Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Soul Glo posted:

:lol: Amazon sellers got me on that one. It's still going in my Izzet Commander deck :toot:

Always be sure to compare prices so you aren't blowing $20 on a card some people might even give you for free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agentdark
Dec 30, 2007
Mom says I'm the best painter she's ever seen. Jealous much? :hehe:
I would not have given the card back. If the person is not like, 12 or brand new, its really not your responsibility.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
If you're paying 3-4 times the normal draft price explicitly for the chance to open money cards, it's kind of your own fault if you don't know what the money cards are.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

New thread discussion: To give to the new player or to not.

Giving to the new player yields no monetary value but it nets you potential feelgoods.

But if you don't you could get all that value.

Let's ask LSV.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Let me just get it out of the way: everyone should have their smartphone ready with enough battery power to look through prices and if not that's your fault and you deserve to get fleeced for being ignorant.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
It's not like McMagic told the guy it was a bad card or anything, it was a decision they made on their own.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Count Bleck posted:

Giving to the new player yields no monetary value but it nets you potential feelgoods.

Let's ask LSV.

I have a feeling LSV would in that scenario give it back, but he really A. isn't concerned by value in a draft and B. understands he is an unofficial ambassador of the game. It really depends on who passes the card in most scenarios. There are plenty of people at my LGS who if they passed me a foil Sneak Attack I wouldn't think twice, and some people I'd absolutely offer it back. It is never a black and white choice.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Chill la Chill posted:

Let me just get it out of the way: everyone should have their smartphone ready with enough battery power to look through prices and if not that's your fault and you deserve to get fleeced for being ignorant.

You can't look up card prices in the middle of a draft, it's outside information.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Count Bleck posted:

Let's ask LSV.

LSV would never consider bulk value.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

BJPaskoff posted:

You can't look up card prices in the middle of a draft, it's outside information.

Isn't discussing what is in the packs currently drafted also a violation of some sort?

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
As the kind of super-casual, pays-no-attention-to-prices, 30-something-with-disposable-income who could've been the other party in the mcmagic story had I attended any EMA drafts: how do people even determine prices for this kind of reprint set in the first minutes/days of its release?

Is it based on buylist preorders, the value of the original print (presumably especially hard if, as seems the case with Sneak Attack, there isn't even a foil version unless you count the judge promo), something else?

Probably moot in this specific case, when the original, non-foiled card was going for the cost of the entire draft or more ($30-70 going by TCGPlayer)...but still made me curious.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Drafted a friend's box of Eternal Masters today. It was all a bunch of Netrunner players drafting, and then there's me, the guy who drafts all the time (and also plays Netrunner, but still). Ended up crushing the round robin dropping all of 1 game with RB. Beetleback Chief is an absurd card.

Also, bought a couple of packs on a whim and I am now a proud Wasteland haver :toot:. (Other cards were Dack Fayden, Deathrite Shaman, Toxic Deluge, Giant Solifuge, Foil Xanthid Swarm, Foil Faithless Looting).

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Count Bleck posted:

Because it's a lot harder to get playsets of foil everything for a set than a regular set of everything.

For redemption purposes, of course.

That's a nice theory, but you mainly see the price difference in promos and non-redeemable sets. I would suppose that it's more likely players just want to have their entire deck matching instead of having a mix of foils and non-foils.

Chase foils in redeemable sets typically are more expensive than the non-foil version, because a foil redemption set is more valuable to cash out.

Sigma-X
Jun 17, 2005

bitprophet posted:

As the kind of super-casual, pays-no-attention-to-prices, 30-something-with-disposable-income who could've been the other party in the mcmagic story had I attended any EMA drafts: how do people even determine prices for this kind of reprint set in the first minutes/days of its release?

Is it based on buylist preorders, the value of the original print (presumably especially hard if, as seems the case with Sneak Attack, there isn't even a foil version unless you count the judge promo), something else?

Probably moot in this specific case, when the original, non-foiled card was going for the cost of the entire draft or more ($30-70 going by TCGPlayer)...but still made me curious.

People preorder cards and those preorder prices drive the initial market for new cards that haven't been played with before.

For reprint sets, the existing market is there and this is just new supply.

Check out the set on tcgplayer or start city before drafting a new set and make note of the cards that are worth more than the cost of a pack.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

bitprophet posted:

This set is all reprints, so it mostly goes by what the old versions of the cards go for, with the only real wrinkle being that there's a premium on foils of Legacy staples that have never had a foil version in paper before, like Pyroblast.

For any new set, the major online vendors like Star City have a ton of influence. They basically guess at prices, and then react to demand. They'll list a new rare at $5 or something if they aren't sure about it, and if they get a ton of preorders for it before the set is even out they'll jack up the price. And then prices swing around a bit when the set comes out and people actually get to play with the cards and some decks turn out to be worse or better than people thought they would be.

A set like Eternal Masters is going to have way, way, way less price swings than any Standard set, just by virtue of being 100% reprints. There's no card in the set that people aren't sure about the playability of yet. Force of Will is a known quantity.

