Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I get the water use part, but why is the export of crops to China bad?

Racism, basically.

It's a very similar sentiment to the Japanese taking the resources of Detroit during the 80s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

computer parts posted:

Racism, basically.

It's a very similar sentiment to the Japanese taking the resources of Detroit during the 80s.

Well, no, not really. Yeah pointing out that it is China is an extra kicker to fire up the people who might be on the fence, but the destruction of California's groundwater for personal/corporate profit is unacceptable. If they were staple crops that were not growable elsewhere, they may have some leeway in their argument.

The fact that they are growing cash crops for export using vital shared resources should be inexcusable. It doesn't matter who they are selling to.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Well, no, not really. Yeah pointing out that it is China is an extra kicker to fire up the people who might be on the fence

Yeah, so they're using racism.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Well, no, not really. Yeah pointing out that it is China is an extra kicker to fire up the people who might be on the fence, but the destruction of California's groundwater for personal/corporate profit is unacceptable. If they were staple crops that were not growable elsewhere, they may have some leeway in their argument.

The fact that they are growing cash crops for export using vital shared resources should be inexcusable. It doesn't matter who they are selling to.

You realize a bunch of the crops we grow in California can't really be grown elsewhere as effectively? If they could grow Almonds as well in Iowa, they would.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

computer parts posted:

Racism, basically.

We could be exporting almonds to Australia and the argument would be the same. Almonds & alfalfa have become hugely profitable cash crops as a result of overseas demand, and it is causing more and more water intensive crops to be grown during a historic drought. Like I said - I have nothing wrong with growing almonds in California intrinsically. But we're growing a lot of them, more and more every year, and it isn't sustainable. Alfalfa is an even more egregious example, this article gives a good summary. Basically, ships coming in from China are returning mostly empty because of our trade imbalance with China, so they're looking to take anything back they can and dropping shipping rates to virtually nothing. Alfalfa is in high demand in China as well as other countries along the same shipping route (Japan, Korea) so there's been an explosion of alfalfa crop here, because it can be sold at an astronomical price and transported for virtually no cost.

A combination our dumb water rights laws, the US trade imbalance with China, and high demand overseas for water intensive crop are making for a very bad mix.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Sydin posted:

We could be exporting almonds to Australia and the argument would be the same.

I doubt people would be saying "those damned Australians". Like this is the point: the reason why you're focusing on the Chinese is racism. It actively distracts from the farmers that are actually doing all the trouble.

If somehow you actually pass some tariff or whatever that discourages the Chinese from buying stuff in California, the farmers will still turn around and sell their crops in the rest of the US/Europe/whoever. And now your magical racism stick won't work anymore.

computer parts fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jun 11, 2016

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

computer parts posted:

Like this is the point: the reason why you're focusing on the Chinese is racism.

No, the reason I'm focusing on the Chinese is because they're the ones who are driving the demand for water intensive crops. If the Australians were doing it instead, I absolutely would be saying "those drat Australians."

Obviously the farmers are the blame too, please do not take my posts as trying absolve them of guilt for taking advantage of the situation. I'm saying there's a perfect storm of lovely water practices resulting from dumb water rights that let farmers run reservoirs dry, high overseas demand for water intensives crops like alfalfa, and US trade policy with China being such that most of their ships importing goods via California harbors are returning mostly empty, and so lowering their shipping rates to almost nothing because they're desperate for product.

But please, tell me more about my racism. :allears:

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

computer parts posted:

I doubt people would be saying "those damned Australians". Like this is the point: the reason why you're focusing on the Chinese is racism. It actively distracts from the farmers that are actually doing all the trouble.

If somehow you actually pass some tariff or whatever that discourages the Chinese from buying stuff in California, the farmers will still turn around and sell their crops in the rest of the US/Europe/whoever. And now your magical racism stick won't work anymore.

