Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowman Crossing
Dec 4, 2009

botany posted:

cars are not made for killing, hope this helps

True, but they do a pretty good job of it just the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Snowman Crossing posted:

You aren't the one pulling the trigger, though, so I doubt it's really all that hard to sleep at night. Have you ever sold a car to anybody? Would you feel responsible if he used it for drunk driving?

Except the majority of gun sellers manage to not sell guns to criminals while a minority of gun sellers provide the majority of guns used in crimes.

quote:

Each of the five dealers, the court documents show, had an average of more than one gun recovered in crime every day of the year in 2005. By contrast, 86 percent of gun dealers in America have no crime guns traced to their stores in a typical year.
Just 1.2 percent of gun dealers supply 57 percent of all crime guns recovered across the nation.

The dealers named: Badger Outdoors, West Milwaukee, Wisconsin - 537 Crime Guns; Trader Sports, San Leandro, California - 447 Crime Guns (which is the subject of the government's case); Elliot's Small Arms, Jefferson, Louisiana - 442 Crime Guns; Don's Guns and Galleries, Inc., Indianapolis, Indiana - 431 Crime Guns and Hyatt Coin & Gun Shop, Inc., Charlotte, North Carolina - 405 Crime Guns. A chart of these dealers can be found at bradycenter.org.

Yeah if you're in the 1.2% of sellers that provided 57% of all guns traced to crimes, you have to have a bit of a give no fucks attitude.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Chokes McGee posted:

Well unless you're weird and don't think Moses is a thing then I'm pretty sure you shouldn't be killing people either :v:

Well yea but Islam and Christianity also have that rule but apparently those poor savages just don't know how to follow it, wondered if I could get in on that sweet action too.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

SpaceCadetBob posted:

CBSN was reading the tweet on air and it was a bit convoluted. To me it sounded more like they were claiming him as a proud ISIS fighter, as opposed to claiming that there was central planning specifically for this attack. So this could still be a case of inspired as opposed to directed.

OTOH CBSN also stated that there are records of the shooter traveling internationally so I guess we will just have to wait for the next news dump.

Which pretty much sounds exactly like San Bernardino. ISIS put out a similar tweet congratulating (but not taking claim for) that as well.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
If ISIS are a bunch of Islamists then I'm the loving pope

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

botany posted:

homophobic straight man murders gay people; country freaks out about islam

Read this and tell me it isn't loving absurd that the only mention of Islam is to absolve it while saying it's actually Republicans through their promotion of homophobia who are responsible for this. I agree that the homophobic culture in retreat many Republicans still contribute to provides room for more virulent homophobia to continue to exist beneath the surface, but pretending this guy who wasn't even a Republican was inspired by Republican hate more than by either ISIS specifically or Islam in general (which of course are very different things) is completely ridiculous.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/12/omar-mateen-committed-lgbt-mass-murder-we-must-confront-that.html

Popular Thug Drink posted:

like it's pretty transparent you don't have an actual argument here you're just looking to construct a framework that allows you to feel intellectually justified in bitching about liberals and muslims but really you're just dropping a more eloquent version of th esame stuff we hear from jim bob trumpvoter and it's so obvious bro

I'm liberal and would never vote for Trump or support a ban on Muslims. I do think some degree of honesty about the challenges in integrating Islam into our secular and liberal society is necessary if we want to minimize the inevitable friction though. Just as we've faced challenges integrating fundamentalist Christians! Taking it on faith that Islam is good because it has to be to make us feel good about ourselves isn't a solution though.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Jun 12, 2016

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/742077741067964417

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
lol if it turns out Snowden is right and that the intelligence agencies can't stop this poo poo because they got lost in the scope of what they are doing

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Sinteres posted:

Read this and tell me it isn't loving absurd that the only mention of Islam is to absolve it while saying it's actually Republicans, who by promoting homophobia are responsible for this. I agree that the homophobic culture in retreat many Republicans still contribute to provides room for more virulent homophobia to continue to exist beneath the surface, but pretending this guy who wasn't even a Republican was inspired by Republican hate more than by either ISIS specifically or Islam in general (which of course are very different things) is completely ridiculous.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/12/omar-mateen-committed-lgbt-mass-murder-we-must-confront-that.html

I'm liberal and would never vote for Trump or support a ban on Muslims. I do think some degree of honesty about the challenges in integrating Islam into our secular and liberal society is necessary if we want to minimize the inevitable friction though. Taking it on faith that Islam is good because it has to be to make us feel good about ourselves isn't a solution.

Who do you think has more influence over an American citizen, the dominant and prevailing American culture for the last, oh, all of our history until like four years ago, or a group in the middle east he's had no contact with other than to do the equivalent of shouting their name before doing an attack targeting a group he already seemed to have anger to?