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003
I don't think I would give the new player the card. It's a draft - you take cards, you pass them. I'm not about to tell people how to play.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

BJPaskoff posted:

Oh, huh. This is one rule I'm glad all of the LGSs I frequent don't care about. Though for all anyone at the table knows, I'm just answering a text message.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Chill la Chill posted:

Oh, huh. This is one rule I'm glad all of the LGSs I frequent don't care about. Though for all anyone at the table knows, I'm just answering a text message.
Next time I'm gonna text you the details of your opponent's hand.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Next time I'm gonna text you the details of your opponent's hand.

Yeah ok dude try being the guy who tells people at FNM they can't answer their phones.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

In the middle of a draft? Sure.

Dingus Egg
May 23, 2005

Legend has it the world was hatched from a dingus egg.

Chill la Chill posted:

Yeah ok dude try being the guy who tells people at FNM they can't answer their phones.

Pretty sure you'd get some weird looks at my LGS for using your phone during a draft, at least.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Snacksmaniac posted:

I am still going to answer that text, you can mean mug me all you want bitch. This is fnm.

:boom:

Sickening fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Jun 13, 2016

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Snacksmaniac posted:

Wow you run a real uptight shop. Light-hearted drafting is the way to go.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I'd be kinda annoyed at someone spent a ton of time looking at their phone during a draft, though it'd be way more the "goddamnit man the entire table is waiting for you to pick, why are you even here if you just want to play with your phone instead of playing the game?" factor rather than any concerns about cheating.

Skyl3lazer
Aug 27, 2007

[Dooting Stealthily]

Snacksmaniac posted:

Lol you're the guy who bitches if two friends are chatting during the draft aren't you.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

If you're answering a text that's fine but if you're using the world's information during a draft, that's a little irritating.

Jabor posted:

I'd be kinda annoyed at someone spent a ton of time looking at their phone during a draft, though it'd be way more the "goddamnit man the entire table is waiting for you to pick, why are you even here if you just want to play with your phone instead of playing the game?" factor rather than any concerns about cheating.
And this.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Jabor posted:

We all had our phones out to see what stuff was worth and it went fine the first time. The 2nd time when the guy next to me apparently had to look up every single card was not fine.

Skyl3lazer posted:

Lol you're the guy who bitches if two friends are chatting during the draft aren't you.

Are they sitting next to each other and talking about the cards they're taking/passing?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Lower level events are about having fun. Peoples view of what is fun varies. Essentially, you will never make every person at your event happy. It is best to state your stores rules before you start every tournament so their is a clear understanding of how things will go down.

Also, stay off your drat phone and make your pick already.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I'm gonna start the "it takes 15 seconds, at which time other people may also be looking up 'texts'" and "no it doesn't it takes literally 3 minutes" argument.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS
What's the point of even drafting if you're worried about the worth of cards? If you're drafting to play the game and then pull the cards of the archetype you want to play regardless of what's the worth is

If you're drafting to pull money cards and the actual game play is secondary then just go crack packs by yourself.

TLDR: Drafting is loving stupid.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

80s James Hetfield posted:

What's the point of even drafting if you're worried about the worth of cards? If you're drafting to play the game and then pull the cards of the archetype you want to play regardless of what's the worth is

If you're drafting to pull money cards and the actual game play is secondary then just go crack packs by yourself.

This is dumb and wrong. There is definitely a happy balance between those 2 things and drafting is cool, fun and good.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Seeing a draft that's proceeding as quiet as a library is the worst thing. I've seen it before. It's maddening.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

The whole point of drafting EMA is to distract yourself from the fact that you're paying 50$ for what are essentially lottery tickets. Except you don't win money, you win a piece of cardboard and you can brag about how much that piece of cardboard is theoretically worth.

80s James Hetfield
Jan 20, 2004

METAL UP YOUR ASS

mcmagic posted:

This is dumb and wrong. There is definitely a happy balance between those 2 things and drafting is cool, fun and good.

The whole point of drafting is to put together a deck from the pack of cards you're given. If after 2 packs you're running solely U/G and in your 3rd pack you pull the hot new white mythic and you take it for the only reason that it's $45.00 you've ruined what the point of drafting is.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

The whole point of drafting is to put together a deck from the pack of cards you're given. If after 2 packs you're running solely U/G and in your 3rd pack you pull the hot new white mythic and you take it for the only reason that it's $45.00 you've ruined what the point of drafting is.

No you haven't. This isn't the friggin PT, you're at a LGS drafting for fun and if you rare draft to make your deck 1 card worse but up the EV of your draft there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I have no idea what the first part of your post is trying to say but I agree. I also would pass a foil Tarmogoyf for a Burst Lightning, even at FNM. In fact I've never drafted a rare in my life, just in case it became valuable in the future.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The point of this card game is to have fun, imo.

Pulling down a Dark Confidant in pack 3 when I was in Affinity in a draft in a buddy's living room was pretty goshdarn fun.

Your argument might make sense if Efro or whoever starts rare drafting while at PT EMN because, yeah, they're supposedly there to win a PT.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

Seeing a draft that's proceeding as quiet as a library is the worst thing. I've seen it before. It's maddening.

:agreed:

and also reason #53 im never going to be seriously competitive about this card game

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Are you going to play all 45 of your drafted cards in your deck?

If not, what's the difference between drafting some marginal card that you won't play 12th pick and raredrafting a card that will pay for another draft 1st pick?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

source your quotes? stop trolling?

• Locked thread