Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ineffiable posted:

Deep fear is seriously probably the best resident evil clone and I have to say maybe one of the top ten games you should play on the Saturn.

I live streamed playing the entire game for an irc chat of goons during a summer I was unemployed. Great stuff.

For a second I thought you were talking about Cold Fear and I was amazed anyone else remembered that game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Ineffiable posted:

Deep fear is seriously probably the best resident evil clone and I have to say maybe one of the top ten games you should play on the Saturn.

I live streamed playing the entire game for an irc chat of goons during a summer I was unemployed. Great stuff.
Ya know, I always ranked Overblood as one of the better Resident Evil clones. It was just Barry and a baby metal gear bumbling around an Umbrella facility with poo poo moss zombies and QTE's.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Sakurazuka posted:

For a second I thought you were talking about Cold Fear and I was amazed anyone else remembered that game.

I have a copy of that game too! Kind of like an re4 clone.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sakurazuka posted:

I'm not going to lie I thought of Cold Fear too

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Niggurath posted:

Ya know, I always ranked Overblood as one of the better Resident Evil clones. It was just Barry and a baby metal gear bumbling around an Umbrella facility with poo poo moss zombies and QTE's.

I have fond memories of Overblood but it's aged about as well as the Alone in the Dark games. If you can get past that it's a pretty atmospheric adventure game.

It's a good job most people don't know that an Overblood 2 exists because phew that was a stinker

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

The Suffering of the Succotash.

VoidBurger posted:

This looks cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eprVKIH4Xxs
That logo at the end is really neat.

Wait, isn't Ad Infinitum a topscrolling space shooter for the C64?

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 11, 2016

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah, the names gonna get changed to Ad Wing for the EU release

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

Cold Fear was not revolutionary but i found it fun.

PhysicsFrenzy
May 30, 2011

this, too, is physics

Twerkteam Pizza posted:

Looking for a new narrative horror game after oxenfree. poo poo was dope

Oxenfree can't be topped, but Life is Strange is another great narrative based coming of age game. Oxenfree spoiler: also time travel and implied time loops

You might be thinking 'but PhysicsFrenzy, LiS is about the furthest thing from horror you can recommend!' And it is! until episodes four and five :getin:

Re: Stray Cat Crossing, it was a cute little game, but it's pretty forgettable and should probably be free. I don't regret buying it and burning through it in two hours, but I can't really recommend it, either. It's bogged down by tedious gameplay, bland characters, poor pacing, and tonal whiplash throughout. It starts out horror but delves pretty quickly into surrealism that it just can't quite pull off. That said, the puzzles in the last act were pretty fun. That whole section gave me a pretty 'Touch Detective' feel.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

VoidBurger posted:

This looks cool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eprVKIH4Xxs
That logo at the end is really neat.

Wow, color me interested, this looks pretty slick.

Sakurazuka posted:

I've got Cold Fear on the Xbox, I liked it well enough. It's basically a proto-Dead Space.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Life is Strange perfectly captures the horror of mundane school life with minimal authority supervision. And I think that's the game's biggest strength, that despite your super powers it is a mystery story wrapped around the lives of broken people who are all really gross. Like there's an air of menace and filth and decay that hangs over everything that reminds me of peak Steven King where he goes on for pages describing backwater mountain towns but the geography doesn't make sense or there's a detail that shouldn't be right.

Did anybody read The Talisman? Life is Strange gave me a strong The Talisman vibe in its setting.

Twerkteam Pizza
Sep 26, 2015

Grimey Drawer

al-azad posted:

Life is Strange perfectly captures the horror of mundane school life with minimal authority supervision. And I think that's the game's biggest strength, that despite your super powers it is a mystery story wrapped around the lives of broken people who are all really gross. Like there's an air of menace and filth and decay that hangs over everything that reminds me of peak Steven King where he goes on for pages describing backwater mountain towns but the geography doesn't make sense or there's a detail that shouldn't be right.

Did anybody read The Talisman? Life is Strange gave me a strong The Talisman vibe in its setting.

I like The Talisman but Straub I'm not a big fan of. I guess I'm gonna play life is strange now.

Also I bought Dead Secret because I sold a knife from CS:GO. I got $89 in steam money, so I thought I'd make a random purchase

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

The only bad thing about Cold Fear is that the Xbox version's box states that it supports 1080i 16:9, but it's actually 480i 4:3 :mad:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Silhouette posted:

The only bad thing about Cold Fear is that the Xbox version's box states that it supports 1080i 16:9, but it's actually 480i 4:3 :mad:

It's on Steam where it probably does support hi-def widescreen.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

al-azad posted:

It's on Steam where it probably does support hi-def widescreen.

