Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

DaveWoo posted:

Managed to get one of those yesterday. What builds is it good for?

anything that hits things with a weapon since it gives you bleed and poison on hit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I gotta say that Voidheart is a pretty big gently caress you to anyone trying to make a bleed-focused Gladiator (like me). "Hey, sure looks like you spent a lot of effort to get a high bleed chance from the tree+ascendancy so you could use something other than Puncture as your main attack. BTW, you could just get that with one item slot instead."

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Bouquet posted:

I gotta say that Voidheart is a pretty big gently caress you to anyone trying to make a bleed-focused Gladiator (like me). "Hey, sure looks like you spent a lot of effort to get a high bleed chance from the tree+ascendancy so you could use something other than Puncture as your main attack. BTW, you could just get that with one item slot instead."

Or you could not be a huge baby, and consider it a giant boon for people who run bleeding or poison builds.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Or you could not be a huge baby, and consider it a giant boon for people who run bleeding or poison builds.
It's not a huge boon for people who run bleeding or poison builds, sine they've already invested in ways to get bleed or poison. It's a huge boon for all non-bleed+poison physical damage builds, which now get to add both mechanics to their build with one slot.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Bouquet posted:

It's not a huge boon for people who run bleeding or poison builds, sine they've already invested in ways to get bleed or poison. It's a huge boon for all non-bleed+poison physical damage builds, which now get to add both mechanics to their build with one slot.

Then just buy one or find one then reroll or respec, and reap the benefits of all those extra points.

If you can't, then you're benefiting from the skill points. If you're still mad over this, then you're just whining that people with unique items can do stuff that people who don't have those items can't.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Boss, if they make us find seven lost crystals, I'm quitting.

Bouquet posted:

You use the points until you can buy the ring, then you respec out and get a bunch of other poo poo for the cost of a ring slot. Quit whining.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Safari Disco Lion posted:

You use the points until you can buy the ring, then you respec out and get a bunch of other poo poo for the cost of a ring slot. Quit whining.

lol

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Bouquet posted:

you also get a ring slot, id totally spend a few skill points if that meant I got bleed/poison so I could wear a kaoms way instead. if instead you're pissed that your build overlaps with an item that's currently in vogue idk what to say other than WTS Orb of Regret

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat
Wow some people really love their OP item.

It's not whining to recognize that an item is making parts of the passive tree/ascendancy completely irrelevant. Bouquet didn't even say he wanted it nerfed, just that it's lame his build can be replaced with a single item.

How about next we replace all the Fortify bonuses in Juggernaut with a ring so that everyone can have it

baram.
Oct 23, 2007

smooth.

i hope they make the jugg's movement speed can not drop below base value redundant with an item.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Turpitude posted:

It's not whining to recognize that an item is making parts of the passive tree/ascendancy completely irrelevant. Bouquet didn't even say he wanted it nerfed, just that it's lame his build can be replaced with a single item.

How about next we replace all the Fortify bonuses in Juggernaut with a ring so that everyone can have it

Grr! Kaom's way made all my life regeneration nodes irrelevant! Why do I have to have all these regeneration nodes when my rings provide so much? :argh:

Grr! Pledge of Hands made all these cast speed nodes useless! Why do I have to have all these casting speed nodes when I already get my main spell as fast as I want it? :argh:

Grr! This 100% bleeding chance ring has made all my bleeding chance nodes irrelevant! Why do I have to keep all these lovely bleeding chance nodes now that I have it? :argh:

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Turpitude posted:

its a league specific ring that won't be available after 2.3 is over. you would have a point, except the item is intentionally a fun flavor item that will be impossibly rare/valuable come 2.4 - same as Trypanon and Varnustra from last league.

also, the duelist gladiator bleed nodes are even better with the ring, because everything will be bleeding, you'll always get the bleed damage bonus, and everything will explode 100% of the time. I have a gladiator on standard and I can't wait for him to get that ring to gently caress with.

idk what you're upset about.

panda clue fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Jun 12, 2016

Apple Craft
Mar 8, 2012
Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray :cry: Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray Gaile Gray

chase123 posted:

Slayer EQ with lots of leech looking pretty good.

Yes. The leech is insane. Combined with a Lightning Coil, I feel pretty safe, so far.

Turpitude
Oct 13, 2004

Love love love

be an organ donor
Soiled Meat

baram. posted:

i hope they make the jugg's movement speed can not drop below base value redundant with an item.

