Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Repeating unfounded rumours was totally worth it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."
Some more DLC was announced for Gundam Breaker 3, the Ball, Kimaris and AGE-FX, which will come after the Rick Dias and Hyaku Shiki customs on Thursday. Don't know how they will be released in relation to Barbatos form 6.

Kimaris and the FX have bits I'd like to use, but I would have liked the Graze. Also Reborns Gundam but that probably won't happen.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Hi guys, just finished watching Gundam X, the first time in two years I've sat down and watched an almost-full length Gundam series. (39 eps is close enough to count as full length, I think.)

I thought it was excellent. I wouldn't want its explanations for how things work to be canon for the UC, but for their one-off universe it's pretty fantastic to have (finale spoiler)"Newtypes are just one-off mutants, not the next stage of human development, so stop worrying so much about them" be the canonical explanation for Newtypes, given how obsessed everyone is over them. Also, that everyone is so obsessed with people with full-blown Newtype powers that a pair of brothers who have sub-Newtype abilities and can only psychically communicate with each other are treated as useless, and end up being some of the most impressive bastards in any Gundam series as a result.

I also love the "The New Federation and the New Space Revolutionary Army are both insufferable bastards, but neither is really the villain, the antagonist is the forces that make them want to fight each other" angle. I feel that Gundam shows approach that theme but always back away from it, right back to the first series where Zeon is flat-out worse than the Federation, even if the Federation isn't exactly good. Gundam X changes the script to "can the protagonists reconcile these two lovely governments to stop shooting at each other so their people don't have to die in a pointless war," which is a good angle.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Gundam X changes the script to "can the protagonists reconcile these two lovely governments to stop shooting at each other so their people don't have to die in a pointless war," which is a good angle.

isn't that also kinda how turn a works?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

Also CCA (in a way), G-Reco, SEED...

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

ninjewtsu posted:

Yes, and most of Turn A is trying to negotiate hilariously short-lived ceasefires between the Moonrace and the people of Earth. The thing that makes Turn A interesting in that angle is both the peace and war factions of the Moonrace want to totally emigrate to Earth, just peacefully vs violently, and so even the doves in the Moonrace are sticking out a position that's incompatible with the hawks on Earth who don't want the Moonrace taking up big chunks of land.

Turn A is a great series that hammers home very serious themes while being very, very silly indeed and having the most hilarious names in any Gundam series (I didn't even blink that Gundam X had a character named D.O.M.E., after "Agrippa Maintainer" D.O.M.E. is a perfectly reasonable name).

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Yes, and most of Turn A is trying to negotiate hilariously short-lived ceasefires between the Moonrace and the people of Earth. The thing that makes Turn A interesting in that angle is both the peace and war factions of the Moonrace want to totally emigrate to Earth, just peacefully vs violently, and so even the doves in the Moonrace are sticking out a position that's incompatible with the hawks on Earth who don't want the Moonrace taking up big chunks of land.

Turn A is a great series that hammers home very serious themes while being very, very silly indeed and having the most hilarious names in any Gundam series (I didn't even blink that Gundam X had a character named D.O.M.E., after "Agrippa Maintainer" D.O.M.E. is a perfectly reasonable name).

I loved how the sides shifted in Turn A, because what was most important to mapping out what a character would do was their personal agendas more than their faction.

Guin wanted to improve Earth's position, so he tried to keep a balance with the Moon where they'd go "Don't want a fight here!", giving good peace terms without actually wrecking everyone's stuff. Ultimately, he and a lot of the Moonrace wanted the same thing. They just disagreed on the price.

Meanwhile, most of his militia was much more "MOONIES GO HOME!", which meant they frequently undermined his efforts while still being, ostensibly, on the same side. And Guin couldn't call them out, or he'd risk outright mutiny.

Good show. And yes. It really could be goofy.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
I'm getting really tired of Gundam UC Re:0096's cold opens being multiple minutes of recapping every plot point that's happened since the start. If it didn't have a narrator actually telling you what they're trying to highlight, it would be "previously on X-Men" bad. Is there even any new footage in this show? It's padded as gently caress but I don't feel like I've seen anything new so far in eleven episodes.

S.D.
Apr 28, 2008
There was a post someone made in this thread about Kamille's mindset at the beginning of Zeta (the basic gist being 'angry teen with disintegrating family and mild AEUG sympathies who just wants to see giant robots' on that fateful day), which was a jpg of a post they made on Gamefaqs. Does anyone still have that, or at least know what I'm talking about?

