Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

peter gabriel posted:

I'm pulling this out of my rear end on behalf of Gorf

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qchQnNXePdY

Why is space full of lovely little flakes of dandruff that fly everywhere when you achieve any speed whatsoever. I feel it's a very tacky effect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

Wow! Pain BROUGHT! Brilliant!

Inkel
Feb 19, 2004

College Slice

G0RF posted:

It's true!

This needs to be on this page.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

YOU WATCH YOUR WHORE MOUTH

Everybody, come see the sexism of the salty asshats! :byodame:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Danakir posted:

So what I'm getting from this is that Ben has started hiring for the shill squad from his 'special friends'? Ghastly. I'll be refactoring my posting pipeline to fix this mistake promptly.

There are some things that just can't be refactored. Sorry, commando.

orcinus
Feb 25, 2016

Fun Shoe
I'm surprised Commandos o'da Browne Sea haven't latched on to the fact there's no piloting in Andromeda yet.
I'd say i was surprised they haven't latched on the fact it's third person yet too, but judging by their videos and the obsession with the player character looks, i'm guessing they "play" Star Citizen in third person view 99% of the time anyway.

Lazrin
Apr 13, 2016

THEN HE SAID..NO WAIT, LISTEN. THEN HE SAID 3.0 IS COMING OUT BY DEC 19TH 2016
:laffo:

G0RF posted:

You do have to admit-- this looks pretty cool, Lazrin. Can we agree on that much?

Oh man, I'm as touched as I am terrified!

it does indeed. but I'm just trying to temper the false alarms because they don't automatically mean 'bad' for cig and are hype in and of themselves. cig is doing that on they're own so i'm not even sure why anyone in this thread needs to somehow thump the chest of another project

TTerrible
Jul 15, 2005

peter gabriel posted:

LOL @ Leave it, ben, leave it.

There needs to be a blue plaque on your house.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

TTerrible posted:

LOL @ Leave it, ben, leave it.

There needs to be a blue plaque on your house.

Only if it desyncs sometimes and vanishes for a split second

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

orcinus posted:

I'm surprised Commandos o'da Browne Sea haven't latched on to the fact there's no piloting in Andromeda yet.
I'd say i was surprised they haven't latched on the fact it's third person yet too, but judging by their videos and the obsession with the player character looks, i'm guessing they "play" Star Citizen in third person view 99% of the time anyway.

Can't wank over your "special edition" autism chariot in first person, you know.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?

Lazrin posted:

from a company with 21years of experience

The CIG team lead by GAMING LEGEND CHRIST ROBERTS doesn't have the experience necessary to realize HIS VISION?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
Star Citizen - Real Eyes Realize Real Lies

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

Lazrin posted:

from a company with 21years of experience

where was the big show you promised?

Experience does not equate to competence.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

GUYS I JUST LOGGED IN AND FLEW A STARFARER

SHILLBRO IS TOTALLY RIGHT THIS IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCE CHANGED MY LIFE

JUST LOOK AT THAT AMAZING VIEW

Ezekeel
Nov 18, 2015

peter gabriel posted:

Brilliant.

Salt n Reba McEntire
Nov 14, 2000

Kuparp.

Lazrin posted:

I'm just trying to temper the false alarms

I hope this is a service you provide for free, sweetie.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

atxsperg posted:

thats like, your opinion man. I thought the trilogy was one of the greatest pieces of interactive fiction to ever be put out. until the last 15 minutes and that loving star child bullshit.

but even at its worse its laughable to compare it to whatever hackey crap croberts and co have done over the last 30 years.

I gave up on ME after the star child handwave.

I neither downloaded the patches nor bothered to allow EA / Bioware to "fix" their initial absolutely horrible narrative.

Though, I will buy and play ME: Andromeda, RIP Shepherd.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lazrin posted:

it does indeed. but I'm just trying to temper the false alarms because they don't automatically mean 'bad' for cig and are hype in and of themselves. cig is doing that on they're own so i'm not even sure why anyone in this thread needs to somehow thump the chest of another project

Because it's demeaning to CIG, silly. Don't you see how lovely everything CIG ever put out looks by comparison? Doesn't your shame triple every second? It should, you're a fool.

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

Lazrin posted:

I love Space Games, man-- I talk about them a lot. I

As to why they are germane in a Star Citizen conversation... Chris has more money for his game dev budgets than any AAA studio with titles in production. A lot more. And he and his talk shite about competitors and have declared parity with or superiority to some of the best studios in the world.