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sinteres posted:

I'm liberal and would never vote for Trump or support a ban on Muslims. I do think some degree of honesty about the challenges in integrating Islam into our secular and liberal society is necessary if we want to minimize the inevitable friction though. Taking it on faith that Islam is good because it has to be to make us feel good about ourselves isn't a solution.

given that the overwhelming majority of muslims in america don't murder anyone or commit crimes i think you're trying to force a problem where one doesn't exist, and you're accusing others of being dishonest as a smokescreen to hide your bigotry behind the cliche "i'm just asking questions"

it's ok to be a bigot, i just want some degree of honesty about the challenges in accepting your anti-religious ideals in a tolerant multicultural democracy if we want to avoid your inevitable disgusting opinions. taking it on faith that your opinion is well considered because you manage to not call anyone towelheads isn't a solution

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

If ISIS are a bunch of Islamists then I'm the loving pope

Wait what?

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

I believe he's making the claim that with their corrupted interpretation of the Koran, ISIL is no more Islamist than he is the pope.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Who do you think has more influence over an American citizen, the dominant and prevailing American culture for the last, oh, all of our history until like four years ago, or a group in the middle east he's had no contact with other than to do the equivalent of shouting their name before doing an attack targeting a group he already seemed to have anger to?

I mean he didn't identify as a Republican, but he did identify as a Muslim, so while there can reasonably be said to be a shared influence, I don't think assigning 100% to Republicans is very fair.

given that the overwhelming majority of muslims in america don't murder anyone or commit crimes i think you're trying to force a problem where one doesn't exist, and you're accusing others of being dishonest as a smokescreen to hide your bigotry behind the cliche "i'm just asking questions"

it's ok to be a bigot, i just want some degree of honesty about the challenges in accepting your anti-religious ideals in a tolerant multicultural democracy if we want to avoid your inevitable disgusting opinions. taking it on faith that your opinion is well considered because you manage to not call anyone towelheads isn't a solution

I can't help wondering if you're this protective of Christians when their religion is disparaged for being homophobic. Do you comfortably explain to the gay people you know (who some Christian leaders seek to oppress) that Christianity is in fact good and anyone who has an issue with any of its teachings is a bigot? Do you also tell women who complain about misogyny that not all men are like that? Handwaving away the problems that actually existing Islam has with gay people because you get to feel morally superior to anyone who points it out is a choice to ignore the threat to the gay community. Maybe I'll feel like being lectured to about it on the day when a pro-gay rights extremist massacres a bunch of peaceful Muslims.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Tatum Girlparts posted:

This is a bad argument because you will never beat the "it was his choice to kill people" crows no matter how hard you try.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

aBagorn posted:

I believe he's making the claim that with their corrupted interpretation of the Koran, ISIL is no more Islamist than he is the pope.

Seems like a stretch of no true scotsmanning.

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

It's a no true scotsman fallacy.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
Drudge added an extra red link in case you haven't had your fill of Islamophobic media reports for the afternoon.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

The Glumslinger posted:

I apologize for all men

In all seriousness, treating empathy as a valuable characteristic in all children instead of just in girls would be a valuable social change.

Boys are derided for displays of empathy and are conditioned to accept a positive obligation to protect the kin group. This training had a purpose in a world with ample real threats but is maladaptive today. Both because of our general peacefulness and because of the much greater lethality of our weaponry.

Basically, if we are going to be so armed we should put a lot more effort into teaching politeness.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Sinteres posted:

I can't help wondering if you're this protective of Christians when their religion is disparaged for being homophobic. Do you comfortably explain to the gay people you know (who some Christian leaders seek to oppress) that Christianity is in fact good and anyone who has an issue with any of its teachings is a bigot? Do you also tell women who complain about misogyny that not all men are like that? Handwaving away the problems that actually existing Islam has with gay people because you get to feel morally superior to anyone who points it out is a choice to ignore the threat to the gay community. Maybe I'll feel like being lectured to about it on the day when a pro-gay rights extremist massacres a bunch of peaceful Muslims.

i think you're confused, you think i'm being defensive of some group when in reality i am attacking you for trying to mask bigotry with politeness and a semi-reasonable tone. you may have even fooled yourself, which is why you are not accurately percieving my argument because you don't see why anyone could object to your level headed, rational suspicion of religion in general and islam in particular. i'm not fooled though, i'm just marveling at the multiple layers of self-misdirection we seem to be uncovering here

you are right about one thing though, i do feel morally superior to people who use terror attacks as an excuse to vent anti-religious nonsense. you really should have the courage to make this argument all the time and not just when there's a large mob of angry and upset people for you to hide in

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
So has Trump tweeted anymore bullshit since he literally congratulated himself in the aftermath of the attack?