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

The Muffinlord posted:

I'm getting really tired of Gundam UC Re:0096's cold opens being multiple minutes of recapping every plot point that's happened since the start. If it didn't have a narrator actually telling you what they're trying to highlight, it would be "previously on X-Men" bad. Is there even any new footage in this show? It's padded as gently caress but I don't feel like I've seen anything new so far in eleven episodes.

I quoted this post to find out if the filter changed Mad Men to X-Men

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfmqSOr2-NY

I meant what I said.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Our brave hero Loran Cehack, kneed in the nuts.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Our brave hero Loran Cehack, kneed in the nuts.

better get used to that

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wonderful. I mean that.

E: Also wonderful: farmers using truck stunts to clown moonmen.

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 12, 2016

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Droyer posted:

better get used to that

Turn A has a great grasp of lowbrow humor. It plays well off the way no-one except Harry has any idea how to fight at the start of the series.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Loran has been pretty much naked for four in four episodes. I'm counting the undie scene with Keith. Literally right after his boss' funeral.

I am also very happy that people insist on referring to the Turn A as "the mustached mobile suit."

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Waffleman_ posted:

Loran has been pretty much naked for four in four episodes. I'm counting the undie scene with Keith. Literally right after his boss' funeral.

I am also very happy that people insist on referring to the Turn A as "the mustached mobile suit."

Is Turn A hard to follow at first, for you? It took me until about 10 eps in until I was comfortable with who is who and how they relate to each other.

I wasn't sure whether I liked or hated that Loran had no idea of how to do anything with the Turn A Gundam. He just sort of blunders around and relies on the Turn A's near-invincibility to give him time to blunder into a solution. I suppose it's a nice contrast to, say, Gundam Wing's Heero Yuy's tiresome hypercompetence and terribly smug resulting attitude.

Of course, the show I just finished, Gundam X, had a Gundam that basically had an "I win" button installed and the entire first arc of that show had battles that were waiting for Garrod Ran to remember that he can literally call down an orbital laser bombardment. Turn A's bumbling is probably pretty refreshing considering it was the show that came after X.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Patter Song posted:

Is Turn A hard to follow at first, for you? It took me until about 10 eps in until I was comfortable with who is who and how they relate to each other.

I wasn't sure whether I liked or hated that Loran had no idea of how to do anything with the Turn A Gundam. He just sort of blunders around and relies on the Turn A's near-invincibility to give him time to blunder into a solution. I suppose it's a nice contrast to, say, Gundam Wing's Heero Yuy's tiresome hypercompetence and terribly smug resulting attitude.

Of course, the show I just finished, Gundam X, had a Gundam that basically had an "I win" button installed and the entire first arc of that show had battles that were waiting for Garrod Ran to remember that he can literally call down an orbital laser bombardment. Turn A's bumbling is probably pretty refreshing considering it was the show that came after X.

Something I liked is that Loran spent a lot of time with the little manual. He's not a great pilot, but he knows he's not a great pilot and is trying to remedy that, because Loran Cehack is a man who takes his job seriously.

It's also great how some of the pilots whose asses he kicked assumed that his bumbling was basically him making fun of their lovely piloting skills.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Gundam Breaker 3 1.10 update is out. Changes I've noted so far:

-DLC data is installed, but the DLC isn't available for SG accounts yet.
-Orange abilities now display what they actually do, before changing to display their name instead. This seems to loop every ten seconds or something, but it's not exceptionally quick.
-You can no longer reroll the top 4 slots in Bounty Hunter mode. The other slots can be rerolled, but those four remain locked.
-Elemental bonuses now properly combine during merge, so the highest one is used as the base for the merge

Additionally, the weird rear end glitch where you look at some parts' stats and stuff and they start flickering is still there.

Kurui Reiten fucked around with this message at 11:28 on Jun 13, 2016

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Gundam X is fantastic. I'd love to see ovas fill in for the rushed ending.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ka0 posted:

Gundam X is fantastic. I'd love to see ovas fill in for the rushed ending.