Such as when John Schimmel said Squadron 42 was going to "kick other games in the rear end", or when Chris said nobody could catch up with CIG now except maybe Rockstar. If it were true, it'd be tacky to be so bold. That it is obviously not invites derision.

Chris invites comparisons, despite the fact that, outside of the Dice Battlefield / Call of Duty rivalry, most game studios make a habit of NOT talking about their competition. They play each other's games, learn from them, and might end up working with teams at those studios down the road. Comity, man, as opposed to shittalk, is just how a nerdy industry like the VG world rolls.

If Chris and Sandi weren't so arrogant about everything I would think it rather distasteful to make too much noise about competitive threats. If they were humble, nice, thrifty studio leaders who were really struggling making their grand ambition come to light, I'd feel some empathy. I'd be readying the "At Least They Tried Narrative" in the event of their failure - whether at their own hands or from competitors.

Instead, it seems appropriate to size up the various competitive offerings coming out this year and next. Star Citizen, with $115M is game dev budget, will be expected to match AAA title quality from the big guys. And to soundly beat the indies like No Man's Sky, etc.

Right?

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

G0RF posted:

I love Space Games, man-- I talk about them a lot. I

As to why they are germane in a Star Citizen conversation... Chris has more money for his game dev budgets than any AAA studio with titles in production. A lot more. And he and his talk shite about competitors and have declared parity with or superiority to some of the best studios in the world.

Such as when John Schimmel said Squadron 42 was going to "kick other games in the rear end", or when Chris said nobody could catch up with CIG now except maybe Rockstar. If it were true, it'd be tacky to be so bold. That it is obviously not invites derision.

Chris invites comparisons, despite the fact that, outside of the Dice Battlefield / Call of Duty rivalry, most game studios make a habit of NOT talking about their competition. They play each other's games, learn from them, and might end up working with teams at those studios down the road. Comity, man, as opposed to shittalk, is just how a nerdy industry like the VG world rolls.

If Chris and Sandi weren't so arrogant about everything I would think it rather distasteful to make too much noise about competitive threats. If they were humble, nice, thrifty studio leaders who were really struggling making their grand ambition come to light, I'd feel some empathy. I'd be readying the "At Least They Tried Narrative" in the event of their failure - whether at their own hands or from competitors.

Instead, it seems appropriate to size up the various competitive offerings coming out this year and next. Star Citizen, with $115M is game dev budget, will be expected to match AAA title quality from the big guys. And to soundly beat the indies like No Man's Sky, etc.

Right?

Also, star citizen sucks

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

G0RF posted:

Right?

Here's how I think the funding vs dev played out.

10m - 5m spent - spaceship ads, hangar in the making,
30m - 15m spent - hangar demo, AC tech in the making, spaceship ads
50m - 30m spent - hangar demo, AC demo, AC MP in the making, Star Marine commissioned, parp ball commissioned, spaceship ads
60m - 40m spent - hangar demo, ac MP, SM demo, Parpball in the making, spaceship ads
80m - 60m spent - hangar demo, ac mp/sp, SM / parpball ready - prep for code merge, spaceship ads
100m - 90m spent - hangar demo, ac mp/sp, 64 bits, SM / Parpball shafted, spaceship ads
115m - 100m spent - hangar demo, ac demo, persistent crysis mod with workable SM assets, spaceship ads

Worth noting is that at every funding milestone, CIG could've taken out a loan based on "revenue earned" from banks. Banks love giving loans, as long as CIG proved themselves to have a revenue stream and could pay interest. So, technically they might've pockets 115m in cold hard cash, and running on deficits. Right uncle derek?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/06/liveblog-bethesdas-pre-e3-2016-press-conference/

I'm really hoping Bethesda announces "Project Starfield". :allears:

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I would be stressed out if I didn't know that the game was being worked on in secret versions behind the scenes that simultaneously justify my faith in Chris Roberts and fulfills my broken/delusional desire for a reality where I am not a sadbrain.

That has to be what's happening.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

star marine you guys!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4pY3hlQEOc0

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

no_recall posted:

Here's how I think the funding vs dev played out.