According to the Steam forums the game is extremely unstable if you force it into that.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Ineffiable posted:

I checked out some YouTube vids and you've sold me on it, but I've got a question: eBay only seems to have listings for the Japanese version of the game, does that version have an English language option? If not, should I be trying to hunt down a US version of Deep Fear I guess?Also will my Saturn play it natively, or does it require the use of an Action Replay or whatever?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

It had an English release but only in the EU.

Oh hey Kenji Kawai did the soundtrack for it, I didn't know he'd done any games.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Xenomrph posted:

I checked out some YouTube vids and you've sold me on it, but I've got a question: eBay only seems to have listings for the Japanese version of the game, does that version have an English language option? If not, should I be trying to hunt down a US version of Deep Fear I guess?Also will my Saturn play it natively, or does it require the use of an Action Replay or whatever?

There was no US release, though there was a European one.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
Giragast did a really great Cold Fear LP a few years back. Highly recommended, he digs into the game files, pulls out excised content, shows locations against their concept art, all sorts of good poo poo.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=axTrnp0y-m4

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Xenomrph posted:

Yeah there's no USA edition so your options are the action replay thing.

Japanese edition is mostly in English and has English spoken dialog? I think you'd manage pretty well.

Also rumor is the evil within 2 is in works. I'm kind of excited for that.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ineffiable posted:

Also rumor is the evil within 2 is in works. I'm kind of excited for that.

Weren't there rumors about that a while back? I kind of thought they had abandoned the IP

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Weren't there rumors about that a while back? I kind of thought they had abandoned the IP

There's a really recent rumor that Bethesda will announce Evil Within 2 at E3

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
I spent the friday night after buying Dark Corners in a house with a huge gang of scal lads (Chavs, kind of?) who were all chaining spliffs and talking about the footy until my mate told me to lash the game on. Real weird sitting there with all these lads who would normally be loitering around street corners with their hands down their pants watching me trying to outrun fish men in a hotel. Still, good times!

This weekend I was visiting friends and finally got to play that PT demo and even though I'd seen videos I still loving poo poo one when the ghost got me. As did everyone else in the room. I was explaining that maybe you have to talk into the mic to solve the puzzle then BAM she got me. Is that intentional or really good timing?

If they do Evil Within 2 I hope they pick a focus and stick to it. Low ammunition survival horror or run and gun swarm horror like RE4. That castle part suuuucked.

unpacked robinhood
Feb 18, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Drunken Baker posted:

If they do Evil Within 2 I hope they pick a focus and stick to it. Low ammunition survival horror or run and gun swarm horror like RE4. That castle part suuuucked.

You didn't like the castle part in RE4 ? I haven't played the Evil Within

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

catlord posted:

I'm reminded of that free game where you're in the trenches being chased by velociraptors.

I thought of the same thing, glad I'm not the only one who knows about that game

Niggurath posted:

Sakurazuka posted:

I have fond memories of Overblood but it's aged about as well as the Alone in the Dark games. If you can get past that it's a pretty atmospheric adventure game.

I don't give a poo poo what anybody else says, Overblood is good. It's fun, sorta campy, but wonderful. It's not exactly hard or challenging, and hell, it's not even really that scary, but it is definitely entertaining. And it has Pipo in it.

Pipo!!

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Bethesda conference is over and they didn't show any evil within 2 stuff but there was a girl cosplayed as the keeper they showed off. So maybe it's for another conference?

al-azad
May 28, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I thought of the same thing, glad I'm not the only one who knows about that game

I don't give a poo poo what anybody else says, Overblood is good. It's fun, sorta campy, but wonderful. It's not exactly hard or challenging, and hell, it's not even really that scary, but it is definitely entertaining. And it has Pipo in it.

Pipo!!

I played Overblood when it came out and I remember being uneasy? Jumping from the SNES there was certainly an uncanny valley thing going on with seeing its 3D cutscenes and it's lonely and grungy in a way 70s sci-fi was. And going off pure memory here I think there's a scene where a door crushes you and you have to explore as Pipo to save your character but I might be mixing scenes together from Macross Plus.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

unpacked robinhood posted:

You didn't like the castle part in RE4 ? I haven't played the Evil Within

No, sorry. The castle part in Evil Within. EW was slowly veering towards Resident Evil 4 levels of gameplay and then there's a castle section with archers being held up in cages that you have to snipe as the grounds swarm with zombies and you have all of, like, 5 bullets.