I do feel that (a) by removing much of its ambiguity, they dealt with the UC's Newtype narrative less effectively and interestingly, and that (b) the message of 'geez, would you stop obsessing over Newtypes already' fell pretty flat given the enormous power that we saw Newtypes display over the course of the series. I mean, it's all well and good to say they're people like anyone else, but when you have people who can act as living lie detectors, control entire robot armies, and call down giant, city-demolishing microwave beams from the sky, any sensible politician is going to shape policy around that fact. The final battle being won by one last Newtype miracle didn't help matters much, either. The UC's take of 'OK, we know people with incredible psychic powers exist, and we have a half-decent idea of how they're created, so how do we deal with that?' seems a lot more plausible and fruitful.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

I like X, but I have an issue with its stance on newtypes in relation to the rest of the franchise. I feel that even if X isn't part of UC, the reveal that newtypes ultimately aren't special is an anit-transhumanist statement meant to refute UCs pro-transhumanist statement regarding newtypes. Only i don't think UC has that message. In UC I think that newtypes are supposed to represent the best humans can be, and that they are only made an "evolution" of mankind due to the sci-fi trappings of the show. I don't think the message was ever that humans need to literally evolve, which is why I think X takes it a bit too much at face-value and it falls flat.

Luceid
Jan 20, 2005

Buy some freaking medicine.

Patter Song posted:

Gundam Wing's Heero Yuy's tiresome hypercompetence and terribly smug resulting attitude.

i used to think this until i rewatched wing like last year at someone else's behest, and the way everything comes off in the show just makes him and everyone other than quatre look like a complete dope with no idea what they're doing. it's the best. heero yuy is the kind of guy who thinks the best way to go undercover is to introduce yourself as your wingman, and then immediately read out a mile-long hate speech to what amounts to a homeroom class.

wing is life, friend.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I am very lukewarm on X but I feel it mostly got to end the way it wanted even though it was rushed.

I get the impression that more episodes would just mean yet another story arc where the Frost brothers are behind everything and then they get beaten easily once uncovered and etc.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The Frost brothers are lame!!

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Patter Song posted:

I like it, since it ties into Turn A's general theme of few involved really understanding the gravity of war or even how to fight; even the most trained members of the Moonrace know only training exercises.

My favorite example (spoilering for Waffleman's sake because it's a pretty great moment) is Gym being dogshit with that sword he carried around all the time, getting stomped by a guy who's only touched one once before.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Patter Song posted:

Not super hard to follow, but I don't think the series' events have hit into the right groove of how most of the series will go yet, and I'm starting to get a hang of people's names, but I still sometimes forget.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
One thing I will say about Gundam X's ending is that Ennil and Toniya just deciding to elope together was hilarious.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Darth Walrus posted:

One thing I will say about Gundam X's ending is that Ennil and Toniya just deciding to elope together was hilarious.

You read some bad subs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Tae posted:

You read some bad subs.

* whoosh *

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Luceid posted:

i used to think this until i rewatched wing like last year at someone else's behest, and the way everything comes off in the show just makes him and everyone other than quatre look like a complete dope with no idea what they're doing. it's the best. heero yuy is the kind of guy who thinks the best way to go undercover is to introduce yourself as your wingman, and then immediately read out a mile-long hate speech to what amounts to a homeroom class.

wing is life, friend.

SOMEONE ELSE UNDERSTANDS!

Wing is about a bunch of crazy people who are way too young to have anywhere near as much power and/or influence on the entire world acting out on their impulses. Nobody who is important in Wing is sane in any measurable way, and most are really bad at what they do.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
I'm tired of posting General Septum so instead let's revisit the most important scene in all the gundam franchise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4U4FkGe3Sw

closeted republican
Sep 9, 2005

Darth Walrus posted:

Those two were so gay for each other as soon as they met.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gundam X was nice, and while there are some issues with its message I still find it enjoyable. The way I looked at it was through the context of its setting: Now that civilization has taken a serious hit after moonbeam apocalypse, and the whole world is trying to rebuild, maybe it just shouldn't matter if you're a space psychic. There are more important things to worry about than giant robot death squads. Like love.:swoon:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I really should get around to seeing Turn A and Gundam X.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

I really should get around to seeing Turn A and Gundam X.

You would have some things to say about Turn A's clothing, I imagine.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Midjack posted:

You would have some things to say about Turn A's clothing, I imagine.

I imagine I'd enjoy it if is over the top, but I'm more of a weird turbo nerd when it comes to military style clothing. Also, I really need to write about the Titans at some point but it so hard and it might just end with me yelling at Monsha.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I imagine I'd enjoy it if is over the top, but I'm more of a weird turbo nerd when it comes to military style clothing. Also, I really need to write about the Titans at some point but it so hard and it might just end with me yelling at Monsha.

And just for variety's sake...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Gundam X is the only Gundam series to get evolution right. There is no next stage of evolution. It's just mutants all the way down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I could be remembering incorrectly or basing this on translation liberties but the original works focus less on evolution and more on it being a stage of human development and adaptation to a new "freer" environment.