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I'm glad the shooter was at least nominally Muslim. That way everyone can point the finger at Islam instead of recognizing that both Orlando and LA had terror/hate attacks organized to target their Pride celebrations today (thankfully the LA guy was caught first).

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

lol if it turns out Snowden is right and that the intelligence agencies can't stop this poo poo because they got lost in the scope of what they are doing
They knew about the Boston bombers.

I mean this goes back to 9/11, where one agency was tracking several of the hijackers but didn't bother to inform anyone else

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
and anyway looking at religion alone is missing the bigger picture. the problem is men - pretty much every mass shooter is a man, propelled by masculinist, patriarchical ideals of revenge and the self-determined ability to take another human's life. why are men so bad at fitting into western society? islam, christianity - all illusions. the real threat to society are the deranged, violent, despicable men and if we were truly willing to do something about this problem we would destroy masculinity and replace it with progressive western values

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Pellisworth posted:

I'm glad the shooter was at least nominally Muslim. That way everyone can point the finger at Islam instead of recognizing that both Orlando and LA had terror/hate attacks organized to target their Pride celebrations today (thankfully the LA guy was caught first).

Hey now, all we know was that he wanted to go to the pride parade with a bunch of explosives and weapons. People deserve a fair treatment and are innocent until proven guilty. Plus I'm sure he made some mistakes that indicate he was crazy or not really going to do it.

Has it even been declared a terror or hate attack in LA or are you falsely accusing another brave 2a American? Why do liberals always pick the side of police when white men are involved?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

i think you're confused, you think i'm being defensive of some group when in reality i am attacking you for trying to mask bigotry with politeness and a semi-reasonable tone. you may have even fooled yourself, which is why you are not accurately percieving my argument because you don't see why anyone could object to your level headed, rational suspicion of religion in general and islam in particular. i'm not fooled though, i'm just marveling at the multiple layers of self-misdirection we seem to be uncovering here

you are right about one thing though, i do feel morally superior to people who use terror attacks as an excuse to vent anti-religious nonsense. you really should have the courage to make this argument all the time and not just when there's a large mob of angry and upset people for you to hide in

At least you admit you don't give a poo poo about victims so much as attacking people. I guess that's why you aren't concerned about confronting homophobia where it's found.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

McAlister posted:

In all seriousness, treating empathy as a valuable characteristic in all children instead of just in girls would be a valuable social change.

Boys are derided for displays of empathy and are conditioned to accept a positive obligation to protect the kin group. This training had a purpose in a world with ample real threats but is maladaptive today. Both because of our general peacefulness and because of the much greater lethality of our weaponry.

Basically, if we are going to be so armed we should put a lot more effort into teaching politeness.

You're looking for something that's not there. This is only about using ideology as a tool to dehumanize the enemy. This is just about effective as raising all kids to be atheists.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

Sinteres posted:

Read this and tell me it isn't loving absurd that the only mention of Islam is to absolve it while saying it's actually Republicans through their promotion of homophobia who are responsible for this. I agree that the homophobic culture in retreat many Republicans still contribute to provides room for more virulent homophobia to continue to exist beneath the surface, but pretending this guy who wasn't even a Republican was inspired by Republican hate more than by either ISIS specifically or Islam in general (which of course are very different things) is completely ridiculous.

I'm liberal and would never vote for Trump or support a ban on Muslims. I do think some degree of honesty about the challenges in integrating Islam into our secular and liberal society is necessary if we want to minimize the inevitable friction though. Just as we've faced challenges integrating fundamentalist Christians! Taking it on faith that Islam is good because it has to be to make us feel good about ourselves isn't a solution though.

i didn't mention republicans

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Trabisnikof posted:

Hey now, all we know was that he wanted to go to the pride parade with a bunch of explosives and weapons. People deserve a fair treatment and are innocent until proven guilty. Plus I'm sure he made some mistakes that indicate he was crazy or not really going to do it.

Has it even been declared a terror or hate attack in LA or are you falsely accusing another brave 2a American? Why do liberals always pick the side of police when white men are involved?

Yeah you're right, cops questioned him after locals called him in for loitering/prowling and looking suspicious. He said he was going to meet a friend at the Pride parade. Had Indiana plates, guy was probably just lost and I'm sure it's totally normal for Hoosiers to attend gay pride parades with guns and explosives, definitely within ARE GUN RIGHTS.

Lugnut Seatcushion
May 4, 2013
Lipstick Apathy

Electric Bugaloo posted:

Alternatively, the NYT said that the club bills itself as "Orlando's Latin Hotspot" and that it hosts "Upscale Latin Saturdays" so there's a possibility that this could end up looking very bad for the Trump set once all the facts come out.