10m - 5m spent - spaceship ads, hangar in the making,
30m - 15m spent - hangar demo, AC tech in the making, spaceship ads
50m - 30m spent - hangar demo, AC demo, AC MP in the making, Star Marine commissioned, parp ball commissioned, spaceship ads
60m - 40m spent - hangar demo, ac MP, SM demo, Parpball in the making, spaceship ads
80m - 60m spent - hangar demo, ac mp/sp, SM / parpball ready - prep for code merge, spaceship ads
100m - 90m spent - hangar demo, ac mp/sp, 64 bits, SM / Parpball shafted, spaceship ads
115m - 100m spent - hangar demo, ac demo, persistent crysis mod with workable SM assets, spaceship ads

Well there's a lot of luxury items not included in this list but otherwise, yeah!

quote:

Worth noting is that at every funding milestone, CIG could've taken out a loan based on "revenue earned" from banks. Banks love giving loans, as long as CIG proved themselves to have a revenue stream and could pay interest. So, technically they might've pockets 115m in cold hard cash, and running on deficits. Right uncle derek?
I think external funding via debt instruments is quite plausible. Yet we're seeing signs that they are growing more sensitive to cost-- such as Tyler's discussion about bandwidth / Evocati, Ben's discussions of being smart about spending money at Gamescom, etc.

They may have modeled steady state spacepixel revenues for this year and are now responding appropriately to the unexpected shortfalls. They are definitely burning cash now. We'll know how much cash they have left by how urgently and deeply they trim in response...

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Beet said I had to post this you guys:

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Foo Diddley posted:

Beet said I had to post this you guys:

I just wanted you all to know I've been a Secret Citizen in this for the long con.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Did you guys know Star Citizen is actually good and fun to play?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

That looked like a lot of fun, I get the feeling this will be the better MP while CoD will be better SP. (does Battlefield even have a campaign?)

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

That looked like a lot of fun, I get the feeling this will be the better MP while CoD will be better SP. (does Battlefield even have a campaign?)

Probably, but battlefield single player campaigns have almost always been hot trash

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

G0RF posted:

It's true!

She can't be a game dev, there's not even a sniff of any restoration furniture anywhere in that photo. How can she dev without highly expensive driftwood? The door in the background isn't even a powered one made to look like a spaceship airlock!!!

And where's their 20k coffee machine dammit??? :confused:

atxsperg
Jan 29, 2016

I like cats for their cuddles, but hate the boxes of shit.

Sabreseven posted:

She can't be a game dev, there's not even a sniff of any restoration furniture anywhere in that photo. How can she dev without highly expensive driftwood? The door in the background isn't even a powered one made to look like a spaceship airlock!!!

And where's their 20k coffee machine dammit??? :confused:

the austin office was outfitted with ikea desks. perfectly reasonable. the other offices (LA, etc) are retarded.
the level of retardation rises the closer you get to the snake head.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Beet Wagon posted:

Did you guys know Star Citizen is actually good and fun to play?

Why yes I did know that!

Fat Shat Sings
Jan 24, 2016
I also like how shitizens being defensive about the extravagant expenditures say things like "What you expect them to sit in $10 plastic lawn furniture?"

You heard it here folks, there are no steps between a $10 plastic chair and a $3200 chair made out of Hitler's personal Messerschmitt BF 109.

EminusSleepus
Sep 28, 2015

atxsperg posted:

the austin office was outfitted with ikea desks. perfectly reasonable. the other offices (LA, etc) are retarded.
the level of retardation rises the closer you get to the snake head.

they have to be retarded to be supported by retarded backers

a whole buncha crows
May 8, 2003

WHEN WE DON'T KNOW WHO TO HATE, WE HATE OURSELVES.-SA USER NATION (AKA ME!)

Beet Wagon posted:

GUYS I JUST LOGGED IN AND FLEW A STARFARER

SHILLBRO IS TOTALLY RIGHT THIS IMMERSIVE EXPERIENCE CHANGED MY LIFE

JUST LOOK AT THAT AMAZING VIEW

HAHhahahaHAHA.... HHAAhahaha

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

G0RF posted:

It's true!

:vince:

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

AP posted:

I've been on the internet a long while now and in my opinion Gorf is a funny and intelligent guy who makes the world a better place, while in the short time I've spent reading your whine I'm being to suspect you're a complete arsehole.
Rate me next.

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Nation posted:

HAHhahahaHAHA.... HHAAhahaha

It's like being an ear mite, trapped in a Cylons head. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
PGabz's video flying around outside with no suit on made me remember a post from a ways back about how they were going to model the amount of oxygen in your bloodstream and in the pipes coming from your air supply etc. I do remember that right? Good times.

• Locked thread