:getin:

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
bunch of people hating fun ITT

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

RE: Voidheart

1. Rerolling/respeccing is not a very fun option for me, because I don't have enough time to play each league/am not fast enough to get through the whole game with anything other than the first character I make. "It doesn't take that long to get to 70!" you say. If you've done lots of playthroughs and have spent some time focused on speed, that's true. I get one playthrough per league. I'm definitely getting faster/more efficient each time, but that is only slightly outpacing the extra time required to figure out what's going on as the game gets more complex.

2. I've had enough currency to buy one at current prices in one or two leagues where I happened to get a lucky Exalt drop. So buying one and respeccing is not super likely for me either.

3. I don't have any problem with Voidheart's power level. Crazy powerful things that are hard to get is a huge point of the game. I'm frustrated at the way it overlaps with other aspects of the game in a way that makes them less appealing. It just feels like a missed game design opportunity. Consider a version that gave 50% chance to bleed+poison on hit and 50% increased DoT. (Or 20% increased DoT, or 80%, whatever turns out to be balanced, I don't know.) That version is super exciting for a bleed Gladiator or a poison Assassin. Now with four ascendancy points and one item, they can get 100% chance to do their fun thing each hit. If they really want to go all in on DoT they can try to fit two into their build. Is the item any less exciting for the Poisonquake build? I don't think so; it still lets you contemplate swapping the Poison Support for something else and gives you a good chance of a second DoT.

I just feel like the most interesting and fun uniques are the ones that are actually unique, especially the ones that enable a totally new build or are the final puzzle piece pushing a mediocre or good build on to become a great build. Making great builds into super amazing "I stand in the fire and right click my way to victory on even the hardest content" builds is less exciting for me.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

panda clue posted:

its a league specific ring that won't be available after 2.3 is over. you would have a point, except the item is intentionally a fun flavor item that will be impossibly rare/valuable come 2.4 - same as Trypanon and Varnustra from last league.

also, the duelist gladiator bleed nodes are even better with the ring, because everything will be bleeding, you'll always get the bleed damage bonus, and everything will explode 100% of the time. I have a gladiator on standard and I can't wait for him to get that ring to gently caress with.

idk what you're upset about.

panda clue
May 23, 2014

Bouquet posted:

I just feel like the most interesting and fun uniques are the ones that are actually unique, especially the ones that enable a totally new build or are the final puzzle piece pushing a mediocre or good build on to become a great build.

like a ring that enables poison and bleed for melee attacks?

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Bouquet posted:

1. Rerolling/respeccing is not a very fun option for me, because I don't have enough time to play each league/am not fast enough to get through the whole game with anything other than the first character I make. "It doesn't take that long to get to 70!" you say. If you've done lots of playthroughs and have spent some time focused on speed, that's true. I get one playthrough per league. I'm definitely getting faster/more efficient each time, but that is only slightly outpacing the extra time required to figure out what's going on as the game gets more complex.

...What? You get dozens of free respec points from quests, and getting to 70 takes less than 24 hours of play time. How do you only have enough time in a three month long league to get one character to 70+, do you only play for an hour a week?

panda clue
May 23, 2014
the funny thing about his argument is there has been a unique that gives your hits a 100% chance to bleed that has been in the game since 1.1.0 :ssh:.

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

More like 0.10.0

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Turpitude posted:

I play a juggernaut and I'd love that item because I could make the choice between using an item slot or 2 ascendancy points for the same benefit. that's the whole point of builds as far as I've seen, see which stuff you can get from items and which stuff you get from your tree, then make it work through synergies or just plain stacking. And how does voidheart even replace a bleeding build, it only saves you points since you can get all the synergies without having to stack bleed chance? If you still stack bleed chance you get a free ring slot that others have to use on voidheart?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

panda clue posted:

the funny thing about his argument is there has been a unique that gives your hits a 100% chance to bleed that has been in the game since 1.1.0 :ssh:.

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Jack,_the_Axe

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Rigwald%27s_Savagery

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Atziri%27s_Disfavour

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/The_Blood_Reaper

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Rive

http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Goredrill

Telarra
Oct 9, 2012

Rigwald's is Talisman league specific, and Goredrill is bleed on crit, not hit. Still, a handful of options going back all the way to beta.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Notice they're all weapons? And typically not very good ones outside Disfavour?

Which is 16ex+ usually while the rest are vendor trash / 1c?

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Have any of you ever used Rive, Goredrill, or the Blood Reaper for any length of time? Sure, there are some cool higher level weapons that make that particular weapon cause bleed. So you are set if you want to use axes.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Bouquet posted:

Have any of you ever used Rive, Goredrill, or the Blood Reaper for any length of time? Sure, there are some cool higher level weapons that make that particular weapon cause bleed. So you are set if you want to use axes.

