dems so they're going to push it and constructed an ad that really works on people, so he's going to have to start answering that question again.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Electric Bugaloo posted:

The word, 'parsimony,' on its own means "stinginess or unwillingness to spend money." When used in the context of describing an answer/explanation/interpretation/thesis it can also be used to mean "simplicity and sparingness" (i.e. the most parsimonious interpretation of a phenomenon is the one that invokes the fewest steps or logical leaps. So "my six year old cousin broke the lamp in the TV room while tossing his favorite ball around and watching DBZ" > "a bird flew in, smashed the lamp, and flew out again"), although I'm starting to think that that usage is mostly limited to evolutionary biologists.

I think most people would call that applying Occam's razor.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

haveblue posted:

I think most people would call that applying Occam's razor.

Yep, and my old undergrad advisor would constantly use both interchangeably. You're right though, it's a better choice.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I don't think it's really fair to say deadly violence against LGBT people is uniquely Islamic when someone tried to blow up a Target bathroom over their trans bathroom policies less than a week ago.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
It's only been a few hours and the conversation has already gone this way. We're getting more and more efficient at this. Keep it up, America.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

I don't think it's really fair to say deadly violence against LGBT people is uniquely Islamic when someone tried to blow up a Target bathroom over their trans bathroom policies less than a week ago.

Turned out no, that was someone trying to make meth in a Target bathroom that went wrong.

BIG-DICK-BUTT-FUCK
Jan 26, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

That was confirmed to be not a bomb but someone who had eaten a burrito.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Most people are not aware, but this town has one of the larger gay communities in the US. I know a lot of people in that community here. To my knowledge no one I know was killed.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

nimh posted:

yeah for the LGBT community, discrimination & death follows islam

People are still killed and attacked in shocking numbers in America for being gay or trans by Muslims, Christians, atheists, and more.

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

something about a lie getting halfway around the world before the truth get somehting somethign

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."

greatn posted:

People are still killed and attacked in shocking numbers in America for being gay or trans by Muslims, Christians, atheists, and more.

Plus Christian radicals don't really need to go outside the law to make us (and other minority groups) suffer, they have the GOP for that.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc
Geez, over fifty casualties at the club.

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
Good lord :(

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
That death number isn't going to stay at twenty is it? 😭

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

greatn posted:

That death number isn't going to stay at twenty is it? 😭

It's at 50.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

The post above just said 50 casualties, that means death or injury.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
If you had automatic weapons in a crowded nightclub you'd have to be really unlucky to only manage to kill 20 people, I think.

Also I hate that America has taken away the feelings I should be experiencing about something like this.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

greatn posted:

The Orlando mayor is giving a press conference right now, 50 dead and 53 injured.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Samurai Sanders posted:

If you had automatic weapons in a crowded nightclub you'd have to be really unlucky to only manage to kill 20 people, I think.

Also I hate that America has taken away the feelings I should be experiencing about something like this.

Yeah, it sucks that I just realized this morning that I'm desensitized.

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
BBC identified the shooter.

bbc posted:

The BBC understands the name of the suspect was Omar Mateen, aged 29.
http://www.bbc.com/news/36510272

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

greatn posted:

From: https://www.theguardian.com/world/live/2016/jun/12/florida-nightclub-shooting-terrorism-suspect-updates

Mayor Dyer confirmed to a press conference that there were 50 killed and 53 hospitalised in the shooting, not 20 killed and 42 hospitalised as initially reported by police.

:(

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc
50 dead

53 injured

greatn posted:

They clarified, press doesn't treat "casualty" the same as the military does

Rip Testes
Jan 29, 2004

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll be glad to make an exception.

greatn posted:

watching NBC it says 50 dead, 53 injured.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Young Orc
This lineup of people speaking is like some dark sketch comedy. What're they up to, six?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
God drat it. Is that the biggest mass shooting in American history?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

greatn posted:

God drat it. Is that the biggest mass shooting in American history?

Since 1984.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Sure is! Enjoy the endless politicizing over the largest shooting in American history being at a gay nightclub during Pride week.

BEAR GRYLLZ
Jul 30, 2006

I have strong erections for Israel.
Strong, pathetic erections.

Teddybear posted:

Since 1984.

Nope, it's the deadliest ever.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

https://twitter.com/ashtonpittman/status/741997239636086784

welp

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sir Tonk posted:

50 dead

53 injured

They clarified, press doesn't treat "casualty" the same as the military does

God drat.

From what I've seen so far he was US born to parents from Afghanistan? So this might lead to some more interesting stuff than "Ban Muslims from entering the US" rhetoric.

Also, there was a good guy with a gun there and it didn't stop this, so we'll get to see what happens with that usual angle

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007
sounds like the shooter got triggered

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
Feel free to disregard this post.

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Don't rush to judgement this didn't have anything to do with it being a gay nightclub and further more...

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Holy poo poo, that is more than most military engagements these days. Unreal. It sucks that I don't even feel much about shootings any more.

Also yeah Orlando has a huge gay community, I was actually surprised to learn when I was down there last. Also it's a shithole, which makes the fact even more surprising.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Oh god we're about to witness the GOP tie itself in knots trying to figure out how they can blame religion while ignoring the hilarious amount of evangelical homophobia

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!

uuuuhhhhhh....hmmm.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

What, like, he didn't know gay people existed until suddenly he witnessed this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

whitey delenda est posted:

Holy poo poo, that is more than most military engagements these days. Unreal. It sucks that I don't even feel much about shootings any more.

Also yeah Orlando has a huge gay community, I was actually surprised to learn when I was down there last. Also it's a shithole, which makes the fact even more surprising.
We have nice areas downtown that are away from the tourist crap

• Locked thread