It's pandering. The people we are trying to convince, who support the farmers the most, don't really care about natural resources but loving hate China. We're not going to convince the deep red interior of the state to give up profits to save water for environmental reasons. So yeah, we're using our target audience's racism against them.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Tuxedo Gin posted:

It's pandering. The people we are trying to convince, who support the farmers the most, don't really care about natural resources but loving hate China. We're not going to convince the deep red interior of the state to give up profits to save water for environmental reasons. So yeah, we're using our target audience's racism against them.

And if you're trying to attack Wall Street, saying "those loving Jews are stealing our money" is not the way to do it.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
The Farm Bill

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

theblackw0lf posted:

Out of curiosity did anyone have problems voting? For example having to use a provisional ballot when you shouldn't have had to?

I did. They didn't accept me exchanging my mail in and made me vote provisionally. Not that deep but it happens.

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

Shbobdb posted:

I did. They didn't accept me exchanging my mail in and made me vote provisionally. Not that deep but it happens.

Why didn't you just turn in your vote-by-mail ballot at the polling place? You can do it at any polling place. I looked into the option because I got my ballot the day before the election and found something to the effect of "if you hand your ballot on election day before X PM it will be counted that day!" I can't find it now. I did check the registrar and they claim they counted my vote on June 7th.

It also says you can do what you attempted, though I suspect at your own polling place (This isn't clear), so I dunno why you had trouble.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Boot and Rally posted:

It also says you can do what you attempted, though I suspect at your own polling place (This isn't clear), so I dunno why you had trouble.

Probably because poll workers, including the person running the station, get like 2-3 hours of training before election day.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

My mail in ballot was never counted because they said my signature didn't match <:mad:>

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Probably because poll workers, including the person running the station, get like 2-3 hours of training before election day.

I ran a polling station on the primary and this is more true than it should be. This is also why showing up at 7AM to be the first voter is generally a bad idea because we're still making sure we have the process correct/we're trying to put out fires. They tell you to show up at 6 AM in order to be open in time at 7. At my station we showed up the night before to set up and spent two hours setting up and the morning of we were still rushing like hell come 7:00 to get everything in place.

That being said, if you didn't have your vote by mail envelope and just had the ballot, you had to do a provisional. If you handed over both ballot and the envelope AND you were on the roster then you'd get a regular ballot.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jun 11, 2016

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Tuxedo Gin posted:

This is it. The poll worker admitted it was her first time and she wasn't totally sure, but would I mind just to keep the line moving? My one vote isn't going to matter much and throwing a tantrum isn't worth it.

I didn't think much of it, but the question was asked.

hell astro course
Dec 10, 2009

pizza sucks

I saw a white beat up van on the curb that said "Department of Elections" on it. It looked like they just slapped it onto a beater van at the last second. That's my report. Hope we solve the case!

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

When I ran a poling station a few years back I had to transport the stuff in my own vehicle.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4
:911:

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
My only voting story is that this is the second election in a row where the person who took my ballot in the end was well into their 70's and, after handing me my sticker, thanked me very emphatically for voting "even though I'm young."

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
I remember I worked the polls once in high school

So many old white republicans coming out of the woodwork (but Boxer still won the precinct by a 2-1 ratio)

DeadlyMuffin
Jul 3, 2007

FCKGW posted:

My mail in ballot was never counted because they said my signature didn't match <:mad:>

How do you check?

moebius2778
May 3, 2013

DeadlyMuffin posted:

How do you check?

Secretary of State has a ballot status page.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Space-Bird posted:

I saw a white beat up van on the curb that said "Department of Elections" on it. It looked like they just slapped it onto a beater van at the last second. That's my report. Hope we solve the case!

Actually that's the FBI.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Tuxedo Gin posted:

When I ran a poling station a few years back I had to transport the stuff in my own vehicle.