I'm not gonna speculate about a tragedy that is actively being investigated, but 'mass shooting in Latin night club in central Florida with possible hallmarks of planned terrorism and improvised bombs' sounds way likelier to have been committed by a white nationalist than an Islamic extremist.

Nice. It's sick when everyone's hoping a shooting "looks bad" for their opponents.

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->
Well, for most of the primary everyone was saying "Trump could win the general if there was a major terrorist attack" so I guess we'll see how much truth there is to that.

I expect a bump in his polls that will peter out in a few weeks.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

cravius posted:

Nice. It's sick when everyone's hoping a shooting "looks bad" for their opponents.

When tragedies are rooted in politics they tend to get politicized.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Does "purchased directly" mean "legally"?

Probably. From what's being reported, he had a clean criminal history other than a moving violation a few years ago.

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

MC Nietzche posted:

I don't think you have to be all that political to mow down a bunch of people. The media is just looking for reasons that simply aren't there. Otherwise everyone is a killer instead of "oh hey this guy was crazy that explains it".

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

MC Nietzche posted:

You're right. This attack in part was facilitated by the policies of this administration, President Obama and Secretary Clinton, that have allowed political correctness into the threat assessment. Today I beg the White House, stop with the political correctness. We need to destroy this enemy before more innocent people, gay, straight, black, white, brown, yellow are murdered on U.S. soil.

defectivemonkey
Jun 5, 2012

MC Nietzche posted:

That doesn't make it less gross to actively engage in it.

And in the US, unfortunately, a mass shooting with over 50 victims probably doesn't fall under "major terrorist event". It's just "thing that bums people out for a few days, then makes them are about guns for another week or two".

Fox Ironic
Jul 19, 2012

by exmarx
Goddamn people, it's loving intersectional. Nothing exists in a vacuum. It's simultaneously:

- the American "Culture of Violence"

- Toxic Masculinity

- Religious Fundamentalism

- Poor access to mental health support services

- Lack of community intervention

- Economic and Social stressors causing persecution complexes and radicalization

- Lack of common sense gun control and/or appropriate gun socialization

Any individual thing is unlikely to cause violence on this scale, it's the combination and comorbidity of at least a handful of the above factors that lead to mass shootings.

MC Nietzche
Oct 26, 2004

Dead Cosmonaut posted:

I don't think you have to be all that political to mow down a bunch of people. The media is just looking for reasons that simply aren't there. Otherwise everyone is a killer instead of "oh hey this guy was crazy that explains it".

Well I'm talking specifically about people calling it terrorism. That word has been losing meaning for a while now but terrorism is about using violence to achieve a political end. Also there are large collisions in this event between recent fault lines in American politics; specifically gun control, Islamophobia, and gay rights. Hell might even through immigration in there because his parents were not born stateside.

With our politics already on full bast because of the election its not surprising that this event is going to be politicized by both sides ASAP.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Fojar38 posted:

Well, for most of the primary everyone was saying "Trump could win the general if there was a major terrorist attack" so I guess we'll see how much truth there is to that.

I expect a bump in his polls that will peter out in a few weeks.

I doubt it, Trump yelling "I told you so" and doubling down on bigotry and the Muslim ban isn't going to convince anyone who wasn't already going to vote for him no matter what.

defectivemonkey posted:

That doesn't make it less gross to actively engage in it.

Yeah it's been less than a day and a ton of people are talking about it in terms of identity politics and how this will affect the election, rather than addressing the actual immediate issues of homophobia and gun control.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Fox Ironic posted:

Goddamn people, it's loving intersectional. Nothing exists in a vacuum. It's simultaneously:

- the American "Culture of Violence"

- Toxic Masculinity

- Religious Fundamentalism

- Poor access to mental health support services

- Lack of community intervention

- Economic and Social stressors causing persecution complexes and radicalization

- Lack of common sense gun control and/or appropriate gun socialization

Any individual thing is unlikely to cause violence on this scale, it's the combination and comorbidity of at least a handful of the above factors that lead to mass shootings.

I think most people here recognize that it's intersectional. The problem is that intersectional problems are almost impossible to resolve because it's way easier to just blame it on exactly one thing and to try to fix that one thing. So conservatives are (rightly) criticized for only focusing on religious fundamentalism or poor access to mental health services (depending on the case), while liberals are (rightly) criticized for mainly focusing on gun control and, to a lesser extent, the economic and social stressors.

EDIT: In other words, it's the typical "nuance is for losers" argument from both sides (but, especially, from the right; the left will usually at least acknowledge it when pressed)

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Cosmonaut
Nov 14, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

The only thing that matters to a mass shooter is whatever logical framework he is using when pulling the trigger. The media is definitely exists somewhere in it, especially since they lionize these shooters every time they show up.

• Locked thread