Kild posted:

Notice they're all weapons? And typically not very good ones outside Disfavour?

Which is 16ex+ usually while the rest are vendor trash / 1c?

Oh man, it's almost like guaranteeing bleed isn't so overpowered by itself, and that there are other factors at play too. :allears:

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Oh man, it's almost like guaranteeing bleed isn't so overpowered by itself, and that there are other factors at play too. :allears:

actually the ring is super powerful lol, compare it with the other upgrade ring they introduced this league (kaoms way) for one. they should have made it give 20% bleed/poison per frenzy charge instead of a flat 100% or something, but I can't call the ring boring. adapt and play, crying doesn't get you exalts or xp :cmon:

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

killstealing posted:

actually the ring is super powerful lol, compare it with the other upgrade ring they introduced this league (kaoms way) for one. they should have made it give 20% bleed/poison per frenzy charge instead of a flat 100% or something, but I can't call the ring boring. adapt and play, crying doesn't get you exalts or xp :cmon:

Well yeah, the poison and other stuff will do that. It's a crazy good ring, we're just poking fun at the people who are mad about not having it because it's existence insults them. Somehow. If it appears in future leagues it will probably be nerfed, but until then it's an amazing tool for any build that uses bleeding, poison, or both.

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit
actually its an amazing ring for any build that hits things with weapons

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

killstealing posted:

actually its an amazing ring for any build that hits things with weapons

It'll increase the DPS of any hit by basically 30% for the first or strongest hit, and 20% for each weaker hits. Damage goes up if the target is also moving. That's pretty good, especially for mobile builds.

But you really have to go into added poison, chaos, or bleeding damage bonuses to get the most out of it. Remember, poison stacks with itself, but only the strongest bleeding effect on an enemy will be active each tick. And the damage is all damage over time.

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Katasi posted:

Are you sure that the crit increase applies locally? I'm pretty sure that any time an affix is dependent on an outside condition it applies globally, which would change your math significantly.

Yes, as per my stat screen and actual performance in maps.

Mince Pieface
Feb 1, 2006

So normally for traps/mines, whether it crits or not is calculated when you throw the trap/mine and not on triggering, but how does that interact with the assassin's 100% more crit on full life enemies node?

Similarly, for attacks that hit multiple times per click, normally crit should be calculated per click (IE they all crit or none do for something like kinetic blast) but if the target gets brought below full life by the first stage of an attack, will the crit be recalculated for subsequent stages?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Mince Pieface posted:

So normally for traps/mines, whether it crits or not is calculated when you throw the trap/mine and not on triggering, but how does that interact with the assassin's 100% more crit on full life enemies node?

Similarly, for attacks that hit multiple times per click, normally crit should be calculated per click (IE they all crit or none do for something like kinetic blast) but if the target gets brought below full life by the first stage of an attack, will the crit be recalculated for subsequent stages?

The code probably rolls the crit anyway, and applies the rolled result normally after the enemy is no longer at full life.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

people who are mad about not having it because it's existence insults them

this btw is a strawman and really makes you look like a douche

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

The Real Foogla posted:

this btw is a strawman and really makes you look like a douche

Bouquet posted:

I gotta say that Voidheart is a pretty big gently caress you to anyone trying to make a bleed-focused Gladiator (like me).

Just so I'm not empty quoting, it's not a strawman if they actually did it. It's literally on this same page, too. :cmon:

Also, looking at the bleeding talents, the two gladiator bleeding talents add a lot of neat features to bleeds, not just the 50%. There are two bleeding clusters in the regular tree, and of those only one "8% chance to bleed" is unavoidable on the way to the good stuff, which is 40% more physical dot damage.

So really, at worst, the ring will give you +42% chance to bleed, and also poison on each hit, in addition to the other modifiers. It's amazing for gladiators and assassins alike.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 12, 2016

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

Here, let me rephrase that so you can move on from explaining how I am a bad person:

Voidheart would be more interesting providing a chance to bleed/poison on hit plus some other benefit than it is providing a 100% chance.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Bouquet posted:

Here, let me rephrase that so you can move on from explaining how I am a bad person:

Voidheart would be more interesting providing a chance to bleed/poison on hit plus some other benefit than it is providing a 100% chance.

Agreed. Probably something along the lines of that one assassin ascendancy talent.

Safari Disco Lion
Jul 21, 2011

Bouquet posted:

No sorry I'm still hung up on your argument being based on not wanting to respec at all because it takes you three months to hit 70.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Safari Disco Lion posted:

No sorry I'm still hung up on your argument being based on not wanting to respec at all because it takes you three months to hit 70.

Please don't time-shame

• Locked thread