It genuinely felt like a Resident Evil 4 level only you have no ammo and never really felt like it was made to be played "Stealthily". It's been a while since I played it so I can't remember the specifics now but it was really jarring and off putting.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Speaking of Evil Within/RE4, I really wish that survival horror games would take the Doom 2016 route and make upgrades rare but dramatic. I'm kind of getting tired of wading through heaven and hell just to find that my reward is +1 damage on my shotgun. And it is always damage, because who would upgrade the reload speed on a gun that you constantly have three shots for?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

DreamShipWrecked posted:

Speaking of Evil Within/RE4, I really wish that survival horror games would take the Doom 2016 route and make upgrades rare but dramatic. I'm kind of getting tired of wading through heaven and hell just to find that my reward is +1 damage on my shotgun. And it is always damage, because who would upgrade the reload speed on a gun that you constantly have three shots for?

Wolfenstein the new order was pretty good in this regard

All of the weapon upgrades significantly improve weapons by adding alternate fire modes or just making it much more useful better like in the LKW.

woodenchicken
Aug 19, 2007

Nap Ghost
People really should have played Evil Within on easy; it was still ball-breaking, but ultimately manageable. The upgrades worked great because you had so little originally that the ability to carry one extra bullet felt like mana from heaven. That game sure had the scarcity thing down to science.

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

FirstAidKite posted:

Pipo!!
Oh, I wasn't trying to poo poo on the game. There was a bit of jank, but it wasn't horrible by any means.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Niggurath posted:

Oh, I wasn't trying to poo poo on the game. There was a bit of jank, but it wasn't horrible by any means.

I wasn't trying to direct that at you. I've spoken with people who are all like "yeah overblood was absolutely lovely, the worst thing"

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Surprised no one's posted about the Prey... thing. Not a remake, or a sequel, or even a spiritual sequel to the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q38yi0NmAm0

Promo materials go as far as they can without openly mentioning System Shock.

quote:

"You are Morgan Yu, the subject of morally dubious experiments designed to improve the human race. You awaken aboard the Talos 1 in the year 2032 and must uncover the secrets hiding in the depths of the space station while being hunted by the mysterious alien force that has taken over. You’ll have to rely on the tools you find on the station—along with your wits, weapons, and mind-bending abilities—to combat the growing threat and, hopefully, survive."

I'm over black oil as an antagonist in anything, and while the eye thing's an effective visual flair it's ripped more or less entirely from Prometheus (there's a lot of Prometheus in it, honestly), beggars can't be choosers.

Arkane Studios are making it and they're basically the guys when it comes to dedicated immersive sim (it's being developed alongside Dishonored 2) but the other notable thing is that Video Game Story Guy Chris Avellone has been working on it too, so.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Basic Chunnel posted:

Surprised no one's posted about the Prey... thing. Not a remake, or a sequel, or even a spiritual sequel to the original.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q38yi0NmAm0

Promo materials go as far as they can without openly mentioning System Shock.

I'm over black oil as an antagonist in anything, and while the eye thing's an effective visual flair it's ripped more or less entirely from Prometheus (there's a lot of Prometheus in it, honestly), beggars can't be choosers.

Arkane Studios are making it and they're basically the guys when it comes to dedicated immersive sim (it's being developed alongside Dishonored 2) but the other notable thing is that Video Game Story Guy Chris Avellone has been working on it too, so.

I read an article about how new titles, as opposed to new games are what publishers are afraid of so they slapped the name "Prey" on something that has nothing to do with it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Resident Evil VII announced. In a surprise twist it looks like PT and in first person?

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Hideo Kojima's Death Stranding? It looks like it might be a P.T reincarnation because it has Norman Reedus in it

e: but of course it might not even be horror who knows

Meowywitch fucked around with this message at 03:14 on Jun 14, 2016

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

al-azad posted:

Resident Evil VII announced. In a surprise twist it looks like PT and in first person?

I guess the caveat is that you always take E3 news with mountains of salt, especially since this is going to be a major departure from the normal RE formula.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Despite RE6 selling millions it was a financial disappointment and Street Fighter 5 is in a pretty rough spot as well. With Dead Rising 4 in the lineup as well I don't think Capcom can afford to go all out with this and the sort of first person found footage teaser looked so great that literally everyone thought it was Kojima at it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I guess the caveat is that you always take E3 news with mountains of salt, especially since this is going to be a major departure from the normal RE formula.

Maybe this is the return to form that people have been asking for for years

Even thought 5 + 6 were both really fun!