I'll have you all know that I thoughtfully safeguarded our democracy this weekend by putting a blanket over the ballots in the back of my car before locking it and leaving it overnight in our parking spot.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

El Mero Mero posted:

I'll have you all know that I thoughtfully safeguarded our democracy this weekend by putting a blanket over the ballots in the back of my car before locking it and leaving it overnight in our parking spot.

Lmfao

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

I had my ballot all filled out and then I left it under a pile of junk mail. I forgot to vote and now I'm the reason Bernie lost. It's all my fault guys.

Aeka 2.0
Nov 16, 2000

:ohdear: Have you seen my apex seals? I seem to have lost them.

Dinosaur Gum
"Our water is depleting, corporate profits are up, and all I got is this lousy T-Shirt" more or less describes overseas demand for wasteful crops.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/18/third-oakland-police-chief-quits-within-a-week-amid-scandals

Oakland PD appears to be completely hosed from top to bottom, having just lost its third chief of police in a week. There appears to be a rash of racist texts (separate from SFPD), an underage prostitute, and an office who killed himself after maybe killing his wife. I honestly don't know what to make of all this.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The exploited individual (there is no such thing as an underage sex worker) is allegedly the child of a dispatcher which makes the situation even more hosed up.

e_angst
Sep 20, 2001

by exmarx

Shbobdb posted:

(there is no such thing as an underage sex worker)

That's kind of like saying there's no such thing as a child soldier. Trying to take something we don't like and define it out of existence is one of the more ridiculous practices of the tumblr-left.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
In this case, social workers will disagree with you. An exploited person is a victim whereas being "a prostitute" carries a heavy stigma. In this case it seems to be being used to marginalize the victim.

Consider the narratives that get built in your mind when talking about "a child prostitute" vs "a child molester". In this case, the it is better to talk about the Oakland PD having a child molestation ring.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

The Wiggly Wizard posted:

I get the water use part, but why is the export of crops to China bad?

Because people are lovely racist nativists.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

e_angst posted:

ridiculous practices of the tumblr-left.
All individuals are exploited in capitalism comrade!

Boot and Rally
Apr 21, 2006

8===D
Nap Ghost

TildeATH posted:

Because people are lovely racist nativists.

People should learn to hate the system not the people playing in it.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Shbobdb posted:

In this case, social workers will disagree with you. An exploited person is a victim whereas being "a prostitute" carries a heavy stigma. In this case it seems to be being used to marginalize the victim.

Consider the narratives that get built in your mind when talking about "a child prostitute" vs "a child molester". In this case, the it is better to talk about the Oakland PD having a child molestation ring.

bingo

also the average age of a prostitute at their first arrest is 13-14 and they have typically been working for approx one year at that point

if you would like to know more the documentary Very Young Girls is a particularly depressing look at it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

no meds = f4

FRINGE posted:

All individuals are exploited in capitalism comrade!

This.

Rah!
Feb 21, 2006

Kobayashi posted:

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/jun/18/third-oakland-police-chief-quits-within-a-week-amid-scandals

Oakland PD appears to be completely hosed from top to bottom, having just lost its third chief of police in a week. There appears to be a rash of racist texts (separate from SFPD), an underage prostitute, and an office who killed himself after maybe killing his wife. I honestly don't know what to make of all this.

The SFPD appears to be involved in boning the underage prostitute too, as does an investigator from the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office:

http://sfist.com/2016/06/17/investigation_oakland_police_allege.php

Same deal allegedly, with officers from Richmond, and with Alameda Sheriff's deputies, though they've apparently been cleared.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Rah! posted:

The SFPD appears to be involved in boning the underage prostitute too, as does an investigator from the Alameda County District Attorney’s Office:

http://sfist.com/2016/06/17/investigation_oakland_police_allege.php

Same deal allegedly, with officers from Richmond, and with Alameda Sheriff's deputies, though they've apparently been cleared.

We should sell our police force to China.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Also Stanford just came out with a big report that found that OPD is racist as gently caress, to the surprise of no one.